Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I mean, that's the "caked with bad ideas" I was talking about. The weapon triangles and weapon types(Though I personally really dislike the new "secondary" triangle) fall under "core gameplay". The one thing I'd say probably doesn't work is how the new weapon system was handled, which again, I'd put down to ambitions. For the first time since FE2, they decided to change how weapons are handled, and it ended up boiling down to uber Iron weapons.

The story, THREE GAMES OF CONTENT, amped up bad maps and kids were all victims of ambition. If they could have scaled everything back to fit into one game, I can almost guarantee the game wouldn't be nearly as divisive as it is. The only things that probably wouldn't change are the weird/bad characterizations, since... well, that was more just following Awakening's example of just having zany characters.

The skills tied to each weapon need to be tweaked, but it was a good start.  The other great thing?  The Hoshido/Nohr weapon divide, which mostly made sense (except -reavers).  The Res boost on yumis were useful, sometimes.  On maps with a bunch of physical enemies, bows were better.  And so on.

IMO, it felt like kids were there "because Awakening".  I'm gonna blame the marketing team for that one.  But yeah, one game with a route split (a la FE8) probably wouldn't have generated this much controversy.  I like the idea of choice, but not if I have to buy the same game more than once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Hawkwing said:

and I do wonder if the game is impressive enough to hold its own at E3 (unless it's revealed earlier, which is very possible).

I doubt it is going to be the focus of E3. I have a feeling they are going to set up their E3 booth in a Smash Bros theme, and Fire Emblem will just have a trailer in the Direct and gameplay footage from Treehouse. In that sense it doesn't have to be very impressive because the majority aren't going to analyze it as much as we will here. Everyone's main focus is going to be on Smash Bros just like with this recent Direct. Jeez I saw maybe a couple of mentions of Mario Tennis and some Splatoon stuff, but the majority of the internet that saw the Direct was talking about nothing but Smash Bros.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:35 AM, Blade Lord Lyn said:

If I see anything "open world" for FE16 it'll likely be a My Castle Sandbox area where we move our character around to other characters and upgradable buildings or it'll still stay mostly Sprite icons top down based.

I'd imagine we are going to have some dungeons since IS wanted to put them into Fates, and will probably still want to include them in this game (This part is something I misremembered ignore it!).

They will also be open-world esque, but these are just small parts of the game (hopefully since I didn't really like the dungeons or My Castle much) and I don't think it is enough to compare it to an actual open world game. The way @Hawkwing described it would be the only way that makes feasible sense, but it also doesn't sound like a traditional FE game and might lead to another Fates situation.

Edited by YingofDarkness
got something wrong and wanted to point it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

The player character would be a mercenary, and would hire both named and generic units into their army. You would take jobs from villages and towns, or from the lords of several different kingdoms on the continent. Missions would range from things like fending off bandit attacks, or joining in a war against an enemy nation, to leveling up trainee/villager units to promote into more useful classes, or escorting duty. The player could engage in less noble behavior as well, such as raiding towns, kidnapping/assassinating lords, or working for less savory individuals. If the player works for a nation long enough, they could become a lord with their own land and army, but would have greater responsibilities to handle.

 

I like this a LOT. A FE game where we can truly be bad would be AWESOME. (If done right) This also kinda makes sense for a pirate theme but that ship has sailed a long time ago. pun intended.

Edited by polaroid123~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

I doubt it is going to be the focus of E3. I have a feeling they are going to set up their E3 booth in a Smash Bros theme, and Fire Emblem will just have a trailer in the Direct and gameplay footage from Treehouse. In that sense it doesn't have to be very impressive because the majority aren't going to analyze it as much as we will here. Everyone's main focus is going to be on Smash Bros just like with this recent Direct. Jeez I saw maybe a couple of mentions of Mario Tennis and some Splatoon stuff, but the majority of the internet that saw the Direct was talking about nothing but Smash Bros.

I know that it's definitely not going to be the focus of E3, and I'm also expecting them to just have a trailer and some gameplay as well. I'm just concerned about how big of an impression it will make on the general public, as while I don't think it will steal the show, I do hope that the game is memorable enough to get people hyped for it afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering, do the Fire Emblem developers have experience in making console games? I know IntSys' recent console title is Paper Mario: Color Splash, but I am not sure if there is any overlap between the staff that worked on Color Splash and the staff that worked on the 3DS Fire Emblem games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

I am wondering, do the Fire Emblem developers have experience in making console games? I know IntSys' recent console title is Paper Mario: Color Splash, but I am not sure if there is any overlap between the staff that worked on Color Splash and the staff that worked on the 3DS Fire Emblem games.

If anyone from the PoR or RD days (probably) or from Kaga's days (extremely unlikely), yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think IS would ever let us (the avatar) choose to be bad or good, because they like to give the character a set look and character after their game is done (see Robin and Corrin). Having a main character and avatar be wildly different according to the player would hurt marketing and spin-off appearances if their personality was all over the place. Morally grey perhaps, but never outright evil.

Going from Echoes that had some sidequests, I wonder if they'd ever let you do sidequests for your in-game characters? Like, if we had a My Castle type thing, chatting with one of your units and they say "Oh avatar/lord, I need help with-". And you could get more affection, or recruit someone they know or get them a personal weapon. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

I'd imagine we are going to have some dungeons since IS wanted to put them into Fates, and will probably still want to include them in this game. They will also be open-world esque, but these are just small parts of the game (hopefully since I didn't really like the dungeons or My Castle much) and I don't think it is enough to compare it to an actual open world game. The way @Hawkwing described it would be the only way that makes feasible sense, but it also doesn't sound like a traditional FE game and might lead to another Fates situation.

Didn't know they wanted dungeons in Fates. Only thing I remember from one of their interviews is that Awakening was originally going to have My Castle first but couldn't due to some restraints Or little to no time back then. If dungeons do come back then they better be fleshed out big time and have more varied battle maps per encounter since that was terrible in SoV.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

That’s why I said it wasn’t really necessary. If done well I feel it could be good but IS needs to focus on improving plot, characters, and especially balancing, before even thinking about doing such things.

I was just giving my opinion~ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how people would react if FE16 had a small playable cast for a massive game (i.e. 24 characters like Echoes, or even less!) It would certainly bring the issue of quantity vs quality, that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

I wonder how people would react if FE16 had a small playable cast for a massive game (i.e. 24 characters like Echoes, or even less!) It would certainly bring the issue of quantity vs quality, that's for sure.

That sounds like it would be really cool, but I doubt it is going to happen. It seems that the trend in newer games is to have a large enough cast that everyone can have their own personal favorite they identify with on some level, even if that means sacrificing the depth of most of the cast. If they do this, I hope that they at least have Tellius style base conversations that flesh out most of the main cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

I wonder how people would react if FE16 had a small playable cast for a massive game (i.e. 24 characters like Echoes, or even less!) It would certainly bring the issue of quantity vs quality, that's for sure.

I would prefer it to upwards of 50.

Around 40 seems to be my sweet spot. Enough characters for variety, not enough that their characters boil down to "Hehehe I like writing gay slashfiction any time two guys talk."

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Dreamyboi
9 minutes ago, ToxicDuck said:

I'm referring to how awful Fates was and it's localization; done by soy boys, beta male cucks, SJWs and feminists at Treehouse. 

While I'll agree that some of the things Fates' localization were pretty tumblr-esque ("LOL RANDOM" humor in some of it's dialogue, Nyx's body type lecture bit, """Wolfskin""") I seriously doubt that it was the mostly the work of TEH DASTARDLY SJWs and more just a bunch of morons some of which didn't even know Japanese to my knowledge, which is a requirement when localizing Japanese games I'm sure right? trying way too hard to be hip and relatable to teens while editing the script. 

and I'm not even going to ask what a "Soy Boy" is, I'm just going to guess it's internet tough guys trying to come up with a brand new relevant insult buzzword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:

While I'll agree that some of the things Fates' localization were pretty tumblr-esque ("LOL RANDOM" humor in some of it's dialogue, Nyx's body type lecture bit, """Wolfskin""") I seriously doubt that it was the mostly the work of TEH DASTARDLY SJWs and more just a bunch of morons some of which didn't even know Japanese to my knowledge, which is a requirement when localizing Japanese games I'm sure right? trying way too hard to be hip and relatable to teens while editing the script. 

and I'm not even going to ask what a "Soy Boy" is, I'm just going to guess it's internet tough guys trying to come up with a brand new relevant insult buzzword

It's the new alt-right insult. 

After "cuck" and "snowflake" became jokes, they're hoping that third time is the charm and that "soy boy" will be the one that sticks. 

Maybe they should have workshopped it a bit more, because it sounds even dumber than "cuck", and "cuck" sounded like literal chicken noises. 

TL;DR, if you see somebody say "soy boy", it's a dead giveaway that they're probably not saying anything worth listening to. 

Either way, I the Fates localization was horrid, and I'd prefer the people who worked on it stay far away. Unfortunately, Treehouse is Nintendo's in-house localization team, so our best bet at a simultaneous release is through them. If it's the case, please keep whoever put the dumb references and whoever cut dialogue and changed characters far away. Give it to different individuals.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I banned the guy who said that, as well as hid the post, that's enough about the meaning of derogatory terms.  He's not going to respond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Didn't know they wanted dungeons in Fates. Only thing I remember from one of their interviews is that Awakening was originally going to have My Castle first but couldn't due to some restraints Or little to no time back then. If dungeons do come back then they better be fleshed out big time and have more varied battle maps per encounter since that was terrible in SoV.

 

Nope your right I misremembered. I was thinking about that interview and another one and threw dungeons in there because I don't know. I scratched it out of my original comment, and apologize for the confusion and false information.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:24 PM, Hawkwing said:

I know that it's definitely not going to be the focus of E3, and I'm also expecting them to just have a trailer and some gameplay as well. I'm just concerned about how big of an impression it will make on the general public, as while I don't think it will steal the show, I do hope that the game is memorable enough to get people hyped for it afterwards.

And I have to apologize to you as well for misinterpreting what you said. That was my bad!

I feel like it will partly because of Fire Emblem Heroes though. It has gotten a lot more people interested in Fire Emblem, and so more people are going to be hyped to look for news based on the new game. Even people who aren't going to buy the game are going to be interested in looking at the new heroes they will be able to summon and pick out their favorites. So the hype will be there unless they royally mess it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

And I have to apologize to you as well for misinterpreting what you said. That was my bad!

I feel like it will partly because of Fire Emblem Heroes though. It has gotten a lot more people interested in Fire Emblem, and so more people are going to be hyped to look for news based on the new game. Even people who aren't going to buy the game are going to be interested in looking at the new heroes they will be able to summon and pick out their favorites. So the hype will be there unless they royally mess it up.

No problem. I accept your apology.

I actually forgot about how Fire Emblem Heroes plays a factor into it (mostly because the game got to large for my phone and I had to delete it). I don't know how much it affected the attention Echoes got when the characters were released early, but I can see it being an effective tool for getting and keeping people interested in the switch game.

On a side note, with how popular Fire Emblem Heroes is, I'm still surprised how little Nintendo has capitalized on releasing the games on the virtual console. To me, it's a win-win situation no matter which way you cut it; people who've enjoyed the games previously can buy it on a more convenient system; people who are interested in the series can now play the games easily without having to resort to emulators; people who are interested in a solid strategy game can play another one; etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I think about it,if the game does come out in fall then it'll sell terribly since RDR 2 will dominate the sales for the remainder of the year definitelly.Hell even EA and Activision are scared of this game amd their games make huge sales each year.FE won't be able to compete with them.

Better for FE to come out at summer or the very least september.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Lazy Tactician said:

Now that I think about it,if the game does come out in fall then it'll sell terribly since RDR 2 will dominate the sales for the remainder of the year definitelly.Hell even EA and Activision are scared of this game amd their games make huge sales each year.FE won't be able to compete with them.

Better for FE to come out at summer or the very least september.

I originally thought it would probably come out at those times, but the lack of info either means it's further off then expected or they want to do a sudden close release type hype. I bet more on the first than the second though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

I originally thought it would probably come out at those times, but the lack of info either means it's further off then expected or they want to do a sudden close release type hype. I bet more on the first than the second though.

Further off means either december or 2019.If it releases on december it will still be at RDR 2 shadow no doubt about it and a possible 2019 I'm not so sure,after all in the financial report that came out earlier this year FE was still listed as a 2018 title and I think this is still the case.

Maybe they plan to announce it and release it soon after like they did with the Metroid 2 remake last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel Smash is going to release on september. Probably, the online service delay was because Smash wasn't ready at the time to justify the suscription.

So, FE is cornered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morian said:

I feel Smash is going to release on september. Probably, the online service delay was because Smash wasn't ready at the time to justify the suscription.

So, FE is cornered.

I agree with what you said about smash since no one will buy the online service without a good online game like smash. As much as I love pokemon, I hope for a 2019 release (which is more likely) also gamefreak will take quite some time to move from handhelds to a home console and more time to move to a new gen if that is not the case then FE will be overshadowed by two big titles. If we we have a November release for FE then it's ok since after some months the whole smash hype will have calmed down and Ninty can advertise FE freely (cosidering pokemon and metroid are for 2019).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 11:21 PM, kiaxxl said:

I don't think IS would ever let us (the avatar) choose to be bad or good, because they like to give the character a set look and character after their game is done (see Robin and Corrin). Having a main character and avatar be wildly different according to the player would hurt marketing and spin-off appearances if their personality was all over the place. Morally grey perhaps, but never outright evil.

Going from Echoes that had some sidequests, I wonder if they'd ever let you do sidequests for your in-game characters? Like, if we had a My Castle type thing, chatting with one of your units and they say "Oh avatar/lord, I need help with-". And you could get more affection, or recruit someone they know or get them a personal weapon.

I mean what would you call conquest route then? Ignorant? If there was a bad option that was clearly bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

I agree with what you said about smash since no one will buy the online service without a good online game like smash. As much as I love pokemon, I hope for a 2019 release (which is more likely) also gamefreak will take quite some time to move from handhelds to a home console and more time to move to a new gen if that is not the case then FE will be overshadowed by two big titles. If we we have a November release for FE then it's ok since after some months the whole smash hype will have calmed down and Ninty can advertise FE freely (cosidering pokemon and metroid are for 2019).

November is usually given to big titles. No way Fire Emblem gets that release date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...