Rate the Unit Day 1: FE5 Edition

Psych

I saw these for practically every other game, and I thought why not. Don't want FE5 left out of the fun.

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls have no impact on a unit's rating. Just because Marty can become awesome with scrolls does not mean his score should go up.

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Kickin' day 1 off with Leaf!

7/10

Light Sword gives good offense while you have it along with range, plus it can be used to heal. Pretty good strength and speed, no real glaring issues besides maybe with defenses. Unfortunately, has a late promotion and one that isn't very good. Does have Movement stars however, so allows a chance at moving more than once per turn to help seize.

Edited by Psych

Since this is my first rate the unit, I'll try my best to give reasoning. I'll also try my best to rate the units I haven't used. So get ready for a load of fail!

Kinda starts out weak but after a few level ups he can sure stand out. He was my MVP in the Manster Chapters. Leaf also has the most supports then any other character. The only downside of Leaf is his weak promotion, but other then that Leaf rocks!

8.5/10 +1 bias for being Leaf 9.5/10

I like Leaf. His bases suck ass, but he has the Light Sword and decent growths for this game. Seems to enjoy gaining movement levels and has movement stars, and can actually kick major ass during some Manster thanks to his sword. 7/10.

Also, what's the rule on scrolls? Because almost any unit can get good with those.

Edited by Agro

Also, what's the rule on scrolls? Because almost any unit can get good with those.

I'd wager probably the same as we've dealt with statboosters - some people ignore them, some people assume that if the unit has a modest claim to them they have them, and some people assume a unit gets all the statboosters and get their votes thrown out.

Obviously it's Psych's call, but that's how I'd see it most logically.

Average statwise and being your MVP for awhile till your other units catch up.

Edited by リンダ

He begins pretty badly (just look at those bases). But he has pretty descent growths and is there all the time, unlike every other character who was there in chapter 1. I make fun of him for being the weakest lord (mainly because of those lovely bases), but that's an exaggeration, since he actually turns pretty good later on in the game. Plus he can raise his own movement and might be able to automatically move again. Other than his bases, the only problem I have with Leaf is that his promotion happens a bit late for my taste, meaning he is often running around level 20 for some time in my game, while everyone else has most likely already promoted (since why wait to 20 in this game). But he's pretty cool overall, and gets a bias for being the cutest and most adorable lord yet.

8/10 + 1 bias = 9/10

Edited by Bee

I personally like to treat warpskip as just another playstyle. My votes tend to take into account several different playstyles so warpskip accounts for only a percentage of a unit's vote. I don't think it should be assumed universally, but I don't think it should be banned, either. Just like some people here assume casual, some assume efficient, and some assume ranked.

Anyway Leaf. Swordlock is not an issue in this game and he has the Light Sword which is pretty kickass. Late promotion is a bother, but at least the enemies suck enough that it's not too big of an issue. Pretty essential in many chapters and doesn't give a rat's ass about fatigue. Overall a solid unit. 8/10.

Edit: changed to 8 because I feel a few units worse than him does not necessarily warrant < 7 and Leaf is good enough to warrant an 8 anyway

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Then rate based on warpskip since that's your playstyle

It's just that it shouldn't be the universal rating standard for everyone but certainly it's a valid way to play

I mean fuck the game gives you like 5 bajillion of those staves if Psych wants to ban warpskip I will argue against that

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Supporting a lot of the cast, having your own 1-2 RNG weapon, being forced in every map and being immune to fatigue are really good perks for Leaf. His stats can be fixed with scrolls/rings, and by the time he promotes, scrolls shouldn't be in such a high demand.

Fun to use with Charge to drain ballistae shots easier without worrying about fatigue, plus it helps his offense a bit. Kinda wished he promoted to Master Knight for their innate Charge skill though.

7.5/10 seems like a fair rating.

Terrible Lord with terrible bases and needs to grow and forces you to get shitslammed in a dungeon 0/10.

He's never fatigued because he does nothing. Obviously this is a joke post.

Edited by Colonel M

for the future: it's a loooooot better if you put the name of the unit in the title

just sayin'

I'll only do it for the Units that are in both games, so just Leaf, Fin, Nanna, Sety, and Delmund. Otherwise it could potentially confuse some people.

Also I'm leaving this open till tomorrow since otherwise it wouldn't be a full day.

I like Leaf. His bases suck ass, but he has the Light Sword and decent growths for this game. Seems to enjoy gaining movement levels and has movement stars, and can actually kick major ass during some Manster thanks to his sword. 7/10.

Good idea, I'll probably edit the OP to make sure that scrolls have no impact on ratings.

what's the ruling on warpskip

It'll help units likes Safy with high staff rank, but no chapters will specifically be said to be skipped. So Nanna wouldn't score as high as Safy due to her staff rank in addition like other factors. At least, that's how I see it.