Doki Doki Literature Club

Alexmender

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, KongDude said:

@DefaultBeep But Natsuki is lame anime tsundere and those don't deserve real love :V

But Natsuki is a developed character who has reasons for acting why she does, and hardly even acts like a tsundere after just a few days of getting to know her >:V

Also, short pink hair is cute. As are kitty cupcakes. I'll let you decide which of these reasons is the main reason I like her.

14 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

But Natsuki is a developed character who has reasons for acting why she does, and hardly even acts like a tsundere after just a few days of getting to know her >:V

Also, short pink hair is cute. As are kitty cupcakes. I'll let you decide which of these reasons is the main reason I like her.

If I'm being honest, I never really watched maybe the first hour and a half of the story. I watched bits and pieces but mainly began watching it seriously at 

Spoiler

the point where Sayori shows signs of depression at school, and Monika talks to her.

Edited by KongDude

1 minute ago, KongDude said:

If I'm being honest, I never really watched maybe the first hour and a half of the story. I watched bits and pieces but mainly began watching it seriously at 

Reveal hidden contents

the point where Sayori shows signs of depression at school, and Monika talks to her.

If you want to see how Natsuki acts in her own route, then I'd recommend checking out Sagemaster15's playthrough that he's doing right now. He just got to that moment in yesterday's episode, so all of Natsuki's stuff from the first part is there. Although if you're not a fan of somewhat silly voice acting, then you may not enjoy the voice they gave to Natsuki, so fair warning there.

Or you could always play her route for yourself, which is always a great option! If you're not weak like I am anyway.

1 hour ago, DefaultBeep said:

If you want to see how Natsuki acts in her own route, then I'd recommend checking out Sagemaster15's playthrough that he's doing right now. He just got to that moment in yesterday's episode, so all of Natsuki's stuff from the first part is there. Although if you're not a fan of somewhat silly voice acting, then you may not enjoy the voice they gave to Natsuki, so fair warning there.

Or you could always play her route for yourself, which is always a great option! If you're not weak like I am anyway.

I watched PewDiePie's playthrough so silly voices for this game isn't new.

I don't really want to play it either since I've already seen almost everything. I'd get the same experience as someone else playing it on youtube so nah.

33 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I don't really want to play it either since I've already seen almost everything. I'd get the same experience as someone else playing it on youtube so nah.

Actually there's something that almost every Youtuber I've watched have not done. There is a good ending which has a semi hard requirement (more annoying than hard), I suppose someone has already uploaded it but the best experience comes from not only looking at the game files.

Spoiler

If you mess with the game files you'll see a second story which is pretty interesting.

A lot of the gibberish in the secret poems in truth has some incredibly interesting (and disturbing) messages about an underlying story. During the 3rd arc if you stay with Monika in the room for a while she starts saying very interesting stuff, after all she has about 60 different topics to talk about and one connects pretty well with something that Yuri says during her route in acts 1 and 2.

I guess this will work as an example as it is the least spoilery thing you can find but it's still a big thing. If you change Natsuki's character file to another format you'll get this:

Spoiler

nPSeBZL.jpg

18 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I don't normally watch PewDiePie myself, but I've heard that his playthrough of this game is actually pretty good, so I've been considering watching his as well. The only YouTuber that I've watched play through the entire game so far is Jacksepticeye, though Game Grumps and Sages are about halfway.

I normally prefer to play games myself before watching playthroughs of it, but for games like this (both being a visual novel and its... later themes), I'd rather just watch someone else play instead.

I do kinda wish that Sages was less... blatant with his thumbnails. The Game Grumps have probably been the best about it, though that's really just because they have a standard thumbnail design already. But I do appreciate the video length that Sages has.

50 minutes ago, Poimagic said:
Spoiler

God, Sages released his new video and well, it looks like a mindfuck and an acid trip at the same time.

IDK if you should spoiler that for people new to DDLC.

Might as well take the time to say Monika is #1.

Edited by KongDude

Whew lad! I chose to replay this again and got to THE scene again...It still hits like a truck and makes me angry at Monika every single time. 

For now I'll keep my ranking of: Yuri>Sayori>>>Monika/Natsuki.

3 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Whew lad! I chose to replay this again and got to THE scene again...It still hits like a truck and makes me angry at Monika every single time. 

For now I'll keep my ranking of: Yuri>Sayori>>>Monika/Natsuki.

Honestly, I think that scene is still the most intense in the game. Probably because it's the first real shift, but something about it hits so much stronger than the later ones. Not that I've ever looked at the screen during Yuri's scene because I'm too scared, and that's the only other major one, but oh well.

Am I really the only Natsuki fan on this thread? :(

1 minute ago, DefaultBeep said:

Honestly, I think that scene is still the most intense in the game. Probably because it's the first real shift, but something about it hits so much stronger than the later ones. Not that I've ever looked at the screen during Yuri's scene because I'm too scared, and that's the only other major one, but oh well.

Am I really the only Natsuki fan on this thread? :(

Spoiler

I think that's due to how it is set. THAT scene includes foreshadowing and also has such a realistic explanation that you're almost able to imagine someone in RL doing that, hell I've seen comments in some pages where people talk about how they were thinking on doing that and it may be just me but that feeling of being so helpless just makes me feel awful even when it's just a game.......Ehehe, it really gets me worked up doesn't it? I suppose that shows how strong that scene really is.

The Yuri one isn't as bad, due to how things go it feels kind of....fake I'd say. It's still sad and stuff but the worst it can do is leave you speechless the first time due to shock value I've played this thing 4 times, after the first one you don't feel anything outside of pity.

Natsuki is nice, it's just...that little scene with her neck in the second arc creeps me out and it's nightmare stuff so I tend to not think about her if possible.

Might as well put it under Spoiler tags because it gives a bit too much indirect info I guess.

Spoiler

I used to be a Natsuki fan until seeing Sayori's scene. It just makes me feel so sad for her. Yuri's scene isn't as bad for me as I saw a scene similar to that in Danganronpa and I got over it. Natsuki, I have no idea if something like what happens to Yuri or Sayori happens to her.

Anyways, what happens if you choose Sayori as your girl in part one? What happens.

Also, my girl rating is Sayori>Natsuki=Yuri>>>>>>Monika.

Spoiler

Nothing changes if you choose Sayori. You get a few CGs but in the end Monika screws with her natural depression to the point she hangs herself no matter what you try...

Spoiler

About the Natsuki thing watch at your own risk:

Spoiler

After this the game reverts back to Yuri so there's not a lot you can do there.

@Poimagic

38 minutes ago, Alexmender said:
  Hide contents

I think that's due to how it is set. THAT scene includes foreshadowing and also has such a realistic explanation that you're almost able to imagine someone in RL doing that, hell I've seen comments in some pages where people talk about how they were thinking on doing that and it may be just me but that feeling of being so helpless just makes me feel awful even when it's just a game.......Ehehe, it really gets me worked up doesn't it? I suppose that shows how strong that scene really is.

The Yuri one isn't as bad, due to how things go it feels kind of....fake I'd say. It's still sad and stuff but the worst it can do is leave you speechless the first time due to shock value I've played this thing 4 times, after the first one you don't feel anything outside of pity.

Natsuki is nice, it's just...that little scene with her neck in the second arc creeps me out and it's nightmare stuff so I tend to not think about her if possible.

Might as well put it under Spoiler tags because it gives a bit too much indirect info I guess.

Spoiler

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason. Another thing that I've noticed is that the transition to that scene is quicker than almost every other transition in the game. Which means that, even if someone is expecting to see the scene (like I was, since I had the general event spoiled for me), it still shocks the player by happening before it's expected. And the framing and the music are both such a shift from the rest of the game as well. The one thing that ruins the scene for me is that stupid fourth wall joke that the MC makes. The game is normally so good about making use of the fourth wall, but that dumb "this isn't a game" line is never a good idea for scenes like that in a game.

Hm, I may have to actually watch that one myself next time, then. I know all the sound effects at least, but it'll be interesting to have the visuals to match with them.

Fair enough. I haven't really seen that seen in full either, I've only listened to it. I should really force myself to just watch all of the scenes for real... preferably sometime early in the morning, with many lights on and my dogs by my side.

4 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason. Another thing that I've noticed is that the transition to that scene is quicker than almost every other transition in the game. Which means that, even if someone is expecting to see the scene (like I was, since I had the general event spoiled for me), it still shocks the player by happening before it's expected. And the framing and the music are both such a shift from the rest of the game as well. The one thing that ruins the scene for me is that stupid fourth wall joke that the MC makes. The game is normally so good about making use of the fourth wall, but that dumb "this isn't a game" line is never a good idea for scenes like that in a game.

Hm, I may have to actually watch that one myself next time, then. I know all the sound effects at least, but it'll be interesting to have the visuals to match with them.

Fair enough. I haven't really seen that seen in full either, I've only listened to it. I should really force myself to just watch all of the scenes for real... preferably sometime early in the morning, with many lights on and my dogs by my side.

Spoiler

Agreed. They really went all out with that scene, after all every time someone says to take the warnings seriously it's for that whole Sayori segment, the rest is more in line with typical horror games but that first part is extremely heavy, even more if the person playing it suffers some level of depression. 

For the MC I wonder if that line is something Monika did. At the start it seems like the MC is dumb (and he kind of is) but he vanishes somewhere around the second act (or that's what Monika wants you to believe). I found something funny while playing with the files and turns out that if you change Monika's character file to a text file you get this:

Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/MZt9deig

The first thing you'll think is that Monika is the one who wrote it but if you read the last line it shows that it was the MC talking to the player, he was aware of the whole Yuri, Natsuki and Moniks thing but was unable to do anything due to how corrupted the game got. After that I've been researching for what more I can find and turns out this game has a lot more meat than what meets the eye.

Playing with the files of the others give a second (and darker) story, although it seems a big part of it is incomplete and it's more of a thing to create theories on. It's still pretty neat. I can describe part of it if you wish, although most of the findings come from people from reddit who are more tech savvy than I am.

1 minute ago, Alexmender said:
  Hide contents

Agreed. They really went all out with that scene, after all every time someone says to take the warnings seriously it's for that whole Sayori segment, the rest is more in line with typical horror games but that first part is extremely heavy, even more if the person playing it suffers some level of depression. 

For the MC I wonder if that line is something Monika did. At the start it seems like the MC is dumb (and he kind of is) but he vanishes somewhere around the second act (or that's what Monika wants you to believe). I found something funny while playing with the files and turns out that if you change Monika's character file to a text file you get this:

Hide contents

https://pastebin.com/MZt9deig

The first thing you'll think is that Monika is the one who wrote it but if you read the last line it shows that it was the MC talking to the player, he was aware of the whole Yuri, Natsuki and Moniks thing but was unable to do anything due to how corrupted the game got. After that I've been researching for what more I can find and turns out this game has a lot more meat than what meets the eye.

Playing with the files of the others give a second (and darker) story, although it seems a big part of it is incomplete and it's more of a thing to create theories on. It's still pretty neat. I can describe part of it if you wish, although most of the findings come from people from reddit who are more tech savvy than I am.

Spoiler

Yeah, I don't know if that part would have as much impact if it wasn't for the prior talks with Sayori. If it was just that scene with no buildup, then it would be shocking, but it wouldn't be much more than a simple shocking image. But knowing about all that Sayori was dealing with beforehand gives it context, and believable context at that, which makes it feel so much more real and legitimately frightening. 

It's possible; not all of Monika's changes are as obvious as the black text and glitchy visuals, after all. It's really the way that he talks with Sayori that frustrates me. And maybe it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, since it's certainly not easy for someone without depression to give any sort of advice in that situation... But saying that he feels "betrayed" as her friend is just such a jerkish and insensitive move.

Interesting. I think Jacksepticeye actually did find this particular secret, but I didn't remember all of the specifics of what was written. I wonder if that means the MC realized his own situation sometime during Monika's tampering, just like she did on her own. I know that the creators have said that he was written to be a standard VN protagonist, which kinda makes him unlikable by default given the other characters, but that text sounds much more self-aware of what his situation is.

Sure, I'd be cool with a summary of it if you'd okay with that. I know a few small things thanks to TVTropes, but that's about it.

12 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, I don't know if that part would have as much impact if it wasn't for the prior talks with Sayori. If it was just that scene with no buildup, then it would be shocking, but it wouldn't be much more than a simple shocking image. But knowing about all that Sayori was dealing with beforehand gives it context, and believable context at that, which makes it feel so much more real and legitimately frightening. 

It's possible; not all of Monika's changes are as obvious as the black text and glitchy visuals, after all. It's really the way that he talks with Sayori that frustrates me. And maybe it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, since it's certainly not easy for someone without depression to give any sort of advice in that situation... But saying that he feels "betrayed" as her friend is just such a jerkish and insensitive move.

Interesting. I think Jacksepticeye actually did find this particular secret, but I didn't remember all of the specifics of what was written. I wonder if that means the MC realized his own situation sometime during Monika's tampering, just like she did on her own. I know that the creators have said that he was written to be a standard VN protagonist, which kinda makes him unlikable by default given the other characters, but that text sounds much more self-aware of what his situation is.

Sure, I'd be cool with a summary of it if you'd okay with that. I know a few small things thanks to TVTropes, but that's about it.

Spoiler

I commend Dan and the team for that, as strong as it comes it really shows how that kind of stuff can actually happen, although that by itself is the most scary thing in this game.

I feel the MC has been a jerk since before the game started with him being so reluctant to help Sayori by joining the club and many other examples of him dismissing her just because she "knows" her since they were kids. I hope somewhere around that chaos Monika caused he learned to truly appreciate her instead of whatever he did during act 1. Then again based on the good ending there's a good chance that Sayori and MC are going to be fine even if the players will be unable to see that.

Alright! In any case I'll leave the reddit links in case I don't make myself clear:

Spoiler

The second story isn't related to DDLC at all although some speculate that it does, but there's not enough evidence to prove it.

Spoiler

It is a tale about a girl called Elyssa Libitina. It seems she was kept on some religious camp which turned into a facility which conducted human experiments with the goal of awakening "The Third Eye", an ability which grants an evolved form of foresight or in simple terms the ability to see the future and beyond. These kinds of experiments had a focus on physical and mental torture in order to unlock this skill, oddly enough it seemed like these atrocities went to the point of making people have a lust for blood, making it extremely dangerous to leave them alone.

Sometime after one of the scientists called Reiner chose to help Libitina because he got attached to her, but the camp rules were strict and they ended up killing him. Some time after Libitina and some others escaped from the camp but were unable to go back to society thanks to the lust for blood the experiments gave them. Libitina went to find her sister (who may have been in high school at the time) but they were pursued by the people from the camp. An image in Natsuki's character file shows a woman with sickly pale skin which according to the different clues find in the game could be what Libitina looks like in 2018. She secluded herself from others due to the possibility that she truly awakened her Thrid Eye but came with the side effect of awakening the lust for blood in others which would end in danger for both her and those she come in contact with, considering the dates it shows that Libitina is still alive somewhere and that finding her would be extremely dangerous for your mental sanity so it's best if you stay away from that.

Now the general theory is that Dan said that he's going to release a game in 2018 which is more like a traditional VN and completely unrelated to the characters in DDLC, but there's a chance that the game will delve into the Libitina story considering that it isn't part of DDLC and one needs to dive deep into the files to get this info.

Haha, I really wanted to talk about this at some point, it is extremely disturbing but interesting at the same time. It sounds a lot like a horror Sci-Fi story. DDLC by itself already deals with heavy stuff but reading this is pretty nightmarish if I say so myself. Of course some of the things that I said are my personal interpretation so I may be wrong on how the story is. 

Played this a couple of days ago blind. Got to that part, and it caused me to uninstall the game.

Spoiler

I was expecting Sayori's death via suicide, but the complete change in aesthetic completely caught me off-guard. I tried to carry on, but when Sayori's glitched character first showed up, it spooked me too much. Had to uninstall it there and then. I was still interested in the game, though, so I looked up everything afterwards. Wish I didn't in hindsight, as I woke up the following day feeling comfortable enough to play the game again. That being said, all of yesterday morning I was thinking about suicide, so maybe I should stay away from it.

I'm surprised how much that one scene terrified me, considering I went through The House of Fata Morgana without flinching once.

Despite that, after knowing everything,  I'd like to put this down on my honourary GOTY list. It's... one hell of an experience, that's for sure

Ah, a Doki Doki literature club thead? I played through this a few days after release and managed to go through it blind. I loved it so much that I spent the few days after that watching streamers play it, that's something I've only ever done for one very specific rpg game maker horror game (I normally don't like watching streamers all that much) before I played this game.

I also used best girl as an avatar for a few weeks here. As for who that girl is...

Spoiler

Just Monika

DL0U1W1WkAIuywt.jpg

Just Monika

Sages is at the point where Monika writes her very abstract poem. Not only that, but:

Spoiler

Monika breaker the fourth wall, Yuri has scratches on her arm, then a wierd rewind thing happens, and Yuri has weird eyes, and Monika is seeming weirder by the day.

It seems like stuff is about to get interesting once again.