Does Gatrie get chicks?

Junkhead

He reminds me of Johnny Bravo, in a way. Seems like the kind of guy who would totally get chicks "irl". Yet, we never really see any of the sort.

And strange as it may be, while he has this go "playa" thing going on, I recall one of his endings or supports stating he's apparently looking for love and not just a cheap hook-up.

Relevant:

s14-gatrie.png

Damn, the way they look at him.

His ending in FE10 pretty much says that he gets lots of girls but never finds true love, so there's that

however, a lot of FE10's character endings are also terrible, so maybe take it with a grain of salt, I guess?

56 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

His ending in FE10 pretty much says that he gets lots of girls but never finds true love, so there's that

however, a lot of FE10's character endings are also terrible, so maybe take it with a grain of salt, I guess?

Yeah, this pretty much.

9 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Micaiah and Sothe got a good ending.

I disagree. Micaiah and Sothe literally treated one another like brother and sister, and Micaiah also kinda raised Sothe. Them getting married is creepy. Not to mention Sothe is gonig to be a decrepit old man before Micaiah even looks like she's 40. More creepy. And yet, the problem is, I can't really see them getting with anyone else...

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I disagree. Micaiah and Sothe literally treated one another like brother and sister, and Micaiah also kinda raised Sothe. Them getting married is creepy. Not to mention Sothe is gonig to be a decrepit old man before Micaiah even looks like she's 40. More creepy. And yet, the problem is, I can't really see them getting with anyone else...

That's so sad.

@Junkhead If you're saying classic Spyro has flaws you've got a lot of nerve.

I guess it could use a more epic story though? I always thought Legend of Spyro would have been perfect if it had classic Spyro's gameplay.

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

@Junkhead If you're saying classic Spyro has flaws you've got a lot of nerve.

I guess it could use a more epic story though? I always thought Legend of Spyro would have been perfect if it had classic Spyro's gameplay.

Crash > Spyro

@me

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Well, the Mayfly December romance is a trope for a reason. It speaks to the human tendency to seize happiness in the moment, even with the knowledge that it won't last. If we condemn it, we have to condemn the notion of someone like Tiki finding a partner in Awakening at all. 

The only real problem here is that she "raised" him. But is that really so problematic when such a long portion of his childhood was spent separated from her while he was off at war? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Radiant Dawn doesn't seem to establish exactly how old Sothe was when they were reunited. That could potentially have been more than long enough to break the sibling mindset and allow Sothe to grow as his own person. 

Edited by Etheus

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well, the Mayfly December romance is a trope for a reason. It speaks to the human tendency to seize happiness in the moment, even with the knowledge that it won't last. If we condemn it, we have to condemn the notion of someone like Tiki finding a partner in Awakening at all. 

The only real problem here is that she "raised" him. But is that really so problematic when such a long portion of his childhood was spent separated from her while he was off at war? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Radiant Dawn doesn't seem to establish exactly how old Sothe was when they were reunited. That could potentially have been more than long enough to break the sibling mindset and allow Sothe to grow as his own person. 

The art books tell us how old Sothe is. He was 13 in PoR, which means 16 in RD. He looks around 8 in the picture of when he first met Micaiah imo.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I ship Micaiah and Soren.  They're both branded and have claims to the throne of Daein.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I ship Micaiah and Soren.  They're both branded and have claims to the throne of Daein.

Yeah, that'd be a relationship that would work based on those points. But Soren doesn't seem like he'd care much for anyone not named Ike. :/

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, that'd be a relationship that would work based on those points. But Soren doesn't seem like he'd care much for anyone not named Ike. :/

It could work, given enough time.  Ike won't be around forever.

Edited by Rezzy

30 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Radiant Dawn doesn't seem to establish exactly how old Sothe was when they were reunited. That could potentially have been more than long enough to break the sibling mindset and allow Sothe to grow as his own person. 

It couldn't have been long, no more than three years:

Micaiah: I…I tried to leave him behind. When we went to Crimea, I split off from him and took a ship to Begnion. But when I reached Begnion, war had broken out between Crimea and Daein. I knew I had to return to Daein to look for him. I couldn’t find him, so I went to Crimea. But I still couldn’t find him… We found each other again after the war, in Daein. In the back alleys of Nevassa, where we first met.

In the same base conversation:

Ike: How long have you been with him?
Micaiah: …A long time. I met him when I was hiding out in the back alleys of Nevassa, over ten years ago. 

Tellius Recollection Vol. 2 at an apparent age of 17 in RD. This would have meant he was 7 when they first met.

If we set puberty to 12, then that would mean five years of Sothe pre-sexual awakening with Micaiah, where she is his definitively nonsexual mother/big sister, although given he still looks like a kid at ~14 in PoR, and it is stated in that game that Micaiah is to Sothe what Muarim is to Tormod, then even at 14, he views Micaiah nonsexually. 

We don't know when Sothe started having sexual feelings for Micaiah, but that in RD they prefer to refer to in public themselves as brother and sister, as opposed to lovers, indicates the transition from a nonsexual familial relationship to a sexual lovers one is not yet complete, if in progress. 

I think it ultimately comes down to when Sothe underwent his growth spurt between PoR and RD, and we haven't any certainty when this was, but it had to be before the Dawn Brigade formed I think. How many months would it take for such a small group to gain notoriety? If we put it at six months before RD, then that narrows things to a 2.5 years timeframe.

I accept the pairing has clearly dropped hints in RD now, but I'm still not a major fan of it. 

7 hours ago, ChefGuevara said:

Outside of arguably Ike's, Gatrie's, and Astrid's with a Makalov A, I don't see this. Outside of Ike, nobody just up and mysteriously vanishes, everyone has a happy ending. 

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And yet, the problem is, I can't really see them getting with anyone else...

Micaiah is social enough I can see her marrying another, maybe Pelleas? Sothe is more the problematic one here, in a way like Soren, albeit not as bad.

Sothe one can imagine living a normal life without Micaiah, as he is shown to be able to have standard social relations with non-Micaiah people, something Soren doesn't ever have. Even so, while Sothe loves Daein and honors Ike- two things other than revering Micaiah, which is more than Soren can muster outside of Ike, as RD goes on, Sothe increasingly is reduced to being defined by his concern for and devotion to Micaiah.

It would have done Sothe well if he had more, he is rather one note in being so obsessed with Micaiah. Real supports would have been a solution, but of course RD for reasons of gameplay and resource constraints alike, couldn't have those.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

That could potentially have been more than long enough to break the sibling mindset and allow Sothe to grow as his own person. 

but like you can't just do that.

i mean it might possibly be possibly possible but you really shouldn't try

that's messed up

11 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

that's messed up

Less messed up than keeping the sibling mindset and adding a romance one atop it.

If both sides of a non-genetically related duo agreed to try to abandon the sibling mindset and work towards a sexual-romantic one in its place, and it worked, it wouldn't in itself be a bad thing.

However, that two people could agree to make such a transition in the first place, would suggest something not exactly normal going on in both their minds.

Could there be good reason for the change? I guess. Maybe they have anxieties they need sexual intimacy to fill yet can't reach out to others to get it?

But more likely than not, I doubt there would be good sane reasons for such a change.

uhhh I used to ship Sothe and Astrid.

17 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

that's messed up

sup my guy

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But more likely than not, I doubt there would be good sane reasons for such a change.

I mean I'm not a psychologist, so salt my words more heavily than I salt my food, but eat them anyway- I think there's a sort of event horizon or unbleachable pudding stain that such a mindset creates.

1 minute ago, Junkhead said:

sup my guy

Hello fellow of uncertain taste. How are you today?

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Less messed up than keeping the sibling mindset and adding a romance one atop it.

If both sides of a non-genetically related duo agreed to try to abandon the sibling mindset and work towards a sexual-romantic one in its place, and it worked, it wouldn't in itself be a bad thing.

However, that two people could agree to make such a transition in the first place, would suggest something not exactly normal going on in both their minds.

Could there be good reason for the change? I guess. Maybe they have anxieties they need sexual intimacy to fill yet can't reach out to others to get it?

The psychological aspect of the sibling relationship that prevents incest typically comes from growing up in the same household, and can occur regardless of actual blood ties. But in a case like this where there are no blood ties, I see nothing wrong with it if that familial instinct never developed or was unlearned. It seems like it would be unlikely to happen as presented regardless. 

It may just come down to Radiant Dawn's lack of proper support conversations, of course. I doubt much thought was put into this, because they didn't need to do so.

Or what do I know. There's a good chance this is just one more case of Japan's nii-san fetish. 

Edited by Etheus