Sign in to follow this  
leetic

Nonbinary gender options

For your gender, you are only allowed to select "Male", "Female", and "Undisclosed", which is heavily limiting to people like me who have identities that fall outside of those categories. There should at least be a "Nonbinary" option to pick as your gender, as well perhaps some of the more specific identities (such as "Agender", "Genderfluid", etc.)

I definitely second this. My preferred option would be for "Other" which would lead to a field where people could enter whatever label they feel most comfortable with, though I'm not sure how easy that is from a design standpoint.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I definitely second this. My preferred option would be for "Other" which would lead to a field where people could enter whatever label they feel most comfortable with, though I'm not sure how easy that is from a design standpoint.

Watch how @Integrity will complain on the amount of work it'll take to expend a few menus.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Undisclosed works though? When I see it I assume the person is non binary.

You shouldn't. Undisclosed means they're just not saying. Nonbinary is a disclosure.

Edited by Florete

1 minute ago, Florete said:

You shouldn't. Undisclosed means they're just not saying. Nonbinary is a disclosure.

Huh, I guess I don't understand why someone would want to not say. But okay.

I mean I guess either that or they haven't done their profile yet.

Edited by Dragoncat

7 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Watch how @Integrity will complain on the amount of work it'll take to expend a few menus.

i've literally never done this, what the fuck?

EDIT: anyway, this random attack aside, i might as well say something productive in the thread

i'm the straightest, cisest, whitest gay dude in the world, so most of the major gender identity dialogue goes just a little bit over my head. one thing i've been thinking loosely about for a while is stripping the gender field out on the admin side and replacing it with a pronouns field

like, the way i see it from my limited perspective, the point of the gender field is to inform people how to refer to you in the third person; when the defaults were created back in 200x, the general dialogue was that he/him - she/her covered a sufficient enough amount of people to just say it was good enough. it wasn't really then, and it still isn't particularly. in that case, why not just axe the gender field and put in a pronouns field instead?

i can't mix fixed options you pick from a list with type-your-own options as far as i'm aware, so it would still have to have some limitation, but i think it could be more inclusive to more people with fewer options on the list

happy to entertain thoughts

Edited by Integrity

i'm gonna break the rules and doublepost because if you edit a ping in it doesn't actually ping the user and i do want to specifically hear op's thoughts on my proposal @leetic

Edited by Integrity

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

i'm gonna break the rules and doublepost because if you edit a ping in it doesn't actually ping the user and i do want to specifically hear op's thoughts on my proposal @leetic

That solution sounds fine to me

19 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Huh, I guess I don't understand why someone would want to not say. But okay.

I mean I guess either that or they haven't done their profile yet.

Some people know perfectly well what their IRL gender is, but just don't want to be identified as female/male/etc online by strangers.  Or, depending on how involved it is, if you're trans, it could be considered outing yourself.