Jump to content
Natalie

Natalie's Art (New: Sumia)

Recommended Posts

You're a lot better than most artist I see when they start out with digital art, especially your sense of picking colors is much better. Though there are quite some issues with the anatomy, but that's something that'll get better with practice over time.

It'd also be good idea to take a look at how different materials react to light. In your Lyn artwork for example the clothes and the hair both have very bright and fairly sharp highlights. But clothing is less reflective than hair, so the highlight wouldn't be as sharp and bright as they are now. One thing that helps me a lot when doing the shading is to view your image in grayscale from time to time. It helps to check the contrast and if the artwork reads correctly. Another thing to keep in mind is having a consistent light source, because now it sometimes feels like it's all over the place.

The hair also needs some work. Someone already pointed out that it feels clumpy. Another thing I noticed on the Eirika an Lyn artworks is how messy the shading on the hair looks. It feels like you've used a lot of short and thin paint strokes in some area's. Start of with a thicker brush and lay down the basic lights and shadows of the hair. Then gradually make your brush thinner to create the texture and details of the hair.

I hope this helps, because I know learning to draw digitally can be quite hard. It takes a lot of practice to get the hand-eye-coordination down with a tablet.

A site you might find interesting is https://www.ctrlpaint.com/ They have a nice introduction to digital painting. You're also free to hit me up on one of my social media for advice. I'm more active there, so more likely to respond.

https://www.instagram.com/sd.sietje/
http://sie-tje.tumblr.com/
http://sie-tje.deviantart.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sietje said:

You're a lot better than most artist I see when they start out with digital art, especially your sense of picking colors is much better. Though there are quite some issues with the anatomy, but that's something that'll get better with practice over time.

It'd also be good idea to take a look at how different materials react to light. In your Lyn artwork for example the clothes and the hair both have very bright and fairly sharp highlights. But clothing is less reflective than hair, so the highlight wouldn't be as sharp and bright as they are now. One thing that helps me a lot when doing the shading is to view your image in grayscale from time to time. It helps to check the contrast and if the artwork reads correctly. Another thing to keep in mind is having a consistent light source, because now it sometimes feels like it's all over the place.

The hair also needs some work. Someone already pointed out that it feels clumpy. Another thing I noticed on the Eirika an Lyn artworks is how messy the shading on the hair looks. It feels like you've used a lot of short and thin paint strokes in some area's. Start of with a thicker brush and lay down the basic lights and shadows of the hair. Then gradually make your brush thinner to create the texture and details of the hair.

I hope this helps, because I know learning to draw digitally can be quite hard. It takes a lot of practice to get the hand-eye-coordination down with a tablet.

A site you might find interesting is https://www.ctrlpaint.com/ They have a nice introduction to digital painting. You're also free to hit me up on one of my social media for advice. I'm more active there, so more likely to respond.

https://www.instagram.com/sd.sietje/
http://sie-tje.tumblr.com/
http://sie-tje.deviantart.com/

 

Thank you for all the info and feedback. 

As far as the clothing, on the Lyn one I was going for a satin material, which does have sharp highlights when reflecting light, but maybe that didn't really come across. This is the first time I've really had a go at painting clothing, digitally or traditionally.

I'll definitely work on the hair aspect. I had no idea how to paint hair, so this is really helpful. 

I've always been vague with my light sources when painting, right back from when I was at college. I ought to really work on that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was only going to post FE stuff on here but I'm reasonably pleased with this one so I thought I might as well. I've been practicing hair so I might go back and change some of my older ones. Feel free to give critique. 

4MNF2yN.jpg

 

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I follow you in Instagram and you've really been improving on the hair! This Zelda portrait is so far one of your best works.

You asked for a critique, so be prepared to get one.

First up the face has a mashup of two different perspectives; the shape of the head does not match the perspective of the face. I decided to do two paintovers to show the two perspectives. In the first one I changed the perspective of the facial features and left the shape of the head mostly the same. For the second paintover it's the opposite, I tried to match the shape of the head with perspective of the face.

Another thing I changed is the lighting. For paintover 1 I chose a soft light coming from the front, which is a pretty common lighting type. I also made her eyebrows less arched and thinner and added more dark tones to the eyes to give her a softer look.
Paintover 2 has a more extreme lighting setup with the light coming from the right. I tried this type of lighting to match the dark stroke next to the nose on the original piece. It gives the piece more drama to match the intense look she has. Just try to keep your lighting more consistent and it'll help to make the piece look more coherent.

 

PN7sHGu.png

And here's a rough guide for the rest of the anatomy.

QhboLi7.png

I hope this helps and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To agree with Sietje, I think the hair is much improved. I really envy how you've got a more painterly style of colouring, it feels natural and far more subtle than my own colouring. It suits the character so well.

If I could add my own advice on how the piece could be imrpoved, I'd recommend working on the arm anatomy. Currently, and this is going to come across as seriously rude, the arms have a kind of sasuage look to them. You could try adding something to hint at the shoulder muscles, similar to what you've done to the collar bone, particularly where it meets the upper arm. I get you don't want her to appear buff but I think some consideration to the shoulder could make the arm's shape more appealing.

Regardless, it's some fine work, and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Edited by Shuuda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sietje said:

I follow you in Instagram and you've really been improving on the hair! This Zelda portrait is so far one of your best works.

You asked for a critique, so be prepared to get one.

Thank you for this, it's amazing the detail you went into to show me this. Looking at your two versions, I was going more for Paintover 1. I can see that the dark line on the left side of the nose was kind of confusing as it wasn't meant to be a shadow, just the other side of the nose, but it made the perspective look altered. The light was supposed to be coming from the right/front, and I know to show this I really just need to practice.

Your Paintover examples are really helpful, thank you.

12 hours ago, Shuuda said:

To agree with Sietje, I think the hair is much improved. I really envy how you've got a more painterly style of colouring, it feels natural and far more subtle than my own colouring. It suits the character so well.

If I could add my own advice on how the piece could be imrpoved, I'd recommend working on the arm anatomy. Currently, and this is going to come across as seriously rude, the arms have a kind of sasuage look to them. You could try adding something to hint at the shoulder muscles, similar to what you've done to the collar bone, particularly where it meets the upper arm. I get you don't want her to appear buff but I think some consideration to the shoulder could make the arm's shape more appealing.

Regardless, it's some fine work, and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Thank you. I'm more used to painting traditionally so this style just kind of happens I guess, and at the moment the shading is kind of all over the place, but thank you.

Not rude at all. I'll definitely work on the arms. It's really helpful having people point out where I need to work on, as I always know there's things wrong with my work but it just takes another to show me exactly what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the Lyn one I did awhile ago with altered hair and lighting. I've also been working on my blending too. I worked really hard on this one meaning I didn't procrastinate but I know there's still a lot to improve on. I'm kind of sad about losing the pink colours on the original face but I couldn't get it to look right.

I also changed my Zelda one after taking in your helpful feedback.

I'm thinking of trying Delthea next as her design is pretty neat and I haven't tried painting any clothes yellow yet.

Also, if anyone has any tips on painting guys that would be REALLY helpful because I can't draw men at all and I'd like to be able to.

ZhNf6CF.jpg B4u74pz.jpg

 

 

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this next piece came together really quickly and I'm really pleased with it compared to my first Eirika piece (which was also my first digital painting ever). It's also my first full body in Photoshop and I'm hoping everything is more or less in proportion because I had to keep extending the legs.

I tried to draw a sword and I am sorry. 

zdPdeiK.jpg

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a great first attempt at a full body. I can't really comment on anatomy. If I could make one suggestion for any improvement, I'd try and find a way to make the armour trim stand out more from the rest of the armour. I think some distinctive golden trim could make the picture really pop out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, Shuuda said:

It's a great first attempt at a full body. I can't really comment on anatomy. If I could make one suggestion for any improvement, I'd try and find a way to make the armour trim stand out more from the rest of the armour. I think some distinctive golden trim could make the picture really pop out.

Thank you! I'll give the golden trim a try. It's a shame that her hand is in front of her armour because I did a little design on the front. Maybe I could adjust the arm or something...

Anyway, I tried a more complicated pose with horrifically awkward armour that I really wasn't ready for. But I was really pleased with her lips (even if her eyes are slightly off) so I've put a close up too. I also tried outlining the skin for a different effect but I'm not sure about it. Feel free to tear it apart because it needs a lot of work.

I also showed this to my mother and she asked me if I was feeling sad -_-

6GsRtTT.jpg   aoTwJI5.jpg

 

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finished (probably) a Micaiah painting tonight. I'm pretty pleased with how the face turned out as it took me ages to give her the 'right' features for how I wanted her to look. I was inspired to draw her Light Priestess outfit thanks to @Reimu Hakurei reminding me how nice it looks, but I was using very limited references so I hope it turned out okay. 

k6feAnf.jpg

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks adorable!

Also I can't judge proportion things due to my lack of art knowledge. Other people can give better constructive criticism than me.

As for me it looks authentic (her stance, her view) and that's the main thing a fanart should represent, great job!
 

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

This looks adorable!

Also I can't judge proportion things due to my lack of art knowledge. Other people can give better constructive criticism than me.

As for me I really like this art, great job!
 

Aww thank you! The design was really interesting to paint, so if you ever think of anything else to draw just let me know. 

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 8:46 AM, Natalie said:

Thank you! I'll give the golden trim a try. It's a shame that her hand is in front of her armour because I did a little design on the front. Maybe I could adjust the arm or something...

Anyway, I tried a more complicated pose with horrifically awkward armour that I really wasn't ready for. But I was really pleased with her lips (even if her eyes are slightly off) so I've put a close up too. I also tried outlining the skin for a different effect but I'm not sure about it. Feel free to tear it apart because it needs a lot of work.

I also showed this to my mother and she asked me if I was feeling sad -_-

6GsRtTT.jpg   aoTwJI5.jpg

 

Whoa! I tooootally like this one!

It's profile picture worthy lol I'm not sure if I can like, see anything wrong... Maybe the eyes are, like, a tad uneven, but that may just be your style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The background in your Micaiah piece certainly lends a distinctive atmosphere. It's pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Astolfo! said:

Whoa! I tooootally like this one!

It's profile picture worthy lol I'm not sure if I can like, see anything wrong... Maybe the eyes are, like, a tad uneven, but that may just be your style. 

3 hours ago, Shuuda said:

The background in your Micaiah piece certainly lends a distinctive atmosphere. It's pretty cool.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I couldn't get the eyes on Corrin to even out and I ended up just leaving it. It's definitely still a work in progress.

I wanted to give Micaiah a moody background to match her pose, so I hope it worked.

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/8/2017 at 5:43 PM, Natalie said:

So I finished (probably) a Micaiah painting tonight. I'm pretty pleased with how the face turned out as it took me ages to give her the 'right' features for how I wanted her to look. I was inspired to draw her Light Priestess outfit thanks to @Reimu Hakurei reminding me how nice it looks, but I was using very limited references so I hope it turned out okay. 

k6feAnf.jpg

Oh my, this a interesting picture, I don't know what to think about the face (I'm not used to this kind of faces), but I like pretty much everything else, the pose, the figure, the textures, the colors, her thighs

Good job :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Troykv said:

Oh my, this a interesting picture, I don't know what to think about the face (I'm not used to this kind of faces), but I like pretty much everything else, the pose, the figure, the textures, the colors, her thighs

Good job :D

Thank you so much! 

 

As requested by @Astolfo! Oboro is done! I even included a close up for you, so do with it as you will. 

This was my fastest ever painting as I only started it last night. She's obviously starstruck by Takumi. I actually wanted to put stars in her eyes, but I can't even draw a circle, let alone any other shapes.

If anyone has any more requests feel free to give me a shout because I am lacking inspiration atm. 

OFF9oH3.jpg    hEQW6aP.jpg

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Micaiah and Oboro look amazing! You're definitely improving.

43 minutes ago, Natalie said:

If anyone has any more requests feel free to give me a shout because I am lacking inspiration atm. 

Are you comfortable drawing men yet?

If so, I'd like to request a Pelleas.

If not, I'd like to request a Rebecca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Natalie said:

As requested by @Astolfo! Oboro is done! I even included a close up for you, so do with it as you will. 

This was my fastest ever painting as I only started it last night. She's obviously starstruck by Takumi. I actually wanted to put stars in her eyes, but I can't even draw a circle, let alone any other shapes.

If anyone has any more requests feel free to give me a shout because I am lacking inspiration atm. 

OFF9oH3.jpg    

Dear lord

It's like, tooootally perfect! Thanksomuch ? I soooo can't wait to use it! 

15 minutes ago, Hattusili I said:

If not, I'd like to request a Rebecca.

With the demon FE Heroes eyes or no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww everyone is so nice on here! Thank you so so so much. 

59 minutes ago, Hattusili I said:

The Micaiah and Oboro look amazing! You're definitely improving.

Are you comfortable drawing men yet?

If so, I'd like to request a Pelleas.

If not, I'd like to request a Rebecca.

If you'd like him to look like a girl then sure. 

Aww, I should totally do a Rebecca. 

43 minutes ago, Astolfo! said:

Dear lord

It's like, tooootally perfect! Thanksomuch ? I soooo can't wait to use it! 

With the demon FE Heroes eyes or no?

That's quite alright, I'm so glad you like her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely unrelated to FE, but it's my brother's birthday tomorrow and I suddenly realised that I had been planning to paint him something and had forgotten about doing it. This took me a little over three hours because I was totally stressed out about finishing it today, and it's of one of his main's in Overwatch. 

It's also the first time I've ever printed my work and I was so nervous about what it would actually look like. My Dad let me use his super photography printer, so the colours and detail turned out really nice, but you can't tell from my phone camera. 

 

oQNRX3V.jpg

Edited by Natalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm impressed you were able to produce something like that in such a short amount of time. Speed certainly isn't one of my strong suits. The outfit works really well, especially the way it stands out against the background. I hope your brother enjoys it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did you produce that in three hours? It's lovely! In three hours, I wouldn't be able to draw much more than a glorified stick figure. 

Happy birthday (in advance) to your brother, by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...