Chapter 5x can be completed in 6 turns

It was previously thought to be impossible by the LTC community so I thought I would share my findings.

Here is the turn-by-turn strategy. Make sure to go to "Restart Chapter" to reset the RNG.

Turn 1

E kill Soldr with St Lnc

F move below E, trade Jav to E

O trade St Lnc to F, rescue F, move up

K take F, trade Iron Sw to O, drop F up

Turn 2

E crit Fighter with Regin

O miss Merc with Slv Sw

K trades to equip E with Jav, rescue O, move up

F take O, trade so F has St Lnc and O has Iron Sw equip, drop O up

Turn 3

E kill Merc with St Lnc

K rescue E, move ahead

F take E, trade for Jav, equip St Lnc, use vulner

O take E, trade and equip St Lnc from E, drop E right, move down

Turn 4 - burn 4 RNs*

E crit Fighter

K rescue E, go down

F attack Monk

O go down, equip Iron Sw

Turn 5

K give E to O, trade for O's stuff leave only St Lnc, kill Shaman

F attack Monk

O goes ahead, drop E up

Turn 6

F kill Monk

K attack Archer with Iron Sw

O kill boss

E trade, seize

*I burned as few #s as possible.

excellent work

what was the barrier before? i don't know a lot about fe8 but just counting the squares it looks possible enough that i'm surprised nobody's managed it before

probably laziness i hate that chapter personally

@ Banzai - No one used the word "cool" until you so I don't know why you said "also cool". I also fail to see how that is relevant at all. 4 turning Chapter 13 HHM has been common knowledge for awhile.

That being said, welcome back from your hiatus Banzai. It's good to see you here.

@ Cam - idk why it was never found before. I guess the rescue-drops on turns 1 and 2 was never tried before? Cuz after that Orson can clearly reach the throne by turn 6. Maybe I just found an extremely lucky set of RNs. Ephriam does dodge 11 out of 12 attacks/ counter-attacks against him in this strategy. Although, most people play with an emulator so you would think someone would have abused the RNG until Ephriam dodged everything... Idk, I just know that for the past ~2 years Forde and Kyle were thought to be incapable of cutting a turn. Because of that Myth, apparently no one even bothered to try for 6 turns and just sent the cavs to get the swag instead.

Edited by Hawk King

@ Banzai - No one used the word "cool" until you so I don't know why you said "also cool". I also fail to see how that is relevant at all. 4 turning Chapter 13 HHM has been common knowledge for awhile.

That being said, welcome back from your hiatus Banzai. It's good to see you here.

I said the word cool, because I think it's cool

Nice find, though I'm not sure if I want to use a strat which burns RNs (though pretty much everyone does it in Prologue when playing any Sethless run). If the burning of the 4 RNs is necessary for Ephraim to crit the Fighter on turn 4, can't he 2HKO with Reginleif while dodging (shouldn't be too unlikely I believe) for the same outcome?

I guess you miss out on the Killer Lance but that's not a huge deal considering the only turn-saving crits (at least 3 of them in the game iirc) are done with 1-2 range, and your blessed bosskiller should be doing fine without the lance (Seth can employ the edge, as can a good promoted Franz I think).

I do recall trying to use the full move available when I was figuring the map out on my earlier LTC runs, but Ephraim kept dying and with 4 units the RNG manipulation w/o rigging was very limited, so I couldn't achieve that. I think I wasn't as good at FE at the time too, but on subsequent runs I just replicated the same 7-turn strat that obtains the Killer Lance and gets nice levels for Eph/Kyle (I always prioritise him over Forde on my runs).

Hawk King, have you considered figuring out similar strats for FE6 HM? The game makes *maximum* efficiency a living hell for various reasons (mostly enemies clogging up your way to the gate but also difficulty of ORKOing).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbSv8zSDR9c3vj1RXIk9W-faGdOqtg8LK

Here is a run I began a while ago that's unfinished (I got up to C17 technically but I wanted to redo C16 for Narshen's Red Gem (obtained in a 6-turn together with Hugh's Member card, the Delphi Shield, Rescue and Zeiss, which was possible according to my plan but it's been many months since I last even looked at the map) and I haven't returned to it yet) and I'm positive plenty of its turn counts can be improved. If I could have changed some of the "decisions" made there, I'd give Thany and Roy more/better level-ups, because training Lance/Alan turned out to be a waste of time (no access to killers until promotion, inferior performance to Marcus/Zealot, then being made superfluous by Miledy/Percival joining); however, on HM Thany has neither the stats nor the weaponry (I can't exactly rig really inaccurate 3% crits on every boss and possibly not just the bosses) to bosskill (or even ORKO just about anything) so the game's speedruns/TASes make poor guidelines for "limited tool/RNG control" efficiency runs.

You know whats also cool, you can 4 turn Ch 13 HHM

We currently still need to figure out how to get Marcus to occupy the southeasternmost deployment square on the map to make a far more reliable 4-turn clear by bosskilling with Guy's Killing Edge.

@ Epinosa

Im not sure how familiar you are with burning #s. By burning #s you can tell if #s will be <50 or >50, then as long as you dont take an action you can reset the game and go to resume to bring the #s back to where they were when you started burning.

At the start of turn 4, like 11 of the next 14 #s are below 50. So in order to have Ephriam kill without criting or taking an axe to the face you need to burn 11 #s, which was the 1st strat I did. Since I could predict #s >50 I decided to check them all since it makes his 15% displayed crit actually have 30% chance of happening. Burning 2 #s gets a crit but he died on turn 5. Burning 4 #s worked so I didnt bother checking the rest.

If you don't burn #s, Ephriam is left with 7 HP and has to face 5-6 enemies. There may be a strat that works with different positioning on turn 3 but I dont play on an emulator and I dont have enough patience to try.

I've never played FE6, no emulator. I will have one soon though. When I do I will check out some LTC.

Edited by Hawk King

I'm familiar with it instinctively I suppose, through trial and error, but I don't really have the means to look into the RN but I may not enjoy doing a run where I have unlimited control over the thing.

Anyway, your explanation is more than understandable, thanks.

I guess the problem with move-by-move strategies for other GBA games/chapters, aside from the first ones, is that your units need to be in specific shape - meaning namely preceding actions. e.g. a Thany with 13 AS and not 14 AS will fail to double an enemy and the RNs will line up in a different way from before, hindering the replication of the strategy, or even more minute things such as a weapon breaking when it doesn't on somebody else's file (managing this can be difficult) or that the experience was divided differently the previous chapter (levelling up at a different time than planned messes up your very specific strat). So after the first chapter, only continuous run strategies are fully replicable.

UPDATE:

If Forde equips the Javelin he takes from Ephriam on turn 3, only 1 # needs to be burned at the start of turn 4. Identical outcomes will occur except for an extra round of combat Exp for Forde.

I personally have no problems with burning #s, so im really happy with a strategy that burns just 1 and gets Ephriam 4 kick-ass LV ups. (4 HP, 3 STR, 4 SKL, 2 SPD, 2 LUK, 2 DEF, 0 RES)