I don't have to change yet so

Best 

3pt New Mystery

2pt Shadow Dragon

1pt Conquest

Worst 

3pt Genalogy

2pt Gaiden

1pt Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light ~ I still prefer this localization, but I can see clearly that other voters prefer dark dragon or simply FE1.

I disagree with this idea- for one thing, look at the first round- The shuffling between Blazing Sword, Genealogy, and Awakening would keep them from being tiered for like +5 rounds, when they are easily the most played and referenced games, despite their divisiveness. It would be silly to have these games occupy a "mid tier" position. Using a subtraction metric would allow outlier games to be placed FAR too early.

I agree that at about rounds 4-6 we will have a risk of a game winning worst and best at same time.

If a lot of people like something and a lot of people don't like it, doesn't that mean it is mid tier? Thinking otherwise is basically just ignoring the opinions of half the voters.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still the same, save for FE7 of course.

Best

3 points - Geneology
2 points - Sacred Stones

Worst

3 points - Path of Radiance
2 points - Radiant Dawn
1 point - Binding Blade

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

If a lot of people like something and a lot of people don't like it, doesn't that mean it is mid tier? Thinking otherwise is basically just ignoring the opinions of half the voters.

I would say no to this, because if games are "neutralized" like this, then things like sacred stones, binding blade, FE3, will be placed among the top games, when even most of the people voting them would have expected them to be mid tier! They will lack negative votes that they would have if they were being voted on in a later round as in this stage and the next few- negative votes will be used on the divisive/ hated games and not on some stuff that people don't have strong feelings for or against.

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think it'd be better to just have two lists and subtract the worst from best and best from worst. Combining them into two and having the worst serve as negative points means games that no one mentions at all will end up coming worse than games people actively think are the worst.

the two lists would be literally the same except reversed >_>

x-y = -(y-x)

26 minutes ago, Reality said:

The shuffling between Blazing Sword, Genealogy, and Awakening would keep them from being tiered for like +5 rounds, when they are easily the most played and referenced games, despite their divisiveness.

Someone else would have to do the math, but I'm pretty sure FE7 would still have won last round. If half the people think a game is the best and half think it's the worst, I find it hard to say it's the best received.

Edited by Nobody

Best:

3 pts - Sacred Stones

2 pts - Binding Blade

1 pt - Path of Radiance

Without FE7.

Worst:

3 pts - Birthright

2 pts - Shadow Dragon

1 pt - Conquest

Without Revelation.

Have not played 1-3, & 5

Best:

3pts: Path of Radiance 

2pts: Genealogy of the Holy War

1pts: Fates: Conquest 

Worst:

3pts: Shadow Dragon

2pts: Awakening

1pts: Fates: Birthright

Edit: Took out Rev and Blazing Blade I didn't read the whole thread last night.

Edited by Locke087

Sacred Stones r1 26 -5

Blazing sword r1 36-17

The math. It's much more extreme with stuff like awakening/genalogy of course, neutralization almost threatened to keep them single digit. I'm singling out SS here, but I might get around to doing the others.

And that pretty much sums up why I don't see why we should change from the precedent of how votes counted in the reddit version of the thread.

Edited by Reality

Not 100% reliable, but here's what I got:

Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light -36
Gaiden -16
Mystery of the Emblem +1
Genealogy of the Holy War +18
Thracia 776 +27
Binding Blade +8
Blazing Blade +28
Sacred Stones +22
Path of Radiance +9
Radiant Dawn +8
Shadow Dragon -22
New Mystery of the Emblem +4
Awakening -4
Revelation -52
Conquest +19
Birthright -16

Fates -1 (For those that didn't specified)

Heroes +3 (There was one, so it's here for completion's sake)

Mmm, Revelations and FE7 made neither of my first trios. But I'm modifiying my worst trio regardless after a change of heart.

Best

3 - Sacred Stones

2 - Conquest

1 - Path of Radiance

Worst

3 - Shadow Dragon 

2 - Gaiden

1 - Thraccia 776

Best

Awakening - 3 points

Radiant Dawn - 2 points

Sacred Stones - 1 point

Worst

Gaiden - 3 points

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - 2 points

Birthright - 1 point

(I've not played 3-6 or 12)

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

the two lists would be literally the same except reversed >_>

x-y = -(y-x)

Someone else would have to do the math, but I'm pretty sure FE7 would still have won last round. If half the people think a game is the best and half think it's the worst, I find it hard to say it's the best received.

Hmm You're right. Not sure what kind of maths I was using. I was thinking the games that aren't mentioned at all would be aversely affected but the fact of the matter is that if a game is getting more positive votes than negative votes then they do deserve to be held over higher than a game that gets no votes at all. At least using the same logic I would to argue that if a game is decisive then it should be mid tier.

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

If we don't combine the scores, doesn't that mean a game can in theory be both the best and worst one simultaneously, or am I just imagining things?

it does. That's my biggest problem with it.

Best

1) FE12 - 3

2) FE6 - 2

3) FE10 - 1

Something tells me FE5 would surpass FE10 to be honest but I have barely played the game. I think 12 was solid outside of the Chris shit - the games difficulty is incredible in my opinion and the lower difficulties have a flavorful amount of units to choose from. I loved FE3 Book 2 and I felt that this game was well done. It's a damn shame it was never printed to the US - I feel this game would have gotten them out of their rut faster than Awakening, but I know many players disliked Shadow Dragon too (which looking back is a better game than some give it credit for). FE6 makes the player think outside the box at times and the power level throughout the game between playable characters and enemies seems well balanced. I even enjoy the story to some extent. The only flaws I have are Axes should have been given a little more love in Hit rates and weapon ranks made a little less shit for building. Radiant Dawn is pretty interesting from having to manage a lot of different things between armies to maximize output in all of them. Story is so so but the maps are very cool and have a lot of interesting mechanics.

Honorable mention goes to Conquest because, though its story arc is really bad, I commend them for trying and at least making yet again another challenging but rather enjoyable hard game. Outside of Chapter 10.

Worst

1) FE2 - 3

2) Revelations - 2

3) Awakening - 1

Realistically Gaiden is a pretty bad game. It's a game that just has a lot of things that either make it too easy or too frustrating. I still enjoy Awakening from time but it is incredibly flawed in a lot of ways in a difficulty perspective. The story is really rigid and I feel it just stems from the so-called Avatar and its odd plot devices. I wouldn't say it's a terrible game, but definitely flawed. Revelations is a joke game too - I talked to some people who even felt robbed after buying Revelations.

Dishonorable mention probably goes to FE9. Maniac Mode is pretty garbage, but the game has a lot of upsides to it in its story being fairly solid and the like. BEXP is a dumb mechanic though rofl.

Edited by Colonel M

On 08/04/2017 at 9:45 AM, Shin said:

Best;

3 pts - Geneaology
2 pts - GLORY TO THRACIA
1 pt -  Path of Radiance

Worst;
3 pts - Radiant Dawn
2 pts - New Mystery of the Emblem
1 pt - Awakening

12 hours ago, Nobody said:

BTW Jedi, what do you think of "subtracting" a game's negative points from its positive ones and then determinating the game ranking based on that?

Like, if Game A has 50 points as the best and 15 as the worst. Then it actual score would be 35. If game B has 20 points as the best and 35 as the worst, its score would be -15. I think it'd give more accurate results. It also prevents a game from being simutaneosly ranked as both best and worst as it's possible right now. I actually suspect that might eventually happen to Radiant dawn, which is a very divisive entry. By ranking the games as positive - negative points and then getting the ones with the most and least points, you not only get a more representative list but also get rid of this problem.

To put it simply, the first list would be positive points, the second one would be negative points. You subtract the second list from the first. The game with the most points is the best of the round and the one with the least is the worst.

I'll think about that, but considering the reddit deal didn't have to worry about that, I don't really see the reason to worry about it here, although our first result is a fair bit different than theirs.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I'll think about that, but considering the reddit deal didn't have to worry about that, I don't really see the reason to worry about it here, although our first result is a fair bit different than theirs.

Isn't it a bit odd that Game A can get -10, while game B can get -20 and +15 and still be ranked lower? It doesn't make any sense to me to not combine the results.

I've only played the localized handheld titles, but may as well give this a shot.

Best:
Shadow Dragon +3
Fates Conquest +2
Sacred Stones +1

Worst:
Heroes -1 (played a bit of it on a friend's phone, didn't like it much)
Fates Birthright -2
Awakening -3

Edited by The DanMan

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

I've only played the localized handheld titles, but may as well give this a shot.

Best:
Shadow Dragon +3
Blazing Blade +2
Fates Conquest +1

Worst:
Sacred Stones -1
Fates Revelation -2
Awakening -3

You can't vote for FE7 or RV this round, they were already placed.