Jump to content
sinfonic18

What are the best (and worst) units to use in Path of Radiance?

Recommended Posts

Title. This is my first time playing the game, I'm on chapter 1 and I'm doing it semi-ish blind. (I've seen some playable units in this title) 

Basically like my other FE unit boards. What are the best units to invest time and effort into and the worst units which aren't worth it at all? 

Right now I got: Ike, Boyd, Titania and Oscar.

I don't really have much bias against pre-promotes lately so feel free to suggest those if they are good! Thanks!

Edit! And I should add I'm playing on Difficult mode!

Edited by sinfonic18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horses and flyers good
Swords and bows bad
Do train Ike tho

I'm not even kidding - but I am giving a bit of a half-truth with that. The thing is that all your units are quite strong compared to the enemy, which means that 1-2 range and high mobility are the main factors to differentiate which units are considered to be the best in PoR. However, this also means that you literally can't screw yourself over by going for the wrong characters, so even when you're being told that Mia and Rolf are awful in this game (and they are) - don't let that dissuade you if you like their mug and/or character.

A few specifics that I can think of:

  • I'm serious about Ike. For one, his growths are actually very, very good and despite his swordlock, he's legit good once he promotes. But you also want him to be at a high, if no maxed, level for the endgame because {spoiler} and {spoiler}
  • Once he becomes fast enough to double, Boyd probably has the best combat in the game - which makes him really good and fun to use despite his lack of a horse.
  • Cavaliers can freely pick a second weapon type when they promote. The best pick is always axes (although you can pick bows with Oscar for funsies - he can unlock a bow triangle attack with his bros if you do that. Category "cool, but impractical"). It also means that the Sword Cav that you'll recruit later is still quite decent and the Bow Cav (who has an ability that doubles her XP gain) is even better.
  • Between the healers, the second one is a bit more recommended, all things considered. While her combat will still suuuuck after promotion, she gets a horse and is very useful when {spoiler}. (You can also grind her sword rank until she can use the - unfortunately limited - magic swords. Cool but impractical, as well)
  • Mages are all decent. Frail, so you'll have to be careful where to expose them to combat, but the 1-2 range is neat and there's a couple siege tomes that you can get. One point of advise: The true legendary tome is the forged Thunder tome.

One final thing - there is some merit to finish chapters quickly in this game. You get "bonus experience" for beating a chapter, and going over a map-specific turn limit will slowly reduce the amount you get. That BEXP can be used between fights to level up your characters (which is an easy way to rig good levels, btw) and is a big part of why every unit in PoR is fine to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the best units are the ones handed to you near the start. And the only ones that aren't immediately worth investing in are the few that leave your party to be re-recruited later. I won't spoil who. Those four units you mention are all high priority. Titania is great for body blocking, especially since in FE9, you can just unequip her weapon if you're really not cool with her taking kill exp. Don't be shy about using her to get kills though since there's plenty of experience to go around, even on Hard. My advice on who to use is pretty standard. All the mounted units are great. The non-promoted mages have very meh stats, but sticking with them will reward you with more staff users. The thief can steal a ton of physic staves in the late game, which your healers appreciate, but you don't necessarily have to feed him kills unless you want to slightly expand which weapons he can nab from other enemies. I really only care about the items and staves you can steal, in this game.

One final note that I don't see people ever mention. The game alternates between 11 and 13 deployment slots for most of the chapters. There are only two points in the game where you have more than 13 units deployed (and neither of them are the final chapter), so that's the hard maximum you should keep in the back of your mind when picking out who to use. Most of who you get in the latter half of the game are also very good pre-promotes that fit in to any team, so maybe keep your roster size at a maximum of 11 before chapter 18 just so there's more space for some shiny pre-promotes.

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hasechi Meguhami said:

Nice poem

From horseback do fight
Throw Hand Axes and Javelins
Still Ike perseveres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the easier FE titles where you can use anyone you want without facing a lot of consequences.

If you want to play “optimally” or use really OP units, go for any Cav and any flier. 
Other weapon type units are fine, but don’t bank of getting an OP Nephenee for instance if you dump bonus EXP, as opposed to someone like Marcia or Jill who have high move utility even if they are stat screwed.

Aside from maybe Sothe, people only really stay away from building sword units and archers in this game. Like Shinon and Mia for instance. I never used Zihark or Stefan either, though they may not be as bad. Keep in mind cavs are OP in this game despite the weapon types, so using someone like Astrid is usually considered worth it. Non-royal Laguz are also considered not worth it.

 

Once again, who you choose to use and who you choose not to use in this game won’t fuck you over in any way. I don’t think you’ll have a hard time either, unless you choose not to use bonus EXP or star boosters or skills or supports. Picking to use a unit like Rolf or Mia isn’t gonna make the game much harder for you, so really, go with whoever you want.

The only unit you’ll be fucked by if you choose not to use them is Ike. Seriously use Ike, even though he’s a foot locked sword unit. He’s deployed every chapter, so you have no excuse not to unless you go out of your way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ping said:

Horses and flyers good
Swords and bows bad
Do train Ike tho

I'm not even kidding - but I am giving a bit of a half-truth with that. The thing is that all your units are quite strong compared to the enemy, which means that 1-2 range and high mobility are the main factors to differentiate which units are considered to be the best in PoR. However, this also means that you literally can't screw yourself over by going for the wrong characters, so even when you're being told that Mia and Rolf are awful in this game (and they are) - don't let that dissuade you if you like their mug and/or character.

A few specifics that I can think of:

  • I'm serious about Ike. For one, his growths are actually very, very good and despite his swordlock, he's legit good once he promotes. But you also want him to be at a high, if no maxed, level for the endgame because {spoiler} and {spoiler}
  • Once he becomes fast enough to double, Boyd probably has the best combat in the game - which makes him really good and fun to use despite his lack of a horse.
  • Cavaliers can freely pick a second weapon type when they promote. The best pick is always axes (although you can pick bows with Oscar for funsies - he can unlock a bow triangle attack with his bros if you do that. Category "cool, but impractical"). It also means that the Sword Cav that you'll recruit later is still quite decent and the Bow Cav (who has an ability that doubles her XP gain) is even better.
  • Between the healers, the second one is a bit more recommended, all things considered. While her combat will still suuuuck after promotion, she gets a horse and is very useful when {spoiler}. (You can also grind her sword rank until she can use the - unfortunately limited - magic swords. Cool but impractical, as well)
  • Mages are all decent. Frail, so you'll have to be careful where to expose them to combat, but the 1-2 range is neat and there's a couple siege tomes that you can get. One point of advise: The true legendary tome is the forged Thunder tome.

One final thing - there is some merit to finish chapters quickly in this game. You get "bonus experience" for beating a chapter, and going over a map-specific turn limit will slowly reduce the amount you get. That BEXP can be used between fights to level up your characters (which is an easy way to rig good levels, btw) and is a big part of why every unit in PoR is fine to use.

Eh well, bows are bad in every FE not named Three Houses, so no surprise  there. xD I'm on Chapter 5 now and what you are saying totally plays out into reality. In essence, Titania pretty much breaks the game for me and doesn't really give anybody else a chance. Hand axe is kind of inaccurate but it's good for what it does, without her I don't know how I would've beat Ch. 4. She's like Seth but on anabolic steroids. 

I've been trying to get Ike as many levels as I can (as well as boyd, I've debated about giving him the speedwing I got) but like I said, there really isn't any opportunity to give them EXP since Titania hogs it all, and I feel like if I don't use her these chapters would've been impossible, so it's a catch-22. 

I actually had no idea you could pick a second weapon type of your choice when you promote cavs in this game, that's an awesome feature that should return! If that's the case then practically all cavs you recruit earn a spot, right? Eh, I like fun and impracticality (FE is at it's greatest for me when i can make it as impractical and inefficient as possible!) but bows are, just... ew. I don't mind swords, since at least some enemies with no ranged weapons you can counter, with bows there is zero of that. Bows are only really good in fe6 and 16 and I don't really see the point in picking those over axes or lances, or even swords! 

Mages would be, Soren and Ilyana, that's all, right? 

I REALLY wanted to use Mia but if she really is that bad than perhaps I'll give up on that idea. Is there any redeemable quality she has to her? I don't really care about Rolf either way.

Other than that I will take all this advice into my merit! Thanks again, Ping!

 

19 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Some of the best units are the ones handed to you near the start. And the only ones that aren't immediately worth investing in are the few that leave your party to be re-recruited later. I won't spoil who. Those four units you mention are all high priority. Titania is great for body blocking, especially since in FE9, you can just unequip her weapon if you're really not cool with her taking kill exp. Don't be shy about using her to get kills though since there's plenty of experience to go around, even on Hard. My advice on who to use is pretty standard. All the mounted units are great. The non-promoted mages have very meh stats, but sticking with them will reward you with more staff users. The thief can steal a ton of physic staves in the late game, which your healers appreciate, but you don't necessarily have to feed him kills unless you want to slightly expand which weapons he can nab from other enemies. I really only care about the items and staves you can steal, in this game.

One final note that I don't see people ever mention. The game alternates between 11 and 13 deployment slots for most of the chapters. There are only two points in the game where you have more than 13 units deployed (and neither of them are the final chapter), so that's the hard maximum you should keep in the back of your mind when picking out who to use. Most of who you get in the latter half of the game are also very good pre-promotes that fit in to any team, so maybe keep your roster size at a maximum of 11 before chapter 18 just so there's more space for some shiny pre-promotes.

I think I know who you are talking about and regardless whatever those units have, they are in bad classes so I will bench them anyways. 

Good to know since my Titania is getting EXP like crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

Mages would be, Soren and Ilyana, that's all, right? 

There are a few more later on as well, and some prepromote sages, so if Ilyoren don't suit your fancy/get stat screwed, you have options!

1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

(FE is at it's greatest for me when i can make it as impractical and inefficient as possible!)

I'm actually the same way, but I feel that with Path of Radiance, using weaker units doesn't really make the game harder, just slower. You should play however you want to, but a word of caution.

1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

I REALLY wanted to use Mia but if she really is that bad than perhaps I'll give up on that idea. Is there any redeemable quality she has to her?

Well, she can technically use the magic and whatnot, plus she can be reliable with skills like Adept. Re: The magic sword, because of Vantage and the weapon in question's effective damage against fliers, she can pack a punch without needing to risk getting hit. That said, Mia has a magic base of 0, and despite the okay growth in the stat, double effectiveness makes the 1-2 sword not too great. If you wanna go full ham on the game though, you could dump her full of magic boosters.

That is highly inadvisable, as there's only one such 1-2 sword in the game, but she can still do that. If you wanna cripple* Ike, she can also gobble the Wrath/Resolve scrolls so that she can nab Wrath/Resolve/Vantage.

*He'll still be okay, but not fantastic.

1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

If that's the case then practically all cavs you recruit earn a spot, right?

More-or-less. There are two who are somewhat iffy, but both can make strong arguments for themselves as units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

I've been trying to get Ike as many levels as I can (as well as boyd, I've debated about giving him the speedwing I got) but like I said, there really isn't any opportunity to give them EXP since Titania hogs it all, and I feel like if I don't use her these chapters would've been impossible, so it's a catch-22. 

That's where bonus XP is your friend, to get units that aren't Titania up to speed. The feature is unlocked before the start of chapter 8 and it's quite the equalizer (although Titania still stays your best combat unit for a while). Don't worry about overusing Titania so far - there's still plenty opportunity to collect XP with your other units,  both in combat and through bonus XP.

2 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Mages would be, Soren and Ilyana, that's all, right? 

Apart from those two, you also get Tormod (+2 movement, but joins late-ish and underleveled), Calill (prepromoted sage that can't use staves, but can use all siege tomes at base), and Bastian (another prepromoted sage. He is kinda bleh, though).

2 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

I REALLY wanted to use Mia but if she really is that bad than perhaps I'll give up on that idea. Is there any redeemable quality she has to her? I don't really care about Rolf either way.

I tend to invest a little into her right away because when she joins, you're still kinda short on hands. If I recall, rigging a Str/Spd level-up for her (which is fairly easy with bonus XP) allows her to double armour knights with the (very heavy) Armourslayer and the added damage output is worth something..? And the map after that, I tend to split up my troops and unfortunately, Titania can't be everywhere, so Mia is kinda useful there, too.

And after that, I often keep fielding her because hey, I invested into her so I gotta get my returns, right? It's far away from "optimal" though. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Mages would be, Soren and Ilyana, that's all, right? 

There's also Tormod, but he joins underleveled, as well as Calill and Bastian (the latter two join as pre-promoted sages).

1 hour ago, Benice said:

That is highly inadvisable, as there's only one such 1-2 sword in the game, but she can still do that. If you wanna cripple* Ike, she can also gobble the Wrath/Resolve scrolls so that she can nab Wrath/Resolve/Vantage.

You can't do that, as all three are 10 capacity skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Benice said:

There are a few more later on as well, and some prepromote sages, so if Ilyoren don't suit your fancy/get stat screwed, you have options!

I'm actually the same way, but I feel that with Path of Radiance, using weaker units doesn't really make the game harder, just slower. You should play however you want to, but a word of caution.

Well, she can technically use the magic and whatnot, plus she can be reliable with skills like Adept. Re: The magic sword, because of Vantage and the weapon in question's effective damage against fliers, she can pack a punch without needing to risk getting hit. That said, Mia has a magic base of 0, and despite the okay growth in the stat, double effectiveness makes the 1-2 sword not too great. If you wanna go full ham on the game though, you could dump her full of magic boosters.

That is highly inadvisable, as there's only one such 1-2 sword in the game, but she can still do that. If you wanna cripple* Ike, she can also gobble the Wrath/Resolve scrolls so that she can nab Wrath/Resolve/Vantage.

*He'll still be okay, but not fantastic.

More-or-less. There are two who are somewhat iffy, but both can make strong arguments for themselves as units.

Well my Soren is incredibly weak at Lvl 4 and only 6 magic. He hasn't gotten a magic level up since I got him, so I don't know if I should stick with him or banish him to the bench. The prepromoted sages are sounding good right about now. Hopefully Ilyana turns out better. I doubt it honestly, since no matter the FE I play I ALWAYS tend to get stat screwed on units. Never fails XD.

FE9 for me as of now, while I'm enjoying it a bunch, seems a lot slower in general compared to the GBA or 3DS FE'S for instance. It's also a lot darker, literally, like the whole game is dimly-lit. It was their first time with 3D though, so I'll give 'em a pass. 

Actually on to the former topic again, pretty much all my units minus Titania and Ike suck really bad. Boyd is good sometimes but he's so inconsistent, Oscar was very bad when I first got him but he's getting around now a bit (He had a level up with NO STAT gains. DX) Soren is just terrible and has no redeeming qualities, and Rhys can't seem stay between healing people or hiding away from enemy fire. I just got Mia on my last chapter and while she can't do too much damage, at least she's consistent with what she does and you can expect what you expect out of her. But the magic thing for her just seems, eh, way too impractical. I'd rather use all those magic boosters on Ilyana or Soren since he is in desperate need of one or two. Crippling my best character to make a decent character would be a death sentence for me right now, haha. 

I'm not sure who those cavs are, but Oscar is kind of iffy rn, so there's that.

22 hours ago, ping said:

That's where bonus XP is your friend, to get units that aren't Titania up to speed. The feature is unlocked before the start of chapter 8 and it's quite the equalizer (although Titania still stays your best combat unit for a while). Don't worry about overusing Titania so far - there's still plenty opportunity to collect XP with your other units,  both in combat and through bonus XP.

Apart from those two, you also get Tormod (+2 movement, but joins late-ish and underleveled), Calill (prepromoted sage that can't use staves, but can use all siege tomes at base), and Bastian (another prepromoted sage. He is kinda bleh, though).

I tend to invest a little into her right away because when she joins, you're still kinda short on hands. If I recall, rigging a Str/Spd level-up for her (which is fairly easy with bonus XP) allows her to double armour knights with the (very heavy) Armourslayer and the added damage output is worth something..? And the map after that, I tend to split up my troops and unfortunately, Titania can't be everywhere, so Mia is kinda useful there, too.

And after that, I often keep fielding her because hey, I invested into her so I gotta get my returns, right? It's far away from "optimal" though. :lol: 

I just got the Base and unlocked the Bonus exp feature but can someone explain to me how this works? From what I could gather, you get 100 points which is 100 exp and you can dump it into a character and raise their level by one. I didn't try it yet, since I don't want to waste it on a bad decision. I currently have 1300 BEXP, so what's the best candidate for all of it? I also got a Miracle scroll from a chest on a fortress map but that skill kinda sucks so I'm not sure if I'll use it, tbh. That's another thing, how do I rig levels with this? Is there some kind of technique to it or is it a cheat? I'm interested in that since I'm tired of getting stat screwed, and I'll even cheat a bit to fix it. XD

A sage without staves? What is this madness? Haha, but in all seriousness what does she use? I know you can choose cavs second weapon upon promotion but I didn't know you could for other classes?? 

She sounds interesting with all these ways you can use her, maybe some of them aren't practical at all or not worth it, but I think I'm willing to give something a try with her IF I don't get a better unit (Like a cav or magic user).

 

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

A sage without staves? What is this madness? Haha, but in all seriousness what does she use? I know you can choose cavs second weapon upon promotion but I didn't know you could for other classes?? 

Knives. Which suck really bad in this game, mind.

27 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Boyd is good sometimes but he's so inconsistent

I would remove Tempest from him, because the doubled biorhythm effects will suck really bad when he gets low.

29 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

I'm not sure who those cavs are, but Oscar is kind of iffy rn, so there's that.

There's a very good chance that the cavs in question are Astrid and Makalov. You'll want to shove Ike to get the former on turn 1, however, and only Marcia can recruit the latter (you DID talk to her during chapter 3, right...?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Well my Soren is incredibly weak at Lvl 4 and only 6 magic. He hasn't gotten a magic level up since I got him, so I don't know if I should stick with him or banish him to the bench. The prepromoted sages are sounding good right about now. Hopefully Ilyana turns out better. I doubt it honestly, since no matter the FE I play I ALWAYS tend to get stat screwed on units. Never fails XD.

That's a bit unlucky :lol: He has a 60% Magic growth, but yours hasn't gotten a Mag level-up yet.

Soren being very weak in the earlygame is normal, though. Part of the problem is that Wind tomes are incredibly weak, so this becomes better if you give him a Fire or Thunder tome. You don't have to be too concerned about raising the "wrong" tome rank, either - the only relevant rank in any of the three Anima disciplines is C, which allows you to use the long-range tomes (of which you get one of each type, iirc, so it's not even something they can spam). But the best tome you can get is a Thunder forge with +5 Might forged unto it - it's as powerful as the A rank Fire tome, stronger than the A rank Wind tome, and only one point weaker than the A rank Thunder tome.

15 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

A sage without staves? What is this madness? Haha, but in all seriousness what does she use? I know you can choose cavs second weapon upon promotion but I didn't know you could for other classes?? 

Sages can choose between staves and knives. Staves is always the correct option, of course, but the two prepromoted Sages both come with knives. Calill even tries to present this as a perk when you recruit her :lol:

17 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

I just got the Base and unlocked the Bonus exp feature but can someone explain to me how this works? From what I could gather, you get 100 points which is 100 exp and you can dump it into a character and raise their level by one. I didn't try it yet, since I don't want to waste it on a bad decision. I currently have 1300 BEXP, so what's the best candidate for all of it? I also got a Miracle scroll from a chest on a fortress map but that skill kinda sucks so I'm not sure if I'll use it, tbh. That's another thing, how do I rig levels with this? Is there some kind of technique to it or is it a cheat? I'm interested in that since I'm tired of getting stat screwed, and I'll even cheat a bit to fix it. XD

The exchange rate for BEXP -> XP isn't static. It starts at 85 BEXP per level for a Lv.1 unit, reaches 100/level at Lv.8, and goes up to 400/level for Lv.18 promoted. The main site has a bunch of tables, also showing the turn limits to get max BEXP out of a chapter.

bexp.png.b2837d529f69cf71100c854666bb1e17.png

Which means that it is best used on characters that need some catchin' up - Soren is a popular choice, actually; Marcia (who will join shortly) another. If your Oscar is still underleveled, he's a good candidate, too - because of the old "Horses good" thing, but also because his support with Ike can raise both of their avoid stats to Intangible levels if maxed out, and it's reasonably fast, too.

(Supports grow just by deploying both units in a chapter, so no "stand next to each other and press end turn 100 times" like in the GBA games)

BEXP can be used to rig level-ups because you can just save the game, do the level-up, and reset if you don't like it. It's still nothing I'd recommend doing extensively - it's still a bit of a slog - but it can be used to avoid those nasty zero-stat level ups. ;): I tend to try to get units as close to a level-up at the end of the map as possible, so that I can rig the next level-up with as little BEXP investment as possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 11:50 PM, sinfonic18 said:

Eh well, bows are bad in every FE not named Three Houses, so no surprise  there. xD

I would contest that, as they're actually good in Fates (which also nerfed throwing weapons by making them unable to double), Binding Blade (throwing weapons are really inaccurate), as well as the DS games, which nerfed the evade formula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 12:50 AM, sinfonic18 said:

I REALLY wanted to use Mia but if she really is that bad than perhaps I'll give up on that idea. Is there any redeemable quality she has to her? I don't really care about Rolf either way.

I really favored her on my PoR run by giving her energy drops, robes and even boots, but unfortunately Mia just doesn't get to where she needs to be. She performs well in a couple chapters after she joins, but falls off in the endgame. Her bulk and damage aren't high enough. Part of the problem is also that as you play you get other sword users that are just better stat wise than her and the only reason I kept using her was because I was committed at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 2:51 AM, Shadow Mir said:

Knives. Which suck really bad in this game, mind.

I would remove Tempest from him, because the doubled biorhythm effects will suck really bad when he gets low.

There's a very good chance that the cavs in question are Astrid and Makalov. You'll want to shove Ike to get the former on turn 1, however, and only Marcia can recruit the latter (you DID talk to her during chapter 3, right...?).

Apologies to all you for such the late reply. My internet was down all yesterday and I only played the game for a bit because I couldn't look at a pre-chapter walkthrough. xD 

Anyways, I didn't even knows Knives existed. Just by reading the name you know they suck lol. 

How do I remove skills from units? Do you have to replace it with a skill scroll or can you just remove it altogether? 

Yup I got Marcia because it was pretty easy to get Ike up to where she was at due to Titania clearing the field. I don't really care much for her character at all, but I'm still using her because I like fliers. 

On 1/11/2021 at 2:52 AM, ping said:

That's a bit unlucky :lol: He has a 60% Magic growth, but yours hasn't gotten a Mag level-up yet.

Soren being very weak in the earlygame is normal, though. Part of the problem is that Wind tomes are incredibly weak, so this becomes better if you give him a Fire or Thunder tome. You don't have to be too concerned about raising the "wrong" tome rank, either - the only relevant rank in any of the three Anima disciplines is C, which allows you to use the long-range tomes (of which you get one of each type, iirc, so it's not even something they can spam). But the best tome you can get is a Thunder forge with +5 Might forged unto it - it's as powerful as the A rank Fire tome, stronger than the A rank Wind tome, and only one point weaker than the A rank Thunder tome.

Sages can choose between staves and knives. Staves is always the correct option, of course, but the two prepromoted Sages both come with knives. Calill even tries to present this as a perk when you recruit her :lol:

The exchange rate for BEXP -> XP isn't static. It starts at 85 BEXP per level for a Lv.1 unit, reaches 100/level at Lv.8, and goes up to 400/level for Lv.18 promoted. The main site has a bunch of tables, also showing the turn limits to get max BEXP out of a chapter.

bexp.png.b2837d529f69cf71100c854666bb1e17.png

Which means that it is best used on characters that need some catchin' up - Soren is a popular choice, actually; Marcia (who will join shortly) another. If your Oscar is still underleveled, he's a good candidate, too - because of the old "Horses good" thing, but also because his support with Ike can raise both of their avoid stats to Intangible levels if maxed out, and it's reasonably fast, too.

(Supports grow just by deploying both units in a chapter, so no "stand next to each other and press end turn 100 times" like in the GBA games)

BEXP can be used to rig level-ups because you can just save the game, do the level-up, and reset if you don't like it. It's still nothing I'd recommend doing extensively - it's still a bit of a slog - but it can be used to avoid those nasty zero-stat level ups. ;): I tend to try to get units as close to a level-up at the end of the map as possible, so that I can rig the next level-up with as little BEXP investment as possible.

 

Yup, I'm used to bad growths, haha. I spent all day yesterday making sure he got magic in his level ups with Bonus EXP and now he's a pretty powerful beast. Now my Ilyana is the one who is screwed because her defensive stats are through the roof while her offense is mediocre at best. Dx I've gotten to the point where I can forge weapons, but I tried forging a Thunder tome with the best stats and it's just way too expensive. So I just gave him regular Thunder tomes to hopefully boost his damage even more now.

That kind of sucks that it goes up throughout levels as I'm totally out of Bonus exp now and don't seem to be getting a lot more anytime soon (I got only 100 points from Chapter 9 since it took me like, 20 turns to finish) to where I don't have enough to give Marcia some. Is there Arena's in this game you can grind on?

 

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would contest that, as they're actually good in Fates (which also nerfed throwing weapons by making them unable to double), Binding Blade (throwing weapons are really inaccurate), as well as the DS games, which nerfed the evade formula.

That's true... I forgot about Binding Blade and how I used them probably more than I did any other weapon not swords. 

Now that you mention it, I've never once used a Javelin, Hand Axe or so in my many playthroughs of Fates:Conquest. I don't remember many enemies using them either, but I haven't played Fates in like, 2 years. 

4 hours ago, Marienburg said:

I really favored her on my PoR run by giving her energy drops, robes and even boots, but unfortunately Mia just doesn't get to where she needs to be. She performs well in a couple chapters after she joins, but falls off in the endgame. Her bulk and damage aren't high enough. Part of the problem is also that as you play you get other sword users that are just better stat wise than her and the only reason I kept using her was because I was committed at that point.

I can agree with this from personal experience. Mia is actually my best unit right now, she is consistent in doubling and does somewhat solid damage, but I feel like she will fall off eventually since I'm only on chapter 10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

How do I remove skills from units? Do you have to replace it with a skill scroll or can you just remove it altogether? 

Go to skills (iirc), then you have a choice as to whether to assign or remove a skill. Once a skill is removed, it's gone for good, so be careful with it.

4 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Is there Arena's in this game you can grind on?

No.

6 hours ago, Marienburg said:

I really favored her on my PoR run by giving her energy drops, robes and even boots, but unfortunately Mia just doesn't get to where she needs to be. She performs well in a couple chapters after she joins, but falls off in the endgame. Her bulk and damage aren't high enough. Part of the problem is also that as you play you get other sword users that are just better stat wise than her and the only reason I kept using her was because I was committed at that point.

I find it hard to justify using Mia because by the time she's relevant, Ike has probably gotten going, and Zihark comes a few chapters later, except he can actually damage and kill things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I find it hard to justify using Mia because by the time she's relevant, Ike has probably gotten going, and Zihark comes a few chapters later, except he can actually damage and kill things.

While I'm no fan of Mia in this game, it's not like Zihark is significantly better at dealing damage. He joins 4 chapters later with 3 more strength (i.e. the gap will probably ~1 by the time he joins if you've gotten Mia a level per fight, and non-existent if her Rhys support is being built). Now, a certain other member of their class who joins 4 chapters after Zihark with 9 more strength, that's probably a bigger concern for the viability of both (along with the general mediocrity of swords in this game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

While I'm no fan of Mia in this game, it's not like Zihark is significantly better at dealing damage. He joins 4 chapters later with 3 more strength (i.e. the gap will probably ~1 by the time he joins if you've gotten Mia a level per fight, and non-existent if her Rhys support is being built). Now, a certain other member of their class who joins 4 chapters after Zihark with 9 more strength, that's probably a bigger concern for the viability of both (along with the general mediocrity of swords in this game).

Maybe not, but Mia's start is pretty awful. Fair point on Stefan, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...