Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem game.

Dinar87

I love almost everything about it, besides how repetitive it can feel on repeat playthroughs, but apart from that just thinking about stuff like my first blue lions playthrough...ah the memories. I love this game and am currently playing through it a 4th time in the golden dear path! I love the music especially ^^
https://youtu.be/3SNYWBT4Ovw -just feels really epic and powerful, yet at the same time sad. Like we've delivered true justice and won the ultimate battle!!

What about you guys' thoughts on it? How would you rank it compared to other fire emblem games?

1 hour ago, User name said:

Nice! Its mine too, but i am too lazy to change my favorite FE tag yet.

Did you played all  paths yet?

Not yet! Just started playing the golden deer path, though I have heard god shattering star already and damn is it a banger!

I was genuinely surprised by how good Three Houses was. After the 3DS games essentially blue balled me, I was about to drop the series with the direction it was going in, and I fully expected Three Houses to be last FE game I'd ever played.

But to my surprise, the game came around and showed it had some quality to it. The story was great, the characters could actually be invested in, and it did a really good job blending in new ideas like the Academy into the series. Overall, I was more than satisfied with the game.

It's a step in the right direction.  The characters feel more like characters than tropes.  The story is definitely better, but it still has a long ways to go.  So does the art.  Gameplay's not bad, though I wouldn't miss battalions.

It's probably my favourite game of the decade. Probably has my favourite video game cast of all time. It's obviously not perfect (plot has some warts, especially surrouding the slitherers; menus are a bit clunky, the non-CF paths, as well as White Clouds in general, are too repetitive, there really should have been an auto-monastery option, etc.) but combining the always-brilliant Fire Emblem gameplay (and 3H's implementation is in the conversation for second best in the series, only Conquest clearly does better) with this level of character writing and setting work makes for one heck of a great experience.

I say it's top 5 or 7, I simply have other favorites and while it's fun to play it has a bunch of flaws.

The story isn't superb, like it really isn't since it leaves many plotholes, *ahem* sorry I meant mysteries yeah. But it has great worldbuilding.

I didn't like how weight worked, 5 points of strength for a point in constitution isn't really neat. I would actually just preffer a constitution stat that can grow like in FE5.

It has a lot of options to turn characters into but most of them don't really work, like Mercedes as a Paladin or Hilda as a Swordmaster so it has a lot of options but it limits you in a sense.

Anyways I don't want to ruin the magic of the game for you, but it's just some flaws that come to mind.

13 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I say it's top 5 or 7, I simply have other favorites and while it's fun to play it has a bunch of flaws.

The story isn't superb, like it really isn't since it leaves many plotholes, *ahem* sorry I meant mysteries yeah. But it has great worldbuilding.

I didn't like how weight worked, 5 points of strength for a point in constitution isn't really neat. I would actually just preffer a constitution stat that can grow like in FE5.

It has a lot of options to turn characters into but most of them don't really work, like Mercedes as a Paladin or Hilda as a Swordmaster so it has a lot of options but it limits you in a sense.

Anyways I don't want to ruin the magic of the game for you, but it's just some flaws that come to mind.

ON ONE HAND this is pretty diplomatic.  Props to that.

On the other hand, is it really a good idea to point out the flaws of something when someone says they like it?

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

ON ONE HAND this is pretty diplomatic.  Props to that.

On the other hand, is it really a good idea to point out the flaws of something when someone says they like it?

Thanks, feels nice to have that acknowledged.

Probably not tbh if this was like irl and face-to-face but the OP does ask for thoughts and where we would rank the game so I mean I guess I should have pointed out the things I like as well?

Edited by This boi uses Nino

1 minute ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Thanks, feels nice to have that acknowledged.

Probably not tbh if this was like irl and face-to-face but the OP does ask for thoughts and where we would rank the game so I mean I guess I should have pointed out the things I like as well?

It's like someone talking about A Cool Thing, they ask for your opinion, and you proceed to point out everything wrong with it.  It's not a healthy way of discussing things.  Doesn't mean you have to fawn over the game, but there's ways of bringing up the issues without being totally negative about it ("I liked the customization ability, but each character's strengths and weaknesses meant that there was a limit as to how far I can take my customization.").

I was pretty sour on the game after credits. But the inclusion of maddening mode really brought me back. And I've never been particularly fond of super hard fire emblem difficulties in the past. I guess if anybody deserves credit, it's Mangs' current LP of the game. His penchant for making mistakes showed me the mode isn't really that bad once your past those first two chapters where you have nearly no options for strategy. And playing a version of the game that's super hard really justifies the monastery/prepatory activities which were totally unnecessary before. 

Also, after years of asking, I finally have a fire emblem game where you can punch the crap out of anybody. Voluntarily. It's everything I wanted it to be.

After completing all of the routes and going back in for a second AM playthrough, I can solidly say that 3H ranks a high second place. Radiant Dawn still carries for being overall more fun to play but it's a slim margin.

The character work is amazing, the lore is engaging even with some of the *ahem* issues. Most of the supports land as they were intended I feel. I like the monastery for this game and don't actually have a problem with the weapon durability in it either, the gambits were an interesting idea. My biggest problem with it is that the battles in 3H eventually just become a samey slog. I'd love to have more varied objectives like there used to be and I'm one of the rare souls that enjoys Fog of War maps so I'd have liked to see more than 3 total of those in the game.

The biggest thing in its favor though is that I now have a tie for my favorite Lord in the series! Really, I adore Micaiah so the fact that Dimitri managed to tie her is kind of a miracle.

Have only finished VW, CF, and almost half of AM, but I'm confident calling it my second-favorite FE, after Radiant Dawn, and my fave Switch title thus far. There's so much to do in it, the characters and worldbuilding are among the strongest we've seen, the voice acting is out-of-this-world, and there are so many ways to customize your army. Sure, there are issues with stuff like class balance, background designs, and some tedious gameplay. But it's nonetheless a striking step forward for the series.

Not sure where I'd rank this. It can offer challenge in terms of enemy stats I see, even on Hard, but I'm a bit mixed on map design. It isn't atrocious, but I don't know why I'm feeling the nonaggressive nature of a lot of enemies in this game more than I do in other FEs.

Not sure about my thoughts on the class system and character development either. It isn't bad, but I don't know if I love it. The return of Wt is okay for me, and the 1/5th of Str formula with as high Str values as this game can have does keep Wt relevant, if not over-domineering either.

It is mine also, and I've been playing FEs for a long time. I was always more of a Matsuno (Tactics Ogre, FFT, etc.) style SRPG player, and FE16 was the first one that gripped me from a plot and setting standpoint since the Tellius games. Mechanically, the game is pretty good as well but it's in story and presentation that it truly shines.

Not a popular opinion, I know, but I have a hard time with people that lionize FE4, FE5 in comparison to the modern entries. Genealogy's plot was amazing, but the mechanics have aged significantly and now come across as stupid (pawn shops?) and the maps would drag on forever.

I don't know if this was due to Kou Shibusawa's involvement, since their R3K games were always pretty strong on the role-playing front, but F3H has nuance and it feels like your choices matter - though not all routes seemed to have been given the same amount of attention. When I think of FE13, I mean, the world is so sketchily drawn... It almost feels like you're on an empty stage, where only the characters shine.

Chinatsu Kurahana's designs are more mature than the usual Kozaki fare we were fed during the 3DS era and, to top it off, the soundtrack is full of bangers. I started a sixth play-through recently during a particularly long Amtrak journey and it gave me actual goosebumps when the new track (Corridor of Seasons) started playing.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I was pretty sour on the game after credits. But the inclusion of maddening mode really brought me back. And I've never been particularly fond of super hard fire emblem difficulties in the past. I guess if anybody deserves credit, it's Mangs' current LP of the game. His penchant for making mistakes showed me the mode isn't really that bad once your past those first two chapters where you have nearly no options for strategy. And playing a version of the game that's super hard really justifies the monastery/prepatory activities which were totally unnecessary before. 

Also, after years of asking, I finally have a fire emblem game where you can punch the crap out of anybody. Voluntarily. It's everything I wanted it to be.

Completely agree with this point. I enjoyed myself after my 4 play through on hard, but besides my first run through the game was very easy and I started hating the monastery due to how useless it felt. after Maddenings release I feel like everything matters, and the difficulty is actually difficult. It feels about as hard as RD hard mode imo, minus the Haar or Laguz Royals.

2 hours ago, Komatsu said:

It is mine also, and I've been playing FEs for a long time. I was always more of a Matsuno (Tactics Ogre, FFT, etc.) style SRPG player, and FE16 was the first one that gripped me from a plot and setting standpoint since the Tellius games. Mechanically, the game is pretty good as well but it's in story and presentation that it truly shines.

Not a popular opinion, I know, but I have a hard time with people that lionize FE4, FE5 in comparison to the modern entries. Genealogy's plot was amazing, but the mechanics have aged significantly and now come across as stupid (pawn shops?) and the maps would drag on forever.

I don't know if this was due to Kou Shibusawa's involvement, since their R3K games were always pretty strong on the role-playing front, but F3H has nuance and it feels like your choices matter - though not all routes seemed to have been given the same amount of attention. When I think of FE13, I mean, the world is so sketchily drawn... It almost feels like you're on an empty stage, where only the characters shine.

Chinatsu Kurahana's designs are more mature than the usual Kozaki fare we were fed during the 3DS era and, to top it off, the soundtrack is full of bangers. I started a sixth play-through recently during a particularly long Amtrak journey and it gave me actual goosebumps when the new track (Corridor of Seasons) started playing.

That sounds great 😃 I'm glad you enjoy the game so much! How would you say the world building is comparable to the tellius series (I agree but I wanna know what you think)? 

3 hours ago, Komatsu said:

The thing is, liking the gameplay is subjective. I love fe4’s gameplay and how it involves gameplay story segregation. The wide open maps, the lover system and the introduction of the weapon triangle are all awesome things that I personally enjoy. I don’t think the mechanics have aged poorly at all, but I wouldn’t force anyone to play the game if they didn’t like the gameplay.

I got a crap ton of issues with the game, but, yeah, it's a pretty good game. Definitely a top tier FE game or close to it. Two big things I wish would happen and I guess could, though I'm not getting my hopes up: A route that lets you have all characters and HAVE A POST-GAME! Like is that too much to ask for? The latter that is. Turned into a rant a little, bit, but yeah, good game.

It’s hard to say for certain but it is out there with Tellius and The Sacred Stones. The soundtrack is alright but the characters is what I like the most about the game. With the exception of Silver Snow, I enjoyed the story a lot especially Azure Moon though I still have a little ways to go with Verdant Wind.

Overall it really is an amazing game.

It's already my 2nd favorite FE game and I haven't finished Verdant Wind or touched Silver Snow yet.

I wish replaying White Clouds wasn't such a slog and there was a post-game, though.