Anime Discussion Thread

ciphertul

41 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Bits and piece but not a full episode yet.

I see. You'd probably enjoy it.

By the way, earlier I mentioned that I recently finished watching an anime called Golden Kamuy. Have you heard of it?

Edited by vanguard333

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So um... I've been putting Made in Abyss on the backburner for years now. Always looked interesting, but I just kept it as a just-in-case-I'm-ever-bored emergency.

Well I got bored and I decided to watch it. All 13 episodes of what I now know is just season 1.

So my thoughts: What the fuck did I just watch.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I finally got around to subbing to Crunchyroll, and I'm really impressed with Eighty Six.

That really is a good show. That reminds me that I really need to finish watching it (they had to release a couple of episodes earlier this month for some reason after leaving things on a cliffhanger that definitely did not come across as an intentional cliffhanger, and I haven't gotten around to watching those episodes yet).

I've mainly still been watching the brand new anime Love of Kill, but I also recently rewatched Golden Kamuy. Honestly, I'm surprised that Golden Kamuy isn't very popular in the west; sure, it is very much a show about Japan (specifically the island of Hokkaido and its rich history), but it is a really good story with some great characters, and it surprisingly has a lot in common with the Western genre.

I've seen some fans blame the CGI bear in the first episode for the show not being popular in the west; can one bit of questionable CG really turn a lot of people off a show?

Given that it's set in Meiji-era Hokkaido, which is the time and place that the Hisui Region in Pokemon Legends: Arceus was based on, I wonder if maybe that might help the show's popularity in the west in some way; it certainly has sparked at least a few jokes online comparing the game to the show.

Edited by vanguard333

The entire reason I subbed to Crunchyroll was to avoid the commercials that broke the player more often than not.

But no. The player is legitimately broken. It's actually the worst video streamer I've ever encountered, and it frustrates me that the death of Funimation means that it's going to be the main anime streaming platform full stop. I mean, I can't even watch an episode of Jojo without it hitching every few seconds, with the audio continuining while the video does not. This shit is what one would expect from a third rate piracy torrent, not the premier streaming service owned by Sony of all companies.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

On 3/21/2022 at 7:26 AM, vanguard333 said:

That really is a good show. That reminds me that I really need to finish watching it (they had to release a couple of episodes earlier this month for some reason after leaving things on a cliffhanger that definitely did not come across as an intentional cliffhanger, and I haven't gotten around to watching those episodes yet).

the official statement is: production issues. some people including me guessing that the whole fight is hard to choreograph even with the help of 3DCG. and then maybe some other issues they are not privy to share outside the studios. thankfully the show choose to retain the quality over meeting deadline. and the big gap between air time mainly because theres just no timeslot (in japan tv broadcast) iirc.

that said watch the late 2 episode!

Edited by joevar

9 hours ago, joevar said:

the official statement is: production issues. some people including me guessing that the whole fight is hard to choreograph even with the help of 3DCG. and then maybe some other issues they are not privy to share outside the studios. thankfully the show choose to retain the quality over meeting deadline. and the big gap between air time mainly because theres just no timeslot (in japan tv broadcast) iirc.

that said watch the late 2 episode!

Thanks for the info.

I will definitely watch the last couple of episodes.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, vanguard333 said:

Thanks for the info.

I will definitely watch the last couple of episodes.

Here you go, this is the Spy x Family official main trailer.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Um... I was talking about 86 EIGHTY-SIX in the statement you quoted.

I know, but we where talking about Spy X Family. Quoting you is easier the at’ing you yes?

Edited by ciphertul

18 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I know, but we where talking about Spy X Family. Quoting you is easier the at’ing you yes?

Yeah, we did talk about that earlier. I guess I'm just saying that, if you're going to quote me, perhaps quote a part that won't make me confused by your reply (in this case, quote when we were talking about Spy x family).

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah, we did talk about that earlier. I guess I'm just saying that, if you're going to quote me, perhaps quote a part that won't make me confused by your reply (in this case, quote when we were talking about Spy x family).

The quote was only meant to get your attention which it did. I even said Spy X Family in my post. But anyways did you watch it?

13 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

The quote was only meant to get your attention which it did. I even said Spy X Family in my post. But anyways did you watch it?

I'm just saying that it's confusing to grab a completely unrelated quote.

No, I have not watched it yet.

23 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm just saying that it's confusing to grab a completely unrelated quote.

No, I have not watched it yet.

I meant the trailer, I think the series starts on 4/9z

41 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I meant the trailer, I think the series starts on 4/9z

I know you meant the trailer; I was saying that I haven't watched the trailer yet (I'm currently trying to write another chapter of my book right now).

Well, I just watched the last episode of Love of Kill. It's funny; I originally watched the show out of sheer curiosity as the premise seemed so bizarre that I had to see if the story was taking it seriously or not, and now, here I am hoping that the show gets a second season.

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Currently watching Golden Kamuy at a friend's recommendation. He said it was literally better than FMA. It's not that (nothing is), but it is really good.

Awesome; I watched that show for the first time a month ago, and it is indeed really good (I've even been recommending it at pretty much every opportunity on this site). One thing I particularly enjoy about the story, being a history enthusiast, is just how much attention to detail went into getting the historical context, and especially the Ainu Culture, correct.

Out of curiosity, how far are you into it? I just want to know in case I accidentally say any spoilers.

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Awesome; I watched that show for the first time a month ago, and it is indeed really good (I've even been recommending it at pretty much every opportunity on this site). One thing I particularly enjoy about the story, being a history enthusiast, is just how much attention to detail went into getting the historical context, and especially the Ainu Culture, correct.

Out of curiosity, how far are you into it? I just want to know in case I accidentally say any spoilers.

Midway through Episode 10.

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

Midway through Episode 10.

Ah, okay. So, you're still in the first season then (there are three seasons, each twelve episodes long, and they just announced season 4).

What did you think of the CGI bear in the first episode? I personally didn't mind it, and I was quite surprised to see that apparently a lot of people complained about it when the first episode originally released.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Ah, okay. So, you're still in the first season then (there are three seasons, each twelve episodes long, and they just announced season 4).

What did you think of the CGI bear in the first episode? I personally didn't mind it, and I was quite surprised to see that apparently a lot of people complained about it when the first episode originally released.

It was fine. Not great, but at least it didn't take me out of it like truly bad CGI in some craptastic anime (cough Netflix Dragon's Dogma cough).

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It was fine. Not great, but at least it didn't take me out of it like truly bad CGI in some craptastic anime (cough Netflix Dragon's Dogma cough).

That was pretty much my thought on it (though I haven't seen Netflix' Dragon's Dogma; I didn't like the game's story in the first place). Apparently one reason the bear was CG was a stylistic choice to make it more unnerving. I'd say it succeeded, though not on the way they intended given how a lot of people reacted to it.

Anyway, what do you think of the show's opening?