A cleaner, more efficient way to change default options in FE7

Brendor

A while back,MarkyJoe1990 wrote a routine that changes the default options from a new file; while it works, it's sort of clunky and awkward as it requires the routine to be pasted somewhere and called separately through events. I found the bit of code that sets the default option value. Open up your hex editor and go to 0x2DFCA, there you should see 02 40, change these values to XX 22 to set a new default value for the options where XX is the value you want to be stored. Here are some notes on how to pick the value you want.

GAME SPEED: 0x80

TEXT SPEED: 0x20

AUTOCURSOR: 0x10

UNITCOLOR: 0x1

OR each value for each selection to the right(the leftmost option is 0 by default)

eg:TEXT SPEED Slow -> Normal: OR 0x20 Normal -> Fast: OR 0x40 remember to take the first OR into account

Fast = OR 0x40 because the leftmost option(Slow)=0 and you OR 0x20 for each selection to the righ

*Note*-the default value for 0x202BC38 is 0x20(see if you can figure out what that means and why that's significant)

my default is 0xD0; that makes GAME SPEED = Fast(OR 0x80),TEXT SPEED = Fast(OR 0x40), and AUTOCURSOR = OFF(OR 0x10)

you can use this if you don't feel like doing math

Quick aside on UNITCOLOR: this option turns individual palettes ON and OFF, if you OR 0x1, you will turn the option off meaning that all player characters will have generic palettes(only player characters are affected). Because this option can't be reached by the player normally, if you decide to turn the option off the player will be stuck with no palettes unless the memory is edited. I plan to release a way to include this option in the option screen soon.

I made a separate topic that fixes this so don't worry about it

If that explanation went over your head, you can use 0xD0 or ask here or in the hacking questions section. This directly edits the code that assigns the default value so there's no need to add and call external code and is much cleaner, easier to work with and space efficient.

Enjoy!

Edited by Brendor

I made a separate topic on how to include the player palette option into the options menu so you can now freely turn the option off(OR 0x1) without leaving the player stuck with that option forever.

Edit: Oh shit! A personal inviation from Archibald himself. What an honour.

You can add my stuff to your collection if you want just maintain credit.

Also thank you Alex for helping me de-noob myself

Edited by Brendor

Actually what I meant was you should start hoarding your notes like Cam and I do and then put them online in a place that can be found easily, possibly with a link to it in your sig.

Edit: Oh shit! A personal inviation from Archibald himself. What an honour.

You can add my stuff to your collection if you want just maintain credit.

If you make an account I can "impersonate" you to port your stuff over.

If you make an account I can "impersonate" you to port your stuff over.

I did; username is the same as here.

Actually what I meant was you should start hoarding your notes like Cam and I do and then put them online in a place that can be found easily, possibly with a link to it in your sig.

I don't have anywhere near as many notes as that though. Besides the thing for this and the UNITCOLOR I have rescue notes for FE7 and FE8 and thats about it

• 2 months later...