Eirika or Ephraim?

The sacred stones is going to be the first FE game I play, (Not counting Heroes, but I don't think it counts...) and I know there is a point where I have to choose between going with Ephraim or Eirika. Any suggestions for route choice? (I am playing normal mode.)

So far, I have only almost killed one of my units, (Neimi) because I kept on attacking walls instead of bandits. She only survived via save-states, so... My skill level isn't that high.  I have also been avoiding using Seth, mostly because I heard that this game is easy and Seth is essentially able to solo the game while updating his instagram feed. 

Ephraim's route has harder maps, but its not by much, barring the notable exception of Ephraim's chapter 11, Phantom Ship (if it gives you too many troubles, save states will be your friend on that map). I will note that the choice of Ephraim or Eirika will make them the focus of the story, even after their unique maps, so which ever character you like the most and want to be the focus of the story should be the one you choose. As another option you could copy your save before making the choice, and play through both to see the differences (this is what I did when I went back to play through Hard Mode, playing through an Ephraim chapter, and then seeing what the Eirika chapter was like).

39 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ephraim's route has harder maps, but its not by much, barring the notable exception of Ephraim's chapter 11, Phantom Ship (if it gives you too many troubles, save states will be your friend on that map). I will note that the choice of Ephraim or Eirika will make them the focus of the story, even after their unique maps, so which ever character you like the most and want to be the focus of the story should be the one you choose. As another option you could copy your save before making the choice, and play through both to see the differences (this is what I did when I went back to play through Hard Mode, playing through an Ephraim chapter, and then seeing what the Eirika chapter was like).

Ephraim Chapter 14 wants a word with you.

I'll echo Eirika first for reasons already stated. I will note, though, Seth is the only unit that can save the village to the far left on the first Eirika route map. Or at least, he's my preferred choice for it.

Edit: Also of note, if you clear Eirika chapter 13 too quickly, you'll miss out on recruiting Cormag, who is the only wyvern rider you can get in the game (you must talk to him with Eirika; he comes from the bottom left with buddies, so do NOT send Eirika to recruit him alone!).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Eirika's route, Hard mode. Normal mode is far too easy, while Hard mode can give you a decent challenge, especially on chapters like chapter 15, while still being fun. Erika's the top choice for a first run. Eclipse is right about Ephriam's route: chapter 14 is pretty disgusting, especially for new players such as yourself. Just keep in mind: Restore staff. And chapter 11.

On October 2, 2019 at 9:59 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Why would you abuse save states anyways, even in Chapter 11? Anyways, this is someone's first time playing a "real" FE game. This is not an experienced player ready to take on a real challenge, FYI. Chapter 11 will easily be too overwhelming, even for some experienced players. It's great that you you don't think Chapter 11 is a challenge or anything but be mindful of other players. 

On October 3, 2019 at 7:17 PM, Benice said:

Thank you.

We're all happy to help! (Although I probably didn't say much other than reiterating what other people said above...) 

2 hours ago, Mukmuk said:

Why would you abuse save states anyways, even in Chapter 11? Anyways, this is someone's first time playing a "real" FE game. This is not an experienced player ready to take on a real challenge, FYI. Chapter 11 will easily be too overwhelming, even for some experienced players. It's great that you you don't think Chapter 11 is a challenge or anything but be mindful of other players.  

The OP made it clear they are fine using save states, and I'm not the kinda person to try and change the way they want to play (personally I have the luxury of playing it on a cartridge, so save states weren't an option for me). I know that Chapter 11 is challenging, that is why I mentioned it. Sorry that my original post was ambiguous on that point, I meant that Phantom ship was a LOT harder while the rest while harder, weren't much harder than Eirika's, and Eclipse already called me out on that claim being colored by my experience with the series. A lot of the challenge of Ephraim's Chapter 11 comes from being ambushed by flying enemies from the fog that you can't prepare for, and save states would give the player the ability to prepare and respond to those enemies making that map a lot easier, hence why I mentioned it as an option for OP if they decide on the Ephraim route.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The OP made it clear they are fine using save states, and I'm not the kinda person to try and change the way they want to play (personally I have the luxury of playing it on a cartridge, so save states weren't an option for me). I know that Chapter 11 is challenging, that is why I mentioned it. Sorry that my original post was ambiguous on that point, I meant that Phantom ship was a LOT harder while the rest while harder, weren't much harder than Eirika's, and Eclipse already called me out on that claim being colored by my experience with the series. A lot of the challenge of Ephraim's Chapter 11 comes from being ambushed by flying enemies from the fog that you can't prepare for, and save states would give the player the ability to prepare and respond to those enemies making that map a lot easier, hence why I mentioned it as an option for OP if they decide on the Ephraim route.

Well, that seems fair enough. I didn't notice the OP's comments in using save states, so that's my problem. And you're right about the save states- they do help a lot when the ambush spawns come, but I'm still of the opinion that they should not be used. But, since the OP's fine with it, then that's perfectly valid. 

I would just like to point out that I used save states to restart the whole chapter so I didn't have to do the whole game with one of my units dead. I didn't just back up one turn to fix it.

First, if you are a brand new player, you should be fine using Seth, since you probably won't be able to abuse him anyway. Erika's route is easier, however Ephraim's route has the better story (this is not really debatable, the main villain's character in this route is incredible, not to mention the story actually makes sense. However, I suppose in order for the story to make sense you have to have completed Erika's mode already...), maps, and characters (subjective, but it is a fairly common opinion). Not to mention the game is so easy you will probably still be able to do fine on Normal mode (or hard if you like to challenge yourself) in Ephraim's route on your first dry run. I may be biased and valuing gameplay too much, since again, you are a newer player, but I suppose if you want continuity play Erika's route (though you could just look up the storyline for Erika's route and get the same experience, since the gameplay and difficulty is almost insultingly easy, though maybe that's veteran bias).

Edited by Xander