Rallying the Troops

Jyosua

Now before you start replying to this thread, this topic has nothing to do with rules. Nor does it introduce new guidelines. What I'd like to speak with you guys about, is the overall maturity of the forum. Now, I don't expect FESS level maturity on these boards, because while it's possible to achieve that, it's not our goal to mimic FESS. What I am concerned about, however, is that this place has effectively reached GameFAQs levels of stupidity and maturity, or rather, lack of it. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration though. We haven't gotten quite that far just yet. However, if things keep up the way they have been, it will reach that point, and that will be a sad, sad day indeed.

My point is this: I know you guys can do better. When you want to, I've seen many of you participate in serious, mature discussions, and it makes me proud to be an administrator here, because then I know that creating a forum for this place was in fact a good idea. If that's the case, why am I worried you ask? Well, it seems every time something gets announced we get people complaining and going "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW" over it. That's not helpful, and really constitutes spam. However, I let people have their say, and had decided, if that's what they choose to do, so be it. But it's now come to the point, that when prospective members stop by and look at our announcements, all they see are a bunch of people complaining about what's going on, which any hint as to solutions to the things they have problems with. You see guys, it's one thing to state "I don't like this, because my logic dictates such and such..." and finish up with "I think this would be a better idea instead...". That is how you are supposed to disagree with something. Basically, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself unless you think you know of a better way. Then, by all means, please share. The ability to do that, comes with being mature about things. Now, in places like FftF, I don't frankly give a crap about how mature you are there, as long as you don't flame each other. XD But on the rest of the board, I would like to see some improvement; think about what you're posting more; don't just type something and then click the post button before you reread what you're posting. And for Christ's sake, please please please spellcheck your work. XD

I shall close with the fact that we are all like family. We also came here for a common purpose and cohabit the place, so please mind your neighbors. If you're having trouble with something, ask a friend - we're all here to help each other. I want everyone to feel welcome here, and not as though they're being left out or left behind, and by no means do I want people to feel like they can't disagree or voice an opinion. However, I want to encourage that people work things out together, agree to disagree, or simply debate about the subject. I would prefer that everyone can get along on every subject, but it is my hope that you guys are mature enough to at least try. Also, if someone is acting like an ass, or a retard, it's one thing to point out their flaws and recommend ways of changing, but it's another to gang up on them for it. If you truly wish to help the person, be respectful about it. However, I would appreciate if that was kept to PMs/IMs/IRC. All in all, I have faith in you guys, and I'm sure that not only can we get along, but we can build even stronger bonds as a community, especially with all the new people pouring in.

Hey, family isn't perfect either. There's that cousin who you're jealous of, that little sister who annoys the hell out of you, that fatherly figure who coerces you to do the right thing, and that big brother to watch your back. Also, that PM thing does not work because family interventions are better.

Hey, family isn't perfect either. There's that cousin who you're jealous of, that little sister who annoys the hell out of you, that fatherly figure who coerces you to do the right thing, and that big brother to watch your back. Also, that PM thing does not work because family interventions are better.

-_- Don't use a metaphor to justify doing something we're asking you not to do.

And yes, families aren't perfect, and nor will this community be, but the thing about families, is that a good one has members which know how not to hurt the feelings of the ones they don't care for.

Is my "maturity level" bad outside of the FftF?

You honestly haven't struck me as a problem causer, so I'd say no.

-_- Don't use a metaphor to justify doing something we're asking you not to do.

And yes, families aren't perfect, and nor will this community be, but the thing about families, is that a good one has members which know how not to hurt the feelings of the ones they don't care for.

Since child abuse is illegal, how else are we supposed to teach these young-uns a lesson?

Edited by Knife

This is a case of "if you think it applies to you, it probably does." That said, nobody's personally being blamed for anything. Let's pull together and come out of this relatively unpleasant experience smiling, eh? The community will be better for it.

Edited by Fox

Ah, good to know as I've never cared about how mature I am here and since you're now asking for us to be more mature, I figured it'd be good to hear whether I am or not from the staff. I welcome your criticism/critique ^_^

"I agree." Lol.

Actually, I think it is the amount of activity in FFtF that is doing this, though absolutely no one is listening to me. FFtF allows us to act like retards, and some posters act the same way in a serious topic because it became a habit to spam. FFtF is awesome, period. But users SHOULD know when enough is enough.

Does any of that make any sense?

"I agree." Lol.

Actually, I think it is the amount of activity in FFtF that is doing this, though absolutely no one is listening to me. FFtF allows us to act like retards, and some posters act the same way in a serious topic because it became a habit to spam. FFtF is awesome, period. But users SHOULD know when enough is enough.

I'm listening to you and I am agreeing with your points. However, I think it is better for the spammy ppl to stay where they are and not invade the seriously serious boards.

"I agree." Lol.

That's a good point. Users are expected keep spammy or otherwise unrelated posts in FFTF, and only in FFTF.

This is a case of "if you think it applies to you, it probably does." That said, nobody's personally being blamed for anything. Let's pull together and come out of this relatively unpleasant experience smiling, eh? The community will be better for it.

Fox here is right, if you think it might apply to you, it probably does. Don't go overboard in trying to do better, but give a little effort at least.

Anyways guys, I posted this mostly because of what I've seen over the past month, combined with the fact that pretty much every announcement save a couple seemed to elicit negative responses with little feedback as to how to improve the ideas.

By the way, the general boards are meant to be serious too, save a couple exceptions. And spamming in announcement topics is just... *headdesk*

I kinda agree with this here.

Though, we have to remember, that a lot of our members are under the age of 15, thus full maturity is impossible. (Even though in some cases some younger members are more mature than others. EX: (But meaning no offense to either parties) Hika is more mature than someone like Faiya.

But this goes along with the whole 'respect for other people' that I'm pretending to preach about like I'm the leader of a bandwagon. So long as people realize that everyone else here is a human regardless of different opinions, and treat people as such, I don't think we have a problem with people being immature.

In short (my advice anyway, I could be completely wrong on the intent Jyosua had for this topic, but here it is anyway.) just be considerate to other people, and try to refrain from shouting "FAYG" at anyone who posts something that may not be of interest or your view on a certain subject. I disagree with Doom on our political standings, but I don't call him a fag for it.

Edit: Also, on an unrelated note, can we keep from making our names illegible japanese letterings? Not to sound like a fat american(even though two words couldn't really describe me better) but it's hard to descern who is who when more than one person uses them. For a minute I though Tashi had gone crazy and actually posted a FFtF topic that had to do with a Serenes eatery. I had though the guy had went mad, and I started building a bunker for the inevitable catastrophy that would occur.

Edited by Lyle Dayek

I think that's the most mature thing I've ever seen you write Lyle. XD This is what I mean by "mature". Obviously I don't expect the 13 anf 14 year olds to be writing epic walls of text overflowing with eloquence, but I expect them to at least read through once, and try to use a little logic when writing something.

Though, we have to remember, that a lot of our members are under the age of 15, thus full maturity is impossible.

I disagree. It's perfectly possible for younger teenagers to act respectfully and handle a situation with maturity. Age is not a scapegoat.

I think that's the most mature thing I've ever seen you write Lyle. XD This is what I mean by "mature". Obviously I don't expect the 13 anf 14 year olds to be writing epic walls of text overflowing with eloquence, but I expect them to at least read through once, and try to use a little logic when writing something.

Since I'm 14, I'll go ahead and ask: Am I mature [enough]?

@Fox: Completely right, and seen I've been through a lot IRL, I know how to act in MOST situations. Granted, I do panic...sometimes.

@Lyle: Hika? Really? I haven't seen many mature posts from him. No offense Hika.

Edited by Citrusman

Really? I can actually be quite sensible at times. When I'm not stressed out like crazy and pulling my hair out.

But of course they can't be held unresponsible for their actions. And they should refrain from shouting the word 'Penis' all the time, but of course we can't expect them to be prim and proper hardvard students. (Though probably none of us are.)

I disagree. It's perfectly possible for younger teenagers to act respectfully and handle a situation with maturity. Age is not a scapegoat.
And they won't learn unless they've experienced it. Doing that is akin to censorship imo, and I'm pretty against censorship :E Edited by Lord Raven

I kinda agree with this here.

Though, we have to remember, that a lot of our members are under the age of 15, thus full maturity is impossible. (Even though in some cases some younger members are more mature than others. EX: (But meaning no offense to either parties) Hika is more mature than someone like Faiya.

I happen to be 14 and I've been told by multiple people here that I'm rather mature, especially when compared to a few members who names I will not mention.

Also, Hika? Are you serious?

Edited by ChaosNinji

Since I'm 14, I'll go ahead and ask: Am I mature [enough]?

We're not grading anyone on how mature they are. There's no set standard you have to meet. Just keep Jyo's words in mind when posting, that's the best advice I can give.

I happen to be 14 and I've been told by multiple people here that I'm rather mature, especially when compared to a few members who names I will not mention.

Also, Hika? Are you serious?

The people are irrelevant. It was my POINT that matters. Even if I'm wrong about the people themselves.

Replace 'Hika' with a 13 year old of your choice.

Lyle. Hika is a bad example. The only thing the guy has going for him is good grammar and spelling.

I have to ask that members not use actual SFers as examples of what a mature or immature member constitutes. It defeats the purpose of what the administrators are asking of SFers, which is, to be civil.

Edited by Fox