Thoughts on FEH's fanservice

FEH and fanservice  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play FEH for the fanservice?

• Yes, I play FEH mostly/entirely for the fanservice
    • Yes, but I enjoy other aspects of the game
    • No, but I don't mind the fanservice
    • No, and fanservice sours my enjoyment of FEH
    • I like fanservice, but FEH doesn't cater to me
    • Fanservice doesn't affect my experience with FEH
  2. 2. Do you, PERSONALLY, think FEH needs more fanservice?

• Yes, I would like to see more fanservice
    • No, I think fanservice is fine as is
    • No, but it needs variety
    • No, and I would like to see less
    • I don't care either way

7 hours ago, Othin said:

This actually describes a part of the problem really well. It's not just about the outfits that do show up, but also about the ones that show up less or not at all as a result. 

I feel like a lack of pants is at least more understandable for mages and clerics and the like -- units who are probably not on the frontlines. Certain characters who should be wearing pants I could give sort of a pass to, like Eirika I guess, since she's not a dedicated fighter or anything and that could've just been her standard princess attire when she ran away.

What I do think is egregious are cases in which one class is fully covered while the other is not. For example, female knights (Fates), paladins (Awakening and Fates), and great knights (Fates, don't remember Awakening). These classes ride on a horse. They are frontline close range fighters. The guys have pants. It's pretty stupid that the women are in their panties. Like ... if they want to make some of the class outfits fanservice-y, do it on something that makes sense!

Etrian Odyssey is generally good about making their practical classes practical for BOTH genders. Their equivalent of armored knights look equally practical for both the men and women. Meanwhile, classes like their dancers and the half-naked necromancers are fanservice-y for both. Of course there are some cases in which the female characters are a lot more scantily clad than the male classes, but at the very least EO's pretty good at making their practical close-range frontline classes look practical for both genders. FE said "fuck that" once it depantsed female paladins and great knights and armors.

Edited by Sunwoo

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

speaking of male fanservice. Hot springs Ryoma. that is all

Ehh... the artstyle killed it for me. Same artist as his Fates Summer DLC I would guess. I don't think the direction is bad, I just don't personally care for it.

41 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Of course there are some cases in which the female characters are a lot more scantily clad than the male classes, but at the very least EO's pretty good at making their practical close-range frontline classes look practical for both genders.

Since you're speaking of FE Armors, might as well put up pictures of Protector/Hoplite/Fortress/Dragoon, the closest thing in EO.:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20120708044742

latest?cb=20150627144834

latest?cb=20130307034258

latest?cb=20160422153021

I have a full collection of images of Xenoblade Chronicles X armor male and female, with no, some, and major disparities in protection between the genders I could post. But, this is getting off topic, although the topic itself has, fortunately, more or less died by this point.

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Certain characters who should be wearing pants I could give sort of a pass to, like Eirika I guess, since she's not a dedicated fighter or anything and that could've just been her standard princess attire when she ran away.

Seriously? Eirika's original design is one of the best in the franchise. Classic FE did a phenomenal job at not only delivering tasteful sex appeal in its designs, but balancing them with a bit of practicality unlike Fates or Awakening which have so many overly busy and trashy designs.

Edited by MixSchrecks

those overly busy and trashy designs but especially the expanded support conversations and marriages with all the female members saved the franchise though. 

IS gave the people what they wanted and the sales have been better than ever.

prior to awakening with the expanded support conversations and the avatar system for them S supports the sales where really bad. sales where maybe only a couple 100K per title?

3 minutes ago, SwordsDude said:

those overly busy and trashy designs but especially the expanded support conversations and marriages with all the female members saved the franchise though. 

IS gave the people what they wanted and the sales have been better than ever.

prior to awakening with the expanded support conversations and the avatar system for them S supports the sales where really bad. sales where maybe only a couple 100K per title?

I'm not gonna dispute the S supports with the avatar (specifically the avatar since matchmaking has been a thing since forever now and the only thing that's noticeably different is that there's a self insert now) but I don't think the designs make much of a difference judging by Three Houses who also sold well and Dorothea and Manuela are the only designs that come close to "thrashy" sex appeal.

To answer both questions simply: I don't care about fanservice. Female characters in revealing outfits were not drawn for me and I, despite being a woman myself, am not offended by fanservice. I have friends who like it, and I am perfectly fine with it because, well, sex appeal sells (Marilyn Monroe's example is both famous and infamous depending on how you look at her situation). As for fanservice for women, it does seem fairly limited, but admittedly, I cannot help but whistle a little whenever I look at Frederick's summer alt because, well, it's Frederick, my favorite Awakening man, and my does he look good. Then again, my interest in the game does not depend on his abs.

All in all, it does not affect my experience because I play FEH for FE characters, gameplay and stories I personally find interesting. Is it necessary? No, and sometimes it gets ridiculous, it really does, but I don't think worrying about fanservice, of all things, is good for my nerve cells (obviously, I am bothered by loli/shota fanservice in general, for example, but that is a can of worms I am not willing to open). I mean, I do have a figure of Camilla and I am not bothered by her... anything, really. In conclusion, I understand why some people hate it, but I also understand why some people like it.

Edited by Talen

9 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I'm not gonna dispute the S supports with the avatar (specifically the avatar since matchmaking has been a thing since forever now and the only thing that's noticeably different is that there's a self insert now) but I don't think the designs make much of a difference judging by Three Houses who also sold well and Dorothea and Manuela are the only designs that come close to "thrashy" sex appeal.

Matchmaking a thing in all of fire emblem howso?

In my experience the matchmaking in the older games  It was just there on the side aside from the most canon relationships with the story it's pretty missable, most people would probably not even bother with it. The main appeal of the past games was it's gameplay and in a lesser degree the cheesy story line there was not much stuff to work with.

FE path of radiance with one of the larger support systems in a (classic) fire emblem game for the most part barely any romance at all. it is very limited

Fe radiant dawn. support system slaughtered compared to path of radiance.

FE shadow dragon had some stuff going with some canon relations ships and some things on the side, however that game had zero support conversations. 

FE sacred stones sure we got some stuff there with some memes if you looked hard enough. however again very limited support conversations only limited to 5 per character. so you could only get 5 c supports 1 B and 1A or 2B and 1C you get the picture

FE blazing sword in terms of relationships less sauce than sacred stones but with the same limited support system

geanology of the holy war marriage and the next generation of kids fighting the war. I can hardly count that as fanservice it was fitting of the story rather than to be there for fanservice I can hardly count that.

Can we like not forget that supports in all of the above games are all very minor parts of the game requiring very little time at all, a pretty small part of the game.

Awakening onwards though. avatar can S support all characters love confessions. tons of other characters have S support with each other aswell. how can I make the perfect kids. and you might say that tree houses toned it down however as a trade off your training your student in a school experience Sure awakening and fates had supports. fates had a bit more than that aswell. but tree houses had student activities eating singing with your students etc just a different kinda fetish really wich takes up a more sizable chunk of the game than past releases. TBH It's not even close tree houses kinda blew the support and team building thing to heavy proportions a way more sizable chunk of the game compared to even fates.

Shipping mainly became a thing in awakening onwards. it was more in your face about it and it became a sizable chunk of the game to create the perfect kids for some while in past games it was there on the side usually very limited most people kinda forget about it and it had little impact on the gameplay. Sure marth caeda is a thing. Seth eirika, some husband and wife duo's you name it big deal sure part of the story interesting. it was there but the shipping wars was really niche with pre awakening games before awakening happened.

Revealing outfits naturally classic fire emblem was either pixels or early 3d. so naturally that's going to go up a bit in them modern releases but that's not that big of a deal really. I will say though classic fire emblem art I kinda liked it allot better than the current more generic anime art. it was somehwat less anime looking if where talking fe games released before awakening. if where talking character models portraits. Fire emblem always had a certain art style to it. it wasnt as anime looking it stood out i really liked that. awakening sadly changed that to make a hell lot more generic anime like a ton of rpg's. and tree houses once again a step above that. It's not bad but it's a shame that fe could not keep the more old less anime art work for them models and portraits. FE valentia of one of the newer titles was a step in the right direction to make it more like the old art style so there was that in terms of character art.

if where talking some cg or official art work scenes in the older games

I loved them cg's and some of the official art. Some pieces almost looked like a painting. They where awesome

]nVAMhNlKYxjfjJb-800x450-noPad.jpg?152884

]fe11-marth-fighting-bandits.png

fe10-collapsing-castle.png

Ike_Battle.jpg

Edited by SwordsDude