Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

Luke. He has a semi-balanced spread with a slight focus on Atk and Def. Despite being one of the rarest units in the game Luke fits perfectly in the definition of "mediocre". None of his stats are anything to write home about, and while his Atk is pretty nice it isn't enough to set him apart from other Red cavaliers. He will perform well with his default Brave Sword so he's far from unusable but he's nowhere near enough to be called great. 

Rating: 5/10

Katarina. Her stat spread focuses on Atk/Spd/Res. She has a pretty nice spread that lets her a good user of a Blade tome just like Tharja, in fact they're virtually the same although this is more of a point in favor for Tharja as she has more availability. While inferior to Celica thanks to the lack of a Prf tome, Katarina still remains as one of the better red infantry mages. Her Res is good enough to use Ploy skills so she's able to provide some support, giving her an slight edge compared to Tharja, although not enough to set her a tier apart from her. Her Hp is low and her Def is abysmal so keep her away from melee/archers at all costs. 

Rating: 7.5/10

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Death Blow is a thing. There is no reason to ever run Fire Boost when Death Blow does the exact same thing with a much easier condition.

I mentioned it in Luke's spoiler, but I added a note to the part you quoted mentioning "For Panic Ploy", since I also do not consider Fire Boost worth keeping. IMO, 43 HP is very in-between for Panic Ploy usage.

Really though, I can't imagine any scenario where you'll run an Elemental Boost over the Player/Enemy phase equivelant...

Luke

• Physically focused stat line, with good Atk, decent HP and Def, mediocre Spd, and low Res.
    • Strong green, mediocre red offense matchups with a basic Brave Sword set when Hone Cavalry is active. Very strong green, decent red matchups against opponents afflicted by Chill Def (which he can run capably).
    • Very strong green and red one-range matchups with a Slaying Edge set and full Cav buffs. He will take a lot of damage from fast swords and dragons, however.
  • As a cavalry unit, he can provide a cavalry field/combat buff for his allies. He has some Panic ploy capability with his decent HP stat. His B slot is flexible enough to run a Chill without compromising his combat performance.

Overall, I give him 6.5 for combat (based on his green and red matchups on offense), and 2 for support (cavalry field/combat buff, some Panic ploy capability, Chill capability), for a total rating of 6.5/10.

Katarina

• Stat line typical of a speedy FE mage, with good Spd, decent Res and Atk, and very poor Def.
    • Very strong green, strong red matchups on offense with a standard Rauðrblade+/Desperation set, but she is buff-dependent. Usage of Atk Ploy (which is, conveniently, her natural C Passive) helps her survivability against Def-targeting foes. Sustainability through Desperation.
    • She is a capable mage tank on the enemy phase with a Rauðrowl+ set, but struggles with blues and cannot counter at range.
  • She can provide stat ploy support with her decent Res stat.

Overall, I give her 8 for combat (very strong green, strong red matchups that are buff-dependent and sustainable), and 1 for support (basic field/combat buff, stat ploy capability), for a total rating 7.5/10.

I must've goofed when assigning Tharja her combat score, because she definitely should have gotten an 8 (7.5 total) based on the qualifiers I listed. Not sure what happened there.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Edited by LordFrigid

Luke gets about a 5/10

He's not the worst, and he can certainly be usable even with a budget kit. However, he is (or was?) in the 5* pool for such a long-ass time. I like to fodder off that sword and maybe the fire boost skill. 

don't have katarina.

I haven't summoned Luke so I'll have to abstain from him.

Katarina: She has the same offense as Tharja, but also can ploy better, and her tome isn't half bad either! She can inherit the same skills as Tharja and perform just as well. She's basically an upgraded Tharja. She doesn't quite reach Lilina's heights, but she's definitely a good unit! 7/10

Luke - Why does he come with Panic Ploy, the only thing he's going to hit are squishy mages.  Ugh.  34 base Atk isn't bad for a Brave Sword, and his 28 speed isn't exactly super-doubly-fast.  If he's -Spd, he appreciates his weapon all the more.  He looks like he should be a HP-stacking monster with Fire Boost, but his HP is just too low to justify it.  IMO he's best off with Fury and a different sword - while he won't have the same punch as Death Blow, he's decently bulky.  Not the greatest, but still usable (just replace that C skill ASAP).  6/10

Katarina - Her base offenses are decent, at 32/34.  What makes her threatening is Swift Sparrow combined with -owl, for 36/38 offenses when she initiates.  If her teammates are around, she can hit 42/44 on attack, which is pretty insane.   Issue is that they need to be glued to her side, or she loses quite a bit of stats (but that's what Spurs are for).  Her high Res works well with Atk Ploy, and she can function as green/red mage bait, but she's in trouble if the enemy figures out how to scratch her, thanks to her 34 HP.  If she ever gets a personal tome that highlights her light and fast play style, she'd wreck a lot of things.  8/10

I love that we’re doing Katarina right before she was announced to have a personal weapon. That is some rough timing. Same for poor Titania. :/

Yeah.  Though the personal weapon announcement is cool, I'd need to see what that weapon is before deciding whether or not to change ratings.  If Katarina's personal tome debuffs or something, that's gonna suck.

(The) Luke: 5.07, Katarina: 7.14

Day 61

Athena: Borderland Sword

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
33/36/40
28/31/34
35/38/41
24/27/31
21/24/28

Base Skills:

Wo Dao+
( - )
Moonbow

Sturdy Blow 2
( - )
Sword Exp. 3

Roderick: Steady Squire

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
36/40/43
28/31/34
31/34/37
22/25/29
21/24/27

Base Skills:

Firesweep L+
Rally Def/Res
( - )

( - )
Drag Back
Drive Def 2

Edited by LordFrigid

Athena - She can get away with her 31 Atk because Wo Dao causes her to explode once her special goes off.  38 speed is really nice, though there's three swordies that beat her offensive numbers (Legendary Ryoma, Karla, and Mia. . .and the last one's pretty close).  Slap Wrath in her B slot, and she becomes absolutely scary once she hits 75% HP.  She wants Swift Sparrow/Death Blow/Fury over Sturdy Blow, if she can help it (though +Def/-Res can do some dumb initiation builds).  Plus, the Wo Dao can be forged.  No longer the absolute cream of the crop, but still has potential.  7/10

Roderick - 31 Atk is low for a blue horse, and 34 Spd is second-fastest (Cordelia beats him soundly, and he's tied with Oscar/Sully).  His kit is absolutely amazing, though - Drag Back on a melee Firesweep user is a hell of a combo.  He's in the unfortunate spot of being completely outclassed by Oscar, Cordelia, and to a slightly lesser extent, Peri and Camus.  With a proper offensive boon, he'll do his job as a mobile poker.  6/10, with some bias being thrown in because I find him amusing.

Athena. Her stat spread focuses on Atk and Spd while having below average Def and low Hp/Res. Her stat spread isn't bad and she can use the generic builds effectively, if you want a speedy sword Athena will cover your needs for one. With that being said, Athena is one of the few units to suffer from being 100% outclassed by another unit. In Athena's case this comes from Mia who is a straight upgrade to Athena in every single way. Athena is in dire need of a Prf weapon to set her apart because right now her only advantage towards Mia is availability which is a moot point when considering optimal conditions.

Rating: 3/10. Her stats alone would put her at a 5.5-6/10 but being outclassed to this degree hurts hard.

Roderick. He has a semi balanced spread with a focus on Spd. Roderick is...there. He doesn't have much to make a name for  himself, he's outclassed by Oscar/Peri/S!Cordelia in terms of offense and his mediocre bulk means that he's not going to be tanking hits anytime soon. His main niche is that he's not as expensive to build thanks to having Firesweep Lance by default and he makes good use of it thanks to his high Spd, although that doesn't matter in optimal conditions so he's just there. If he's one of your favorites he'll put good amounts of work but he's sorely outclassed in his role.

Rating: 3/10

Athena - A more offense oriented Karel upon release, now a bit overshadowed by him and other swordies. Her 38 speed is all she brings to an otherwise balanced stat spread. 3.5 out of 10.

Roderick - Hard to take him seriously as a firesweep user now that the role has been powercreeped by Summer Cordelia. But it is his optimal choice of weapon. 6 out of 10. One notch better than Abel, but a notch lower than Peri. 

Past ratings 

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 6.5
  102. Ninian - 7
  103. Lucius - 4.5
  104. Rebecca - 2.5
  105. Priscilla - 4
  106. Jaffar - 3.5
  107. Alm - 9
  108. Lukas - 7.5
  109. Clair - 7
  110. Faye - 5.5
  111. Ike - 6
  112. Titania - 3.5
  113. Soren - 4
  114. Mist - 2.5
  115. Celica - 7
  116. Mae - 6.5
  117. Boey - 3.5
  118. Genny - 6
  119. Luke - 3.5
  120. Katarina - 5.5
  121. Athena - 3.5
  122. Roderick - 6

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. And Leo I'd bump up to a 3.

Edited by Glennstavos

Athena: She's a good unit to fill a sword slot if you're on a budget, or just like her character. She comes standard with some good skills and weapon, and she's summonable at a low rarity. But, thanks to some refines, she's a bit overshadowed by other units who can do what she does, and if you do happen to pull a better unit at a higher rarity, well... 5/10

Roderick: 

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

31 Atk is low for a blue horse, and 34 Spd is second-fastest (Cordelia beats him soundly, and he's tied with Oscar/Sully).  His kit is absolutely amazing, though - Drag Back on a melee Firesweep user is a hell of a combo.  He's in the unfortunate spot of being completely outclassed by Oscar, Cordelia, and to a slightly lesser extent, Peri and Camus.  With a proper offensive boon, he'll do his job as a mobile poker.  6/10, with some bias being thrown in because I find him amusing.

This but but without the bias, and a rating of 5/10

Athena

• Typical myrmidon stat line, featuring high Spd, decent Atk, and mediocre Def and Res.
    • Very strong green, ok red one-round matchups on offense with a basic Wo Dao set. She can also use a Firesweep Sword for lower KO power, but more consistent performance. Myrrh is a notable thorn in her side. She can use Desperation, but is held back a little by her Atk stat.
    • Mediocre defensive performance due to an overall lower defensive stat line.
  • She can provide basic field/combat buff support to her teammates.

Overall, I give her 6 for combat (very strong green, ok red one-round offense matchups), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 5.5/10.

Much like Lon'qu, Athena suffers from not having good, consistent offense performance options, and limited defense options.

Roderick

• Offense-focused stat line, with good Spd, alright Atk, and mediocre Def and Res.
    • Very strong red, mediocre blue matchups on offense with a standard Firesweep/Swordbreaker set when Hone Cavalry is active. He does need Swordbreaker to deal with faster Swords. He can also run the other standard offensive lances (Shell Lance, Harmonic Lance, Brave Lance) well, with very strong red and strong blue matchups.
    • Strong red, decent blue one-range matchups with a Slaying Lance+ set. His defenses aren't really optimized for the role, however.
  • As a cavalry unit, he can run a cavalry field/combat buff to support his allies.

Overall, I give him 8 for combat (very strong red, strong blue offense matchups with a Shell Lance set), and 1 for support (cavalry field/combat buff), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

That was a tiny bit late, huh?
*proceeds to hide under a rock*

Interesting to note: Katarina scored almost an entire point above Tharja despite having the same offensive stat spread.

Athena: 4.8, Roderick: 5.5

Day 62

Gray: Wry Comrade

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
40/43/46
32/35/38
29/32/35
27/30/33
19/22/26

Base Skills:

Zanbato+
Swap
( - )

Wind Boost 3
( - )
Sword Valor 3

Saber: Driven Mercenary

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
36/40/43
28/31/34
30/33/36
29/32/35
19/22/25

Base Skills:

Slaying Edge+
( - )
Aegis

HP/Spd 2
Shield Pulse 3
( - )

I hope I'm not too late for Rody and Athena, been too tired to try to do so...

Roderick

Spoiler

Going over him as a Lance Cavalry, there is shockingly not much to say on him. His Attack and Speed are both average, but he is weaker than Peri but slightly faster. Both his defensive stats are bad, and his HP is average.

Making Roderick someone to talk about is the Firesweep Lance, disabling all counterattacks on both sides. Unlike the Firesweep Bow, the Lances might is equal to that of a Silver Lance, so Roderick's average Attack doesn't become too big a problem. His other skills are interesting, but don't do much to improve what he does with a Firesweep Lance, besides Drag Back. Rally Def/Res is a simple boost to Def and Res to an ally by +3, and Drive Def is a boost to Defense in a wider area than Spur Def, albeit slightly weaker.

Roderick can have the Speed built up to be one of the faster Cavalry users of Firesweep, and is actually one of the most ready units for such a role, as all he really needs is LnD3 and Luna. Being a Cavalry unit also means his reach of attack is quite big, and he has access to Cavalry buffs to make him even stronger and faster.

On the tails side, Roderick has bad defenses in general, so there's not much reason to try and make him defensive by any means. This works when building him with Firesweep in mind, not much so if you want to replace the Lance with something else. As a Firesweep user, there are other units within other movement types who perform Firesweep better than him, and in the Cavalry he is slightly weaker than Oscar while being just as fast, but most notably he is completely outdone, as both a Firesweep Flier and Firesweep Cavalry, by Cordelia, whose Attack as a Cavalry is only slightly better, but her Speed is the highest among all Lance Cavalry.

Roderick himself isn't bad. He just has competition for being the best Firesweep user. If you can ever get a good nature out of him, consider building him up, it'll be pretty cheap.

Rating: 7.5/10 Roderick may have been built with the Firesweep Lance in mind, having pretty good Speed and average Attack at the cost of any Defensive ability, letting him build up his offenses to become a premier Firesweep Lance user with good reach of attack.

Athena

Spoiler

And here ve have one of the most standard units who could be a Sword Infantry.

Athena has average Attack, below-average Defense and HP, bad Resistance, and great Speed. You really von't find any other unit like Athena, because other units build off her rather than just copy her.

Her base kit has the Vo Dao that boosts Special Damage by +10, and the Moonbow that goes well with such a weapon. Sturdy Blow tries to fix a problem that, quite frankly, doesn't need fixing, and Sword EXP is worthless.

I'm not really sure what to say about Athena, because she plays as you would expect: Initiate combat, and trigger Vo Dao Moonbow on the follow-up. Her Veaknesses aren't that hard to spot either, because her Resistance is bad and her statspread is average for what we now expect from Sword Infantry.

Is she a cheap unit to get and build, yes. Can you do better, yeah. Can she still do good regardless, yes.

Rating: 6.5/10 Athena is average as a speedy Sword Infantry, but that doesn't make her bad. Her basekit comes with most of what she'd want to go onto the battlefield, but other units can usually do it better. That doesn't make Athena bad, just maybe a little behind the times.

Damnit I was late. Well whatever, I'll try to do the two new ones later...

Edited by Xenomata

Just a small announcement:

I changed the OP a bit. Units are now divided between their colors. Frigid did this once and considering we have covered a considerable amount I think this is an appropriate change.

Also Frigid, you ninja'd me very painfully.

Edited by The Priest

31 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Just a small announcement:

I changed the OP a bit. Units are now divided between their colors. Frigid did this once and considering we have covered a considerable amount I think this is an appropriate change.

Also Frigid, you ninja'd me very painfully.

Sorry. When I clicked over to your profile it was still showing a Last Online time of 3 hours.

I like the color breakdown!

Gray. He has a balanced spread with a focus on Atk. Thanks to his high Atk and his relatively average Spd/Def Gray is able to be a powerful duelist when it comes to fighting physical threats. While he has the makings of a great unit thanks to the trainee bonuses that put him on par with Gen 2 units his balanced spread hurt him due to a lack of specialization. He will perform well with every generic build but he's not going to make a name for himself without anything unique to bring to the table. His Spd is salvageable but it's not high enough to capitalize on nor low enough to use as a dump stat which means it can be considered a waste of BST. There's not a lot more to say, Gray is decent but he doesn't offer anything that other swords can't do better.

Rating: 4/10

Saber. Take Minerva, remove her Prf and change her color and you get Saber. He has the same spread as her and yet is in a worse spot due to the lack of a niche. His stats are too balanced to make him stand out and unlike Gray he doesn't have extra BST to make it worthwhile to consider him over other swords. In his favor is that his balanced spread allows him to perform a lot of roles decently but he'll always pale in comparison to more min-maxed units. It would be funny if one day IS gives him a Hauteclere expy to keep him as an Infantry sword Minerva, although that kind of weapon already exists for sword users and Fir/Karel would be better at it thanks to their higher Spd...

Rating: 3/10

Gray - Like a lot of "villager" units, his inflated BST is spent every which way. Though the 35 base attack is certainly a nice bonus, as is the higher natural arena scoring to make up for lack of personal weapon. I like to think of Gray as Tobin with access to merges and natures, and so I'd make him an armor slayer, if not a standard slaying/wo dao set. Gray's stats never quite get high enough to be the backbone of your team, but I think he can pull his weight with a lot of build versatility. 4.5 out of 10. You can do worse than him. 

Saber - a reminder of the dark days when a Slaying Edge was locked to a 5 star unit that would never reappear on a banner. Saber is Marth's stat spread on a unit with no weapon to call his own. The Def is high enough to consider using Bonfire, but that is the only noteworthy aspect of his balanced stat spread. Guess this is the Saber who got the golden dagger removed from his inventory by the player. 3 out of 10. "Just okay" is not okay for this class.

Past ratings 

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 6.5
  102. Ninian - 7
  103. Lucius - 4.5
  104. Rebecca - 2.5
  105. Priscilla - 4
  106. Jaffar - 3.5
  107. Alm - 9
  108. Lukas - 7.5
  109. Clair - 7
  110. Faye - 5.5
  111. Ike - 6
  112. Titania - 3.5
  113. Soren - 4
  114. Mist - 2.5
  115. Celica - 7
  116. Mae - 6.5
  117. Boey - 3.5
  118. Genny - 6
  119. Luke - 3.5
  120. Katarina - 5.5
  121. Athena - 3.5
  122. Roderick - 6
  123. Gray - 5
  124. Saber - 3

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. And Leo I'd bump up to a 3.

8 hours ago, The Priest said:

Interesting to note: Katarina scored almost an entire point above Tharja despite having the same offensive stat spread.

Tharja but with the ability to res or speed ploy. I only rated her half a point higher, but that's a clear improvement imo.

Gray

• Balanced stat spread featuring good Atk, ok Spd and Def, and low Res.
    • Strong green, mediocre red performance on offense with a standard Brave Sword set. Runs into the usual troubles against bulky reds & very bulky greens.
    • Very strong green, decent red one-range performance on defense with a Slaying Edge+/Steady Breath set. He will take a lot of damage from dragons and fast swords. He can use DC instead (strong green, mediocre red performance), but this opens him up to taking a lot of damage from mages, as well as even more damage from physical sources.
  • He is reasonably capable of providing Panic ploy support with his HP stat.

Overall, I give him 6.5 for combat (any of the three options outlined will result in this score), and 1 for support (basic field/combat buff, Panic ploy capability), for a total rating of 6/10.

Saber

• Balanced stat spread with ok Atk, Spd, and Def, and low Res.
    • Strong green, decent red one-round matchups with a Wo Dao set.
    • Very strong green, decent red one-range performance on defense with a Slaying Edge+/Steady Breath set. He will take a lot of damage from dragons and fast swords. He can use DC instead (strong green, mediocre red performance), but this opens him up to taking a lot of damage from mages, as well as even more damage from physical sources.
  • He cannot provide much team support beyond the basic field/combat buff.

Overall, I give him 6.5 for combat (any of the three options outlined will result in this score), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 6/10.

Unsurprisingly, he has pretty similar combat performance relative to Gray. After all, neither has a personal weapon, and their stat lines aren't all that different.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

All my ratings.

Gray

Spoiler

A relatively balanced Sword Infantry, despite being a Trainee-type unit, ergo lower base stats but higher Growth rates. His Attack is his best stat besides his average HP, while his Speed is serviceable and his Defense is decent. His Resistance is trash.

His base kit is somewhere on the meh side of good. On the one hand, Wind Boost is worthless with how average his HP is, and Sword Valor, while valuable, has no applicable combat use. On the other hand, Swap is a decent defensive skill, and the Zanbato+ is a sword with Cavalry effectiveness, giving him an edge against enemy Cavalry, especially with his decent Attack.

Gray is balanced enough that he can run with most swords decently well, but keeping the Zanbato has it's own niches, mostly since he is the only non-PrF sword wielder who has Cavalry effectiveness. Fury boosts his balanced stats evenly, Vantage lets him get in a hit on Cavalry before they can attack, which can usually net the kill cleanly, and he can wield most Specials effectively, with Glimmer helping to get the Cavalry kill better.

His bads are that he has low Resistance to really use against the popular Mage Cavalry, and his HP is not high enough to trigger Panic Ploy on most enemy, or trigger Infantry Pulse on much more than glass cannons, let alone trigger Wind Boost on anyone... and besides his Cavalry Effective weapon, he otherwise doesn't stand out in the sea of sword units.

Coming with Sword Valor is reason enough to keep even just one copy of him, but to really use him does call for a little creative thinking...

Rating: 6.5/10 Gray has a fairly balanced spread that comes with a Zanbato+ to deal with Cavalry. Lacking anything to truly stand out, building on this one niche can prove effective. But keep an eye on his Resistance and his magic foes...

Saber

Spoiler

The flipside of Gray seems to be Saber, And boy does Saber also not particularly stand out. Average in all the same stats as Gray, but not as high thanks to no Trainee bonus. Better Speed and Defense slightly, but not quite as strong or HP bulky. But don't worry, they share the same horrid Resistance stat!

Saber also doesn't come with the strongest base kit, but he does at least have the Slaying Edge coveted by certain Sword wielders. Otherwise, we are looking at Aegis along with Shield Pulse to take as little damage from ranged enemies as possible from turn 1 (thanks to Slaying Edge keeping the cooldown low), as well as HP/Spd 2 for the same effects as HP +4 and Spd +2.

One possible route is the play on Saber's higher Defense as well as Shield Pulse with Pavise to make him take negligible damage from melee combatants, at the cost of any offensive special, or go the standard balanced sword infantry route.

I'm using the above as a point against Saber, because he really doesn't stand out at all. The Slaying Edge doesn't offer anything unique, and Shield Pulse generally isn't great on a unit who isn't explicitly designed to be defensive, especially when the defensive skill you give him is Aegis. I don't wanna say Saber is BAD, because he isn't. But he doesn't stand out.

Rating: 6.5/10 Same rating as Gray, because Saber isn't unique as a Sword Infantry. Coming with the Slaying Edge is good, but you would be best off foregoing the rest of his base kit to run with something more standard. Overall, not amazing, not Odin.

Yes, I am using Odin's good name as a descriptor. HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE NO MORE THAN A DESCRIPTOR FOR UNIT ABILITY, ODIN THE BLARBLADE COAT RACK?

I haven't summoned Gray (he really should be available at 4-star...) so I'll have to abstain from him.

Saber: Saber is one of the most disappointing units in the game, in my opinion. He was one of my favorites in Echoes so I was really hopeful for him, and you'd think that he'd be good since he basically shares Minerva's exact stats! But alas, it doesn't translate well for him. His sword was good, but nothing that other, better sword units can also get, and his starting skills are better off replaced. Even Shield Pulse, which is weird to say. He's an expensive unit to build, but there's better options, many of which are available at lower rarities and aren't nearly as expensive! Still, with favoritism he can work wonders, and he's naturally difficult to take down thanks to his defense. So at least he isn't the worst of the worst. 4/10

Gray:

Spoiler

BST: 43/35/32/30/22

Gray's main problem is that he's trying very, very hard to be the 'averagiest' sword unit. He sacrifices specialization in any one category in exchange for being mediocre at any build you might set him to.

You can L&D and speed Refine to fix his speed, you can Death Blow and Atk Refine (or trade for a brave sword) to make him a crappy Alfonse, you can bulk up with a def/res refine and a defensive A slot (Fury also counts, since you can get sustain elsewhere), etc.

But no matter what you do with him, he'll always be worse than some other choice.

Units like him are a nightmare to build for the simple reason that units like him don't actually do anything. They can tank units that don't need to be tanked (low damage units), and can kill units that aren't hard to kill (low bulk units). Anything hard to tank or hard to kill? Just ask an actual specialist instead.

He's strictly better than Alfonse in the sense that he has 7 more speed for 2 less Def while being the same everywhere else. But Alfonse can easily get a team built around him, because he's a bonus unit quite often (and nab those delicious bonus stats), whereas Gray needs to be part of a team that's being built around someone else.

If we assume that an arena team needs 20 points to function (each unit being rated out of 10 points), then Gray is a solid 5 for the simple reason that he does do what he needs to do---it's quite easy to specialize him via breakers, TA, or effective weaponry, so that he fills any gaps in the team comp---and the ability to use reposition.

Unfortunately, I don't run any unit less than a 9, so sucks to be him.

Saber:

BST: 40/31/33/32/22

You, sir, are worse than Gray.

Still a 5/10 for the exact same reasons as Gray. Yes, he's strictly worse, but not ENOUGH so that it affects his placement on a team. Those extra BST Gray gets isn't going to affect enough matchups to matter.

Never going to run him in any of my teams, but his inclusion won't break a team.