Your Favourite Units in All of FE

Yeah, basically what the title says. Make a list of your top 10/top 15 units in all of FE with some reasons why you like them so much . Personally, I would go with (trying to take at least one unit from every FE, in no particular order of preference):

- Jesse, from Gaiden. Now, I have spoiled myself on everything about Echoes, but I don't have the game yet. A friend of mine lent me his Echoes copy for about a week and Jesse was basically one of the stars of the playthrough. He got amazing level-ups, is a fun character, and has a cool design. Although I'm referring to Echoes!Jesse, I just couldn't leave out a certain someone, (specifically one of the two characters that were introduced in Echoes (hint: it's not Faye)), so Jesse occupies the Gaiden spot, beating Delthea by very little.

- Finn, from Genealogy of the Holy War. Finn is overall solid from beginning to end, especially once he gets the Brave Lance. With it, Finn is almost guaranteed to ORKO anyone he comes across. He also comes with Miracle, which is a skill I find incredibly fun to use in Genealogy, especially when in combination with Wrath. With that said, he does have a pretty big weakness to magic, due to his low Resistance. The only reason why I didn't put him as Thracia 776's character is because another cavalry unit barely outshined him, and that one is...

- Fergus, from Thracia 776 (duh!). Fergus is the perfect example of a unit that adapts perfectly to the mechanics of the game he is in: Dismounting? Who cares, he uses swords anyway. Critting? This man has 5, so he can potentially reach 85% Crit upon joining on double Attacks. Terrain that is hard to cross? No problem, his girl Karin is there to ferry him over. Fergus is beastly.

- I'm going to receive a lot of hate for my two picks from Binding Blade... Sophia and Wendy (yes, I'm using some names from fantranslations, IS. Have at me.). I don't know what it is, but they are Always great for me, and I never had enormous problems training the two (probably the RNG favouring me in that regard). What also helps is the fact that for me, most other units in their class are somewhat lackluster. Bors usually gets RNG screwed for me, Barth is uninteresting as a character and if I were to choose between him and Bors, I'd pick Bors. Douglas is amazing as a character, but not so much as a unit. Raigh has bad bases and his growths don't make up for that very well, especially since he joins at Level 12. Niime is a staffbot, and I'd prefer someone who could actually wield Apocalypse, someone with actual combat stats.

- I am going to skip Blazing Sword because while replaying the game, I've found out that I like some units (like Dorcas) more than I though I originally did and some units I love (like Serra and Rebecca) are letting me down in recent playthroughs.

- For Sacred Stones, it's Lute. Funny character, amazing unit, reliable 99% of the time. When I started playing on Hard Mode in SS as well, I realized how good Mage Knight is for her. Sage is still my preferred option and if I ever play Creature Campaign again, she is going that way. Until then, she will just be the main staff-user (as long as L'Arachel is not there to purify the growths with her perfect stats).

- For Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, I choose Mist and Rolf. Although Rolf is much better in Radiant Dawn than Mist is, I still use her because I am a sucker for brother-sister relationships (not hentai) and she is just fantastic, both as a character and as a unit. Rolf is in the same boat (and I usually A-support the two in PoR): he is great as a unit and as a character, and I love the fact that he is a child. (No, Ross/Ewan are not children, because no child would be that enthusiastic about fighting A WAR. Amelia is a lot more mature than the two of them) Why do I specify that he's a child? Well, you can see (well, read) from his Supports that he doesn't want to kill people, but he is going to do it because those people hurt the people he cares about. Onto the Archanean games.

- Norne is here to represent Shadow Dragon just because I like her design and her performance in combat. I can't really use anything else as a reason since she is not developed in any way in the games she is in, aside from the fact that I love Snipers (as you may have seen with Rolf).

- Cecille is my favourite character in Archanea, because I just love girls with a strong personality . Also, the headband she gives you in FE12 is pretty cool and she is in my opinion the best Cavalier/Paladin in FE3 and FE12.

- Maribelle wins the FE13 spot because she actually DEVELOPS in her Supports (bet you didn't see that one coming, considering most other characters in Awakening). She is also a great staffbot ad is usually a better unit than Lissa for me. But yeah, development is a pretty big thing in Awakening, so she gets this place.

- Beruka has to be one of the units I've had the most fun using in any FE. I remember thinking one day: "Wait a minute, Beruka can reclass to Fighter, get good stats across the board, then go back to Wyvern Lord for Hinoka's chapter while maintaining her Weapon Ranks and can even go Hero for Sol." I also love how she is learning what emotions are, since she was taught to be cold and ruthless as an assassin. By far the best Fighter in Fates.

- The Echoes character is Conrad. I don't have much to say other than what I've said for many others: good unit, good character, I'm a big fan of brother-sister subplots, ... (Can we have a Conrad member badge, please?)

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light  

- I'd have to say Marth, This game doesn't flesh out characters well but Marth is a classic. He's also his strongest in this game. His access to Rapiers (which are very bountiful) and Falchion (which is also at its strongest) make him top tier.  He's a cool guy all around. 

Gaiden 

- This is a tough one, but I'll have to go with Cliff (the K spelling is dumb). I love how he starts out the weakest and later becomes top tier. I like making him a General though most go mage I think. And that smile, just look at him! He's so happy.  

Mystery of the Emblem   

- Definitely Sirius. His mask is awesome and he's one of the best characters in the game. Though his amnesia plot is kinda dumb. 

Genealogy of the Holy War 

- This is really tough, I don't think I can choose one for this. Sigurd is my favorite lord, and Seliph is right next to him. I love their designs, Seliph's hair is the best. And the transition from Sigurd's tale to his son's is executed very well. Arvis is my favorite villain, I love everything about him. Lewyn,Sety,Ares,and Leif are some of my favorite units. The former three have access to Holy Weapons, and their designs are cool too. And Leif gets the rare Master Knight promotion, ranking A in EVERY weapon except Light and Dark magic.  

Thracia 776 

- Mareeta is my pick. Love her design, and I love giving her the Crusader Scrolls and maxing out all her stats. Her Skill pool is amazing, I love giving her everything available and turning her into a beast.

Binding Blade 

- Clarine is the best healer of all time. B support with Rutger and A with Deke makes her untouchable. Enemies literally have zero chance of hitting her. And the best part about it is that enemy AI goes prioritizes her, so other units are left untouched as well. She's also a sassy mofo.

Blazing Sword 

- Serra :): She's inferior to Priscilla, but I use her every playthrough anyway. She's a sassy mofo too. 

Sacred Stones 

- Gerik, the Desert Tiger. I love maxing him in axes and giving him Garm.

Path of Radiance 

- Ike, enough said. 

Radiant Dawn 

- Haar. Best flying unit ever. RD removes his bow and Wind weakness, leaving him with only a Thunder weakness. The least accurate magic in the game. He's basically a flying Ike, give him a couple a hand axes and watch him wreck the entire map. 

Shadow Dragon 

- Abel. Abel has never disappointed  me on any playthrough. 

Heroes of Light and Shadow 

- I don't really like this game to be honest. I'll say Sirius again. 

Awakening 

- Walhart the Conqueror. His design his stupid but I love his Mastermind theme. 

Fates 

- Haven't played this game yet. 

Shadows of Valentia 

- Can't comment, but I'll be getting this game soon. 

FE1: Can you go wrong with the mistress of the Wing Spear, Sheeda? Being able to nail tons of enemies for effective damage along with a kind of insane speed stat kind of makes her ridiculous. In the days before the Wing Spear, she could steal old man Jeigan's silver lance and go to town with that instead.

FE2: Alm is a dependable unit. Regal Sword, a bunch of speed boosts from the lions, a promotion, and you suddenly have an insane monster. He can even use bows if you want. Honourable mention to Saber on Celica's route.

FE3: Paola? Paola. Definitely. Great bases. Solid growths. Destroys everything she touches. I ended up getting her all the way to 20/20. Without arena abuse. Because she's just that amazing. Not to mention she capped pretty much everything. Even dismounted she was still great.

FE4: I like a lot of people in this game, considering it's my favourite. Most of the holy weapon guys get honourable mentions by default. But my absolute favourite unit is Sigurd. Kills everything with that silver sword? Check. Durable and tough to kill? Check. Gets a useless waifu? Why the hell not, check. Deirdre's nice to look at if nothing else. Is Alvis a dastard? CHECK! Why can't you be in Heroes.,,

FE5: I haven't finished the game yet, but I've gotten far enough in to tell that Asvel is kind of great. Amazing PRF spell? Yep. Good crit rate? Got it. Evasion? Pretty good. Deleter of bosses? Gotcha. He also gets staves on promotion, and staves in FE5 are kind of important.

FE6: Most people sing the praises of Rutger or Miledy or Percival or guys like that, but I got the three of them killed rather rapidly in my failure of an FE6 run. Instead, Deke carried the game for me. He has solid bases and his growths decided to co-operate for me, and I ended up with a monster. He was able to get some well-placed Durandal whacks on anything that needed them, and everything else fell quickly.

FE7: Once, I was an idiot who irrationally hated prepromotes. Then Pent came along. He's a cool guy. Good bases carry him to the end. And I needed him to carry me to the end, since I thought playing Elibe near to ironman standard was a good idea.

FE8: No-one really stood out for me. First game it may be, but it doesn't have that much bias for me.

FE9: Oscar was my best unit. He got a nice defence blessing early on in that playthrough and personal experience is talking a bit here, but he ended up effortlessly shrugging off hordes of enemies with powerful forges, while occasionally restoring any damage he took with the power of Sol. He also promoted at like, Chapter 14 or so. The second boat chapter, I think.

FE10: Not enough progress made to really judge.

FE13, 14: Don't care.

Aran. He works very well as a unit, which is, unfortunately, his main attraction as a character due to most introduced characters in that game having fuck all for development. His design isn't terrible, either.

- Naesala. Ignore my user icon; Naesala is my favorite FE character. Before RD screwed his personality up with the Blood Pact, I really liked the kind of character he was. Ruthless and vain, he was willing to do all he needed to make sure his kingdom was ahead - even if it meant selling out a childhood friend.

Hinata. I was neutral about him at first, though I always was a fan of his design. After reading his supports with Hinoka and Felicia, he really grew on me. His innocent optimism, passion and willingness to listen or help out anyone works very well in balancing out his rather moody and bitter lord and partner in a way that the other lord-retainer groups don't, in my opinion. The fact that he is overshadowed by said lord and partner is a shame, because I think Hinata is one of the hidden gem characters of Fates.

- Arthur. A gimmicky character that somehow manages to play his gimmick right. This is because his bad luck doesn't blot out his other noble traits, which are his selflessness and his inextinguishable positivity. No matter the amount of lemons life throws at Arthur, he someone manages to smile through it without hesitation and promptly gives those lemons to someone who needs them. His design is rather charming to me, despite being somewhat odd for a FE game, but I like it all the same.

Flora. Sometimes, I really wish Flora was an only child because Felicia makes it difficult to put their childhood into perspective. Flora is a character squandered, similar to most Avatarsexuals. The fact that she manages to act realistically in response to being a hostage and practically have a full character arc despite her short screentime is amazing, and I really felt something when forced to fight her. Had more attention been paid to her, she could have been great. I also like her design quite a bit, and I totally ship her with Hinata but that neither here nor there.

Shura. As I stated previously, he is an Avatarsexual squandered. Shura could have been so much; his background is more than we get for some of the retainers. Regardless, I still like him.

Mozu. My precious cinnamon bun. She's adorable, first. All her supports are quite nice; she's practically compatible with everyone. Still, I can't help but think there could have been more to her. Regardless, I love her.

Also, Nyx, Jill and Shinon, but I don't feel like explaining why.

Edited by saisymbolic

FE7: Sain and Wil. Because Sain is super good AND super awesome as a character and Wil because he's just a fun dude, imo.

FE8: All the cavs! Well, I like Seth and Kyle the best, but I like using Franz and Forde too.

PoR and RD: Ike, of course. <3 As well as Jill in PoR, Kieran in both, Zihark in both, Ranulf in both, and Aran.

Awakening: Frederick, Lon'qu, Stahl, and Cordelia. Freddy is my favorite FE character behind Ike and he's a good unit. ^^ The other three are good units too and I like Stahl and Cordelia as characters.

Fates: Ryoma, Silas, Hinoka, Hana, and Subaki.

Heroes: Freddy and Reinhardt. They're such a strong pair together when they have good skillsets! Ike is fun too, of course. <3

Echoes: Mage Kliff. He destroys everything because pretty much everything has little to no res. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Just a side note, most of these are based on performance in game rather then personality and my personal opinion on the unit, though favouritism for some units certainly affected some.

FE1: Marth. Definitely the best unit in the game. With his amazing growths and base 7 Mov and the fact I gave him every stat booster until he maxed all his stats he crushed it.

FE2 Alm's Route: Mathilda. Holy shit. From her recruitment and equipped with the Ridersbane, she destroyed everything on Alm's route.

FE2 Celica's Route: Saber. Thanks to his incredible join time I managed to have him at Dread Fighter before the end of Act 3 and with the Shadow Sword (And thanks to how DFs are immune to its effect in FE2) he killed everything.

FE3 Book 1: Linde. She destroyed everything. Thanks to the Star Orb, Aura and the fact magic did damage based on Str with weapon Mt rather than just Mt like in FE1, she killed everything in her path.

FE3 Book 2: Catria/Palla. Both were just so good in this game, I can't pick which was better.

FE4 Gen 1: Lewyn. From the beginning he was a great unit but once he got Forseti, he killed all. He pretty much soloed Chapter 5.

FE4 Gen 2: Larcei. Thanks to her mother's Brave Sword and her father's extra growths, she pretty much dominated.

FE5: Olwen. Probably due in part to favourtism, but she pretty much was my MVP for most of the game once I got her.

FE6: Gonzalez. Crits.

FE7: Nino. Again favourtism, but I love Nino and by God did I grind her up and did she become a killing machine.

FE8: Really everyone was good, but Seth tho, man did he just kill everything.

FE9: Mist. She was a really good healer as she managed to get Mag a lot and once she promoted she was a decent combat unit thanks to all them energy rings

FE10: Aran. Holy shit did mine turn out good. Better then Neph actually.

FE11: Sheeda. Wing Spear too OP.

FE12: Barst. Favourtism can get you far.

FE13: Morgan. Who's Morgan wasn't OP?

FE14 Birthright: Subaki. I aimed to use the 'inferior' units compared to the royal sibs and by far Subkai turned out the best.

FE14 Conquest: Niles. My husband and favoritism again.

FE14 Revelation: Hayato. He actually was pretty decent, my best mage in that playthrough.

FE15 Alm's Route: Cleric!Faye and Silque. As a team, they both made Alm's route on hard easier then my run on normal where I made Faye a pegasus knight.

FE15 Celica's Route: Cavalier!Atlas. Surprisingly a really good unit. Turned out better then my Cav's on Alm's route thanks to him luckily procing Spd and Skill a lot.

FE 1/11: Marth and Cadea

FE 2/15: Mae and Boey, but I need to sit on this one more to the side who truly is number one.

FE 3/12: Palla and Xane

FE 4: Shannan and Oifey

FE 5: Finn (haven't beaten yet so I just put my character I like from FE 4 that is also in this game)

FE 6: Lilian and Igrene 

FE 7: Jaffar and Nino

FE 8: Joshua and Colm

FE 9: Soren and Jill

FE 10: The Black Knight and Naesala 

FE 13: Tiki and Anna 

FE 14: Oboro and Leo

I add some details later maybe...

Edited by Locke087

FE1- Sheeda- gets hilarious stat boost when you class change. Given how low difficulty the game is her high move distinguishes her from other units you can make into tanky beaters. Has some comedic story presence.

Gaiden Catria- Made the game slightly less awful to play through alongside Palla.

Mystery of Emblem Alan - I still contend that well-designed Jeigans SHOULD fall off (and far earlier than marcus/tatiania)

Genealogy Shannan- I despise Genealogy's gameplay. Mostly picked because of ability to kill final boss at base. I like to see the humor in the game design..

Thracia 776 Pahn- I think the the thieve mechanics are one of the most unique and fun parts of gaiden. Pahn can actually fight a little as well (while the unique weapon lasts) and you can probbably raise his build more than the other two. Also you really want to field someone  vision range to deal with fog in the latter half of the game..

Blazing Sword Marcus - A vital player in the uphill battle of attrition before the game  relents and gives you other good units after chapter 8.

Binding Blade Hector- Fun unit. shame so few people can rescue him. 

Sacred Stones Saleh- I love gangbusting with 3 paladins as much as everyone, but for some reason Saleh stands out to me. 

Path of Radiance Titania? Reyson? Oscar? Calil? I'm really not sure. leaning Calil.

Radiant Dawn Nolan= can take a hit on Hard, unlike most other charathers in his group. Can use crossbow after promotion to ensure he doesn't really fall off for Dawn Brigade purposes- not coming to endgame, but imo the gameplay of Part4 is not that interesting anyway....

Shadow Dragon Wendel-If you like the reclass mechaic as much as I do, that high base speed will be put to good use.

New Mysterey Boah- It was hard not to go with Jagen again. 

Awakening Kellam , just because he featured in my most memorable play through.

Fates Jakob= staff utility, easy to get heart sealed, really interesting part of LTCs.

Shadows of Valentia- Genny- for cheesing the awful post game maps so I at least didn't have to put up with grinding.

FE6: Clarine's an easy one for me. Mounted healer plus good speed equals profit.

FE7: Serra gets really dumb in a similar vein.

FE8: Artur's a blast.

FE9: Lethe was probably more fun to use then she should have been.

FE11: Jeorge saving us from flyers since ever.

FE13: Sully has served me well every play-through.

FE14 Overall: Azura's singing stomps fools.

Birthright: Ryoma.

Conquest: Effie because smashing faces is more fun then it should be.

FE15: Saber's sexy availability and being a Merc clinches it.

Sure, I'll have a go. Good thing that Heroes voting thing was basically a way to vote for my favorites so I have a handy dandy list.

Pent: Heavy bias here since FE7 was my first FE and it was cool watching him tear through a bunch of bandits before I learned gaiden requirements. Good staffer, which is something I always appreciate, a cool dude all around, and good looking to boot. How can you not like this guy?

Geitz: More FE7 bias here, but I'm a huge fan of prepromote warriors since they're useful at worst, and Geitz is no exception with his nice weapon ranks and stats. His nihilism is kinda interesting although some of his supports don't portray it well.

Eyrios: Recent favorite, this guy is a monster that just tears through everything with his good bases, growths, weapon ranks, skills, and a mount. Although he is a mage knight, which is one of my favorite FE classes, he doesn't give a damn about dismounting since he only loses a few stats and movement. His personality is sorta notable, especially the part where he straight up refuses to join if you recruited some chick he hates.

Leif: Most relatable lord in the series, and it's not just in the normal colored hair. He goofs and has to deal with the repercussions and isn't some dude chosen by a god, although he is the descendant of a hero but that part is really minor, no pun intended. He's also pretty useful in both the games he's in, and I'm a huge fan of master knights as well.

Quan: Has an amazing design and portrait and his relationship to Finn is a nice lord/retainer relationship that we rarely see in the series. Being a good unit on top of that is also a bonus.

Saber: Has a good role in Echoes as a sort of good friend and confidant to Celica, and his calm confidence throughout everything is endearing.

Niime: Amazing staffer and generally underrated unit by casual players. The hermit thing is kinda cool and I wish it was used more in FE games.

Ced: I'm a sucker for dudes portrayed as heroes in story, and an even bigger sucker for dudes who don't believe that they are. Being a very notable user of my favorite anima type is also cool I guess.

Leo: He's a dark knight, but I still consider him a mage knight like the others. Has a neat design and signature spell and is generally well written in his supports, which is a nice surprise in Fates.

Takumi: Notable for being the one dude who's suspicious about all of the mysterious things surrounding Corrin, and he has every right to be.

Bartre: BIG BEEFY 22 BASE STR. He's also just a likeable dude overall.

Charlotte: Her cynicism is endearing to me, and I find myself relating to a lot of her ways of thinking. She's also aggressive under her pretty shell, which nets her bonus points.

Titania: I'm a sucker for redheads, especially those who can kick ass with axes on top of that.

Nolan: Don't know why, but he always seems to perform very well in my runs and being one of the original Dawn Brigade chumps with actual stats is a neat feature. I also like his design for some reason.

Sirius: Has a pretty good portrait and design and being a very useful unit in the original is neat too.

Hawk: A very notable substitute unit for performing very well by substitute standards due to his huge bases. Having a better portrait in FE4 definitely helps matters.

Anna: Money puns are great and so is the aforementioned redhead thing

11 hours ago, Reality said:

Mystery of Emblem Alan - I still contend that well-designed Jeigans SHOULD fall off (and far earlier than marcus/tatiania)

Tatiania is my favorite Path of Echoes character.

I like if they remain viable, but not over-powered.  I think being over-leveled with low bases (at least for their level) helps with that.  Regardless, I mostly prefer if they actually are useful in the first place, which is mostly dependent on how difficult the early game is and obviously how strong the Jeigan is.  I almost seldom used Jeigan in Mystery, and Alan was a one-time mandatory use.  I would at least like it if they retained their use for maybe a few chapters.

Though I do hate it when they're stupidly powerful.  Like Seth or Ryoma.  Those units shouldn't even exist.  I'm fine with really good units who might have a slow burn, but I don't like units who are always good no matter what unless their respective game is very objective based and you can't just rely on solo strats.  They defeat the point of this genre.

Generally speaking, I love to use characters that start bad but become really good.  So among my favorites there are Donnel, Mozu, and most dancers.  It's sort of a metagame to try to level them up without anyone dying, and the result is gods among men (or at least once common folk risen to match blades with the greatest warriors in the land).

Otherwise, this is the list I have of favorite playables from each game I've played.  Because the topic says "units" instead of "characters", I'm gunnin' mostly for what they're like gameplay-wise, but I know that I'm biased to like some who maybe aren't the best or funnest units.

Shadow Dragon - Catria; I just love laying waste to everything with this absolute monster of a unit.  Especially good in Book 2 as she comes immediately in the beginning.  The other pega-ponies, Minerva, and Hardin.

Mystery of the Emblem exclusive - There are quite a few good Book 2 exclusives, but I'm gonna have to go with Zeke Sirius.  He's a much better prepromote than shitty ol' Arran, and comes early enough with decent (albeit low for his level) stats to serve as a Jeigan-esque unit.  Plus, given a certain end-game scenario, you're kind of obligated to use him anyway.  There are plenty of other good Book 2 exclusives; shout outs to Mallesia for being the best cleric in the game, Ryan for being a good archer, and Sheema for being a pretty damn good general.

Gaiden/Echoes - Say what you will about her character, Delthea could very well contain the power of an intercontinental ballistic missile.  She and Sonya prove to be among the best in their respective paths.  All they need is a bit of babying to get them up to speed with the rest.  Most mercs and villagers are fun to use, even the bad ones.  And obviously Mathilda's a demon on a horse.  The Echoes Exclusives are kind of their own deal; Faye's an amazing cleric who could probably defeat Duma herself, and Conrad's really the only good paladin Celica gets without the DF loop.

Awakening - Without a doubt Frederick.  I usually use Jeigans pretty sparsely, but in the opening chapters of Awakening, you kind of gotta use him on the higher difficulties.  The rest you can mix and match, but you're gonna have a hard time getting through the opening without Fred.  It's nice also that he can remain viable.  Anyone else can be good, so no one particularly stands out aside from the royals, Robin, and Morgan.

Fates: General - I like Kaze most of all the shared units.  He has his niche and fills it well enough, and he has the added bonus of starting in the most annoying class to fight against.  Of the starter servants, I like Jakob a bit more.

Fates: Birthright - Oboro bias incoming.  Seriously though, she's a pretty nice unit on her own when compared to other non-royals.  Exclusive to BR, her defense tends to be second only to Scarlet's, she's otherwise very balanced (as is her class's "niche"), and you get her fairly early on, which really helps to cement her as a permanent party member.  And even in Royal Revelation, she can still find a place in my army.  Honorable mentions include Saizo, Scarlet, and Sakura.

Fates: Conquest - There are many useful units that are also fun to use in this.  Generally speaking, the armors and Xander will undoubtedly be your best tanks.  Leo is the best magic user since his stats are much more balanced for offense and defense than the other dark mages.  Camilla is essentially your over-powered Jeigan, though because of bows she's by no means invincible.  Picking between the mercs can be fun, and both the fighters are interesting in their own rights.  And I know I'm biased when I say that I like using Flora.

FE 7: Hector, he's a lord so it's a little unfair; but he's so exceptional at what he does in a game where on the first play through Eliwood is fucking forced (not a fan). Hector was a breath of fresh air.

FE 8: Joshua, he has a coolness vibe about him; and it's effective (I ate it all up). It helps that he does his job really damn well.

FE 13: Henry, I found his shtick entertaining and charming. Nostanking is glorious so that's a plus.

FE 14 B: Ryoma, he's Ryoma; the Hoshido equivalent to Camilla in usefulness.

FE 14 C: Camilla!Velouria, an amazing first impression. She was a one woman army.

FE 14 R: Camilla, because her usefulness defies all forms of logic. It also helps that she makes every child she can have good (Revelations gives her the most options).

FE 15: Delthea, she's a tiny ball of just pure destruction and it's glorious. Her brother needed more grinding than she did; and having her just utterly destroy Berkut and what's his face had me laughing my ass off.

Heroes: Julia, she's my team captain for a reason.

I don't think I could pick a favorite character from each game - especially when certain games have like 1 or 2 characters I actually like and even then not nearly as much as like entire casts from other games. If I had to pick like my favorite unit in all of FE it would be Aideen (big shocker.)

PoR/RD: Leonardo, Ike, Marcia, Micaiah, Devdan, Danved, Makalov, Astrid, Gatrie, Oscar

SS: Kyle, Lute, Syrene, Gilliam

BLB: Serra, Oswin, Fiora

BIB: Wendy, Treck

SD: Palla, Draug, Norne, Darros

A: Miriel, Kellam, Cherce, Stahl

Fates: Velouria, Subaki, Beruka, Benny, Charlotte, Kagero

SoV: Faye, Silque, Kamui, Delthea, Lukas, Forsyth, Python, (Palla)

I've played Thracia and GoHW but didn't get too far. Shout outs to Tanya, Brighton, Machua, Olwen and Arden though.

Edited by Emeraldfox

Fe8: Eirika (waifu!), Tana

Eirika is waifu. I just like her design too much LOL. I liked Tana because she's purdy cute and a good backup flier.

Fe7: Farina, Florina, Farina

Triple flier grils <3.

Fe6: Lilina, Shanna, Miledy

Super clutch in my first ever fe6 playthrough

Fe9: Mia, Titania, Nephenee

Super helpful in my first ever playthrough of fe9

Fates: Oboro

Had some clutch moments so pretty memorable

Going by gameplay...

4: Finn, off the little I played, because his Brave Lance is nice to have.

6: Dieck is very useful right from the start and has pretty good growths (or at least I think so), he's always been a constant VIP in my playthroughs.

7: probably Sain as he's always my preferred cav and is constantly useful with long movement, good hit and attack, and rescue/move capability.

8: Ephraim, it was cool to have a playable lance fighter and he's got the good stats to go with it.

9: Ike, great unit and it's fun getting him to the point where he can defeat the Black Knight.

10: I actually like how Micaiah plays and since she was so different for a main lord, I'll go with her. Sacrifice was an interesting idea that's really only potentially useful early on before you have other healing means, but Thani, Purge, staves, etc. make her fun to play.

11: Caeda because Wing Spear.

13: kinda hard to choose when everyone easily becomes so broken. I honestly don't know.

14: Camilla for Nohr for having great availability, coming at a very memorable chapter that she absolutely shines in, and staying useful throughout the game. Oboro for Hoshido for being a speedy hard hitting tank.

15: not done yet but it's probably Saber.

This is long because I like a lot of units and in no particular order, but: 

Barst: Barst is a walking harbinger of death who leaves none alive in his wake in SD/New Mystery. WTA don't mean nothing when you double everyone when you aren't OHKO'ing them.

Palla + Catria: While Catria can never measure up to the majesty of her older sister, all hail Palla the best Whitewing I personally prefer Palla, both are fantastic units that have never done me wrong in Shadow Dragon or New Mystery.

Mathilda: All hail the Valkyrie of Valentia. I usually give her a Blessed Lance and let her destroy anything that dares challenge her.

Conrad: Another Blessed Lance user who wrecks faces and steals hearts. I turned him into a mage later and he continued to wreck everything with Excalibur.

Feena: Aside from being squishy, she always ends up being a speedy attacker with maxed Str, Spd and Luck. I give her a couple Killer Edges and watch her go.

Ayra: A living, breathing sword tornado. 10/10 would sacrifice Alec to recruit her again.

Larcei: The second coming of the sword tornado. Unfortunately unlike her mother she falls behind towards the end due to all the Barons roaming around, but she's still great.

Clarine: The Untouchable and She Who Dodges All Attacks. I also let her crush Narcian because it's funny.

Echidna: Because bias, and also because she's the only decent axe user without grinding.

Priscilla: Maybe it's just because I'm biased towards them, but every GBA Troubadour tends to turn out fantastic for me, and Priscilla is no exception.

Ewan: Favoritism, but he's always turned out great when I've used him.

L'arachel: She's a GBA Troubadour, of course she's on this list.

Chrom!Inigo: Bias plus just being a really great unit in general. Why you no give him Aether, IntSys?

Stahl: A unit I constantly use, even though I frequently change him into a Dread Fighter.

Oboro: A good all-rounder who always turns out good for me.

Takumi: The best archer, will crit everybody.

Camilla: An all-around great unit, who carried me through my one Conquest playthrough.

Charlotte!Siegbert: The MVP of my Conquest playthough, completely replacing Xander because Seig actually got speed.

Edited by AzureSen
good job misspelling Ayra, me

From the games I played, based on gameplay:

Awakening: Frederick - Can basically solo all enemy units for the majority of the Plegian War arc, and while other units outclassed him in later chapters, he still proved to hold very well on his own to the late game. Donnel would be my honorable mention. After grinding him and getting him out of the Villager class, he could wreck anything in his path.

Birthright: Takumi and Oboro - Not only are they great characters, they're also awesome units. Takumi never let me down with his high Skill and Fujin Yumi. Oboro was my best tank in the game. All she needed was a Guard Naginata, and she could take on almost any enemy. Honorable mentions would go to Kagero and Kaden. Definitely the best ninja from my experience thanks to her high Strength stat combined with high Speed and Resistance. Kaden had some lucky Defense level ups in my Birthright playthrough (combined with a Beastrune) to the point that physical attacks weren't too bothersome him compared to what he was in my Revelation run, and he slayed mages like a boss. He has some really enjoyable battle quotes too.

Conquest: Keaton and Velouria - Both were monstrous tanks that could deal with anything, and with a Beastrune, they were pretty much unstoppable. Both even got some lucky Resistance level ups to help as well. Honorable mentions would go to Benny and Xander. Benny's Strength wasn't as high as Effie's, but mine had higher Defense and Resistance in my playthrough, so he was another reliable tank. Xander was tanky enough to go against anything that wasn't a mage. His Siegfried was a pretty strong weapon too.

Revelation: Oboro - Yet again, a really good tank with the Guard Naginata combined with some great speed.

Sacred Stones: Joshua, Franz, and Ross - Joshua crits pretty often and has some decent Defense couple with good Strength and Speed stats. Franz is currently a mini-Seth from my experience with some great stats all around. Pirate Ross has been wrecking havoc on most foes thus far. Honorable mention would go to Lute. She's a pretty good mage. 

Shadows of Valentia (Alm's army): Mathilda and Delthea - Mathilda certainly lives up to her title as War Goddess with some really good stats all around. Delthea turned into a magic rocket launcher when equipped with a Mage Ring, and she was especially clutch in that Act 4 Bow Knight map, the final battle against Berkut, and the midway dragon boss in the postgame dungeon. Forsyth would be my honorable mention for being a very reliable tank. His Resistance was good enough for a Baron that he could even take on Witches.

Shadows of Valentia (Celica's army): Saber and Conrad - Saber could murder Arcanists and tank against physical units while delivering some really strong damage coupled with high speed. Though he joins late, Conrad proved to be an valuable asset to my team. He had some good Resistance to withstand and some good Defense to cope with most physical units. With a forged Silver Lance and some other good stats, he was a good attacker as well. Only Mathilda outclassed him in the Cavalier department. Honorable mention would be Est. My Est had the best Defense and Resistance out of the three Pegasus Sisters, and she could hit hard and double pretty often.

Edited by Erureido

This is gonna be hard:

FE3/11/12: Palla, of course. I actually like all three WhiteWing sisters along with Catria, but Palla is my most favourite for being, well, amazing. I also like Xane.

FE4: I like a lot of the characters, so this was difficult. I decided to pick Finn, for pretty much the same reasons the OP stated. A really good unit, who's also playable in both Gens.

FE6: Wendy. Favouritism with a bit of luck made her one of my greatest units. Milady comes second for me.

FE7: a tie between Nino, and Fiora. Both turned out to be really good units, and I like their character.

FE8: I like almost every character so this was rather difficult to pick from. I guess LuteArturEirika, FranzNeimi, Seth and L'Arachael are my favourites. 

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Am I seriously the only one that talked about Heroes? Come on... :( I'm sure people have favorite units to use that they've gotten in that game too!

hee hee that's why I'm here!

Heroes/Blazing Blade:

Oboro: Never played Fates, but this girl carried me through the Normal and Hard of FE Heroes. She's so awesome, just from reading her support conversations!

Serra: I like her attitude. She's sassy lol She's the reason why I wanted to play blazing blade (Cause I knew her from heroes first) and even in there her dialogue is very consistent!

Karel: There's something about those mysterious yellow eyes about his. He's also a reason why I wanted to play blazing blade. I like his voice actor in heroes a lot too!

Nino: This woman is a monster, especially in heroes. You just send her in and win the WHOLE game XD She's just so great! Best use of 20k feathers in my life!

Sacred Stones:

Cormag: In my Last play through, Cormag was a level 6 Wyvern lord with FIFTY HP and CAPPED STRENGTH. He got berserked one time and I made a save slot that same turn to see if I could find a way to make it so that no one died because he killed everyone in his way (Ephraim's path) lol

Joshua: Well he's a gentleman, so that's pretty cool. Not to mention the incredibly xexy animations of sword masters in SS. Especially those crits.... they make me want to fall out of my seat lol That's the main reason why I like him so much XD

Seth: Protective and straight up awesome. He's a pre promote but from what I remember he's always relevant to the story. Not to mention he's just awesome
Did I mention he's awesome? Awesome

Awesome

Shadow Dragon:

Minerva: This woman put in TOO MUCH work in my shadow dragon play through. her growths were great and I remember using Xane to turn into her, giving him a silver ax, and just have him, minerva, and Wyvern Jagen fly around the whole flipping map killing everyone heh

Other than that, I didn't really like anyone else that much :P

I forgot that I didn't really mention royals all that much in BR.  I mentioned Sakura, but not the other three.  Me forgetting Takumi is inexcusable.  I honestly forget Hinoka sometimes, but she turns out similar to Oboro in that she tends to get balanced stats, though with less defense in the end.  And Ryoma I have a vendetta against for being extremely OP.  I make it a point to not use him in BR unless I'm gonna be handing him some pathetic little sword or a Daikon Radish so that he doesn't have a cheap ass 1-2 range sword he can double and activate crits/astra with.

I also forget Elise 'cuz she's a healer, so she's more of a utility unit.   But she still gets props for serving a vital role alongside other good healers throughout the series.  Though my favorite healers are still the pompous types, like Maribelle or the legendary Serra.

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Oboro: Never played Fates, but this girl carried me through the Normal and Hard of FE Heroes. She's so awesome, just from reading her support conversations!

She and some of the other characters are a big reason why I lament the fact that Fates came right before Echoes.  If they got the same treatment as the Echoes cast did (at least, the better characters plus the royals), it would've softened the blows the sometimes outlandishly stupid story dealt.

She and Takumi are also a reason I lament that Birthright and Revelation are easier, even without grinding.  I want to have fun playing with them, but I have to self-impose challenges in order to make the paths as fun as CQ.  Or I try hack her and Takumi into CQ.

33 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Am I seriously the only one that talked about Heroes? Come on... :( I'm sure people have favorite units to use that they've gotten in that game too!

I haven't played Heroes in a while, so I don't quite remember the ones I used most aside from Oboro, Clarine, Cecilia, and Eirika.  I also never got certain ones I really wanted, like Ike, Hector, or Takumi.  Oh, and there was obviously Nino as well.  Most memorable for always doing her best.

OG SD - Cain: He overall was just a good unit for what I've played of original Shadow Dragon. 

Gaiden - Sonya: She was such a beast for what I've played and is still one of my favorites from Gaiden/SoV.

OG Mystery of the Emblem - Palla: Palla was god-like for the bit I've played of old school Mystery of the Emblem.  She still persists to be one of my favorites to this day.

Genealogy - Tailtiu: Even though I do really like Dierdre and Julia, Tailtiu was a very special character to me because she was so cheerful, but her backstory made me really intrigued.  She was also a pretty gnarly unit for what I've played.

Thracia - Leif: I'll admit that Thracia is the only FE game that I only barely touched on, so I don't have much to say.  But I do really like Leif from what I've played, though I'm sure it'll change if I give the game a second shot.

Binding Blade - Dieck: This guy was an absolute monster.  He was tanky, pretty fast, strong, and overall murdered anything that tried to or did touch him.  And that badass backstory and design really drew me in too.

Blazing Sword - Lyn: My OG Lord.  She's cheerful and nice, but not afraid to speak her mind and is overall just a great character.  I also enjoyed that she didn't care about her noble lineage and prefers the plains.  You don't often see characters that discover their nobility acting rather free and not wanting that nobility.

Sacred Stones - Cormag: Cormag is one of those few characters that actually get pretty good character development and story even though he's not a main character and I really like that about him.  His relationship with Tana is adorable, and I overall really like his character.  He's also a monster on the battlefield too.

Path of Radiance - Ike: Even though design-wise, I prefer his Radiant Dawn look, PoR did give us Ike and he's a character I have always liked since.  He's a character I did really look up to when I was younger and playing PoR and he's still kinda a character I try to aspire to be.  Other than that, he's super beefy on the battlefield and has always held his own for me.  Even against magical units, I'm not that scared for him since he somehow always manages to have rather decent Resistance for me.

Radiant Dawn - Aran: On one hand, I feel bad for the guy because he doesn't get much in terms of characterization or story.  But on the other, he's a juggernaut.  While rather slow, he's still amazing and the only other unit of the Dawn Brigade that isn't Micaiah that I will train up and use consistently.

Remake SD - Barst: Barst is so cool in opinion.  I don't exactly know why, but he's always been pretty gnarly and I just really like him.

Remake Mystery of the Emblem - Kris: The first playable avatar was really cool.  They weren't super important to the story, but in my opinion it worked.  Being the shadow of Marth that's erased from history also sounds so tragic that I can't help, but feel like that's just such a cool way to have a character be.

Awakening - Cordelia: She is amazing.  She has been amazing for me, and she always will be (because Awakening character can all generally be OP anyway).  I love her design, personality, and the way she has performed as a unit.  Her supports with several characters are adorable and I particularly like her supports with Stahl and Severa.

Fates: Conquest - Benny: I adore Benny so much.  I do generally enjoy the gentle giant trope (since I can say the same about me in a way), and he's just such a compassionate and relateable character to me.  He's tanky and hits hard and will just not give in when attacked.

Fates: Birthright - Kagero: This lady of a ninja has been super powerful and also a dodge tank when I needed her to be.  There have been some hiccups where she'd be in danger, but overall she has always been really good as a unit for me.  Especially when she triggered Lethality during the final chapter, my God did that help.

Fates: Revelation - Shiro: One of the few kids I'm willing to actually get, Shiro performed so well during my first Revelations playthrough.  While I didn't give him the best mother, *cough*Camilla*cough*, he still performed great.  He's also become one of my favorite characters from Fates as well.

SoV - Python: I do still love Sonya and I do also really like Kamui and Lukas, but Python just really takes the cake for me in SoV.  His personality, voice acting, and banter with Forsyth are awesome.  And I know tons of people haven't had great success with him as a unit, but he has performed exceptionally well for me.  Critting at times I thought he wouldn't, especially at 5%.  Or hitting his target when I thought he wouldn't, like when it's 55%.

Sacred Stones - Lute: She's a great character with hilarious supports, and is an amazing unit! Lute always kills it every single time I play Sacred Stones. Cormag: A very chill guy, I love his design, and he's fun to use because I don't often like Wyvern Riders.

Radiant Dawn - Ike, Micaiah: Yes, yes, these are very basic answers for this game. I haven't played Radiant Dawn in a really long time, so my selection is based purely off of design. Ike is super hot, so no question there. Micaiah I found to be very adorable, and I love her silver hair! I think her color scheme works really well too.

Awakening - Cordelia: I love that Cordelia is extremely modest about her many natural talents. And she's not doing that just to fish for complements. She works hard and tries her best at everything she does, and I really admire that. As for the guys, I couldn't decide on anyone because I don't like any of the guys in Awakening.

Fates - Silas: Super friendly and supportive. He's really sweet and cute, and he's always great in my files. Charlotte: I think Charlotte's method to get guys is pretty funny; it always makes me smile. I wouldn't ever try that of course, but as a character, it works for her because she's very cute and has an amazing design! I personally would give her more to wear, but I still like her design nonetheless. Selena: Couldn't help but pick a third! I loved Severa in Awakening, but the reason I listed Selena here instead is because of slight difference in personality. In Fates, Selena's character focuses more on her being competitive rather than her feeling inferior to anyone. In both games, I love the Selena is a hard worker. In some ways, I'll admit, I can sometimes be a bitch like Selena (well, maybe not like snapping at everyone, but more sassy). It's not something I'm super proud to say, but I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

SoV - Faye: Though a lot of people find Faye creepy and obsessive, I find her endearing and loyal. Her supports are very redeeming of her seemingly rude or stalker-ish qualities, in my opinion, and it makes me like her even more! Also she has an adorable design! Lukas: Well, Lukas is f--king hot. His voice is like liquid gold, and is so deep and melodious and beautiful. He's caring and kind, and is also very loyal and a hard worker. Not the best unit I have on my main file, but he does great as a wall!

I tried to limit myself to two characters per game; some were hard to choose because there were so many great characters, and some were hard because they had no great characters. In Fates, I also did like Nyx and Hana. And in Echoes, I liked Palla as well.