Medieval elements that FE hasn't done yet.

Harvey

13 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's pretty hard to come up with a castle that is both realistic in its difficulty of capture but still be a fun level at the same time, as Echoes has shown.

I have a good idea for one. It's a defence map. Yes, on a castle siege. You have to defend a set of three ballistas that are firing at a castle or gate in the distance. If the enemy knocks out one or two the more turns you need to endue increases. If they know out all three then you loose.

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, KoimanZX said:

To be fair, gambeson (padded, cloth armor) is actually quite effective. I also believe that chain mail is absent from the designs simply because it is a massive pain to draw it. Even then, the art team would probably draw butted mail rather than the plated mail that was used back then (although butted mail was used in conjunction with gambeson, so I guess that could work). The best thing they could do is find a bunch of reference images of historical armor on Google and go from there. I definitely agree that it is a good thing that this series does not rehash Tolkien like many other "fantasy" series (and you are right about leather armor being stupid).

Yeah; I'm not complaining about the lack of chain mail. I'm just pointing out that it is absent. Also, plated mail is a Near-Eastern armour design (a one-layer blend of mail and plate; hence the name). The actual type of mail that was used in the Middle Ages was riveted mail: chain mail where the rings are riveted closed; it keeps them from breaking open like what happens with butted mail, where the rings are just pounded shut. Just pointing out the actual terms. You are right that gambesons are effective.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, SavageVolug said:

5) I would like to see more weapon types, like greatswords, two handed swords, hand and a half swords, poleaxes, halberds double bit axes etc

Ragnell is a two-handed sword, it's just that Ike can lift it with one hand. Also, poleaxes are featured in both Tellius games.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Ragnell is a two-handed sword, it's just that Ike can lift it one-handed. Also, poleaxes are featured in both Tellius games.

Iron/Steel/Silver Blades in the Gameboy Advance games were also two handed swords judging by the weight (and the fact they came default with Mercenaries). There' also the impractically sized Durrendal.

11 hours ago, Harvey said:

I'm noticing the comments about Plague. Didn't Fates: Conquest somewhat did that?

I don't remember them ever involving anything even close to the scale of the Black Death, but I could be wrong... When was this?

3 hours ago, Godhand said:

I don't remember them ever involving anything even close to the scale of the Black Death, but I could be wrong... When was this?

Elise fainted at some point and corrin needed to get some medicine from the other side.... otherwise she will die. Heck you can't even use her in said chapter.

16 hours ago, qwernst said:

I'm most likely stretching, but hear me out....Why not have a Renaissance setting? Or even a Fire Emblem set as Explorers traveling to the New World.

Renaissance Emblem would be pretty interesting. They could introuduce guns to the series, but not the modern ones we have. The guns would be the more primitive ones of back then, and the way they worked back then was, you put in the gunpowder, then the bullet, then you push down the bullet to the bottom and only then could you fire. They could incorperate it into Fire Emblem by having guns be very powerful at the cost of reducing the user's speed by a fair amount, preventing them from doubling. 

As for your second idea, go a step further and make it pirate-themed. I'd legit play Pirate Emblem. I think having a Lord who is also a pirate would be very interesting, even though we have seen our good-guy pirates in fiction before, such as Jack Sparrow and Luffy. What i would do to change it up a bit is that, the pirate Lord is on the more bad pirate-side of things at the start but as the game goes on, he slowly starts to change his ways while also remaing a pirate.

Edit: i just remebered Fire Emblem does have it's form of good-guy pirates in the form of Fargus and his crew (which includes Dart).

Edited by Armagon

57 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Elise fainted at some point and corrin needed to get some medicine from the other side.... otherwise she will die. Heck you can't even use her in said chapter.

That's just one person with a sickness, not even close to a plague.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As for your second idea, go a step further and make it pirate-themed. I'd legit play Pirate Emblem. I think having a Lord who is also a pirate would be very interesting, even though we have seen our good-guy pirates in fiction before, such as Jack Sparrow and Luffy. What i would do to change it up a bit is that, the pirate Lord is on the more bad pirate-side of things at the start but as the game goes on, he slowly starts to change his ways while also remaing a pirate.

Edit: i just remebered Fire Emblem does have it's form of good-guy pirates in the form of Fargus and his crew (which includes Dart).

Fargus, though just a stereotypical pirate captain, was a nice character. What a shame Fargus wasn't playable at all; he should've joined in Victory or Death instead of having Nils pass us a useless Earth Seal.

A problem with Pirate Emblem would be battlefield sameness- too many ship fights. But I'm sure they could somehow find a way to avoid this if they really wanted to. On the plus side, a ship is highly mobile, so the hero could easily traverse the world, devoid of a permanent base.

More actual tactics would be nice, even just as bonus/optional objectives. Hitting supply lines, night attacks, using siege weapons, etc. (This isn't really specifically a medieval thing, just a complaint I have in general.)

Also, let's get some early firearms going, since actual gunpowder-based weapons existed since at least the 1000s outside of Europe and the 1300s within Europe, even though the former were the fire lances of China which were only useful at short range.

Otherwise I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas exclusive to the middle ages that would work well in the fantasy equivalent culture FE uses. Half because most of them are too limiting either to gameplay or to story, and half because the rest of them aren't exclusive to or didn't originate in the medieval period.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:26 AM, SavageVolug said:

5) I would like to see more weapon types, like greatswords, two handed swords, hand and a half swords, poleaxes, halberds double bit axes etc

Greatswords as we know them didn't exist until the Renaissance, hand-and-a-half swords are basically just longswords by a different name, halberds/poleaxes have been in the series before, and war axes were generally single bit even when two-handed.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

"Plague" refers to a disease caused by a specific type of bacterial infection, and Elise had none of the symptoms indicative of it. Said disease is also highly contagious and can be spread by physical contact between humans, so the fact that no one else in the army got sick disproves the plague theory even further.

21 hours ago, qwernst said:

Bring back Crossbows.

Crossbows have existed since the 6th century BC in China and the 4th century BC in Europe, with both the ancient Greeks and the Roman Empire using crossbows and similar technology.

Edited by AzureSen

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Renaissance Emblem would be pretty interesting. They could introuduce guns to the series, but not the modern ones we have. The guns would be the more primitive ones of back then, and the way they worked back then was, you put in the gunpowder, then the bullet, then you push down the bullet to the bottom and only then could you fire.

Only to miss because muskets have terrible accuracy. Oh, and they didn't have bullets back then, they used balls.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Renaissance Emblem would be pretty interesting. They could introuduce guns to the series, but not the modern ones we have. The guns would be the more primitive ones of back then, and the way they worked back then was, you put in the gunpowder, then the bullet, then you push down the bullet to the bottom and only then could you fire. They could incorperate it into Fire Emblem by having guns be very powerful at the cost of reducing the user's speed by a fair amount, preventing them from doubling. 

Or, because of the reloading time, maybe they can only counter every second attack on enemy phase (or maybe have no counter on enemy phase at all) without the required passive skill.

11 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; I'm not complaining about the lack of chain mail. I'm just pointing out that it is absent. Also, plated mail is a Near-Eastern armour design (a one-layer blend of mail and plate; hence the name). The actual type of mail that was used in the Middle Ages was riveted mail: chain mail where the rings are riveted closed; it keeps them from breaking open like what happens with butted mail, where the rings are just pounded shut. Just pointing out the actual terms. You are right that gambesons are effective.

I thought I had something wrong; thanks for the correction.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Now that others are commenting on guns, I'll say I'd be fine with this as well. And can we get gunpowders arrows while we're at it? Gunpowder bombs too. And how about the incendiary gun predecessor fire lances? We could give them a 2~3 space straight line in one direction AoE effect. The Chinese in the earliest days of gunpowder came up with hundreds of exotic and fantastical gunpowder weapons which video games would love (and while I wouldn't mind fire birds and fire oxen- you set the animals on fire and direct them towards the enemy, PETA would protest too much).

As for how to balance gunpowder with arrows and magic, just make arrows and magic as easy to use and as plentiful as always, while gunpowder stuff is a situational restricted weapon.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A problem with Pirate Emblem would be battlefield sameness- too many ship fights. But I'm sure they could somehow find a way to avoid this if they really wanted to. On the plus side, a ship is highly mobile, so the hero could easily traverse the world, devoid of a permanent base.

Yeah, that is the main problem with Pirate Emblem. I'm sure they could do some interesting ship battles but there's only so much you can do with a ship. One idea i had though is, a defense map. Unlike Ch.17 in Blazing Blade, where it's just defend the ship until Fargus and his crew fix the holes under deck, what i thought of is, both ships have cannons mounted. The cannons target the ship itself and if the ship takes too many hits, it sinks. You can fix the holes though, and because gunpowder is limited, you have to defend your ship until the enemy runs out of gunpowder or cannonballs, or both. In real life, ships were well equipped to have a ton of both, so for the sake of Fire Emblem, make the defense conditions be 10 turns or something. Alternatively, you can use your cannons to sink the enemy's ship, thus having an alternate method of victory. Of course, if your ship sinks, that's just a game over.

And yeah, a ship could serve as the base for the Lord, and it'd make the world map more open (i feel like Pirate Emblem has to have a world map like Echoes, Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Birthright/Revelation). I do think that Pirate Emblem, like Echoes, would best work as an RPG with strategy elements, as opposed to a strategy game with RPG elements like most Fire Emblem game.

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Only to miss because muskets have terrible accuracy.

They did? Although, since it's Fire Emblem, i can definitely see more accurate, perhaps faster but weaker muskets being an option. I can also see pistols being used. I believe pistols back then didn't take as long to prep, so they'd be faster than muskets.

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Or, because of the reloading time, maybe they can only counter every second attack on enemy phase (or maybe have no counter on enemy phase at all) without the required passive skill.

That's another interesting possibility. I want to say also make them unable to attack at close range but that would just make them worse Archers, since in my idea, they get a speed debuff.