DLC Access after the eshop's Closing

Mercakete

So, this is something I've been a bit concerned about since, in order to play at least some 3DS DLC, you need to access the ingame eshop. Once the eshop closes completely, will DLC you already purchased still be accessible? If it's different per game, which games will the paid-for DLC no longer be playable? I figured a way to test this would be to try accessing purchased DLC without being connected to the internet, but I figured I may as well just pose the question here.

Well, from the website:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-%26-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q%26a

Even after March 27, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

So yes, purchased DLC will still be available and can be redownloaded as needed.

I'd also like to know. I am assuming that already purchased DLC that has been downloaded will remain accessible without an Internet or eShop connection. If the DLC is deleted from local storage, though, I'm not sure how re-downloading will work after the eShop closes.

As for me, I missed the boat on DLC for Awakening. Although the eShop is still technically "open" until March, the ability to add funds seems to be entirely disabled. According to https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-%26-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q%26a

• As of May 23, 2022, it is no longer possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
  • As of August 29, 2022, it is no longer possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until March 27, 2023.

So, yeah...unless someone has a butt load of download codes for the numerous Awakening DLC packs as well as the DLC for other 3DS FE games that they'd like to share around, looks like emulation might be the only possible way to access the DLC going forward. Actually, I'm not even sure if download codes were ever used for DLC, or just base games, lol.

Very lame on Nintendo's part.

EDIT: Acacia Sgt posted at the same time as me, lol. Also I did not read the web page that closely haha.

Edited by FlamesOfRagnell

1 minute ago, FlamesOfRagnell said:

I'd also like to know. I am assuming that already purchased DLC that has been downloaded will remain accessible without an Internet or eShop connection. If the DLC is deleted from local storage, though, I'm not sure how re-downloading will work after the eShop closes.

As for me, I missed the boat on DLC for Awakening. Although the eShop is still technically "open" until March, the ability to add funds seems to be entirely disabled. According to https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57847/~/wii-u-%26-nintendo-3ds-eshop-discontinuation-q%26a

So, yeah...unless someone has a butt load of download codes for the numerous Awakening DLC packs as well as the DLC for other 3DS FE games that they'd like to share around, looks like emulation might be the only possible way to access the DLC going forward. Actually, I'm not even sure if download codes were ever used for DLC, or just base games, lol.

Very lame on Nintendo's part.

You can still buy them. Funds added directly to your Nintendo Account should still be usable.

Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until March 27, 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Funds added directly to your Nintendo Account should still be usable.

Ah, well there's a neat little work-around.

In general though, still not too thrilled about Nintendo's disinterest in game preservation. But that's nothing new.

Well, depends on the games. Even the oldest FE games are at Nintendo Online. Granted, not available outside of a Japanese account, but they're there.

But yeah, quite a few still get left behind...

@Acacia Sgt @FlamesOfRagnell

Thanks, guys! I may still test to see if DLC can still be accessed without an internet connection (for when the 3DS becomes a local-only console like its predecessor did), but at least the odds are looking better than they were before.

1 minute ago, Mercakete said:

Thanks, guys! I may still test to see if DLC can still be accessed without an internet connection (for when the 3DS becomes a local-only console like its predecessor did), but at least the odds are looking better than they were before.

Well, if you ask me, since you can still redownload and some online features will remain, it's likely the shop itself will still be there. You just won't be able to make purchases. So any DLC requiring the shop will still be available, so I don't see them making it be available while offline, since there's no need.

But sure, once March comes around it'd be worth to check if they do change that.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, if you ask me, since you can still redownload and some online features will remain, it's likely the shop itself will still be there. You just won't be able to make purchases. So any DLC requiring the shop will still be available, so I don't see them making it be available while offline, since there's no need.

But sure, once March comes around it'd be worth to check if they do change that.

I totally agree. This reasoning is very sound. Thanks for explaining it in such an easy-to-understand way for me. 🙂 And yeah, it may be worth looking into again in March, though Nintendo tends to be pretty good at warning players well ahead of time before they shut down as widely-used a feature as 3DS/WiiU/Wii/DS internet servers. That's what they did for the Wii and the DS, anyway, and they seem to be continuing the trend by warning players about the eshop shutting down. Anyway, that's why I think we'll see an announcement before they shut down the 3DS/WiiU servers for good. There's still value in taking the cautious road and testing things like this for yourself, though -- I agree.

Sorry if my wording was a little all over the place. One thought leads to another and it can get a bit winding, but I am trying to keep myself clear. I'm just not always great at that.

Edited by Mercakete