No Overseas Release?

Bryan

Europe has already announced it... NoA has also given several hints that it will be released here. On top of that, it has outsold Kid Icarus already (I believe) so bringing it over when they specifically mention KI makes sense.

Considering a European release was confirmed in a Nintendo Direct trailer, and Fire Emblem: Awakening (meaning they gave it an official English subtitle) will be in the next Nintendo Power, I'd say that at least Europe is going to happen.

The fact they use the term "overseas" baffles me, because I'd have assumed that it would apply to Europe as well.

They also said no plans to but want to boost sales more, so it sounds like they want to release is "overseas" but just not make an announcement yet.

It only says that, " we have not decided on a plan to release it overseas", which could mean they haven't decided whether they want to release it or not or that maybe they are deciding when and how they will release it. The "we hope to further increase its sales" part is encouraging though.

Edited by Modern Major General

I'm guessing what this means is that they'll see if the game can sell on the long run and decide then. Also I would think a deciding factor would be that if it is released this year it will probably be around fall, which means kingdom hearts 3d will eat it alive sales wise and they already lost enough money this past fiscal year so they're probably just being careful.

Edited by Velth

Considering that the meeting also brought up digital distribution for retail games, they might be considering making a digital copy of the game. It would certainly help cut down on the costs of shipping physical copies to retailers.

Now that the thought has crossed my mind, does anyone know roughly how large Awakening is, data-wise?

Considering a European release was confirmed in a Nintendo Direct trailer, and Fire Emblem: Awakening (meaning they gave it an official English subtitle) will be in the next Nintendo Power, I'd say that at least Europe is going to happen.

Yeah, about that: If you're talking about Nintendo Power Vol. 278, it was part of their "News from Japan" monthly article. As for any indication listed in Vol. 279, well it's pretty much a mystery at this point. (It didn't show up in the upcoming games list as of yet, that's for sure.) Edited by Little Al

I'm guessing what this means is that they'll see if the game can sell on the long run and decide then. Also I would think a deciding factor would be that if it is released this year it will probably be around fall, which means kingdom hearts 3d will eat it alive sales wise and they already lost enough money this past fiscal year so they're probably just being careful.

As I've pointed out in other threads, that's bad logic. A better way of seeing it is that the release of Kingdom Hearts and Fire Emblem at the same time will encourage a lot of RPG players to get a 3DS.

And Kingdom Hearts is coming out in July.

As I've pointed out in other threads, that's bad logic. A better way of seeing it is that the release of Kingdom Hearts and Fire Emblem at the same time will encourage a lot of RPG players to get a 3DS.

Yeah but when has Nintendo ever been logical?

Like releasing kid Icarus about a year after, when it was the launch title......

Facepalm

Entirely unrelated, but that briefing is actually quite interesting for the stats. Every region is quite different.

Japan: 3DS top seller, followed by the PS3, with the 360 non-existent.

North America: 360, PS3, 3DS (top 3)

Europe, PS3, 3DS, 360 (top 3)

Wii sales are low across the board, mostly on account of everyone having one already. Which caused the fact it's the first year they've ever lost money.

Hopefully the Wii U will bump them back up, because if $2 piece of crap throwaway smartphone games kills consoles, I will be very mad.

Yeah but when has Nintendo ever been logical?

Like releasing kid Icarus about a year after, when it was the launch title......

Facepalm

Eh? Kid Icarus wasn't a launch title. It was released in all regions within a week of each other. It was announced before launch, but they never planned it to be a launch title, pretty sure.

Edited by ZephyrShakuraus

Entirely unrelated, but that briefing is actually quite interesting for the stats. Every region is quite different.

Wii sales are low across the board, mostly on account of everyone having one already. Which caused the fact it's the first year they've ever lost money.

Hopefully the Wii U will bump them back up, because if $2 piece of crap throwaway smartphone games kills consoles, I will be very mad.

Eh? Kid Icarus wasn't a launch title. It was released in all regions within a week of each other. It was announced before launch, but they never planned it to be a launch title, pretty sure.

Maybe I could have phrased it better....

It was one of the first games te announced for the 3ds

And I don't think it made sense to advertise the console by showing a game still deep in development.....

Maybe. I'm wrong but still .

Ah my mistake , I thought it was coming out in September

And it's bad logic? please explain why? Because given what I had thought it's perfectly good logic to think that KH3D will outsell FE if they were released within the same time period and they would know that,they have people whose job is to know that.The fact is that your average rpg gamer would buy KH over FE most of the time.And no matter how many 3DS are sold none changes the low sales FE would have(compared to KH) , let's be real here games like FE,usually,

don't have long term market value and if it doesn't sell well the first few weeks it probably won't sell well in the long run which is what makes DLC an excellent idea for this game(although not executed as well as I had hoped).

But keep in mind that I was wrong about the release date of KH so that will never happen.Also if this game doesn't come to the US this year don't expect it until march 2013 (january is dead for releases,february is semi decent but most people are still broke from the holidays)

Edited by Velth

The fact they use the term "overseas" baffles me, because I'd have assumed that it would apply to Europe as well.

Why did I even take business Japanese this semester?

Anyways, they're probably literally translating.

海外

Remember, the Headquarters for Nintendo is in Japan... anything outside there is "overseas".

I still think it's a case of bad wording.

"Although we have not decided on a plan to release it overseas, we hope to further increase its sales."

Sound like they have several plans, just haven't decided.

You're reading into it too much.

Here's the way I'd say it:

ただ今、海外発売の予定の決済がありませんが・・・

As in "As of now, there has not been a decision yet (to release it overseas or not)..."

But considering how NoE got confirmation... they're just tiptoeing around the issue until they are ready to present cold hard facts.

If ANYTHING, that's what I learned from Business Japanese. They have a VERY different way of presenting crap than western companies to their customers.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Ah my mistake , I thought it was coming out in September

And it's bad logic? please explain why? Because given what I had thought it's perfectly good logic to think that KH3D will outsell FE if they were released within the same time period and they would know that,they have people whose job is to know that.

So what?

The fact is that your average rpg gamer would buy KH over FE most of the time.

The fact is that it is not a mutually exclusive choice.

But keep in mind that I was wrong about the release date of KH so that will never happen.Also if this game doesn't come to the US this year don't expect it until march 2013 (january is dead for releases,february is semi decent but most people are still broke from the holidays)

Well by your backwards logic, that makes january the best time to release games because there's no competition!

Aren't they also selling the 3DS at a loss?

Let us go to the source, then

また、一般的に、ゲーム熟練者向けタイトルというのは、初動中心で定番化は難しいとされていますが、先月、世界各地で発売しました『新・光神話 パルテナの鏡』は、プレイされたお客様の評価も非常に高く、これから、アクションゲームを好まれるお客様向けの定番ソフトの1つとして、その認知を確立させたいと考えています。

また、まだ、海外の発売予定は決まっていませんが、先週発売された『ファイアーエムブレム 覚醒』は、ゲームボーイアドバンス以降のプラットフォームでシリーズ最高の初動となっており、また、クラブニンテンドーでも、「久しぶりにこのシリーズを購入した」とおっしゃっているお客様の登録も多いことから、さらに販売を伸ばしたいと考えています。

また、まだ、海外の発売予定は決まっていませんが、

"Also, while our overseas release plans aren't decided yet..."

So yeah

Don't panic

Edited by TheEnd