My grandma accidentally got a movie from Spain.

Espurrhoodie

So, uhhh my grandma has been looking for the movie "Sayonara" for about 2 years I think? And she found out that my aunt could order it from Amazon.

Well, it came!.... from Spain.

Now, surprisingly enough, this isn't the first time someone in my family ordered something off Amazon and had it come from a country that wasn't America. My other aunt ordered Pokemon White for me a few years ago and, for some reason that is absolutely beyond me, it was a version from Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and the United Arab Emirates. It was also in English and actually worked with my DS. (Are DS games region locked?) My aunt still has no clue how that happened.

Thankfully, it does have the original English audio, but it doesn't have English subtitles which kinda sucks because with older movies the audio isn't that great so I can't really hear things that well, but hey, at least it works?

Nintendo DS games are not region-locked IIRC.

I get CDs/records from places that are totally unintended, too (which sucks if, for example, I'm looking for the first pressing of a CD which supposedly comes from, say, Germany, only to get a British release, which would be anything BUT first press!).

Edited by Karimlan

8 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

Nintendo DS games are not region-locked IIRC.

That solves that question!

9 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

I get CDs/records from places that are totally unintended, too (which sucks if, for example, I'm looking for the first pressing of a CD which supposedly comes from, say, Germany, only to get a British release, which would be anything BUT first press!).

That really sounds like it sucks.

43 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

That really sounds like it sucks.

For a collector of physical media, it most certainly does. Thankfully, it hasn't happened a lot of times with me, and I was able to sell off the CDs somehow.

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Well isn't Sayonara a Spanish word? Kind of fitting lol.

EDIT - No it's Japanese, I'm dumb.

When I was a kid I thought it was Spanish too, was confused when I heard a Japanese person say it.

1 hour ago, Hectorcopter said:

DS games are not region locked the original DS and DS Lite, but they are on the DSi and 3DS I believe.

I played it on a DSi and maybe also my 3DS and it worked.

13 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I played it on a DSi and maybe also my 3DS and it worked.

Was it an American DSi? You said the game was from Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and the UAE? I'd like to know how exactly that works but... Malaysia, at least, is actually part of NTSC-U region. So the region lock doesn't apply. Maybe that's why.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Was it an American DSi? You said the game was from Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and the UAE? I'd like to know how exactly that works but... Malaysia, at least, is actually part of NTSC-U region. So the region lock doesn't apply. Maybe that's why.

Yep. An American DSi. The only things I have imported are the aformentioned movie and video game, a few figurines, and the soundtrack for Madoka Magica.