Soul's Maniac Mode playthrough

I was yearning to play this mode that, in my opinion, gave FE9 the finishing touch of difficulty it needed. "Hard Mode" just didn't cut it, so why just not go straight to "'Maniac' Mode" while we're at it. :smug:

Over two years ago, I began my MM blind playthrough log. It was fun, but I found myself too inexperinced for it, and I never finished it (I got to around Ch 17 and then the game crashed when I started the chapter, IIRC).

I'd like to restart this challenge, and at the same time, get back to FE and log my playthrough. For those of you who are curious about how MM is like, you'll get to see a bit more of it here.

Special thanks to shadowofchaos for the English path. Even though it is unecessary, it feels more comfterble playing this in English. Oh, and when I do a casual run, it'll help because I'll actually read most of the text.

Things I'll be looking for:

- I'll try to go for the lowest turncount I can achieve. Yes, I'll bust my a** on this, I'll restart liek crazy, but in the end, if I really can't get it, I'll just have to settle for something more feasible through normal means.

- I'l try to keep all my characters alive.

- This most likely isn't "effeciency" in it's purest essence, as I'll be using some mediocre (to possibly, outright bad) characters characters, and that means wasting some of my resources on them. But yes, I'll still be going as fast as I can.

Anyway, this is how it goes:

Prolgue

This is most likely pretty much the same in any mode, with the possible exception that Greil comes to get you on Turn 2 of Enemy Phase.

Unit      Level HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res   Support
Ike       2.47  20  6   1   7   7   7   6   0

4 turns.

Chapter 1

I had Ike and Oscar team up on the Fighter closest to the nearest house, and Oscar blocked the chokepoint on Canto. Titania sticked next to Ike in a position she would kill a few enemies in the way, making her way up to the boss. Boyd got the Steel sword and killed one of Oscar's remains. Oscar got me the Angelic Robe. Ike seizes.

Things to note: While not much of a difference, I recall there being slightly more enemies on the map- And of course, they're tougher.

Ike and Oscar are still doubling for just about the same damage.

Ike       2.80  20  6   1   7   7   7   6   0
Titania   1.22  33 12   4  13  14  11  11   7
Oscar     3.53  26  6   1   6   7   5   8   0
Boyd      2.34  30  7   0   4   6   4   5   0 

3 turns.

Chapter 2

To Hell with this chapter. It's horrendous...or at least it was, for me.

Look at it:

emu.png

Call me exaggerated, but to try to achieve a 4-turn strategy had me restarting this to no end. It's very clear the enemy quantity has increased, but what's more noticeable is the enemies' buff. Ike and Oscar (who double) double a few enemies for 6 Dmg, and they just need the Str procs to lose no AS from their weapons and thereby double more enemies and get them to the 4HKO range this requires, otherwise I see this taking a turn or two more. Boyd 3HKO's and is 2HKO'd back, I mainly put him on the defensive here.

Well, as for my strategy...I had them stick in the starting corner until Titania arrived. Until then, it was mostly Ike and Oscar pulling the weight. Titania can't 2HKO the Fighters (and maybe the Brigands) with the Iron Axe, so I had to stick with Steel all the way. She plowed the North-Eastern side as usual.

Ike       4.27  21  7   2   8   8   7   7   1
Titania   1.59  33 12   4  13  14  11  11   7
Oscar     4.80  26  7   1   6   8   6   9   1
Boyd      3.13  30  8   0   5   7   5   6   1 

Notes:

Enemy quantity increased by quite alot.

Enemies are pretty well-buffed.

5 turns.

Chapter 3

This chapter has been alot easier than I remembered.

Titania just plowed to the ship straightaway on Turn 1. Ike, Shinon and Gatrie followed behind, sticking together in a defensive position mostly favoriting Ike's protection- As usual, Shinon and Gatrie can live to die another day. Titania killed the Fighter with the obtainable Hand Axe and attacked the boss on Turn 3 and ended it on Enemy Phase.

Gatrie got me an Exilir.

Ike       4.40  21  7   2   8   8   7   7   1
Titania   1.95  33 12   4  13  14  11  11   7
Shinon    1.08  32  9   6  15  13   9   9   6
Gatrie    9.40  31 12   0   6   5   5  14   0

Note: I didn't know of a possible way to recruit Marcia without costing me a turn or two, so I just let her go because I'll know she cost me more later on- Well, more turns that I can put up for in her recruiting chapter, anyway. -_-

By the way, the enemies here seem weaker. Titania can 1RKO most of them with the Iron Axe.

3 turns.

Chapter 4

I don't have the image here, but IIRC, the enemy number here is bigger as well.

So starting Turn 1, I had trouble finding a right place for Rhys and Soren to stick so they aren't vulnerable...but no, it just seems that on Turn 1, every enemy corners you- So I had to stick with the lesser of two evils, and that was finding a relatively safe place for them to get attacked by either one enemy they could survive.

Shinon attacks the Myrmidon next to the bush so Gatrie can finish it off, thereby standing in a chokepoint that wouldn't let the enemies get to Soren. Soren attacks the Soldier up to the other corner and has Ike stick next to him so he can finish it off at Enemy Phase. Now, this strategy was reliant of have Rhys only dodge a single axe, which wasn't too hard to be honest...and that's what he did. Then it ran smoothly from there. Titania just went for the boss and 2RKO'd him on both phases of Turn 2.

I had some trouble at first finding the right positition that would allow Titania to get to the boss by Turn 2. It was just trial and error by having Titania get her way blocked by the enemies.

It's a relatively easy chapter, it's just that you have to know of the way to do it...and as far as I know, you may have to bet on your luck when it comes to Rhys.

Ike       4.64  21  7   2   8   8   7   7   1
Titania   2.73  34 13   4  14  14  11  11   7
Shinon    1.17  32  9   6  15  13   9   9   6
Gatrie    9.79  31 12   0   6   5   5  14   0
Soren     1.72  18  0   6   8   8   5   2   7

2 turns.

Edited by Soul

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ There is half as much Bexp in MM compared to HM. Even with chapter 10 Stealth, there isnt enough Bexp to promote Marcia for chapter 12. Not to mention, several hundred would need to go to the other units like Oscar, Boyd, Ike, etc.

I would imagine that Jill would be much better for LTC/efficiency than Marcia on MM.

Jill might be better than Marcia, but I'd go with Marcia. Marcia is invincible till late game after a bexp dump regardless, and unlike Jill she can be shoved.

Anyway this is an interesting topic. Makes me want to try it out myself, though my laptop can barely run Runescape at low graphics as it is...

Edited by Aeine

Well, as has been stated before, there isn't much BEXP to go around for Marcia to just take it all. And IMO, Jill outclasses in just about anything except Spd and Res, which isn't much of a problem when Jill will be doubling anyway.

If you guys want more detail, just ask.

Well, as has been stated before, there isn't much BEXP to go around for Marcia to just take it all. And IMO, Jill outclasses in just about anything except Spd and Res, which isn't much of a problem when Jill will be doubling anyway.

If you guys want more detail, just ask.

Yes there is. Just don't give anyone exp other than Marcia. That's the most efficient thing to do.

I made this post a few months ago:

Marcia vs. Jill:

1. Marcia contributes to 3-turning Chapter 10 without promoted Oscar.

2. How can Marcia's contributions to Chapter 11 be replicated by Jill or Tanith? They don't even exist. Your LTC strategies list 2 different 3 turns: one requiring Marcia and one requiring 2 Paladins.

3. Marcia saves 3 turns in Chapter 12, as you said.

4. Jill can't be shoved in Chapter 14 since you don't have the Demi Band, so she can't be replaced by Marcia. It has to be done by someone else, like a Paladin.

5. Promoted Jill can't ORKO Muarim, which prevents us from getting the pacifism exp. Your thread says that if Jill is promoted and doesn't have 16 AS, it's possible to get the pacifism bexp. However, Jill on average has 16 speed at level 1 promoted, ignoring the fact that she'd likely be at level 5 or so if she were trained. Jill can't let us get pacifism bexp, Marcia can.

6. Marcia saves one turn in Chapter 17-2, as you said once again.

7. Jill can't double the ravens in Chapter 18, which actually costs us a turn if she gets used (since she'd get targeted by ravens, and would have to use the inaccurate Laguz weapons).

8. Jill can't one round Homasa, so that's 1 turn in Marcia's favor right there.

9. Jill can't double Ena, and the only way to 4-turn this chapter is to either get a crit or double hit Ena with a siege tome user. And Ena has gigantic resistance, with base Calill doing only 5 damage I believe. Marcia saves us a turn from Chapter 21 over Jill.

10. Jill can't double Petrine, and Petrine has gigantic resistance. In fact, Jill has 44 might at level 15 promoted, and she only does 22 damage to Petrine. Petrine would have 19 hp and 18 res left. One would have to use two siege tome uses to finish off Petrine, as opposed to one. And I don't think Reyson can reach the siege tome user in this chapter. In fact, Jill needs two Speedwings just to double her, which seems like an awful waste.

11. Jill does a little better in Chapter 25, though a 3-turn is still possible with Marcia.

12. Jill has to be level 19 promoted to double Bertram without the Speedwings.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread with efficiency stuff. Just do what you enjoy.

Edited by Aeine

Well, your run was made in Hard Mode. Can't say it'd be the same in MM.

And, "derail this thread any further with effeciency stuff"? This run is supposed to be kind of effecient, even though I'm not BEXP-dumping Marcia.

By the way, mang, excellent job on that turncount. I am almost regretting I didn't recruit Marcia...we'll just see what happens. I really hope I won't regret it.

Edited by Soul

Well, your run was made in Hard Mode. Can't say it'd be the same in MM.

And, "derail this thread any further with effeciency stuff"? This run is supposed to be kind of effecient, even though I'm not BEXP-dumping Marcia.

By the way, mang, excellent job on that turncount. I am almost regretting I didn't recruit Marcia...we'll just see what happens. I really hope I won't regret it.

It's probably similar. HM boss stats are the same as MM except Oliver. And lol Oliver.

This whole Marcia thing is spiraling out of control just like it has with Mia and with Jill, the experience within MM is minimal and although Marcia may be invincible until late game after promoted guess what she isn't going to promote anywhere near as fast and if you decide to use a master seal on her then ok great, but she isn't going to be doing all that stuff like 1 hitting Muarim or 1 hitting Petrine so again I ask what's the point? I could get past all this if it was possible in the short time period if it wasn't for the how under leveled this is going to make units like Ike and Oscar and Kieran who desperately need BEXP.

What is the point in buffing up Marcia so much that every other unit (Apart from Titania) can't defend themselves if more than two or three enemy units show up?

Aeine, While I agree that Marcia is much better than Jill on HM, several of your points in that post are either false or due only to sand-bagging Jill.

And Marcia needs roughly 1600 Bexp to promote in time to 3 turn Chapter 11, (since the unpromoted Marcia strategy I used would be impossible on MM). There is only 1050-1100 Bexp up to that point. And there is only 1350 Bexp before the start of Chapter 12. Still not enough to promote Marcia for the 2 turn of Chapter 12.

Stealth on Chapter 10 would give us enough Bexp to promote Marcia, but that would add like 6 or more turns to the Chapter 10 clear.

So yeah, Jill > Marcia on MM.

Marcia cant save the usual turns she saves on Chapters 11 and 12.

Marcia costs 4 turns Jill costs just 1.

2 turn of 17-2 isnt possible for Marcia since both Oscar and Kieran need to be promoted.

With the Chapter 2 speedwings and proper leveling with a SPD increasing band Jill will double every relevant enemy, so doubling isn't an issue.

Other than Chapter 14 (which we can use Titania for the Jill team), Jill and Marcia will pretty much be the same unit from Chapter 13 on. Except there will be tougher enemies, and more of them, making Jill's durability advantage pretty significant. How exactly is Marcia better than Jill?

^ What is it, a 5 turn clear? Assuming Jill cant even save 1 turn with a maxed iron lance forge it makes it a wash. Jill costs 3 less turns to recruit and Marcia saves 3 turns. So... recruiting them both would only cost 1 turn vs. picking just 1 of them. Im pretty sure going with both would be better in the long run...

edit: either way, im done theory crafting for Maniac mode since i've never played it before.

Edited by Hawk King

why me? i've never played MM before past chapter 3

Oh...I thought you did. I was looking for some turncounts to achieve.

no one said that marcia has to be BEXP plowed to promotion to be useful. she can still be very good.

How can she still be very good? I assume you mean that you can still appreciate her flier utility for Rescue/Dropping shenanigans.

edit: either way, im done theory crafting for Maniac mode since i've never played it before.

I assume Marciaxrolf is also theorycrafting on the matter, so it's possible you guys are on the same grounds.

Aeine, While I agree that Marcia is much better than Jill on HM, several of your points in that post are either false or due only to sand-bagging Jill.

And Marcia needs roughly 1600 Bexp to promote in time to 3 turn Chapter 11, (since the unpromoted Marcia strategy I used would be impossible on MM). There is only 1050-1100 Bexp up to that point. And there is only 1350 Bexp before the start of Chapter 12. Still not enough to promote Marcia for the 2 turn of Chapter 12.

Stealth on Chapter 10 would give us enough Bexp to promote Marcia, but that would add like 6 or more turns to the Chapter 10 clear.

So yeah, Jill > Marcia on MM.

I didn't claim everything for HM was true for MM; all I did was quote the post. What Marcia has over Jill is the ability to double a bunch of bosses: all Jill would be able to do is get one hit on them. Marcia has the boss kills and chapter 12 over Jill. That's like what, 10 turns?

Removed.

The FUCK?? There is no way you can tell someone to get a life right after posting this.

And no Marcia is not as great in MM. I've been finding it difficult to use Jill much less Marcia in MM because there's not enough BEXP to make them better. Then again I'm taking this mode kinda slow...

Also what boss kill in chapter 11 or 12? There's nowhere near as much BEXP in this mode as others, and I think it's a terrible idea to save it for Marcia because other units need it. To put it in perspective, Titania is close to death a lot in the first 10 chapters when she goes solo, so letting her go solo just for Marcia is not a great idea.

Edited by eCut

Let's not derail this, please.

Anyway, progress is slow, so here you have Ch 5:

Chapter 5

Another chapter I had to restart like crazy because things went unexpectedly...

So here's the deal. Titania and Oscar took the frontline at the main entrance while Soren and Rhys stayed behind for back up. The rest of the team guarded the other entrance and I took this advantage to train Boyd.

Ike       5.39  22  7   2   9   9   8   7   2
Titania   3.27  35 13   4  14  15  12  12   8
Soren     3.19  19  0   8   8   8   6   2   8
Oscar     6.39  27  8   2   6   9   6  10   2
Boyd      5.28  32 10   0   5   9   5   8   2

Note: So many cavalry units make this annoying for Oscar whose durability isn't exactly great.

6 turns.

if what lord raven said is true, then that's an even better case for marcia because she can reach super-flier status faster than jill due to higher spd

Dondon. no disrespect but...

no disrespect indeed, not when you just diarrhea'd insults all over the place like a drunk guy taking an enema. jesus christ, i guess i hit a nerve with the grammar comment...

Edited by dondon151