What franchises do you want to get the Netflix anime treatment?

Fabulously Olivier

That right balance is hard to hit. And frankly, I would rather they play it safe and deliver on one of the franchise's best stories, THEN take a risk on fleshing out a SD adaptation, rather than gamble it all on an SD adaptation, then cancel the whole thing. Starting strong allows the series to succeed and expand into riskier territory. Taking a risk and failing ensures you never get the better story, and may not even get renewed for long enough to finish that first one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

So, you want to adapt a game where a lot of the story is already written and known, thereby repeating what the game already did, versus one where you have the freedom to expand on the characters and plot considerably?

1. It's an adaptation, so... yes; I want the story to be directly translated from one medium (video game) to another (anime) in such a way that best utilizes the new medium while carrying over everything important about the original; that's how adaptations are able to be creative. No one would say that the Lord of the Rings films weren't an achievement even though they were a direct adaptation to film.

2. It would be the first (technically second because of that old anime, but that got cancelled after two episodes, so that doesn't really count) time an FE game got adapted to an anime, so I would want them to do a more "safe" adaptation the first time around and then go for something like the story of Marth afterwards.

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Okay then, strive for scenario 3. Since the game is oh-so-barebones, turning it into something more fleshed out and compelling as happened with Shadows of Valentia shouldn't be that hard.

Shadows of Valentia itself proves you wrong on that front, given how haphazard a job they did fleshing it out. Seriously; Shadows of Valentia is something I would point to as a bad example of how to flesh out an originally-barebones narrative; there's misplaced effort put into characters and subplots that ultimately come across as filler, lack of flesh in areas that needed flesh, too much flesh in other areas, and other problems.

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

3) The source material is altered and the changes are generally well received (ala Shadows of Valentia). This is the only positive outcome of adapting bad source material.

To this day, I do not understand how the changes made in Shadows of Valentia were generally considered well-received; I honestly doubt that people would look at it nearly as fairly as they did if it hadn't been for the voice-acting. I say this as someone who wanted to like Shadows of Valentia; I'd been looking forward to playing Shadows of Valentia since, as a North American who doesn't emulate games, I would never get a chance to try the original.

Anyway, I just thought of another video game series that I think would be good for getting the "Netflix anime" treatment: Metroid. It's relatively fresh in people's minds thanks to Metroid Dread making the series more popular than ever before, and I think the idea could work.

I'm thinking it could be an action-horror series with a relatively small number of episodes. It would start in medias res with Samus accepting a job to investigate a planet or responding to a distress signal. Then aspects of Samus' backstory, such as being found and adopted by the Chozo, would be shown through flashbacks when she stumbles upon ruins. It could be an adaptation of Metroid 1/Zero Mission or it could be a brand new story within the continuity.

Edited by vanguard333

On 1/16/2022 at 5:27 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd love a Kid Icarus Netflix show. Either adapting Uprising or adorable slice of life stuff like Palutena's revolting dinner. 

Why would it have to be one or the other? Adorable slice-of-life stuff like Palutena's revolting dinner could easily be fun bonus episodes for something that overall is an adaptation of Uprising.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:19 PM, vanguard333 said:

Shadows of Valentia itself proves you wrong on that front, given how haphazard a job they did fleshing it out. Seriously; Shadows of Valentia is something I would point to as a bad example of how to flesh out an originally-barebones narrative; there's misplaced effort put into characters and subplots that ultimately come across as filler, lack of flesh in areas that needed flesh, too much flesh in other areas, and other problems.

Proves me wrong...based on your subjective opinion? At any rate, I only used SoV as an example because Fabulously Olivier used it as an example of scenario 3 - I'm not that familiar with the game myself outside of the basic plot involving the gods, Alm, and Celica. So, if it proved anyone wrong here, it'd be Fabulously Olivier. If that's the case, my mistake was assuming his example was correct.

I understand the point about going for the "proven" story first, but my concern is that it'd be viewed as inferior to the game itself as you get just as much story from the game. Kinda like what happened with the Ratchet & Clank movie. The one exception being maybe non-gamers who might find the story nonetheless interesting. But the majority of fans who'll be drawn to a Fire Emblem animated series have probably played one or two games before.

Meanwhile, a properly fleshed out adaptation of a game with barely any plot can breath new life into it, much like SatAM did for Sonic back when his games' plots amounted to "Evil mustache man is making robots to conquer the world and speedy blue hedgehog wants to stop him." (Not that his modern games' stories are anything to write home about, but they are goldmines of YouTube video material.)

As a compromise, Awakening could be a good choice due to both having more plot than FE1 yet also having room for expansion in an animated series since all the support convos are still images with text. An animated series would be the perfect place to bring those skits to life, assuming they wouldn't do so with a Switch remake. Not to mention, Awakening is arguably the second-most important entry in the franchise after the original game due to saving the series from permanent discontinuation. If not for Awakening, there wouldn't be a Three Houses. And alluding to Marth's time could generate interest in a prequel series or miniseries focusing on that era.

Really, why not just adapt the entire franchise? Then you have different Sagas of Fire Emblem, like the Shadow Dragon Saga, the Awakening Saga, and the Three Houses Saga.

For another IP, I'd like to see Mario finally get a TV series again. I think a slice of life format would work well there, though they could bookend each season with two- or even three-part stories that capture more of the mainline games' adventure feel.

Like, Season 1 starts with an adaptation of SMB1, the original kidnapping of Princess Peach which the Mario Bros. resolve within two episodes (covering SMB1 and SMB2TLL). Then the rest of the season has them enjoy their new status as heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom, during which time they contend with the likes of Wart, Tatanga, and Wario, until Bowser makes his big return for the Season 1 finale, adapting SMB3. The last episode of Season 1 shows off a polka-dotted egg on an island, alluding to Super Mario World.

Season 2 appropriately starts with an adaptation of SMW, which adds Yoshi to the cast. The rest of Season 2 takes some twists and turns like tying in with Donkey Kong Country, covering a Mario Kart mini-arc, adapting SMRPG and Super Mario 64, and ending with an adaptation of Luigi's Mansion.

Season 3 kicks off with a Super Mario Sunshine adaptation, includes another Kart arc (based on Double-Dash in particular), and ends with a Super Mario Galaxy adaptation that comes with a twist ending: Mario must make his way back home!

Season 4 starts where Season 3 ended, with Mario on a journey back home in an adaptation of Galaxy 2. The next several episodes cover what the rest of the cast were up to during Mario's return trip, like Luigi's trip to Evershade Valley, Peach's own rescue mission involving the Sprixies, Captain Toad tracking treasure, and Donkey Kong contending with the Tiki Tak Tribe and Snowmads (assuming that's not covered in a DKC spinoff series). Eventually, Mario returns much to everyone's delight, just in time for the Season 4 finale adaptation of Super Mario Odyssey.

That about catches up with Mario and the gang so far, so where the show would go from there is anybody's guess. But I think what I described would make for a serviceable and even enjoyable series that adapts a multitude of games. The only parts missing are adaptations of the Arcade games, but that itself could be handled in a film to which the series could be a follow up.

41 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Proves me wrong...based on your subjective opinion? At any rate, I only used SoV as an example because Fabulously Olivier used it as an example of scenario 3 - I'm not that familiar with the game myself outside of the basic plot involving the gods, Alm, and Celica. So, if it proved anyone wrong here, it'd be Fabulously Olivier. If that's the case, my mistake was assuming his example was correct.

I meant more "proves you wrong in my opinion" than "proves you wrong based on my opinion" if that makes sense; you're right that I shouldn't have declared it as an absolute when it was really more me stating my opinion.

I see. Never mind then.

43 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I understand the point about going for the "proven" story first, but my concern is that it'd be viewed as inferior to the game itself as you get just as much story from the game. Kinda like what happened with the Ratchet & Clank movie. The one exception being maybe non-gamers who might find the story nonetheless interesting. But the majority of fans who'll be drawn to a Fire Emblem animated series have probably played one or two games before.

I haven't seen Ratchet & Clank, nor do I play the play the games, so I'll have to take your word on that. In the case of Path of Radiance, I think where an adaptation would shine would be in its presentation; you're not just retelling the same story, but translating it to a new format in a way that best utilizes the new format. People don't criticize anime just because they can get just as much story from the corresponding manga, and I think such a difference would be even more apparent for something like Path of Radiance: going from a game (an interactive medium) to an anime (a non-interactive medium).

For instance, most of the dialogue in Path of Radiance is done by still images of the characters talking with text boxes, and the action is of course guided by the player. An anime would provide for dialogue scenes to be properly visualized in terms of character actions and all that as well as enable for action scenes to have all the dynamic visuals and storytelling needed; basically, an anime would be able to show what the game couldn't by its nature as a different medium. Does that make sense?

51 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

As a compromise, Awakening could be a good choice due to both having more plot than FE1 yet also having room for expansion in an animated series since all the support convos are still images with text. An animated series would be the perfect place to bring those skits to life, assuming they wouldn't do so with a Switch remake. Not to mention, Awakening is arguably the second-most important entry in the franchise after the original game due to saving the series from permanent discontinuation. If not for Awakening, there wouldn't be a Three Houses. And alluding to Marth's time could generate interest in a prequel series or miniseries focusing on that era.

Funny; I hadn't gotten to this paragraph yet when I mentioned still images in my previous paragraph. I'll just reiterate that Path of Radiance has that same room for expansion; more room actually, since it has base conversations in addition to support conversations.

I see what you mean about Awakening's importance. My one problem with it would be that story was not Awakening's strongest point; at least in my opinion. It is fairly generic, and that was fine for what Awakening was supposed to be: the game was made to essentially be a "Fire Emblem Greatest Hits" in case it ended up being the last game in the series, so they played it safe and wrote the story with the goal of incorporating as much as they could from the past games. But it does mean that it is rather bland when expected to stand on its own.

56 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Really, why not just adapt the entire franchise? Then you have different Sagas of Fire Emblem, like the Shadow Dragon Saga, the Awakening Saga, and the Three Houses Saga.

Honestly, I'd love to see them adapt multiple FE games. I'm just saying that I think Path of Radiance should be the one that they start with. You could have The Tellius Saga, the Classic/Shadow Dragon Saga, The Elibe Saga, etc.

58 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

For another IP, I'd like to see Mario finally get a TV series again. I think a slice of life format would work well there, though they could bookend each season with two- or even three-part stories that capture more of the mainline games' adventure feel.

I'm reading through the whole thing, but just quoting this to save space. A Mario TV series could be interesting, though given that they're making a Mario movie, a show would have to be made with the movie in mind, even if it isn't connected to the movie.

By the way, out of curiosity, what did you think of my suggestion that a Metroid anime should be made?

On 1/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I'd love a Kid Icarus Netflix show. Either adapting Uprising or adorable slice of life stuff like Palutena's revolting dinner. 

That would be great, so long as they can get the major voice talent from the game to come back! I need my daily fill of Hynden Walch as Viridi.

Anyway, how about Animal Crossing as a "slice-of-life/sitcom" anime? You don't even need the human Villager, just make it Isabelle, the Nook family, and a bunch of other animals. Raymond gets two dinner invitations, and has to swap between one place and the other. Blathers contacts a lawyer after Redd keeps selling him fake artwork. Paula tries to keep a garden, but thoughtless neighbors, bad weather, and pests ensue. Could be all-ages kind of fun, albeit hopefully with enough comedic edge to keep things interesting. If we want a bigger arc, perhaps a parable on how climate change is threatening the island, or a proletarian revolution that displaces Tom Nook from his throne?

They did an Animal Crossing film, so why not.

But you know one series I'm surprised hasn't come up yet? Splatoon. Think about it: a CGI series starring the Squid Kids, happily turf battling away until one day the Great Zapfish vanishes, prompting them to investigate and discover the presence of Octarians. Under the guidance of Captain Cuttlefish, the Squid Kids go undercover as Agents of Unit 3 to get the Great Zapfish back. And then the Octolings appear...

• 4 weeks later...

For Honor: a Netflix anime about endless war between knights, vikings and samurai, with the animation team working closely with Ubisoft.

Just kidding; perhaps the last thing I want to see get the "Netflix anime" treatment is a Ubisoft game.

For an actual suggestion, perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles? I've often said that I like the world, story and characters of the Xenoblade games, but I find the gameplay very dull. An anime would be a way to experience the story without having to experience the gameplay.

Edited by vanguard333

I'd love to see a Mega Man X anime. The MMX series already pushed heavily in a shonen direction, so all the anime has to do is adjust the story's content to fill a few seasons' worth of episodes. My remake series might be able to help with that of course, as I expand the plot of each game to cover three Acts (along with bonus missions that allow us to play from other characters' perspectives and DLC ministories). I also add lots of new characters and flesh out the existing ones, perfect for filling out an animated series.

So, I guess I'm saying I'd love to see my remake series get an animated adaptation. Assuming I can ever get the darn thing made.

16 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'd love to see a Mega Man X anime. The MMX series already pushed heavily in a shonen direction, so all the anime has to do is adjust the story's content to fill a few seasons' worth of episodes. My remake series might be able to help with that of course, as I expand the plot of each game to cover three Acts (along with bonus missions that allow us to play from other characters' perspectives and DLC ministories). I also add lots of new characters and flesh out the existing ones, perfect for filling out an animated series.

So, I guess I'm saying I'd love to see my remake series get an animated adaptation. Assuming I can ever get the darn thing made.

Interesting.

I've been avoiding suggesting anything Mega Man (or Capcom really) simply because a lot of them already have anime adaptations. I remember the Mega Man NT Warrior anime, and now there's a Monster Hunter animated film on Netflix (I haven't seen it, but it has to at least be better than the live-action film that reflexively insists on being called "Monster Hunter"). Did Mega Man X get an anime?

57 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Interesting.

I've been avoiding suggesting anything Mega Man (or Capcom really) simply because a lot of them already have anime adaptations. I remember the Mega Man NT Warrior anime, and now there's a Monster Hunter animated film on Netflix (I haven't seen it, but it has to at least be better than the live-action film that reflexively insists on being called "Monster Hunter"). Did Mega Man X get an anime?

Nope. Closest you get to anything remotely resembling an animated series is the Day of Sigma OVA originally included with Maverick Hunter X (and later included on both parts of the Legacy Collection), followed by one episode of the Mega Man Ruby Spears cartoon ("Mega X"), the animated intro to X3, and finally the animated cutscenes of X4.

The potential's always been there, they just haven't grasped it for some reason.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Digimon Cybersleuth and Hacker memories should be adapted instead of the new one. There is already a comic based on it, and the setting is more interesting/coherent with older Digimon anime/games.

I am psyched and also not looking forward to watching the Mass Effect because there is no way they would make a Male Shepard/Kaidan romance.

As for FE my top 3 are New Mystery, Fates, and Awakening. None of which is good for adaptation since it will canonize pairing and gender of avatars. FE4 and Tellius were praised by most of the fanbase but personally I don't see what makes them better than Fates, and I definitely would hate Ike even more if he become more popular, since he is the typical stoic anime MC.

Just picked up Octopath Traveler recently again, and I think it has Netflix potential. Each character can just have their 4 chapters as one episode, and then make the hidden ending as the finale.

I like Netflix Castlevania a lot, even though I have never played any of the game in the franchise. Arcane and Witcher, on the other hand, I just don't see the appeal or the hype, not that I played Dota or finished the Witcher trilogy.

55 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Nope. Closest you get to anything remotely resembling an animated series is the Day of Sigma OVA originally included with Maverick Hunter X (and later included on both parts of the Legacy Collection), followed by one episode of the Mega Man Ruby Spears cartoon ("Mega X"), the animated intro to X3, and finally the animated cutscenes of X4.

The potential's always been there, they just haven't grasped it for some reason.

I see. That's surprising; Mega Man classic had an anime, Battle Network had an anime, even Star Force had an anime; I'm surprised that X didn't.

23 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

As for FE my top 3 are New Mystery, Fates, and Awakening. None of which is good for adaptation since it will canonize pairing and gender of avatars. FE4 and Tellius were praised by most of the fanbase but personally I don't see what makes them better than Fates, and I definitely would hate Ike even more if he become more popular, since he is the typical stoic anime MC.

What makes Path of Radiance better than Fates (apart from better gameplay) is a coherent narrative with actual worldbuilding and compelling characters. Path of Radiance would be by far the most straightforward to adapt into an anime; no need to canonize pairings, avatar units, or specific routes, and it's actually a good story with the script right there for adapting.

What's wrong with Ike?

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I see. That's surprising; Mega Man classic had an anime, Battle Network had an anime, even Star Force had an anime; I'm surprised that X didn't.

Not exactly. The Ruby Spears cartoon wasn't an anime per se, though it did have moments. The pitch for the cartoon was much more spot-on. There was also a Mega Man OVA, which not only looked dead-on accurate to the games' art style but also sported animation quality comparable to a Western cartoon (then again, a lot of Western cartoons were outsourced to Asian animation studios to begin with...).

That said, I am baffled that of the Mega Man series, only Battle Network and Star Force ever got full-fledged anime adaptations. The closest Classic and X came were OVAs while Legends and Zero missed the ship completely.

Edited by Lord_Brand

16 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Not exactly. The Ruby Spears cartoon wasn't an anime per se, though it did have moments. The pitch for the cartoon was much more spot-on. There was also a Mega Man OVA, which not only looked dead-on accurate to the games' art style but also sported animation quality comparable to a Western cartoon (then again, a lot of Western cartoons were outsourced to Asian animation studios to begin with...).

That said, I am baffled that of the Mega Man series, only Battle Network and Star Force ever got full-fledged anime adaptations. The closest Classic and X came were OVAs while Legends and Zero missed the ship completely.

I see. I didn't know that it wasn't an anime.

Perhaps it was a timing thing? Battle Network and Star Force are the most recent two after all.

6 hours ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

FE4 and Tellius were praised by most of the fanbase but personally I don't see what makes them better than Fates

good writing and the fact that they at least cared to give a name to the continents FE4's and 9's stories take place

back on topic, i'd say Bravely Default and Second
don't really know why, nor i know if they'd make for good anime adaptations, but the moment i tought about it i knew i needed it

15 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

What makes Path of Radiance better than Fates (apart from better gameplay) is a coherent narrative with actual worldbuilding and compelling characters. Path of Radiance would be by far the most straightforward to adapt into an anime; no need to canonize pairings, avatar units, or specific routes, and it's actually a good story with the script right there for adapting.

What's wrong with Ike?

Tellius story spoiler

Spoiler

I think because I played PoR and RD back to back. I already dislike him from the very beginning of PoR, so him being the spotlight, not to mention he is the only one who can kill the boss goddess. Almost every time he appears on screen in RD it makes me dislike him as a character even more. I feel like he is similar to Captain American, the self-righteous kind who can excuse his own terrible behavior but not for other against him or his associate.

Compare that to Fates which is just mild and inoffensive. Before FEH, half the setting in Tellius is just fluff and exposition, so why does that matter if they have "extensive" lore if it's just gonna be mentioned once or twice, or that I need to remember some throwaway lines mentioned 5 chapters ago for it to make sense, but of course now Altina went from background extra to having a mythic form and christmas alt, otherwise I don't even remember the legends exists. I don't even know why identity of the black knight is a bid deal. Zelgius only appeared for like one scene in RD, how is it a plot twist? And I gotta read wikia to find out about the whole half-brand thing and there is actually a bunch of them, talk about unnecessary and convoluted.

8 hours ago, Yexin said:

good writing and the fact that they at least cared to give a name to the continents FE4's and 9's stories take place

You can change the continent's name to ABC and the whole plot would still be carried out as usual.

Here is the trail of sky animated movie that introduced me to the series.

Edited by MagicCanonBalls

8 hours ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

Tellius story spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

I think because I played PoR and RD back to back. I already dislike him from the very beginning of PoR, so him being the spotlight, not to mention he is the only one who can kill the boss goddess. Almost every time he appears on screen in RD it makes me dislike him as a character even more. I feel like he is similar to Captain American, the self-righteous kind who can excuse his own terrible behavior but not for other against him or his associate.

Compare that to Fates which is just mild and inoffensive. Before FEH, half the setting in Tellius is just fluff and exposition, so why does that matter if they have "extensive" lore if it's just gonna be mentioned once or twice, or that I need to remember some throwaway lines mentioned 5 chapters ago for it to make sense, but of course now Altina went from background extra to having a mythic form and christmas alt, otherwise I don't even remember the legends exists. I don't even know why identity of the black knight is a bid deal. Zelgius only appeared for like one scene in RD, how is it a plot twist? And I gotta read wikia to find out about the whole half-brand thing and there is actually a bunch of them, talk about unnecessary and convoluted.

You can change the continent's name to ABC and the whole plot would still be carried out as usual.

Okay... You and I are probably just going to have to agree to disagree about the Tellius games.

17 hours ago, Yexin said:

back on topic, i'd say Bravely Default and Second
don't really know why, nor i know if they'd make for good anime adaptations, but the moment i tought about it i knew i needed it

I don't think those would really work. They certainly have plenty of story, but I see a few potential problems with it.

For Bravely Default 1, one problem would be it ending up as a five-season long anime where seasons 2-5 repeat the events of season 1 over and over again.

A more serious problem would be that Bravely Default and Second were designed to take advantage of the 3DS hardware for serious fourth-wall breaks that made the stories more self-aware, so-to-speak, and I struggle to see how an anime would be able to recapture that kind of fourth-wall-breaking and have the same effect.

8 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't think those would really work. They certainly have plenty of story, but I see a few potential problems with it.

For Bravely Default 1, one problem would be it ending up as a five-season long anime where seasons 2-5 repeat the events of season 1 over and over again.

A more serious problem would be that Bravely Default and Second were designed to take advantage of the 3DS hardware for serious fourth-wall breaks that made the stories more self-aware, so-to-speak, and I struggle to see how an anime would be able to recapture that kind of fourth-wall-breaking and have the same effect.

for point 1, they might just shorten the "filler" part to a single episode where they quickly show that they repeat the cycle a few times, and some little changes here and there (most notably with bosses)

as for point 2, that's actually a better argument, you can't adapt how Agnés's pendant works, nor Bravely Second's finall boss fight, and many other things

...still, i'd love to see an animated version of Ringabel

6 hours ago, Yexin said:

for point 1, they might just shorten the "filler" part to a single episode where they quickly show that they repeat the cycle a few times, and some little changes here and there (most notably with bosses)

as for point 2, that's actually a better argument, you can't adapt how Agnés's pendant works, nor Bravely Second's final boss fight, and many other things

...still, i'd love to see an animated version of Ringabel

Point 1 was meant largely as a joke; that's why I opened point 2's paragraph with "a more serious problem"; sorry if that wasn't clear. Reducing the repeats down to essentially a single-episode montage could definitely work.

• 1 month later...

A Netflix series for Tekken just got announced yesterday.

It seems to be set within the timeframe of Tekken 3; the trailer shows Jin Kazama seeking out Heihachi after the supposed death of Jun Kazama.

A Monster Hunter anime could be interesting. Netflix has already made a Monster Hunter animated film (I haven't seen it, so I don't know whether or not it's any good, but surely it has to at least be better than the live-action film), but the more I think about it, the more I think that the Monster Hunter setting and format would be better suited to an episodic series rather than film. Think about it: a series of episodes each centered around a particular hunt, with a bit of intrigue and mystery building up to the inevitable reveal of an elder dragon; that could work really well for a straightforward TV series.