Fire Emblem If: Pre-download Info

Kirokan

Hi everyone, I'm currently pre-downloading the game, and thought to pass on some info for those who are thinking of importing via download:

For those who may not know what pre-downloading is, you basically download the near-full game in advance, and on release day download a small update to make it playable. This is to save time on release day. A handy feature that other services implement but Nintendo has been doing more recently.

I assume everyone knows the process to find the game (currently right on the front page). But if not, check spoiler tags below!

Go to eShop. Simply click the Fire Emblem IF picture, then go to the non video one that has the 5076 yen amount listed, then click the blue button at the bottom.

The payment prompt will appear. If you don't have enough funds, foreign credit cards do work. You can pay necessary amount on the button below the four preset options (500, 1000, etc), and just say "ok!"

Enter relevant card information, and then it will take you to purchase screen.

Push blue button, then blue button again. The last two buttons are "download now" and "later" (left and right respectively), so choose whichever you want! Have fun!

Cero C (Ages 15+)

Cost: 5076 Yen (~ 40.90 USD)

Block size: 24666 (~3.083 GB)

EDIT: Interesting, on the SD card it says 12,239. Yet eshop still says 24666. Perhaps that is the full size of both games?

Remember that the download version will ask you to make a choice and lock you out of the other path presumably until you download the other path as DLC for an additional half price cost.

EDIT:

In contrast, Awakening was:

Cero B (Ages 12+)

Block size: 8579 (~1.072 GB)

Edited by Kirokan

Just curious if any of you are supposedly buying/download the other path, how much space is it taking up?

Like for example, buy one path and the other path you buy/download is it going to be 1mb or another 3GB size etc?

Thank you for the handy info. I'll have to uninstall my Pokémon game on my Japanese 3DS later, but I've got to move my A-team to my European one.

Are there any benefits to pre-downloading the game other than just having it available the day of the release?

Thank you for the handy info. I'll have to uninstall my Pokémon game on my Japanese 3DS later, but I've got to move my A-team to my European one.

Are there any benefits to pre-downloading the game other than just having it available the day of the release?

At the moment there does not seem to be any real bonus with it. So it is mostly just for convenience. In the importer's case saves on shipping cost and massively on time and server headaches.

Just curious if any of you are supposedly buying/download the other path, how much space is it taking up?

Like for example, buy one path and the other path you buy/download is it going to be 1mb or another 3GB size etc?

I'll check the page again after the download is done, but I do not think I saw any alternate downloads. I wonder if both paths are there and the other simply "locks" until you get the DLC to unlock it?

A preload this early? Dang, that seems kinda weird.

Wonder what the two game total size will be. Glad I got a 64GB for my Gateway :)

Indeed, I have a 16 GB card, so it should be sufficient. People can find 16 - 32 GB SD cards for cheap.

Edited by Kirokan

I've never bothered getting a different SD card...maybe I should now. Too bad I'm too busy for a few days since I'd really like to have the game safe and sound on my 3DS while I wait. Somehow I think it would make the wait easier for me.

I'll check the page again after the download is done, but I do not think I saw any alternate downloads. I wonder if both paths are there and the other simply "locks" until you get the DLC to unlock it?

I remember reading somewhere that if you buy the digital version then you download only the first 6 chapters, when you make your choice it takes to a downbload page for the selected route, and you can buy the second one as DLC. Not sure if that is the correct procedure

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the digital version is just for the first 6 chapters, then you have to initiate a download for the rest.

Is the "download of the rest" just an unlock key like we guessed before? o__o

3 GB is about the size of Awakening, right? I don't think 6 chapters worth of content will use up that much space...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the digital version is just for the first 6 chapters, then you have to initiate a download for the rest.

Is the "download of the rest" just an unlock key like we guessed before? o__o

3 GB is about the size of Awakening, right? I don't think 6 chapters worth of content will use up that much space...

Nah, Awakening was slightly over a gig.

Nah, Awakening was slightly over a gig.

Indeed, so I think you get the majority of the game here, but are limited to six chapters and have to get an unlock "key" when you select your route. As it is roughly twice the size of Awakening and such. But probably not another 3 GB download.

EDIT: I put Awakening's block size and such on the main post to compare. Also the Cero rating differs.

Edited by Kirokan

Ok, that actually makes a lot more sense then. When you buy the digital version you basically are downloading the whole game but have to unlock half of it buy paying for it.

With nintendo removing the booklets from the pakages of games nowadays, is there any reason to buy the physical copies? other than having the nice packagings. It would be more expensive to buy both copies than to buy only 1 and add the second route as DLC.

Hopefully we will get a localized version that includes the two paths, like the special edition for Japan, albeit at an increased priced, I'd be willing to get that one instead.

Damn, the game's already out for those who want to buy the digital version? The hype is killing me.

That said, will you share your impressions on the game?

Ok, that actually makes a lot more sense then. When you buy the digital version you basically are downloading the whole game but have to unlock half of it buy paying for it.

With nintendo removing the booklets from the pakages of games nowadays, is there any reason to buy the physical copies? other than having the nice packagings. It would be more expensive to buy both copies than to buy only 1 and add the second route as DLC.

Hopefully we will get a localized version that includes the two paths, like the special edition for Japan, albeit at an increased priced, I'd be willing to get that one instead.

Even for physical copies, you can download the other path as half price DLC, I believe. : ) It is just if you want both boxes that you would have to purchase both separately.

Indeed, for an importer, a download edition is superior (faster, cheaper due to lack of shipping, etc). However, for a collector, even without a manual, I suppose they would still want the box and such.

Damn, the game's already out for those who want to buy the digital version? The hype is killing me.

It is just the pre-download, it is still not available to play until June 25th 12 AM JST : ) This way we don't have to download it on said day and wait another hour or so for the download, or more if the servers get tied up.

Edited by Kirokan

It's not out to play, but to start downloading.

I'll be hawking the scene release sites for word of the game getting dumped and uploaded. You'll probably hear about it on the forums shortly after.

^ I agree with you, Kirokan, it is faster and easier and cheaper, my problem is that either way I have to import the game, even when released in the west. wether through a retailer or by myself from the USA.

Hopefully someone in my country will stock the game on the release day becasue I don't want to wait to import the game from the USA, that would take 2 weeks and I'd hate waiting for the tame that long if that happens I will most likely end up buying the digital copies, unless an special edition comes out, in that case i'm fine with waiting the tame it takes

^ I agree with you, Kirokan, it is faster and easier and cheaper, my problem is that either way I have to import the game, even when released in the west. wether through a retailer or by myself from the USA.

Hopefully someone in my country will stock the game on the release day becasue I don't want to wait to import the game from the USA, that would take 2 weeks and I'd hate waiting for the tame that long if that happens I will most likely end up buying the digital copies, unless an special edition comes out, in that case i'm fine with waiting the tame it takes

That's a real shame... I know how you feel as before coming to the United States I was raised in a not so gaming friendly country xD It would take about that long to come to retailers (but ironically games on other platforms would break street date all the time... so just not Nintendo games)

I recommend to continue downloading, and perhaps if you really want, simply import the box only to add to a collection : )

Edited by Kirokan

Actually that is a good idea, I recall seeing people selling the boxes in ebay, There has been only one time that a game released here the same day as in the US, and that was for Pokémon ORAS, but I had make a line all morning and it had been a pre order, but pkmn is more common here than FE, I only know 1 guy that plays it but he has pretty much only play FE6,7 and 8 and that's it so I don't think it will be released on day 1 here, I'll ask around though but if it does not happen then I will go with digitals

Oh, sure. I just couldn't find any reason why they'd allow people to download the game, but not play it before the release date, since it is already finished anyway. The product's practically already there and available.

Actually that is a good idea, I recall seeing people selling the boxes in ebay, There has been only one time that a game released here the same day as in the US, and that was for Pokémon ORAS, but I had make a line all morning and it had been a pre order, but pkmn is more common here than FE, I only know 1 guy that plays it but he has pretty much only play FE6,7 and 8 and that's it so I don't think it will be released on day 1 here, I'll ask around though but if it does not happen then I will go with digitals

Indeed! I see the boxes being sold all the time, and they make an excellent addition for a small price to conveniently play as fast as possible / without the need of shipping/visiting a store, yet still add to your collection. : ) I hope it helps.

Oh, sure. I just couldn't find any reason why they'd allow people to download the game, but not play it before the release date, since it is already finished anyway. The product's practically already there and available.

Probably to build up enough physical product to be sold. I remember for Windwaker HD they allowed people who were downloading it to play two weeks earlier, but that's the only game I know they've done that with to date.

I am sure there are plenty of business reasons in there that we may not understand. Or that's what I like to think, anyway. xD

Block size: 24666 (~3.083 GB)

Was your download really 24666 blocks? I pre-loaded the game right now, and my download was 1602940928 bytes (~1.5 GB) -- significantly smaller than the ~3 GB you're listing.

(It's possible that the pre-load only loads the content not specific to either White Kingdom or Black Kingdom, and the remaining ~1.5 GB is downloaded as DLC when you get to the relevant parts of the game.)

Edited by SciresM

Was your download really 24666 blocks? I pre-loaded the game right now, and my download was 1602940928 bytes (~1.5 GB) -- significantly smaller than the ~3 GB you're listing.

(It's possible that the pre-load only loads the content not specific to either White Kingdom or Black Kingdom, and the remaining ~1.5 GB is downloaded as DLC when you get to the relevant parts of the game.)

I came back to post about this! So the eshop says 24666, but the SD card says just 12,239. I guess it "reserves" that space for the other path? I'm not quite sure myself! I added it to the original post.

Can you guys kindly make a thread with spoilers? Like tell us more about the story, the characters and the supports? Are you guys all playing this on 25 June?

I intend to translate the menus and such to let other non-Japanese speaking/reading importers to play it, but story may take a lot of work. I may do character profiles and recruitment methods (if it's more complicated than Awakening's was, that is), but not sure if more than that!

Edited by Kirokan

The size you've listed there has me genuinely worried that I won't be able to buy the Nohr path as DLC simply because I won't have room on my little 2gb card. I had planned to buy the Hoshido version as a physical copy and then download Nohr and the third path, having assumed that my nearly empty card would be able to hold it (I have something like 11k blocks left since I barely use it). Can someone who's more informed on these things tell me if that's likely to still be possible? I don't know if the size required might somehow be smaller if you have the physical copy already or something.

I really hope I'll be able to get the whole game, but I don't intend to go through the troubles of trying to get a new card or anything else. If I can't get it all on my 2gb card then I'll just go without. That or hope they release a combined physical version that doesn't sell out in seconds.

Edited by capmalachi

A new, larger SD card does not cost too much at all, but I understand if you do not wish to get a new one.

Indeed, we will not know the DLC size for sure until June 25th. Either way, however, it sounds like 11k may not be enough, as the minimum size here is 12,239.