Merciless/Hard 5 Walkthrough

Reynard is easy as fuck as a note.

Here's what's required...

- Oguma

- Navarre if he's either gained a point in strength or speed.

- Vulnerary

- Either Rena or Wrys for heal staff use.

Here's what you do.

- Give Oguma the killer edge and plop him next to Reynard. End Turn.

- Next turn have Ogma go down to Navarre and trade him the killer edge and suck down a vulnerary and the staffer heals him. If Reynard misses (pretty good chance too), Ogma can sit there for the next turn too.

- Have Navarre plo right next to Reynard with the traded killer edge equipped. End turn.

- Next turn if Navarre had taken a blow, have him go to Ogma and trade the killer edge for the vulneraries and have him suck one down and the healer heals him the rest of the way. If he dodged Reynard's blow, he can stay there for an extra turn.

- Repeat till the criticals take him down to size, then gang up on him when he's weak enough. If you want him down early, take a risk and smack him with teh Devil Axe with Barst. Hell, there's a save point just nearby.

Easy, safe, and quick. Well...quicker than normally. IF it's been mentioned before, then pardon moi.

Chapter 2's boss is harder.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killing Edge + Devil Axe and Mekkah's "Drain all his Hand Axe uses" all work with base stats. This strategy's even more luck dependent....

As opposed to what other strategy? The one where we're slowly whittling away and risking getting hit a lot because just countering would make sure he recovers all his health and chances of anyone not getting doubled by him is so slim that even Navarre has to rely on chance (though it's 90% he grows strength or speed a level up) to not get doubled himself wielding the only weapon he can do anything to Reynard with? *takes in a deep breath* that was a long one...

This just makes sure we're having an assured chance to attack him safely every time what I outlined, and doesn't take as long as just letting him run out of hand axes. If anything, it's LESS luck dependent. We're having more chances to crit with the killer edge without needing to bring in the risky as hell devil axe. It's am option now rather than needed.

Edited by Grandjackal

Regular Killing Edge + Devil Axe:

Ogma just counters. When he crits, you attack with the Devil Axe. Risk here being that Devil Axe would have around 70% displayed hit and the stupid curse thing and for that, there's the save point.

Killing Edge + Killing Edge:

Sounds nice on paper but Ogma and Nabarl have what? 23% chance (something like that) to score criticals and they have to do it MULTIPLE TIMES, ALL WHILE HE'S HEALING 20% HP each turn. Think ~23% chance of critical's gonna happen often? it's very possible that the Vulnerary could run out and possibly the heal staff as well. Let's not forget that this requires a level up from Nabarl, which doesn't sound nice to people that won't use him.

Regular Killing Edge + Devil Axe:

Ogma just counters. When he crits, you attack with the Devil Axe. Risk here being that Devil Axe would have around 70% displayed hit and the stupid curse thing and for that, there's the save point.

Killing Edge + Killing Edge:

Sounds nice on paper but Ogma and Nabarl have what? 23% chance (something like that) to score criticals and they have to do it MULTIPLE TIMES, ALL WHILE HE'S HEALING 20% HP each turn. Think ~23% chance of critical's gonna happen often? it's very possible that the Vulnerary could run out and possibly the heal staff as well. Let's not forget that this requires a level up from Nabarl, which doesn't sound nice to people that won't use him.

...You do realize that A. That relies on Ogma critting anyways, and B. I said you could use the Devil Axe anyways, right? However if Ogma gets hit, he has to run back and heal anyways, that turn is empty for Reynard to just heal. Either way it requires a critical and this makes the chances more frequent rather than relying all chances on one guy and taking even longer.

Not nice to people who don't wanna use Navarre? What about the people who don't wanna use Ogma, or Barst or Bord (who can also use the devil axe)?

...You do realize that A. That relies on Ogma critting anyways, and B. I said you could use the Devil Axe anyways, right? However if Ogma gets hit, he has to run back and heal anyways, that turn is empty for Reynard to just heal. Either way it requires a critical and this makes the chances more frequent rather than relying all chances on one guy and taking even longer.

...You do realize that A. this requires just 1 critical while which is more likely to happen than 2 or 3 happening before he gets healed enough to take more? B. I know, that part works well but you still to level up Nabarl just to get another killing Edge user for this (and if you didn't, then it's just the already listed Killing Edge + Devil Axe tactic). It can take a while but at least it doesn't require too much luck.

Not nice to people who don't wanna use Navarre? What about the people who don't wanna use Ogma, or Barst or Bord (who can also use the devil axe)?

That's why it works with base stats... You don't have to level up any of them, just keep them alive in chapter 2 and 3.

Edited by Sirius

...You do realize that A. this requires just 1 critical while which is more likely to happen than 2 or 3 happening before he gets healed enough to take more? B. I know, that part works well but you still to level up Nabarl just to get another killing Edge user for this (and if you didn't, then it's just the already listed Killing Edge + Devil Axe tactic). It can take a while but at least it doesn't require too much luck.

That's why it works with base stats... You don't have to level up any of them, just keep them alive in chapter 2 and 3.

Considering at worst, Navarre is recruited after killing the 3 axers that charge from Reynard's fortress, there's plenty of opportunity for him to get experience. Him leveling is not out of imagination.

This lets us have the chance to get said crit faster (as one crit from either of them will leave enough for Devil Axe Barst to just charge in and slaughter him). Who else has the opportunity outside him? Everyone else needs more levels and more luck. All he needs is one level that isn't outside of imagination. For how much quicker he'd be making this go, this isn't so hard to swallow, is it?

Edited by Grandjackal

Considering at worst, Navarre is recruited after killing the 3 axers that charge from Reynard's fortress, there's plenty of opportunity for him to get experience. Him leveling is not out of imagination.

Point out where I said it was. I know it's not impossible to level him up but it's a requirement and the 2 strategies I listed have MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS to do it. There was no regard for efficiency there, just getting things done with minimum requirements and no casualties.

This lets us have the chance to get said crit faster (as one crit from either of them will leave enough for Devil Axe Barst to just charge in and slaughter him). Who else has the opportunity outside him? Everyone else needs more levels and more luck. All he needs is one level that isn't outside of imagination. For how much quicker he'd be making this go, this isn't so hard to swallow, is it?

And I wanna level up Nabarl when I don't wanna use him just so I can have more chances to critical the boss and speed things up in a game that has no tactics ranking and absolutely no reward for doing this sort of thing fast because...?

I'm not saying this is a bad strategy, it's just that its requirements are not exactly minimum.

Edited by Sirius

Point out where I said it was. I know it's not impossible to level him up but it's a requirement and the 2 strategies I listed have MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS to do it. There was no regard for efficiency there, just getting things done with minimum requirements and no casualties.

And I wanna level up Nabarl when I don't wanna use him just so I can have more chances to critical the boss and speed things up in a game that has no tactics ranking and absolutely no reward for doing this sort of thing fast because...?

I'm not saying this is a bad strategy, it's just that its requirements are not exactly minimum.

Right right....perhaps it's the wrong topic, I apologize for uh...starting this.

• 7 months later...

Something to add:

Instead of this strategy

OOEOO

OEEEO

AABAA

OOBOO

OOOOO (located on your first post)

Make it look something like this

OOEOO

OEEEO

AAEAA

OBBBO

OOBOO

This stops whatever Javelins they could use on you, and you get to hit them more times.

KEY: O = Open space

A = Wall

E = Enemy

B = Attacking unit

Edited by Ben Stein

• 2 years later...

Hi

I've read the beginning of the walkthrough here and some comments on h5.., but I'm not sure about some stuff (only recently got FE SD)..

Question(s):

- is it possible to finish FESD on h5, without sacrificing any charas ? (if possible without sacrificing, then only with super weapons?...is h5 actually ment for super weapons (bought from Wi Fi)?...

- if charas are ment to be sacrificed, are the "sacrificed ones" more like "faceless fodder" charas you get in big masses? or are they "normal" charas (characters) ..maybe like Maria's brother in FE PoR?

- is in that case, H4 the hightest difficulty to play without sacrificing?

- and last, is FESD's best gameplay/best experience (for a true FE lover) on H5 with sacrificing or H4 without sacrificing? (if H5 needs sacrificing at all ... and if H4 is possilbe witout sacrificing..)

Hahah.

There's no NEED to sacrifice characters, H5 only seemed hard at the time I wrote this but now it's even considered easy by some. You don't have to kill off your characters in any difficulty, it's just makes for a more interesting experience playing with faceless characters.

Anyway since this thing is really really old and pretty much made obsolete by the folks who draft or have generally played this a lot more than I have, I would appreciate it if a moderator would unpin and close this as I have no intention of updating this thing to match today's "standards" or answer questions here.

thanx for the info smile.gif

the first level really seems hard, and not losing any charactesr (even when buying 3 Javelins, they don't allways hit..; tried not to read the 1 chapter walkthourgh too far.., but buying the 10'000 Gold with Marth was a very good tip!...)..

it's good to know, that's it's possible, without sacrificiing any charas on h5... (motivation just got bigger..)

you can 0% growth H5 without sacrificing any characters * (haven't recorded that run yet, however)

* exception being that you need to sacrifice tiki to defeat medeus (but you bring her back with aum), and i think you need to do the warp glitch in chapter 22

0% growth without sactificing any characters??..

what's 0% growth? what do you mean exactly?

It means that all the level ups your character gets will have no stat increase. You have to rely on Promotion gains and Stat Boosters to raise your character's stats...

• 3 weeks later...

Most of this discussion doesn't seem to be about the walkthrough, but another playthrough. I almost feel like it should be in a different thread. I could split off all the old posts too, if that's something you'd like.

Edit: Topic split. Discussion on Rai's playthrough takes place in the new thread only. This topic is being closed by previous request.

Edited by Balcerzak