So Miiverse is shutting down come November 8th

Just call me AL

Just as it says in the topic title. I found out about this last night, and from the looks of things, word spread pretty fast.

And here's how I found out.

So... Thoughts? Personally, while I saw it coming, I feel like it's too soon. I know that the Switch might be a factor in why it's shutting down. But are there any other reasons? And is there any chance of the Switch getting a sort of successor to Miiverse? While it wasn't the best of communities, especially since it, like any other community, had its share of trolls and clueless players, I had fun being a part of it and got to meet new people because of it. (As some of this forum's members can attest to.) Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Edited by Just call me AL

38 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

No more screenshotting using Miiverse. I don't have other tools...

That was another thing I liked about Miiverse. Hopefully, Nintendo will implement something for the Wii-U and 3DS to compensate for that.

The only thing that'll be really missed is screenshotting, but it was an absolute pain to take screenshots anyway. Hopefully if they implement something new for it, it's actually good. I bet this'll effect the Miiverse stage in Smash 4 though which is lame.

I'm surprised it's shutting down on such short notice - I though the DS wi-fi shutdown was announced a good couple of months before it was done. I guess this means I need to get really cracking on the Sacred Stones playthrough.

But Miiverse... wow, do I have memories there. That was when I first got into the Fire Emblem fandom.

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

I'm surprised it's shutting down on such short notice - I though the DS wi-fi shutdown was announced a good couple of months before it was done. I guess this means I need to get really cracking on the Sacred Stones playthrough.

But Miiverse... wow, do I have memories there. That was when I first got into the Fire Emblem fandom.

Did I see you there before? I forget.

4 hours ago, Umbran Darros said:

The only thing that'll be really missed is screenshotting, but it was an absolute pain to take screenshots anyway. Hopefully if they implement something new for it, it's actually good. I bet this'll effect the Miiverse stage in Smash 4 though which is lame.

5 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

No more screenshotting using Miiverse. I don't have other tools...

You could always take screenshots without Miiverse.  When you pause the game for the pic you want, open your Web Browser and find your favourite image hosting site like stash and upload your images through there.

https://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/image-share/
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-on-Wii-U

You never needed Miiverse to take screenshots.

Edited by kingddd

7 minutes ago, Zera said:

I hope I can still keep my Miiverse screenshots.

You can. There should be a page on Miiverse that says "information on downloading your post history". Once Miiverse ends, you'll get an URL in your email that'll allow you to download your posts and screenshots.

Anyways, RIP Miiverse. Place was garbage but it had some genuine good artists on there. Gonna miss those. Also gonna miss the hilariously bad Miiverse posts.

Edited by Armagon

While I can understand why Miiverse is going away, I will miss it. I see Miiverse as a "bright and happy Nintendo place," especially with all of the amazing art that is drawn and shared on there. The art is what I will miss the most, as well as the funny little messages. (At the very least, this is my perspective from seeing the Miiverse posts show up on the Wii U "Menu Screen." I never really delved into Miiverse proper.)

I haven't touched my Wii U much since I got a Switch, so this doesn't really impact me much. I didn't even use Miiverse really when I was actively playing the Wii U. I get people liked it, but it it wouldn't fit well with the Switch's marketing, gearing more towards adults than children. I hope we get some kind of new platform, but more in line with modern social media. That, or full support for Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Edited by DragonLord

Aww, now I can't get screenshots anymore! Oh well, as long as I have pictures of my Xenoblade X avatar for profile pics I should be fine. Other than that I didn't use it for much else so I guess it's not a terribly bad thing, I'm more of a follower than I am a poster when it comes to social media.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

On 8/29/2017 at 9:43 AM, Umbran Darros said:

Thats the biggest bummer those were the best damn i really wish they had a successor on the Switch or continued to suppport it.  Oh and we'll miss the good looking water guy too...RIP

4 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Aww, now I can't get screenshots anymore! Oh well, as long as I have pictures of my Xenoblade X avatar for profile pics I should be fine. Other than that I didn't use it for much else so I guess it's not a terribly bad thing, I'm more of a follower than I am a poster when it comes to social media.

I posted above that you can still take screenshots without miiverse.  You never needed miiverse to take screenshots.  Not to mention miiverse screenshots are of low quality as it converts it to 480p whereas uploading it to like Stash or other popular image hosting will upload it at 720p.

I don't know how many times I've had to tell people this.  I've lost count.

Edited by kingddd

8 minutes ago, kingddd said:

I posted above that you can still take screenshots without miiverse.  You never needed miiverse to take screenshots.  Not to mention miiverse screenshots are of low quality as it converts it to 480p whereas uploading it to like Stash or other popular image hosting will upload it at 720p.

I don't know how many times I've had to tell people this.  I've lost count.

What about 3DS screenshots? I'm a little more concerned about those.

1 minute ago, Just call me AL said:

What about 3DS screenshots? I'm a little more concerned about those.

Unfortunately the original 3DS wasn't designed to have a screenshot function or Miiverse in mind so unless your game is designed to have screenshot capability, you're left with either a capture card or hope the game has a screenshot function to save into your SD card.

Sadly the 3DS will be left in the dark with this case.

2 minutes ago, kingddd said:

Unfortunately the original 3DS wasn't designed to have a screenshot function or Miiverse in mind so unless your game is designed to have screenshot capability, you're left with either a capture card or hope the game has a screenshot function to save into your SD card.

It is possible to get a clear image of your gameplay when you're in the note-taking screen, though. Can't anything outside of Miiverse take advantage of that?

I would mourn if it weren't for the fact that you got silenced for so much as mentioning anything resembling the words "Project M" - this happened to me at least twice when I didn't even say that and it ticked me off.

On the other hand…

15 - 1.png

15 - 2.png

15 - 3.png

15 - 4.png

15 - 5.png

15 - 6.png

15 - 7.png

15 - 8.png

15 - 9.png

47 minutes ago, kingddd said:

Time to bust out phones to take those snazzy off the screen pics