Character-specific promotions

Corrobin

5 minutes ago, OakTree said:

Considering the lack of genderlock was almost unanimously agreed to be a good thing in the eyes of the fanbase, i doubt they would bring it back. As much as people try paint IS as deaf to their fans, they are not, they're just really, really bad on adressing criticisms towards their games. (e.g. The story of Fates  being the way it is because IS heard the feedback of Awakening's story being too simplistic)

And yet they didn't do anything about it in SoV... though it being a remake might be an excuse. Anyway, I think the removal of gender lock in Fates might have been because they needed to have two factions' worth of classes.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 'em. I do think they add some flavor, and I'm actually 100% okay with characters not being completely balanced. I do think that classes should try to be balanced so one character isn't innately better solely by virtue of being a cavalier instead of a knight, but that's difficult to do completely, and IMO IS had done a fairly decent job in some games, though not all. That said, I am absolutely okay with one character being the scrubbiest of scrubs while another is a powerhouse. I don't know that I want there to be a ton of game-breaking and near unusable characters, but I do like having the variety that something like FE7 had, where everyone's usable, but some are better than others. If I were going to say there should be a goal for characters, rather than all of them being equally good, it'd be that all of them have a niche, and that's something that I feel like, if anything, character-specific promotions help since it's another way to differentiate two characters.

Edited by bottlegnomes

13 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Mage -> Valkyrie

Again with gender-locked classes? I am extremely hesitant to think that a class with a female namesake is suddenly going to be a unisex one... And before you play the "But Fates got rid of gender restrictions" card, one, it changed the name of said class, and two, see my earlier point on the two faction deal.