What makes a good avatar?

Ottservia

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

That's arguable, but even then, given that Awakening is meant to be a major reference game that was intended to be a send off for Fire Emblem, I really don't see much reason to be so overly critical regarding it. 

Also, though the Emblem is not intended to be meant for a weapon, the power itself that it has is what can make it into a weapon. Already each Gemstone contains incredible power as we have seen. Combine all that into the Fire Emblem, which can draw out the Gemstones full power, can grant the user will essentially become a demi-god. And if you also include how the item can be used to seal power entities away, that's even more powerful. And it is a known fact that the Gemstones can be used to create magic tomes, as Imhullu was made from the Darksphere, and Starlight was made from the Light and Starsphere. 

Who knows what magic can be created through harnessing the power of the completed Fire Emblem. 

So yes, the Fire Emblem can be a weapon of mass destruction.

Despite how much I've talked about it, I don't think the meaningless choices are a major flaw in the long run.  It's just kind of annoying because it would be an easy way to make Robin more interesting and they didn't take it.  I don't think the design philosophy behind Awakening should be used as a shield to deflect criticism, though.

Fair enough regarding the Fire Emblem (same to you @Marty, I'm just to lazy to quote multiple things).

20 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It does in fact. Yeah, nothing changes, but it makes ALL the difference.

Let Emmeryn Die: 

- You are choosing to sacrifice Emmeryn for the greater good. It's the most rational choice. However, in exchange, you are willing to let the sister of your best friend die, and you can tell that Chrom adores Emmeryn. Furthermore, you also left Ylisse without an Exalt and even though Chrom can take the throne, this will not entirely fix it, as many people needed Emmeryn as their leader.

Give up the Emblem: 

- You are choosing to save Emmeryn, which is likely a more morally kind choice out of consideration for Chrom and for the sake of the people of Ylisse. However, you may in fact have just chosen to give a weapon of untold power to a manman who can potentially use it to slaughter many innocent people.

Accept Lucina's Judgment: 

- You know that you pose a danger to Chrom. Lucina reveals that you will kill Chrom and the future will end up happening where Grima will destroy the world. If you die, fate can be changed and Chrom may in fact survive and continue to lead and Grima can be stopped. So sacrificing yourself is a noble choice. But you also have to die, and there's no telling that dying will fix everything. 

Deny Lucina's Judgment:

- You choose to reject this and thus you believe that you can do more good alive than dying. Perhaps you can change fate and save everyone. However, you may also have doomed everyone for that choice as well. 

The results may not have changed, but the choice that is made can define a lot about the character that makes such choices. 

These have no inpact on Robin whatsoever, if they did. He'd be a much much better character instead of only being cool in spinoffs.

1 minute ago, Refa said:

Despite how much I've talked about it, I don't think the meaningless choices are a major flaw in the long run.  It's just kind of annoying because it would be an easy way to make Robin more interesting and they didn't take it.  I don't think the design philosophy behind Awakening should be used as a shield to deflect criticism, though.

Actually, thinking back on it, wouldn't the case of these choices generally being subjective is what makes him an Avatar as well? Yes, nothing changes and dialogue generally remains the same. But it's overall what our choice we made was and the way it makes people see Robin as. In some way, it has success in being an Avatar nonetheless, but just didn't make it have the kind of impact some would have preferred.

If they structure the narrative to fork based on gameplay choices rather than dialogue boxes (if it forks at all), then it shouldn't be too hard to mold an avatar's personality and story actions to adjust accordingly, main character or not.

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, thinking back on it, wouldn't the case of these choices generally being subjective is what makes him an Avatar as well? Yes, nothing changes and dialogue generally remains the same. But it's overall what our choice we made was and the way it makes people see Robin as. In some way, it has success in being an Avatar nonetheless, but just didn't make it have the kind of impact some would have preferred.

You're not wrong, but it definitely had a lot of room for improvement.

Am surprised that there is so much hate for Kris. It's been a few years since I've played it, but I don't remember them stealing the spotlight. If anything I remember getting some personality out of Marth and other Archanea characters for the first time. Anyway having a completely blank backstory, the ability to select your class, having a large control over your growths, and being given dialogue options throughout the game that have minor effects I think makes Kris the best in terms of the concept thus far. It's significantly easier to put yourself in their place than in Robin or Corrin's. I do agree, however, that any future avatars should have less of a focus in the main campaign, or be regulated to a multiplayer mode.

Robin soured me on Avatars. In terms of customization, they were a huge step backwards and the amount of dialogue they have makes it hard to put yourself in their shoes. Robin's story completely overrides Chrom & Lucina in the last third of Awakening.

Corrin was basically a lord who's hair you could customize. I have a really hard time calling them an Avatar or My Unit.

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

That would only be the case if Robin was a blank slate in which we can build a personality through those choices, but they aren't 

They're placeholder characters with a defined personality (although quite bland) and the only thing we have actual control over is their appearance (support doesn't count because every character has supports, they just have more options).

I never once projected myself on my Robin because I always saw him as his own dude, I didn't even play with his appearance.

Their personality is expanded more on Heroes and Warriors as well. 

Instead of the current approach to avatars, why not allow the player an approach similar to FE7, except with Lyn/Eliwood/Hector being the avatars rather than Mark. Choose one of a few preset lords with preset classes, preset stories, and preset romance options. Then allow that player to customize their chosen main lord. The others would appear in their default forms later in the story.

Make them like Robin but without the plot usurping aspect. The Lord's bff with an unspecified past. That's it. They shouldn't be the focus, because it doesn't work in FE. Also, limit the sucking up other characters do towards the avatar. It's embarrassing and it takes away from the other characters.

Actually, I like avatar characters the way they are.  I have no complaints about how they were implemented in New Mystery/Fates/Awakening and would be happy to see them return in future games. :):  

It would be pretty cool if you could affect the story with your choices, though!