Video Games in 2023 - Hopes/Expectations/BETS

Zapp Branniglenn

A new year means a new opportunity for exciting, weird, and unfortunate things in the world of video games. Here is a space where you can write about your hopes, expectations, and predictions for the coming year. Write about whatever you like. But as for me, I'm all about making BETS

Checklisted Bets

• Game of the Year 2023 (as announced by Hidetaka Miyazaki at The Game Awards): Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Game that everyone liked yet took home no awards at TGA (this year's Horizon 2, Psychonauts 2, etc): Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
  • Personal Game of the Year 2023: Pending the announcement of something crazy, Resident Evil 4 Remake. Both previous remakes were my GOTY for those years.
  • Most divisive new release: Breath of the Wild 2. 
  • The 2024 Delay that shocks everybody: Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
  • The 2024 Delay that shocks nobody: Pikmin 4
  • New game that you vouch for but nobody listens: If it comes out, Alan Wake 2. Otherwise Lies of P
  • New Game Trailer with zero gameplay that people nonetheless lose their minds over: Something with Bioshock in the title.
  • Most (intentionally) funny Trailer: The Outer Worlds 2
  • Most (unintentionally) funny Trailer: Ark 2, the Vin Diesel game.
  • Newly announced game that I won't shut up about: Killer Instinct. 
  • Nintendo game unceremoniously announced one day in a tweet: Luigi's Mansion. Doesn't necessarily have to be 4
  • Biggest video game NFT: Sonic the Hedgehog. Because Final Fantasy again would not impress anybody.
  • Most Likely Developer/Publisher Acquisition (not counting Activision/Blizzard when that's finalized): Something connected to Warner Bros Interactive

Hyper Specific Bets

1. The Nintendo Switch successor is announced AND released. It's status as a "Pro" or new console is left incredibly vague, but it has exclusive games, new controller, and new dock. Its Tears of the Kingdom port runs worse than Switch in one specific aspect.
  2. Fire Emblem Engage will have at least two references to Super Smash Bros
  3. Fire Emblem Heroes announces its last story content for 2024. Servers down in 2025. Thanks for paying!
  4. Pikmin 4 announces a new pikmin type that specializes in digging, building tunnels you can cross through, and dealing with underground obstacles
  5. Pokemon Black & White Remakes announced. Developed by same team as Gen 4 remakes, but the aesthetic is animated sprites like the original. Redundant, but best looking Pokemon game, fans agree.
  6. Advance Wars Remasters resurface. And within a month of that release date, a new country has entered the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. 
  7. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth pre-orders offer a special edition bundled with an NFT. 
  8. Forespoken is the highest rated game on Metacritic published by Square Enix in 2023 (not counting ports/remasters)
  9. A Kingdom Hearts 4 trailer will feature the sight and/or sound of a Lightsaber igniting.
  10. Nintendo and Sony are both no-shows at E3/Summer Games Fest. To clarify: their Direct videos do not come out within a week of either event's start or end date, and they provide no game demos for press to play
  11. Todd Howard dares to say "it just works" in the E3 Starfield showcase. Pausing for audience laughter which was less than he was hoping.
  12. Starfield launches...with surprisingly few bugs for a Bethesda game
  13. Resident Evil 4 Remake grants a bigger role to Krauser and Leon gets a smooch from Ada.
  14. 007 Goldeneye finally appears on Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Actor likenesses replaced, and it looks really inauthentic to the art style
  15. The Dead Space Remake grants a bigger role to the unkillable necromorph. Now he stalks you room to room across many chapters similar to Mr. X in RE2R.
  16. Super Mario Bros. Movie post credit scene takes place in space. We watch a luma float about before cuddling up to a soft blue dress.
  17. The trailer for the Borderlands Movie is cut similarly to the openings of those games. Onscreen character names, probably riding a bus together, a skag gets runover, etc. 
  18. Masahiro Sakurai talks about the cut "battle damage" concept from Brawl in his Game Concepts video series
  19. Fighting Games - the genre - is saved in 2023. I refuse to elaborate on what that means, specifically
  20. Scalebound re-announced, but Microsoft has not purchased Platinum Games. 
  21. Shadow the Hedgehog - voiced by David Hayter

And now let's ogle what I got right for my own ego:

Spoiler

Checklisted bets

• Future Game of the Year (Industry): The way I see it, three contenders are for sure releasing this year. Elden Ring, Horizon 2, and God of War 2. Yep, return of the open world action games dominating GOTY. You guys WILL miss how much of a breath of fresh air 2021's lineup was. I think most outlets will be split on these, but specifically the Game Awards GOTY will go to Elden Ring. Bingo
  • Future Game of the Year (Personal): Kirby and the Fucking Forgotten Land Bada-Bingo
  • Future Worst of the Year (Industry): Among games that people notice even released? Sonic Frontiers is a possibility. It doesn't have the Nintendo Shield that Breath of the Wild 2 will (reminder that Skyward Sword's metacritic is NINETY THREE). Uhh hard to say. Pokemon's Metacritic score is nearly the same as Sonic Frontiers. But it sure as heck sold Pokemon numbers. Call this a half point for Sonic Frontiers being ONE of the most obvious potential answers. Babylon's Fall is an easy answer, but one wonders who in the world had confidence in that.
  • Future Worst of the Year (Personal): I've got a good track record of not getting games I don't think I'll like. If this were back at the start of the year I would have answered Pokemon Legends, but that doesn't seem too likely now that I've played it. Probably Sonic Frontiers or another Nintendo game. I did not play Sonic. But unforeseen circumstances lead to me playing Pokemon Scarlet, so that's my real answer.
  • Biggest Sales Flops: Saints Row. Saints Row did indeed flop, but I think Babylon's Fall shutting down next month speaks greater volumes. 
  • Biggest Controversy: Oof, how can you make a bet here that doesn't include NFTs? EA has gotten cold feet, and I think between Ubisoft and Square, Square is most likely to go through with it. But screw it, big bet time: Beyond Good and Evil 2 Resurfaces. And one of the solicited fan art submissions from years ago is allegedly being sold as an NFT. Did not hear a word about BG&E2. Could you imagine if I wrote down "Cloud Strife is now an NFT"? People would read that as a shit post.
  • Better than Anticipated: Marvel's Midnight Suns Ah, I haven't played it or heard much about it - positive or negative. Considering how it looked before release, It's probably a mild success story overall
  • Your Most Anticipated: Besides Kirby, let's call it a three way tie between Bayonetta 3, River City Girls 2, and Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. Nothing to really prove here either than I played all four. 
  • Game/Franchise You Most Want Announced: Killer Instinct 4 Some day.
  • Unannounced Game You Expect: Xenoblade Chronicles X port. Maybe on the Super Switch. 
  • Game that you will vouch for but nobody listens: Dying Light 2 (which I have not played at the time of writing). Maybe Tiny Tina's Wonderlands? Dunno if I can convince my friends to play with me. Ugh. Dying Light 2 was a let down. Didn't even finish it with a co-op buddy. I definitely liked Tiny Tina though.
  • The 2023 Delay that shocks everybody: Breath of the Wild 2 But will this be the last year I nail a BotW2 prediction? 
  • The 2023 Delay that shocks nobody: Gotham Knights. We've seen more of Suicide Squad and that news floored me. Obviously no since Gotham Knights did release on schedule. I'm still shocked. We got ONE new trailer for Suicide Squad at the END of the year, and it was yet another cutscene. What's going on with that game?
  • Scummiest DLC road map for a non-live-service game: Pokemon Legends Obviously this was written before the announcement of Scarlet and Violet. Legends did have a DLC roadmap, but it being totally free only ruffled the feathers of people hoping for a substantial expansion to the game. 
  • New Game trailer with zero gameplay that everybody loses their minds over: Persona 6. 25th Anniversary came and went
  • New Remake trailer with zero gameplay that everybody loses their minds over: Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary came and went.
  • Most incredible trailer for a game not releasing this year: Perfect Dark. For most people it's probably something with Final Fantasy in the title. Apparently Perfect Dark's development is not going well. FF7 Rebirth might be the biggest deal for the biggest quantity of people. Hades 2 is runner up
  • Video Game Movie with the highest score on RottenTomatoes: Uncharted Sonic The Hedgehog 2's at 69%. Uncharted at 41.
  • Video Game Movie of the Year (Personal): Sonic the Hedgehog 2 I did see both and ugh, sure. I guess I like this one better.
  • Biggest Company Acquisition (not counting Activision/Blizzard): EA. Nope. Funny story, Activision is still not bought at time of writing.
  • Most likely Company Acquisition: Something connected to Warner Bros Interactive. This didn't happen, but look. The expectation behind a bet like this requires a recap of a decade's worth of failures at Warner Bros across all their media divisions. But we don't have that kinda time. Most recently, they announced they would sell off their catalogue of film soundtracks, which feels a couple steps ahead of video game related stuff. But as of right now the greater story of WB liquefying has only impacted their games division insofar as Suicide Squad being in some kind of development hell, and NetherRealm Studios doesn't appear to be working on anything. But MultiVersus released without a hitch so...it's complicated?

Hyper Specific 2022 bets

• Pokemon Legends: Arceus is the buggiest Pokemon game ever released, and yet also the most interesting in decades, with several youtube video essays along the line of "this is what brought me back to Pokemon". The actual quality of the game is contentious, even among critics, but everyone agrees the DLC is ridiculously scummy. I wrote this bet not having heard anything about Pokemon's Gen 4 remakes, so this was a bad bet to begin with. And to make matters worse, the as-of-then unnanounced Pokemon Scarlet turned out to be even worse! As for whether Legends "brought people back to pokemon" I don't really know. If it did, those same people have left after the new one. 
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land lore implies that Kirby or something with the same origin as Kirby is the biggest threat in the universe. I don't believe that happened. Though it was not lost on me that the antagonist is shaped like a heart.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X gets ported to the Switch. Yes, really. AND the next Monolith Soft game gets teased - it doesn't have Xeno in the title. By announcing and releasing Xenoblade 3, they dunked this bet on both counts. Ouch. 
  • The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild Sequel is slated for release in spring of 2023. But everyone agrees that trailer was really good. Bullseye on the release window, I don't think anybody was impressed by the trailer. Call it a half point.
  • Grezzo's next game is another remake. But hold your groans, because it's either Super Mario RPG, or a Mother game in the style of the Link's Awakening's remaster. Damn. That's a good idea
  • Bayonetta's nintendo costumes in the third game include Pyra/Mythra outfits. Another great idea, but no.
  • No 'Switch Pro' released, but we start getting credible rumors of a more powerful Switch in development. I try (and fail) to convince everybody it's the next nintendo platform and I call it the Super Switch because nobody can stop me. No on both counts. I would not award a half point for betting against Switch Pro.
  • The Second Sonic movie has a scene where the Cop Buddy is calling Sonic from an Olive Garden. And there is where we get our Jaleel White cameo. They shoulda had me write that movie
  • Kratos dies in God of War Ragnarok and I cry like a baby. I have not played this game. But I feel like if Kratos dies the internet would have spoiled that for me by now. So it's a no. 
  • Sony launches a subscription service to rival Game Pass that includes a tier with classic PS1 and PS2 games boasting full trophy support and peer to peer online multiplayer. The emulation is real bad and the lineup is particularly light on JRPGs, but everybody agrees it's better than the Switch's Expansion Pak through sheer volume of titles. I think all of this is a yes except for multiplayer. And I think everybody agrees they're both disappointing, so who cares if it's better than the switch? Half point.
  • The Dead Space Remake not only releases but the unkillable Necromorph has a much greater role in the story, behaving like Mr. X in Resident Evil 2 Remake across most of the latter half of the game. Dead Space Remake is not out yet, but I'm moving this bet to 2023
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has at least four confirmed kills of classic DC superheroes. None of whom are Batman because he's helping you do it. The delay for this game shocked all of us. It's hard to tell what role Batman will play, even a year later.
  • I was about to bet on no release of FF16 in 2022 until we got an update a few days ago almost confirming just that. So instead my Squeenix prediction is that, months after the release of Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster, they'll tell us "by the way we heard you and we decided people DO want these on consoles. So you may buy them again there". Okay this was announced in DECEMBER, which is far later than I was anticipating. Said ports are not even out yet. But due to the lack of specifics, none of this bet is wrong. 
  • Square Enix releases no new trailers for FF 7 remake part 2, or FF16, but does teasers of remakes for other twenty year old games. Including a remake of Kingdom Hearts. Both of those games got trailers. And they announced Kingdom Hearts 4 instead of the remake. Ouch.  
  • You still cannot walk into a store and buy a brand new PS5 or Xbox Series X off the shelf at any point of 2022. Okay, hard to conclusively answer this from just my experience, but I took a look at several points of the year and did not see either system available. Only display models. Everybody that has one seems to have ordered it online, but feel free to correct me with your experience. 
  • Microsoft announces a new Killer Instinct and I buy an Xbox Series X as a show of thanks. Heck I probably buy one regardless. There is no new Killer Instinct and I am thusly Xbox-less. 
  • The Game Awards 2022 ends with Josef Faris presenting Elden Ring as Game of the Year. Bingo bongo. Fuck the Oscars. 

Fire Emblem Prediction:

Engage will get a 2nd expansion pass. Three Hopes won't. Grumble grumble.

Game of the Year (Industry)

Star Wars Jedi Survivor

Game of the Year (Personal)

Final Fantasy 16

Worst of the Year (Industry)

Exoprimal

Worst of the Year (Personal)

Forspoken

Biggest Flops

Skull and Bones

Forspoken

Biggest Controversy

Hogwarts Legacy will be extremely good, but buying it will continue to be a morale issue. It will then stir tons of shit for being nominated at the Game Awards.

Better than Anticipated

Suicide Squad (I hope!)

Most Disappointing 

One Piece Odyssey

My Most Anticipated

Suicide Squad

Games I Most Want Announced:
Fire Emblem Geneology Remake

Three Hopes dlc
Warriors game for Pokemon, Marvel/DC, Final Fantasy, or League of Legends
Persona 6
Golden Sun

Unnannounced Games I Predict:
Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster

Final Fantasy Warriors

Safest Prediction

All the Kickstarter MMOs will be delayed. All of them.

Game that you will vouch for but nobody listens:

Suicide Squad

The 2023 Delay that shocks everybody: 

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

The 2023 Delay that shocks nobody:

Ashes of Creation

Scummiest DLC road map for a non-live-service game: 

Fate Samurai Remnant

New Game trailer with zero gameplay that everybody loses their minds over: 

Persona 6

New Remake trailer with zero gameplay that everybody loses their minds over: 

Legend of Dragoon

Most incredible trailer for a game not releasing this year: 

Elder Scrolls 6

Last Year, I got the following right:

Industry Game of the Year

Biggest Flops

Safest Prediction

2 of 3 unnannounced games

2 most wanted game announcements. In a very monkey's paw way.

Delay that shocks nobody

The rest are wrong. But here's what I got VERY wrong:

Personal game of the year - Surprise double whammy from Three Hopes and XBC3!

Better than anticipated and most disappointing were flipped. Oof. Just. Oof. Right in the heart!

Spoiler
  • Game of the Year (Industry) - Elden Ring
  • Game of the Year (Personal) - Triangle Strategy

Worst of the Year (Industry) - Dying Light 2

Worst of the Year (Personal) - Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires

Biggest Flops - Babylon's Fall, Saints Row

Biggest Controversy - NFTs

Better than Anticipated - Gotham Knights

Most Disappointing - Marvel's Midnight Suns

My Most Anticipated - Gotham Knights

Games I Most Want Announced:
    Fire Emblem 
    Warriors game for Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Marvel/DC,;or League of Legends
    Persona 6
    Golden Sun

Unnannounced Games I Predict:
    Fire Emblem
    Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Safest Prediction - FromSoft fans will continue to be the most annoying fandom for years to come.

• Game that you will vouch for but nobody listens: Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons
  • The 2023 Delay that shocks everybody: Bayonetta 3
  • The 2023 Delay that shocks nobody: Ashes of Creation, Final Fantasy 16
  • Scummiest DLC road map for a non-live-service game: Touken Ranbu Warriors
  • New Game trailer with zero gameplay that everybody loses their minds over: Persona 6
  • New Remake trailer with zero gameplay that everybody loses their minds over: Legend of Dragoon
  • Most incredible trailer for a game not releasing this year: God of War Ragnarok
  • Video Game Movie with the highest score on RottenTomatoes: Uncharted
  • Video Game Movie of the Year (Personal): Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Biggest Company Acquisition (not counting Activision/Blizzard): EA
  • Most likely Company Acquisition: Sega

Hopes

• FE4 remake announcement
  • Metroid Prime 4 finally gets a release date
  • Kid Icarus Uprising remaster
  • Dragalia Lost remaster that tones down the gacha (i.e. earning materials entirely through gameplay)
  • Announcements for a new mainline Mario and new Donkey Kong game
  • Game Boy and GBA on NSO
  • ARMS 2
  • A Kingdom Hearts side game featuring Kairi and Aqua

Expectations

• Memes
  • New playable characters for Sonic Frontiers
  • A big blowout preceding Tears of the Kingdom
  • Sora amiibo
  • Microsoft’s buyout of Activision will eventually go through

Bets

• More Kingdom Hearts 4 info around the end of this year to gear up hype in 2024
  • Rayman will meet the real Mario in a cutscene in the Sparks of Hope DLC
  • Announcement of Nintendo’s next console

I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem Engage, Octopath Traveler 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Crash Team Rumble, Final Fantasy XVI, Marvel's Spider-Man 2, and, if they come out this year, Tekken 8 and Final Fantasy VII Remake: Rebirth. I'm sure there's some other game that was announced that I'm also looking forward to that's slipped my mind.

I'm expecting this year to be a pretty big one for me, personally. There's a lot of games coming out that I'd like to play, a lot of franchises I like pushing some stuff out. I'm hopeful for a couple other announcements, as well. I'm hoping we hear something about an official Genealogy of the Holy War remake, something official for Crash Bandicoot 5 and Spyro the Dragon 4, and something for Metroid and Luigi's Mansion. That'd be neat.

I'm looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom, Final Fantasy XVI and the Mega Man Battle Network legacy collection. I was originally also looking forward to Fire Emblem Engage, but then Nintendo killed my hype for the game by announcing fairly substantial day-1 DLC.

My Hopes:

1. FE4 Remake is announced, and it is clear from the announcement that the whole team is on the same page in terms of what kind of remake they want to make. One thing that really bothered me when playing Shadows of Valentia was that the game felt very disjointed, as if the dev team couldn't fully agree on what to change and what to keep the same. I felt something similar while going through FF7 Remake's story (along with disappointment that the game wasn't actually a remake but an alternate-timeline game) and, sure enough, the director and the producer for that game couldn't agree on the game's story: the director: Tetsuya Nomura, wanted the game to be an actual remake, while the producer: Yoshinori Kitase, pushed for the game to have an all-new story.

2. Tears of the Kingdom has Zelda accompany Link throughout the game. This one is extremely unlikely, as the trailers we have so far show Link adventuring solo so far, but I really hope it happens. Breath of the Wild ended on Link and Zelda finally reuniting and setting out together; I feel it would be a real disservice if the sequel went, "Oh? You thought that we would actually follow up on that? Sike! They're immediately separated again and won't reunite until the end of the game again!" And I'm not alone in thinking that; Phantom Hourglass sidelined Tetra after Wind Waker ended on her and Link setting out together, and that was probably the thing people hated most about Phantom Hourglass (and just think about what a high bar that is).

3. Tears of the Kingdom reveals that this Link is actually left-handed, but was trained to fight right-handed by the overly traditionalist Hyrule. This is a very small thing that would go a long way towards recognizing that Link is the left-handed hero and putting disappointed fans at ease, and it would fit the Hyrule we saw in flashbacks in Breath of the Wild.

I don't want to make any bets or predictions for this year. I don't really have enough of an idea of what's going on this year to make any good guesses. That said, I will go over the hopes I listed in 2022:

Spoiler

1. Pokémon Legends Arceus is actually good. Hooray; this one was correct! Legends Arceus didn't have everything I could've wanted in a 3D return to the Sinnoh region (at the "this is unlikely but would be cool" end, I was picturing stuff like fast-moving Pokémon swarms and seeing the Torn World in 3D), and the graphics needed more polish, but it was a good game.

2. Xenoblade X ported to Switch. This one was completely wrong. I do hope it gets ported to Switch someday; it's the only Xenoblade game I've ever been able to finish simply because the exploration was amazing.

3. Grezzo remakes the Zelda Oracle games as a bundle of three games: Ages, Seasons, and the cancelled third game. Since I quite liked Link's Reawakening's art style but I know that not everyone did, I also hope there's an option to use the original 8-bit graphics if the player prefers that. This sadly didn't happen either. It would be cool to see, but I'm not predicting it this year.

4. Nintendo announces a new Hyrule Warriors game that is actually a prequel to Breath of the Wild instead of an alternate-timeline game masquerading as a prequel in the marketing. I wasn't expecting this one to happen at all, so I'm not disappointed that it didn't happen. On the plus side, I stopped getting bombarded by Nintendo defenders trying to defend Age of Calamity's false-advertising, so that's nice.

5. Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection. Hooray; this one happened! And it looks like it'll be better than I could've thought: for each game that had multiple versions, it has each version as separate games and has all of them on the collection; that's cool.

6. An FE Genealogy remake, and this time they actually know what kind of remake they want it to be, unlike Shadows of Valentia. Given that I'm hoping for this in 2023, it's safe to say that it didn't happen in 2022.

7. Metroid Prime Trilogy Remaster. This one didn't happen either. If Nintendo does bring these three games back, I hope it is as a trilogy and not each game separately.

24 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

1. FE4 Remake is announced, and it is clear from the announcement that the whole team is on the same page in terms of what kind of remake they want to make. One thing that really bothered me when playing Shadows of Valentia was that the game felt very disjointed, as if the dev team couldn't fully agree on what to change and what to keep the same. 

Hm? I don’t think Shadows of Valentina is necessarily a perfect remake, but it never gave me that feeling at all.

13 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Hm? I don’t think Shadows of Valentina is necessarily a perfect remake, but it never gave me that feeling at all.

It's not a popular opinion, but it is one I have expressed pretty much ever since I played Shadows of Valentia. I would give a list of examples in detail, but it's been a long time since I played it and it would involve going through a lot of my old statements on the topic. I will just give a few quick examples without too much detail; please don't take these as the complete arguments:

Spoiler

1. The remake is very upfront about having a central theme of duality; a theme of, among other things, two people with conflicting ideologies needing to not let it get between them and work together for a better future. This theme is pretty much said outright in the cutscene of Alm and Celica as kids, it is similarly outright stated by Mila when she talks about her and Duma's disagreement, etc. And yet, the remake retains the original game's emphasis on Alm as the main hero at the expense of Celica; rather than two imperfect people following their ideologies until they get hit hard by their respective flaws and coming together; something the remake is clearly trying to do in concept, the game instead has Alm be a perfect hero who is never confronted with a character flaw or ideological flaw and who everyone fawns over. The duality theme is at odds with the game's structure and the characterization of Alm.

2. Jedah: in the original game, there isn't much to him: he's a moustache-twirling evil mage. Sometimes in the game, he's an extremist who is motivated by a genuine belief that Valentia cannot survive without Duma (essentially, in concept, how remake-Celica could've ended up if she didn't learn from her mistakes), but then other dialogue and plot moments keep the moustache-twirling villainy, and not in a way that creates a multi-faceted character; it's just a jarring clash of personality traits. One moment, he's motivated by Valentia needing Duma in his eyes; then just a moment later, he'll be motivated by nothing more than 'How can I be evil today?' And Jedah isn't the only character with serious clash of characterization; Alm, Celica, Rudolph; they all have it. Jedah is just the one where I can write a very short paragraph about it instead of a longer one.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:31 PM, vanguard333 said:

I'm looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom, Final Fantasy XVI and the Mega Man Battle Network legacy collection. I was originally also looking forward to Fire Emblem Engage, but then Nintendo killed my hype for the game by announcing fairly substantial day-1 DLC.

My Hopes:

1. FE4 Remake is announced, and it is clear from the announcement that the whole team is on the same page in terms of what kind of remake they want to make. One thing that really bothered me when playing Shadows of Valentia was that the game felt very disjointed, as if the dev team couldn't fully agree on what to change and what to keep the same. I felt something similar while going through FF7 Remake's story (along with disappointment that the game wasn't actually a remake but an alternate-timeline game) and, sure enough, the director and the producer for that game couldn't agree on the game's story: the director: Tetsuya Nomura, wanted the game to be an actual remake, while the producer: Yoshinori Kitase, pushed for the game to have an all-new story.

2. Tears of the Kingdom has Zelda accompany Link throughout the game. This one is extremely unlikely, as the trailers we have so far show Link adventuring solo so far, but I really hope it happens. Breath of the Wild ended on Link and Zelda finally reuniting and setting out together; I feel it would be a real disservice if the sequel went, "Oh? You thought that we would actually follow up on that? Sike! They're immediately separated again and won't reunite until the end of the game again!" And I'm not alone in thinking that; Phantom Hourglass sidelined Tetra after Wind Waker ended on her and Link setting out together, and that was probably the thing people hated most about Phantom Hourglass (and just think about what a high bar that is).

3. Tears of the Kingdom reveals that this Link is actually left-handed, but was trained to fight right-handed by the overly traditionalist Hyrule. This is a very small thing that would go a long way towards recognizing that Link is the left-handed hero and putting disappointed fans at ease, and it would fit the Hyrule we saw in flashbacks in Breath of the Wild.

I don't want to make any bets or predictions for this year. I don't really have enough of an idea of what's going on this year to make any good guesses. That said, I will go over the hopes I listed in 2022:

Reveal hidden contents

Hm? Although I don't necessarily think Shadows of Valentina is a flawless recreation, I never felt that way about it. By the way, I also like to play online real money games and I am using the https://playcasinoscanada.com website to find the Best Canadian Online Casino Bonuses websites because over there I also can read reviews. If you also want to earn money then you can also visit over there.

Hm? Although I don't necessarily think Shadows of Valentina is a flawless recreation, I never felt that way about it.

Edited by GaryHare

4 hours ago, GaryHare said:

Hm? Although I don't necessarily think Shadows of Valentina is a flawless recreation, I never felt that way about it.

See above; @Perkilator said the same thing as you did, and I gave a response where I tried to be more specific and gave some examples of things in the game that were very disjointed and seemed at odds with one another.

• 2 months later...

I'm right there with you on the video game BETS for 2023! I gotta say, I'm hyped for Marvel's Spider-Man 2 to take Game of the Year. And if Resident Evil 4 Remake drops, that's my pick. I'm also with you on the Breath of the Wild 2 prediction - that game is gonna be hella divisive, no doubt about it. And I'm dying for a Killer Instinct announcement, that's my jam. But yo, have you researched whether can you make money on audible? I've been getting into audiobooks lately and I heard you can make bank by recording your own and putting 'em up on Audible. I'm thinking about giving it a shot, you should too!

Edited by Choisenfrei

2023 is pretty much over already in terms of (new) games for me.

All the interesting ones for me already came out:

• Fire Emblem Engage
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Kirby's Return To Dream Land Deluxe
  • Trails Of Azure

I'm not very excited in Trails Of Reverie from what I've read about that, so I won't buy it instantly at the very least.

Still I hope for lots of good games being added to NSO, especially Judgral series and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, one thing I definitely didn’t expect:

My translation: “Combined sales of "Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection" Vol.1 and Vol.2 have surpassed 1 million units worldwide!
Thank you all for your support!”

To remind you, this title was originally held by Mega Man 11.

11 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Okay, one thing I definitely didn’t expect:

My translation: “Combined sales of "Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection" Vol.1 and Vol.2 have surpassed 1 million units worldwide!
Thank you all for your support!”

To remind you, this title was originally held by Mega Man 11.

I mean, it's kind of cheating to release the game in 2 halves and to count them together.

But since they'd still be pretty successful even if you halve the figure, and they're great games that deserve the success (more than any other MM games, IMO)... I'll allow it.

Call me up when they update Capcom's Platinum title list. It would be the Seventh Mega Man thing, and second Mega Man collection to make it. There's a lot of self-serving decisions with how Capcom constructs this list. Namely NOT double counting releases of games that are the same in terms of content just to have another entry to list. But...yeah, they did count the two versions of Battle Network 4 together as one release didn't they. Well if Pokemon is never called out on it then we can cut some slack for the underdog.

I know the Platinum Title List is just a space for them to brag about how strong their brands are and only represents a fraction of Capcom's (non-arcade) releases but wow. Imagine if every publisher was that transparent with sales figures as a baseline. Would put a lot of things into perspective.