How do you think these mechanics will be handled?

How?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How will Permadeath be handled?

• Classic + Casual
    • Classic + Casual + Phoenix
    • Classic + Casual + Ironman
    • It will be removed entirely.
    • Other
  2. 2. How will squads be replenished?

• They won't be.
    • They will after every level
    • They will after every turn
    • They will on panels on map for free
    • They will on panels on map for cost
    • Other
  3. 3. How will Multiplayer be handled?

• One mode only (Fates style)
    • Multiple modes (Capture the flag, co-op, standardised units, etc.)
    • It won't be in at all
    • Online Functionality will be tied to social aspects and heroes only.
    • Local only
    • Other
  4. 4. How will Supports be handled

• C-A
    • C-S, Anyone can Marry.
    • C-S with Canon pairings
    • C-S + Children
    • Base Conversations
    • They will do away with supports
    • Other.
  5. 5. How will Voice Acting be handled.

• Fully voice acted, no exceptions (Bethesda/Bioware style)
    • Fully voice acted with a few exceptions (Echoes style)
    • Awakening/Fates style one liners + cutscenes
    • Only cutscenes (POR/RD style)
    • No voice acting (Lol... trailer only)
    • Other

Permadeath:

My Guess: Casual + Classic

My Hope: Ironman/No Reset mode added

Squads:

My Guess: Replenished on certain tiles.

My Hope: Replenished on certain tiles at cost.

Multiplayer:

My Guess: Fates Style

My Hope: Variety of modes. Would love for a battle with pre-determined units so people who lose units are not at an online disadvantage

Supports:

My Guess: C-S + Children

My Hope: C-S + Canon pairings

Voice Acting:

My Guess: Almost entirely voice acted

My Hope: Same. I want supports to be fully voiced too.

One other I couldn't fit on Poll

Grinding:

My Guess: DLC, Open Skirmishes

My Hope: BEXP, Training with Byleth. Linear game.

Oh boy, guessing games.

They're probably gonna keep permadeath (since that's a rather defining feature of FE), but they'll definitely have at least one mode without it.  Ironman would be nice, but I'm not sure they'd implement it, since the features they add seem to be more focused on making things easier for newer players.  I wouldn't mind Phoenix Mode returning if they had Einherjar mechanics in this game, because Phoenix Mode makes building a bunch of units en mass for the purposes of sharing to other players or through the logbook stupidly easy.  This is how I was able to make an army of Oboro's who had every non-special class skill in the game.

Don't know enough about squad mechanics in SRPGs to say, but they'll probably replenish in some way.

Multiplayer, they might try to actually expand.  It really depends on how ambitious they are and if they think they can actually make something out of it.  I could see it going any which way, I'll have to see more about the direction they're going with this game before I can make a guess.  I don't care much, multiplayer isn't really my scene anymore.

C-S is pretty much a guarantee, the question is if they'll include children.  After all, they've shown in Fates that they can make marriage an interesting mechanic even without children.  In fact, other than children, this is exactly how I'd want them to do it if they aren't gonna innovate in this regard.  I mean, I don't want everyone to be able to marry everyone of the opposite gender - stuff like Azama x Sakura, Corrin x siblings, and Niles x any girl (except the ones he's actually respectful towards) are travesties.  Maybe the amount of options should be similar to Awakening, but the mechanics themselves - the friendship and partner sealing stuff - should be like Fates.

Voice acting will again depend upon their ambition.  I honestly don't care as long as it doesn't take away from the actual substance of the game.  I'd rather have grunts and ad-libs throughout their dialogue if it meant there was more dialogue than have fully-voiced conversations that are as short as the majority of Echoes' supports.

Grinding might take a different approach than normal.  Perhaps they'll incorporate your ability to grind through the free-roam feature, like they did with Echoes.  I hope they allow you to grind in skirmishes, DLC, or dungeon-crawling, as that makes the game's progression feel much more fluid and open than the riggid chapter-to-chapter formula of older FE's - I like having the option to either grind or not rather than simply not having an option in the first place.  And I don't know, doing the grind myself feels more rewarding than BEXP, if I am to be distributing "extra" experience at all.  Also, I never was a fan of arena grinding - I did that with Est in both DS games (assisted with exploits), and it was the dullest thing I ever did in a FE game.

This is all assuming they won't be innovating.  I would like to see positive, well thought out innovations more than anything else.

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

One question for clarification, with the How will squads be replenished question, does the after every level answer mean after each map, or after a character gains a level?

After the map. I could have worded it better.

We don't even know if squads deplete.

Squads made sense in Advance Wars because it was designed from the beginning for every unit to be a squad. Hence you had mechanics like combining weak units together, or doing less damage after taking hits. In Three House's Frankenstein situation, (presumably) every unit is a hero character with a squad of hangers-on around them. So will the squads take damage and deplete? Will there be a separate healthbar for the squad and the commander?

I still hate that they went in this direction at all, but my hope would be they stick to one resource - the hero's health - for the sake of simplicity.

Imo, C-S only with characters that make sense and C-A+ otherwise. I also want base conversations back alongside supports like in Path of Radiance. Why not an option for both?

I also feel a remake of Mila's Turnwheel replacing Phoenix Mode's respawn mechanic would maybe make the mode less of a non-challenge

Edited by Arcphoenix

1: Classic + Casual. I can see them going this route again. It's fair. People who like Classic can pick it, people who don't like resetting over 9000 times (like me) or who are new can play on Casual. Everyone wins there. I would like to see an Ironman option as well, even if I most likely wouldn't use it. If people want to do challenge runs, it should be to where they can set one up. 

2: Squads will replenish after every map. Maybe they will be lost in Classic, though. If they aren't permanent anyway. It may be that the squads can't be killed, only the playable named characters.

3: More modes (please please). I am hoping for this option, so I picked it, but they may do Fates style or something else. 

4: C-S, anyone can marry. I like this option, but I would like a few canon pairings as well to mix it up. As long as there are no child units again, I'm happy. They had no reason to be in Fates. Genealogy and Awakening had actual plot reasons for a second generation and it worked well. Fates' kids... I collected some for the heck of it, but they have no real purpose. They aren't avenging their parents after a long timeskip, they aren't time traveling to stop the apocalypse...so there's no point if they have no story purposes. 

5: Echoes style voice acting. I think they'll go this route. If not, I can see full voice acting as well as only cutscene acting.

Edited by PrincessAlyson

1: I'm expecting classic mode to return out of tradition, and casual mode is a useful tool to ease beginners into the game, so I'm expecting that to remain. I'd like an Ironman and perfectionist mode, where the player can't reset and where any unit death causes a game over, respectively. It seems that those are two common ways to play the game on classic, so having them be official options would be convenient.

2: We don't know enough about the squad mechanics to really say anything. I'm expecting that the squads will be replenished between maps, but anyone you loose in the level itself is gone for good until the end. There will probably be exceptions, such as a skill that can recover downed squadmates or necromancy being an option for certain classes, but I am not expecting that to be the norm. It's also pretty much a guarantee that some units will ignore the squad mechanics entirely in exchange for being a one-man army with unique abilities.

3: I never really cared about the multiplayer aspect in the past. Still, it would be cool to go up against a friend and have to buy units/classes,outfit them with weapons and then accomplish an objective. It'd be a neat distraction, but not something I'm really concerned with.

4: I'd like C-A, just to give the marriage mechanics a break, but from a gameplay angle I have nothing against S-supports. In conjunction with the child mechanics they added an element of having to balance your tactical and strategic goals, which I enjoyed, but wouldn't miss. I also wouldn't mind if the child mechanics returned, given that they iron out the flaws it had in the previous games, but I also would not complain if they were skipped this time. I do want limited support partners, this time around, though. While I found the supports in Awakening (haven't played Fates) to be of a higher quality than people give it credit for, there are several times where the quantity took its toll.

5: I'm expecting either Echoes style voice acting or a combination of Awakening/Fates and Echoes, where there is voice acting for the story events and cutscenes, but minimal dialogue everywhere else. It really depends on the size of the game and how dialogue heavy it will be.

Classic + Casual + Phoenix.

Other. While the whole squad thing will likely result in some new functions, I think they will still have a single health bar that replenishes in the usual ways (staves, healing tiles, etc.).

Online Functionality will be tied to social aspects and heroes only.

C-S, anyone can marry. I pray to Naga they leave the 2nd generation out this time, but there's no way they'd remove S supports now.

Fully voice acted with a few exceptions (Echoes style) is probably the direction they'll go with for the foreseeable future. I could see it being 100% voiced since even Echoes only left a handful of sidequest NPCs unvoiced.

Oooh, can't wait to come back to this once more info is available and see how wrong I was! I voted for my guesses, but I'll talk about my hopes to:

Permadeath

Predict: Classic + Casual   ---   The backlash from Phoenix mode in Fates was.... quite strong. I also know absolutely no one who legitimately needed this mode either. Also I highly doubt Ironman will ever be a mode, unfortunately.

Hope: Classic + Casual + Ironman   ---   Reduces the temptation of resetting in Classic mode for those who want to attempt an Ironman run. Also I feel having an entire game mode forcing dead units stay dead helps remove the stigma that Classic mode is unapproachable because of its permadeath mechanic, and may make Classic more approachable to newcomers overall.

Squads

Legit I have no clue how to answer this because we know practically nothing about squads so I picked "Other" :P

Multiplayer

Predict: Won't be in   ---   I don't think IS is going to try putting it in, especially since this is their first console game in a while. If it is in, it's probably going to be incredibly minimal and primarily social.

Hope: Don't really care. Bond units were fun in Fates but I overall do not care about multiplayer at allllll

Supports

Predict: C+S, anyone can marry   ---   IS sure is hell not going to abandon the incredibly popular shipping/waifu/husbando aspect of the series. I really think this mechanic is here to stay, better or worse. Children is a biiiiiiiiig fat no though with how the internet reacted to the hypberbolic time chamber Deeprealms in Fates.

Hope: Other   ---   I hope for a C+S system where S-rank =/= marriage. All S-rank does is confirm a paired ending between the two characters involved. And because of that, not everyone is going to have an S-rank option with every other character in the army. Basically have it more like the GBA system without the shitty support limit. Also, for the love of god, NO KIDS.

VA

Predict: Fully voiced with a few exceptions   ---   Received really well in Echoes and I get a feeling IS wants their grand re-entrance onto the console scene to be a big one.

Hope: Fully voiced   ---   I would kill to see an FE game 100% voiced.

Edited by SageOfAnys

I really should have noticed the "Other" option before voting... Oops.

1: Classic + Casual. It wasn't in Echoes and I doubt it was used much at all in Fates, so I'd be surprised to see it come back. I'd give Ironman a sliiight possibility of existing though.

2: I picked "after every level", but I'm not sure they'll actually be dying, or if their amount has any actual relevance to anything. I think "you'll never lose any" is probably going to be most accurate answer here, since at minimum you'd need an HP bar for them.

3: In my opinion, PVP doesn't work well at all in a Fire Emblem-style game and I don't think a lot of players play it either. I'm expecting it to be either extremely limited, or non-existent. I still think we'll have some social aspect ala My Castle though.

4: I think Byleth will be able to marry close to everyone, but it's going to be much more limited for other characters. No children in this game, but I think they'll make a comeback in Fire Emblem 17.

5: Ala Shadow of Valentia sounds the most likely. Based on how the "What do you think I should train" box, it looks like Bioware style is unlikely, but I'm pretty sure Three Houses will be high budget enough to allow for the "main" text to be voiced. 

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Is there even any indication that squads will die/need replenishing at all?

that is incorrect, in the trailer, one of the animations has the players squad taking out the opponent's squad, there is nothing to say that it isn't permanent.

11 hours ago, Ayra said:

I really should have noticed the "Other" option before voting... Oops.

1: Classic + Casual. It wasn't in Echoes and I doubt it was used much at all in Fates, so I'd be surprised to see it come back. I'd give Ironman a sliiight possibility of existing though.

2: I picked "after every level", but I'm not sure they'll actually be dying, or if their amount has any actual relevance to anything. I think "you'll never lose any" is probably going to be most accurate answer here, since at minimum you'd need an HP bar for them.

3: In my opinion, PVP doesn't work well at all in a Fire Emblem-style game and I don't think a lot of players play it either. I'm expecting it to be either extremely limited, or non-existent. I still think we'll have some social aspect ala My Castle though.

4: I think Byleth will be able to marry close to everyone, but it's going to be much more limited for other characters. No children in this game, but I think they'll make a comeback in Fire Emblem 17.

5: Ala Shadow of Valentia sounds the most likely. Based on how the "What do you think I should train" box, it looks like Bioware style is unlikely, but I'm pretty sure Three Houses will be high budget enough to allow for the "main" text to be voiced. 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:53 PM, Florete said:

Classic + Casual + Phoenix.

Other. While the whole squad thing will likely result in some new functions, I think they will still have a single health bar that replenishes in the usual ways (staves, healing tiles, etc.).

Online Functionality will be tied to social aspects and heroes only.

C-S, anyone can marry. I pray to Naga they leave the 2nd generation out this time, but there's no way they'd remove S supports now.

Fully voice acted with a few exceptions (Echoes style) is probably the direction they'll go with for the foreseeable future. I could see it being 100% voiced since even Echoes only left a handful of sidequest NPCs unvoiced.

These are pretty much my thoughts put together.

Permadeath: Classic + Casual + Phoenix, though Phoenix is a coinflip. The Classic/Casual combo has been working extremely well for them, they ain't gonna do away with it.

Squad replenishing: No idea at all, though I think I voted for replenish between maps since that makes the most intuitive sense, if they deplete at all.

Multiplayer: FE has multiplayer?

Supports: C-S, shipping is super-popular. Kids might get a break, not sure. Maybe pairings will be more limited this time, but that's probably just wishful thinking. I hope it's less aggressively heteronormative than previous games, too.

Voice acting: After Echoes got the full VA treatment, it'd be egregious if a bigger-budget mainline game didn't. Maaybe supports aren't voice acted, since if it's like Awakening/Fates there could be a LOT of those, but I would be stunned if the main plot isn't.

Been AAAAGES since I was here holy Naga geez well can't be blame its a barren wasteland for almost a year....

Anyway I guess I'll list the extremely likely:

-Classic + Casual + Phoenix: Obviously Classic+Casual will return but Phoenix I'm 50/50 on since I felt it was REALLY pointless maybe replace with a "Turnwheel" mode not with a new mcguffin just the function and stay only for lower difficulties Phoenix.

-After every level: since they're just simple generic disposable fodder and likely customizable in what units/weapons are used they aren't permadeath.

-I'm mixed on what option it can go either way I'm leaning toward Fates's MyCastle social aspects again since it looks like MyCastle in some form is back but more interactive with other players. Also if we get to explore other people's castles again(probably) it needs a serious overhaul like better shop selections, not be booted out for doing one thing, and maybe make skill buying seperate from battle rewards since it makes it not fun earning rewards from real hardwork strategy if people are gonna just empty all their characters inventory and leave the sieze point unoccupied that needs to be addressed......

-C-S, Anyone can Marry: let's be real that's extremely guaranteed also with Byleth obviously able to marry almost everyone. It's extremely popular by the masses and the devs praise it even one of the main reasons it came to be. Now to the interesting questions on it:

Will children return back alongside it?: this is definitely the big thing since in Fates they were not well received and a good majority of them ranked very low in their official poll than the Awakening ones(of course that might not have an impact but let's just assume it did). Like what some are saying here I can see them not being included for this game and giving them a break introducing a new benefit to pairing up characters. Even in Fates excluding the kids did show they can make marriage beneficial without them in other ways for the characters you already have.

Will non-avatar pairs be limited?: I'll be brief and say probably I feel it would help support pairs in general in writing instead of making garble up and making some unrealistic pairs.

-Fully voice acted with a few exceptions (Echoes style): AT LEAST the main story/likely new my room mode/DLC contents will be voiced not supports(excluding confessions to the player) especially assuming the cast of playable characters is marginally big.

1. Classic + Casual + Phoenix. There's a sizable 'coffee break' demographic who won't want to mess with permadeath or even end-of-Chapter delay.
2. I don't give a damn, as it's a terrible idea. You'll probably replenish them on fortress tiles and/or after each Chapter?
3. Fates style + Heroes functionality (since that's where the money is).
4. C-S with Children. Billy's also probably going to be able to bone the kiddies.
5. Echoes style or Bethesda style, I don't anticipate a regression on the level of voice acting present.

1. Classic + Casual - Pheonix mode might be included but I'm kind of hoping they don't just because it is so extra. They could just put a turnwheel and you have Pheonix in Casual to an extent.

2. I choose the first option because I got confused by the second option, and assumed it meant after every time the character leveled up. The squads being replaced after every chapter would make sense.

3. Figured that it would be like Fates, but I don't know really know on this.

4. I have a feeling it will be C-S, and that anybody can marry anybody. I'd like for it to be C-S for certain characters and then everybody else can only go to C-A, or C-A+ in the event of people that would make sense to be best friends. I would also like for the A+ to be its own support convo, and for base convos to come back. Those were fun to read through, and gave the other side characters some more involvement in the story.

5. I am expecting Echoes style voice acting. Voicing every small bits of dialogue can get expensive real quick, and I don't think there are many (if any) Nintendo games that have everybody voiced anyway.