Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

Haven't had any problems carting around even the most wheelchair bonus units for my dual core setups (WCecilia+Surtr or Bike+Lancina). Typically I set it up with:
Dual Core-2 Eirs-Bonus unit

Generally if the bonus can reach high 50s/low 60s hp, I just give them smite, fury2 if their original A is bad, and the Panic Ploy seal. They really don't need to do much else if your tanks are good enough.
Some like bonus stat Fjorm can even serve as a 3rd tank.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beefy bonus units do have some synergy with super tanks. While it won't necessarily be optimal, that huge stack of durability from double Mythics and bonus stats means that unit may be able to split pull with the super tank. I've done that a number of times to formations that try to take advantage of the player only bringing one tank. There's also bait-and-switch tactics where the super tank pulls and then jumps out to let the bonus unit finish off the weakened enemy team. The bonus unit may offer similar refuge to hit-and-run setups or even Vantage strats where only part of the formation gets pulled. I think the only team type where it ends up being pretty difficult to fit an ever-changing bonus unit in are Galeforce teams, though that's been more due to poor Mythic synergy (which is getting way better with the introduction of Altina and Peony) than anything else, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

One bad thing about the new skill change/learn functionality being added to the unit view screen, it no longer shows you what 5* skills they have available if the unit is only 4*. I had to look up Modrecai on the Wiki to see the details of his PRF. 

It does. When you click on "Learn Skills", you just have to tap the unit to see all the Skills~

57 minutes ago, Azuni said:

Haven't had any problems carting around even the most wheelchair bonus units for my dual core setups (WCecilia+Surtr or Bike+Lancina). Typically I set it up with:
Dual Core-2 Eirs-Bonus unit

Generally if the bonus can reach high 50s/low 60s hp, I just give them smite, fury2 if their original A is bad, and the Panic Ploy seal. They really don't need to do much else if your tanks are good enough.
Some like bonus stat Fjorm can even serve as a 3rd tank.

56 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Beefy bonus units do have some synergy with super tanks. While it won't necessarily be optimal, that huge stack of durability from double Mythics and bonus stats means that unit may be able to split pull with the super tank. I've done that a number of times to formations that try to take advantage of the player only bringing one tank. There's also bait-and-switch tactics where the super tank pulls and then jumps out to let the bonus unit finish off the weakened enemy team. The bonus unit may offer similar refuge to hit-and-run setups or even Vantage strats where only part of the formation gets pulled. I think the only team type where it ends up being pretty difficult to fit an ever-changing bonus unit in are Galeforce teams, though that's been more due to poor Mythic synergy (which is getting way better with the introduction of Altina and Peony) than anything else, if you ask me.

In my experience, super tanks need two buffers just to get enough stats. Making room for a bonus unit means losing out on Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4, which is like merge +10 for the primary tank. That +4 Spd also means the difference between successfully tanking Alm: Saint King or dying.

57 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

It does. When you click on "Learn Skills", you just have to tap the unit to see all the Skills~

Oh, cool. Glad that's still a thing.

Anyway, one step forward, two steps back. I'm still struggling with team deployment. I lost a match today and was hoping you guys can take a look and let me know if it was a matter of sending the wrong team, or if it was just poor play. Here is what I was up against:

THpaEGTl.jpg

I was reluctant to bring B!Ike because of the strong red dagger Flora backed up by a dancer. Plus Micaiah. So here are the raiding parties I have setup:

• EIR, PEONY, B!IKE, B!LUCINA, H!HECTOR
  • EIR, PEONY, B!IKE, B!LUCINA, FJORM <--My highest scoring team at 160, figure I'd use it if the match looks easy
  • EIR, PEONY, THARJA, B!LUCINA, B!CAMILLA
  • EIR, PEONY, AVERSA, NORNE, L!ALM
  • IDUNN, F!TIKI, NAGI, SOTHIS, NINIAN <--My lowest scoring team at 80, used against heavy dragon/armor teams

I also have this team setup for Astra season. Haven't filled out the other Astra teams yet

• ALTINA, L!AZURA, W!CECILIA, M!CORRIN, DUMA

So which team would have been the smartest to deploy? I'm still trying to learn what works, and what doesn't. The team I used actually did pretty well. It came down to just Eir & Norne vs Flora. Both my units were in range, but unfortunately Norne would do 0 damage to Flora, so I had to sacrifice Eir by having her attack first and hope that her debuffs would be enough for Norne to finish it. It wasn't. Norne went from doing 0 damage to doing 14 damage, but Flora had 21HP. So close. I'm thinking Norne would have had a better chance if she was light blessed? I haven't blessed her yet because I'm not sure she's gonna have a permanent spot yet. I also realized too late once the match started that Norne still had Noontime equipped from when I used her in the last TT, so a strong offensive special may have let her seal the deal? So what do you think, poor team selection or just poor play/positioning?

XvQffxsm.jpg

Also, how do you insert images behind the spoiler tags? I can't seem to figure out how to do it on this board. 

24 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Not sure what to say, then, as usually my super tanks are good with a single dedicated support (either proximity combat buffer or L!Azura for a full suite of blue buffs), plus possibly picking up Def and Res Tactic from my Mythics, and I reach T26-27 on a regular basis.

Yeah, I also only use one support unit and it works fine. Bonus unit works better for me than a 2nd supporter, just slapping a Chill Seal on it and maybe a positioning assist.

6 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

Oh, cool. Glad that's still a thing.

Anyway, one step forward, two steps back. I'm still struggling with team deployment. I lost a match today and was hoping you guys can take a look and let me know if it was a matter of sending the wrong team, or if it was just poor play. Here is what I was up against:

THpaEGTl.jpg

I was reluctant to bring B!Ike because of the strong red dagger Flora backed up by a dancer. Plus Micaiah. So here are the raiding parties I have setup:

• EIR, PEONY, B!IKE, B!LUCINA, H!HECTOR
  • EIR, PEONY, B!IKE, B!LUCINA, FJORM <--My highest scoring team at 160, figure I'd use it if the match looks easy
  • EIR, PEONY, THARJA, B!LUCINA, B!CAMILLA
  • EIR, PEONY, AVERSA, NORNE, L!ALM
  • IDUNN, F!TIKI, NAGI, SOTHIS, NINIAN <--My lowest scoring team at 80, used against heavy dragon/armor teams

I also have this team setup for Astra season. Haven't filled out the other Astra teams yet

• ALTINA, L!AZURA, W!CECILIA, M!CORRIN, DUMA

So which team would have been the smartest to deploy? I'm still trying to learn what works, and what doesn't. The team I used actually did pretty well. It came down to just Eir & Norne vs Flora. Both my units were in range, but unfortunately Norne would do 0 damage to Flora, so I had to sacrifice Eir by having her attack first and hope that her debuffs would be enough for Norne to finish it. It wasn't. Norne went from doing 0 damage to doing 14 damage, but Flora had 21HP. So close. I'm thinking Norne would have had a better chance if she was light blessed? I haven't blessed her yet because I'm not sure she's gonna have a permanent spot yet. I also realized too late once the match started that Norne still had Noontime equipped from when I used her in the last TT, so a strong offensive special may have let her seal the deal? So what do you think, poor team selection or just poor play/positioning?

XvQffxsm.jpg

Also, how do you insert images behind the spoiler tags? I can't seem to figure out how to do it on this board. 

Light Blessing on Norne on that team only gives +5 HP, +4 Spd, and +5 Res so the loss was not due to the lack of a Blessing unless she had Iceberg or Glacies and even then, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference~

I would have went with Fjorm or Ike, they likely would have been able to tank everything if fully buffed. Though may not have been as easy if you're still at a Fort Disadvantage. I'm not really sure what Norne does for this team against this map. Alm would have worked well against the Armors since he is guarenteed to deal damage by cutting through their Defenses, but it looks like he had already gone down~

I can't really judge if it's poor play on your part since I only know what team you deployed and the last move you made, but I definitely think this wasn't the most optimal team for this map

You have to insert the spoiler box first, then click into it and you should be able to insert anything into it from there.

As to the match, yeah, a damage Special probably would have let Norne finish the match. L!Alm + Peony could probably have cleaned up most of the fight by themselves, so the team could have worked. The way I would have approached it with you team is to test the Heavy Trap below  The Bolt Tower with Aversa or Eir, then using the other to get them away from the line of buildings. In the mean time, L!Alm would have set up on the right so that he could pop in and snipe Flora, then get danced away by Peony. From there, I'd try to find a way to pop the wall such that L!Alm and Peony can jump the two fliers. A pick on B!Veronica with Eir would also be good, but I don't think there's enough real estate and/or assist moves available for that, so Eir or Norne would likely have had to settle for just body blocking. After that, it's a matter of getting enough regen on L!Alm to burn down L!Tiki.

7 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

That team composition should be able to handle the defense team, specifically SK!Alm and Peony. Norne is dead weight in my opinion and Eir is detrimental to SK!Alm's performance. I personally do not recommend mixing Player Phase and Enemy Phase units together since they require different sets of support, and in this case, Eir is not good with Player Phase units reliant on Desperation.

I would test all the traps first since there is nothing that punishes you for doing so. I would test the Heavy Traps first and then test the Bolt Traps.

You want to have SK!Alm step on a Bolt Trap to get him into Desperation range and then snipe Flora with SK!Alm immediately.

After that, I would to break Tactics Room (D) and Reposition away and wait for the others to funnel themselves out.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess with more experience I could have played it better.  So you think B!Ike would have been fine against Flora? Are there any melee units that I should be wary of when using B!Ike? I don't know if it's just my luck against him, but Tibarn always gives me trouble. The team I used is mainly there to deal with flying teams, I guess I'm not sure why I used them today. Norne is actually pretty tanky, but you guys don't think she has a place in AR? Should I not invest into her any longer?

3 hours ago, XRay said:

You want to have SK!Alm step on a Bolt Trap to get him into Desperation range and then snipe Flora with SK!Alm immediately.

I'm confused by this. Alm doesn't have desperation, and I don't see anything in his weapon/skills that have the desperation effect?

1 minute ago, TEKWRX said:

I'm confused by this. Alm doesn't have desperation, and I don't see anything in his weapon/skills that have the desperation effect?

He should equip Desperation. Desperation allows him to attack again before the enemy can counterattack.

In player hand's Desperation is better. In AI hands, Null Follow-Up is better. Player Phase units with good Spd should always have Desperation or some variation of it. Without Desperation, Player Phase units have little sustainability.

40 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess with more experience I could have played it better.  So you think B!Ike would have been fine against Flora? Are there any melee units that I should be wary of when using B!Ike? I don't know if it's just my luck against him, but Tibarn always gives me trouble. The team I used is mainly there to deal with flying teams, I guess I'm not sure why I used them today. Norne is actually pretty tanky, but you guys don't think she has a place in AR? Should I not invest into her any longer?

Yes, you can even watch FEHtuber Ndolger tank a P!Flora in a match today (mock battle, but the point is, it's doable with the correct support).

Spoiler

It's around 19/20 mins into the video~

Tibarn is threatening. Anyone with AOE damage is threatening. But as you play more, you will learn what Ike can and can't handle. If you play properly, Ike can tank something like P!Flora~

Norne would be a good investment on a tanking team, but she needs to be tanking. You were running her offensively here and that's not particularly where she shines (unless you build her Offensively). So you can invest in her, but with the proper team built around her and used against teams where she can serves as a ranged tank are when she will be at her best~

Today's match was pretty easy. Fjorm tanked an Eir and an Aversa, and later a Ninian, Bride Fjorm took care of a Legendary Ephraim, Eir took care of a Fae. In the corner, we had a Duma with DC and Vantage... but he was easily defeated by Fjorm.

In Defense, I got a success from a player that tried to bait my Yune with a Nowi, but he got attacked by my Legendary Alm instead. After losing Nowi, this player surrendered.

Used S!Elise for the first time today in an Official match~ It was a very Green heavy map with a Reinhardt and I was too paranoid to try to use Keaton. Luckily it went well, I was a bit scared she'd miss some kills but she managed it~

I didn't really make the connection that it was Water/Earth Season. Only need 2 kills to prevent Lift Loss so I haven't taken a hit there as of yet~

Brave Ike isn't as much help as I thought. There are still too many unfairly bulky enemies that he can't kill and he actually gets killed often himself. Guess it was a waste of time building him for AR.

Edited by Anacybele

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Brave Ike isn't as much help as I thought. There are still too many unfairly bulky enemies that he can't kill and he actually gets killed often himself. Guess it was a waste of time building him for AR.

It's probably a matter of support, not Ike himself.

My Ike this season so far killed all the enemies on the matches I fought. And he isn't even +10

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I strongly discourage over relying on one unit or strategy. If you are just throwing BH!Ike out there without looking at enemy skill sets or bringing proper supports, it is not going to help you improve.

I advise investing in a Player Phase team if you have not done so yet. Just having a Player Phase team will let you tackle at least around 10% to 20% of the maps that are simply too difficult to tank, but are pretty easy to Player Phase.

I have tried that with using Kronya exclusively for a few Astra weeks and it was horrible after the first week.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Rinco said:

It's probably a matter of support, not Ike himself.

My Ike this season so far killed all the enemies on the matches I fought. And he isn't even +10

Yeah, maybe he does need a bit more support. That could be it.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I strongly discourage over relying on one unit or strategy. If you are just throwing BH!Ike out there without looking at enemy skill sets or bringing proper supports, it is not going to help you improve.

I advise investing in a Player Phase team if you have not done so yet. Just having a Player Phase team will let you tackle at least around 10% to 20% of the maps that are simply too difficult to tank, but are pretty easy to Player Phase.

I have tried that with using Kronya exclusively for a few Astra weeks and it was horrible after the first week.

Brave Ike is the only thing I have that can tank a lot of stuff in AR though. Of course, I'm also trying to use Eir and Fjorm in my AR team right now because Light/Water week and Fjorm is a bonus, so I'm not just having Brave Ike attack and tank things. Fjorm's doing work too, and Eir is as well on occasion.

51 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, maybe he does need a bit more support. That could be it.

Brave Ike is the only thing I have that can tank a lot of stuff in AR though. Of course, I'm also trying to use Eir and Fjorm in my AR team right now because Light/Water week and Fjorm is a bonus, so I'm not just having Brave Ike attack and tank things. Fjorm's doing work too, and Eir is as well on occasion.

You Ike needs a suport unit that can really... support him.

The best candidate would be Brave Lucina. If you don't have her, the next candidade I would recommend, but you may not like, is Male Corrin. You can use Kaden as well, but it requires buffs for him, while Corrin just need ally support.

I have been using Fjorm this season, and she is amazing! My Fjorm was able to tank a Ophelia and a Legendary Alm in the same turn, and later, on the same map, a Brave Micaiah and a Legendary Julia. She has ally support with Male Corrin, which helps her a lot!

55 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

You Ike needs a suport unit that can really... support him.

The best candidate would be Brave Lucina. If you don't have her, the next candidade I would recommend, but you may not like, is Male Corrin. You can use Kaden as well, but it requires buffs for him, while Corrin just need ally support.

I have been using Fjorm this season, and she is amazing! My Fjorm was able to tank a Ophelia and a Legendary Alm in the same turn, and later, on the same map, a Brave Micaiah and a Legendary Julia. She has ally support with Male Corrin, which helps her a lot!

Yeah, and I don't have Brave Lucina, unfortunately. I can upgrade a male Corrin though, if it will help much, as much as I dislike him... And I do have one with good IVs too.

Does Corrin require his refine though? I don't have enough dew to refine a prf right now.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Does Corrin require his refine though? I don't have enough dew to refine a prf right now.

He does need his Refine. His special Refine is what provides the stat buffs.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I can upgrade a male Corrin though, if it will help much, as much as I dislike him... And I do have one with good IVs too.

You can go with double drives or Link Skill + Double Tactics if you use only B!Ike and Corrin as infantry units.

For IVs, mine is +Spd so he has a higher chance of not being double. He is not supposed to enter in combat. His main role is to support, but he can get some kills sometimes.

Edit.: Do you have stones? Just refine random units weapons to get 200 Dews, or just wait to get 200 as rewards.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

He does need his Refine. His special Refine is what provides the stat buffs.

Oh. Well, this will have to wait then.

12 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

You can go with double drives or Link Skill + Double Tactics if you use only B!Ike and Corrin as infantry units.

For IVs, mine is +Spd so he has a higher chance of not being double. He is not supposed to enter in combat. His main role is to support, but he can get some kills sometimes.

Edit.: Do you have stones? Just refine random units weapons to get 200 Dews, or just wait to get 200 as rewards.

I have some, but I don't know if it's enough to get me 200 dew again.

Oh. The one I have is +Atk. I guess I have to go pull another Corrin too then? -_-

On another note, I decided to build this guy in hopes he can help in AR with annoying flier teams and bulky enemies.

b2NPLK6.jpg

The flier teams and bulky enemies are what I have the most trouble with. Savage Blow can knock down more HP on those bulkier units and with buffs, Gordin should be able to take down any flier. Renewal is there to help his bulk since he's surprisingly kinda physically tanky. He might do well if I put him on a team with Klein, my other nuke with a bow, and a mage or dragon-slayer since a lot of bulky enemies are armors or dragons.

Yes, Gordin's weapon is also what I used the dew I had left on too.