On a scale of 1 to 10, how heavily did you micromanage your play throughs?

Love this game finishing up my play through, the amount of depth you can go to is wild. Let’s share, what were some of the craziest things you reset for and plan WAY in advance for?

I’d say I was at an 8/10 early on before dropping off a bit closer to the end. I was resetting if I didn’t perfect fishing or botched an advice box before realizing I was going nuts after that (merchants selling bait finally set me straight on that right around tournament time), and while I was gunning for master classes early and certain recruitments, I didn’t regret forgetting to train authority earlier or get mastery abilities.

That’ll be reserved for one of my next play throughs which’ll probably an 11/10. I’ve been screenshotting enemy playables’ abilities/battalions/classes/weapons etc. so I can emulate them as closely as possible for a “canon” run. Been planning it even during my current run. No clue why I like these types of runs, I need professional help haha!

What about you guys?

My first playthrough was totally blind. I didn't know which classes were good and just sort of winged it. I found out as I was going that you needed all the skills in the class requirements to take the test rather than just one like the beginner classes, so I started to up my game about a third of the way through, but a lot of it was just too far gone. 5/10 for the back half being fairly well-organized, though.

The result of that was a 23 turn final map clear. How embarrassing.

My current playthrough I'm planning more in the sense that I'm ensuring my units all follow a specific tree to their end Advanced or Master Class, but I'm still not worrying about map-specific benchmarks because I'm not in the LTC phase of this game yet.

Probably a 10, inherited from habits of wanting to make sure all SLs are crammed to the max in one Persona LP, and because frankly, I'd probably want to reload anyways to perfect it if I dodn't know from the start what to do (Monastery section, I'm less planning when it comes to battle). I had an eye on gifts, lost items, tea conversations and the likes while playing to make sure I'd get as many people as possible in one go, and doing rather fine for myself (BE Chapter 7, and only student left to recruit is Felix). I also got a look at what Master Class I want for my students in relation to their Talents, Favored and Budding, and go more or less straight for it (I do try to get Budding Talents outside that goal where useful, and boost Authority too to have some options regarding Battalions).

I like to play characters in their canon classes (or the closest that would be to one) as well but I wouldn't go as far as giving them the same equipment/skills/battalions. 

It's just a bit immersion-breaking for me to play them as anything else although I will make exceptions for subsequent playthroughs. In past games, I've always refused to use the class change mechanics. No all-wyvern lord runs for me. Wouldn't enjoy it. 

Edited by Vince777

No real pre-planning as such, but on seeing how much impact seemingly tiny things like the questions your students ask (which give like 2k+ professor XP) meant that after the first few months, I felt obligated to look the correct answers up. So in terms of optimising things in the moment, it's probably at least an 8/10 - I will optimise for anything other than support points.

I'm slow and I prefer to learn as I do, so I didn't pay much attention to cooking, training skills optimally for future classes, getting arena rewards, using gambits and getting the best ones, forging whenever possible etc. I just went around enjoying the experience and adapting if I needed something else.

I'd rather leave all these details for my next playthrough, which's the one where I'll try to do everything right.

4 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I like to play characters in their canon classes (or the closest that would be to one) as well but I wouldn't go as far as giving them the same equipment/skills/battalions. 

It's just a bit immersion-breaking for me to play them as anything else although I will make exceptions for subsequent playthroughs. In past games, I've always refused to use the class change mechanics. No all-wyvern lord runs for me. Wouldn't enjoy it. 

I hear ya. I’ve been doing various customization handicap runs since I tried to pull it off in Birthright with the Conquest data (alas, not possible without Einherjar usage). Trying Blue Lions first as it seems the most doable without NG+

I didn't reset too often. I varied my classes: some students have their canon ones and others I made into other things. I'm struggling with Advanced tier right now just before the timeskip (I don't have a ton of time with school, so I'm still on chapter 12 of my first playthrough with BL). Ingrid can't qualify for any Advanced tier classes but she's a great Pegasus knight. I'm currently wondering if I can skip Advanced and go to Falcon Knight when she reaches Level 30...

Edited by PrincessAlyson

Probably 3 or 4 over 10 for me. 

- I resetted during Lecture Questions early on to maximize my Professor Level. 

- Maximize meal, choir and exploration choices to level up the Byleth x Recruitable Characters asap

That's it. I do plan to pair up the Battalions to their respective characters but I don't plan to use all of my characters though so I don't worry much. I only just started Part 2 of my BL (first) run but it's more so real life related delays rather than optimization. 

- Did some resets when my exams failed

- Also did some resets when my recruitments didn't work

- Forgot to bring chest keys often, had to fix that

- Used Divine Pulse if anybody died.

I should really try a Hard/Classic Ironman No Pulse run. This is why I'm giving myself a score of 7/10, as it gets worse the more I play.