Some names you expect future Fire Emblem characters to have?

Wotter Batle

4 minutes ago, genesis said:

Nicolas - and its female variations Nicole

There is...kind of a Nicolas. One of the Leinster generals in Thracia 776 uses that name. But it might be an invention of the Lil Manster patch to make recruiting Xavier easier. There is also Nichol, a playable boss from Fates, which I assume is pronunced like Nicole, even though it's a guy.

7 minutes ago, genesis said:

Philip - a good name for a Knight

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Philip

9 minutes ago, genesis said:

Zachary / Zack

There's a Zakson, who is probably called Zack by his close friends.

Liam

A Fates capturable unit goes by that name.

Michael / Mike - I know theres Mikhail and a random villain with this name. But no playable Mike? Come on...

There's Michalis, which is kind of similar. Though it feels like he'd pimp anyone who dared to call him Mick.

Christian - and its variations Christopher or the female versions Christina, Kristen, Christa

We get pretty close to that with Christophe, Lord Lonato's son killed by Catherine.

Jack / Jackson

One of the Holy War Arena enemies is Jackson

Cam / Cameron

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Cameron

Genuinely might be the most forgettable boss this side of Thracia. It's a toss up between him and Roberts.

Adalbert, Albrecht (I´m guessing Albert is the english variation), Leopold, Ernst, Gottfried, Werner, Hartmann, Egon, Klemens, Karl, Maximilian, Demetrius, Ludwig, Wilhelm, Ruprecht, Hans, Peter, Ulrich, Wilhelm/-ina, Andrea/-s

Agnes, Elisabeth, Gertrude, Theodor/-a, Margarethe (Margaret?), Hedwig, Eleonore, Isabella, Silvia (since we´ve already had a Rhea)

Have we had an Aurelia yet? I mean, there is Aurelis, which isn´t a character, but no Aurelia to my knowledge.

Edit: Kornelius, Francesco (I´m guessing Franz), Ladislaus, Olga, Boris, Vivianne

Edited by Imuabicus der Fertige

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

There is...kind of a Nicolas. One of the Leinster generals in Thracia 776 uses that name. But it might be an invention of the Lil Manster patch to make recruiting Xavier easier. There is also Nichol, a playable boss from Fates, which I assume is pronunced like Nicole, even though it's a guy.

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Philip

There's a Zakson, who is probably called Zack by his close friends.

A Fates capturable unit goes by that name.

There's Michalis, which is kind of similar. Though it feels like he'd pimp anyone who dared to call him Mick.

We get pretty close to that with Christophe, Lord Lonato's son killed by Catherine.

One of the Holy War Arena enemies is Jackson

https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Cameron

Genuinely might be the most forgettable boss this side of Thracia. It's a toss up between him and Roberts.

Thank you for the info. Lets be honest. Most of all those characters are forgetable lore info or villains that few remember, and nipticking a bit they dont fit the exact classic spellings, they arent afraid of using variations of the same name of even repeating the unnecessary same names like Arthur, Selena, Hilda, Thomas. Claud and Claude, Lene, Lana, Tina and Tine, Fred and Frederick..... Michalis is actually a common  greek name and the surname of a common writer, even If they have the same origins I think they can be considered different names like John, Juan and Johnny, or Peter, Pierre, Pedro and Petros for example. That said Mikhail though could have been translated as Michael, so maybe this is one out of possiblity. A pity they wasted the name Liam in a nobody without proper relevant story and supports, but at least he is playable. 

But I can see easily a playable Jack Instead of Jackson, a proper Nicolas or Nicole, a proper Zackary or Zack in a major role,  and a Philippe or Felipe, which is slightly different form Philip. Even a Philippa as a Pegasus rider could work as well. 

Edited by genesis

5 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Adalbert, Albrecht (I´m guessing Albert is the english variation), Leopold, Ernst, Gottfried, Werner, Hartmann, Egon, Klemens, Karl, Maximilian, Demetrius, Ludwig, Wilhelm, Ruprecht, Hans, Peter, Ulrich, Wilhelm/-ina, Andrea/-s

Agnes, Elisabeth, Gertrude, Theodor/-a, Margarethe (Margaret?), Hedwig, Eleonore, Isabella, Silvia (since we´ve already had a Rhea)

Have we had an Aurelia yet? I mean, there is Aurelis, which isn´t a character, but no Aurelia to my knowledge.

Edit: Kornelius, Francesco (I´m guessing Franz), Ladislaus, Olga, Boris, Vivianne

Theres a playable Franz in Sacred Stones. He is an Young Knight, brother of Forde. Though no Francesco or Fracis yet.

Theres a playable dancer Silvia in Genealogy of Holy War. The mother of Lene. 

There's Hans from Fates. The major villain that tried to kill Corrin in the beginning and is Garon's minion alongside Iago. 

As for similar names: 

Theres a playable Bors, though not Boris indeed, which are different names of different origins . 

Xander japanese name is Max, if It helps. doesnt fit Maximilian totally though, since It can stand for a proper name. 

Theres also a Will and Karel, but indeed not proper Willhelm, William and Karl. Nor a Charles. 

Theres Eliwood's mother named Eleanora. But theres no proper Eleanore or Eleanor. 

I think theres a forgetable villain named Teodor in Tellius or Elibe. No proper Theodore or Theodora. 

2 hours ago, genesis said:

A pity they wasted the name Liam in a nobody without proper relevant story and supports, but at least he is playable. 

I wouldn't really say they'd wasted it. If they want to us that name again I doubt they'd even remember it's been used as filler before. I mean, they some how managed to have two characters with the same name in Fates (Nina) because they cared so little about the capturable unit names.

2 hours ago, genesis said:

Theres Eliwood's mother named Eleanora. But theres no proper Eleanore or Eleanor. 

There's also Eleonora in Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

On this topic, it's pretty bonkers that Micaiah, the name of a hyper obscure (and male) Old Testament prophet, was used in Fire Emblem for a female MC. Did they possibly not know it was a real Biblical name?

But anyway, here's a few suggestions:

-Naomi, an exceptional name that's popular both in the West and Japan despite having different etymological origins; also the name of a fairly well known Biblical character, if Intelligent Studios is looking for that.

-Leto, who in antiquity was a well known lover of Zeus and the mother of Apollo and Artemis. Probably a lore-relevant character who isn't playable.

-Clotilda, a Germanic name popular in the earlier stretch of the Middle Ages; possibly for a masculine warrior woman character (EDIT: Ah frick. Apparently a notorious slave ship had this name, so maybe not.)

-A'isha. It seems FE has been growing bolder with use of Islamic names as of late. A'isha is a pretty and fairly popular name, and it's low-hanging fruit if you just don't think too hard about who the name belonged to.

-Tarquin, the name of a historical "mad king" whose misrule led to the transition from the Roman Kingdom to the Roman Republic. Nero or Caligula are, paradoxically, such obvious examples that it's unlikely a mad king will bear these names, but Tarquin is just barely obscure enough to fit the bill. Probably a minor character as opposed to a big bad.

-Snorri, name of the author of the Prose Edda, and we know how much FE loves Norse mythology. Probably a big man who loves to drink, a barbarian type unit with a good heart.

-Oberon, a Shakespearean character (fairy king) whose name frequently gets used in anime/manga. Probably a mage or a manakete, or a member of an Elven race if some future FE title has Elves.

-Beatrice

-Berenice

-Paula (phonetically similar to impala, so probably a slender "huntress" in the style of Shamir, Leonie, or Petra)

Edited by Hrothgar777

6 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

... who be this other Nina?

Capturable unit.

3 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

On this topic, it's pretty bonkers that Micaiah, the name of a hyper obscure (and male) Old Testament prophet, was used in Fire Emblem for a female MC. Did they possibly not know it was a real Biblical name?

I've read the bible, but I only know that guy exists because I occasionally have to Google Micaiah to make sure I'm spelling it right. The order of those last four letters can really throw me.

-Naomi, an exceptional name that's popular both in the West and Japan despite having different etymological origins; also the name of a fairly well known Biblical character, if Intelligent Studios is looking for that.

Another name popular in both the west and Japan (and probably else where given how phonetically simple it is) is Kira, in my own vinacualr Ciara. Though maybe as a name that had too much association with Death Note in Japan.

-Leto, who in antiquity was a well known lover of Zeus and the mother of Apollo and Artemis. Probably a lore-relevant character who isn't playable.

Fire Emblem Dune Adaptation!

-Clotilda, a Germanic name popular in the earlier stretch of the Middle Ages; possibly for a masculine warrior woman character (EDIT: Ah frick. Apparently a notorious slave ship had this name, so maybe not.)

Oh damn, the slavers got to it and now it's sullied until the end of time (I highly disagree with that logic).

-A'isha. It seems FE has been growing bolder with use of Islamic names as of late. 

Have they? I haven't noticed. What Arabian based names have they used recently? In terms of boldness I don't think anything is going to trump a random disposable boss being called Muhammad back in Genealogy. Only thing .ore brazen that that would be to straight up call some on Allah. We've also had Saleh in Sacred Stones which was a pretty isolated name (fun fact, I had a student called Saleh when I taught in Saudi Arabia, turns out I cannot accurately pronounce that name at all no matter how hard I try). Have there been a bigger influx in the last two games that I haven't noticed/don't remember?

4 hours ago, Hrothgar777 said:

The only non-Fire Emblem use of the name I've ever encountered in the wild is the author Micaiah Johnson, who is female. So I don't think it's particularly egregious for it to be the name of a female character.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

What Arabian based names have they used recently?

The Almyran names from 3H are of Arabian origin. Claude is Khalid, his half-brother is Shahid. The name of that one general who appears in Verdant Wind is Nader. Though, having said that, I guess it's just three people.

I should add that Aisha has become a mainstream name among the black community in the US in the last half-century, so it wouldn't be such a strange name for Western audiences at this point.

1 hour ago, lenticular said:

The only non-Fire Emblem use of the name I've ever encountered in the wild is the author Micaiah Johnson, who is female. So I don't think it's particularly egregious for it to be the name of a female character.

Hmm. I didn't know of this person, but okay.

On 7/10/2024 at 7:45 PM, Jotari said:

I wouldn't really say they'd wasted it. If they want to us that name again I doubt they'd even remember it's been used as filler before. I mean, they some how managed to have two characters with the same name in Fates (Nina) because they cared so little about the capturable unit names.

There's also Eleonora in Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

It seems Nina is a Common name in Fateslandia 😁

I gave a quick look in the Fates prisoners name (cause I have nothing better to do). Its interesting that many of the names were used in the future games, more specifically in Three Houses and Shadows of Valentia. Ingrid, Hilda, Hubert, Jeralt, Annette, Brigitta (Brigid, the land, etc),  If this points anything It can give an Idea of some future names of playable of major characters that the developers like.  The ones not used yet are: 

-Male:  Sven, Tancred, Theobald, Tobias, Virgil, Wenzel, Wolfgang, Andreas, Liam, Ludwig, Manfred, Otto, Christof, Edsel, Elmar, Fritz

-Female: Adele, Beatrice, Ernesta, Freyja, Gisela, Karline, Louisa, Lulu, Rita, Romy, Verona

3 hours ago, genesis said:

It seems Nina is a Common name in Fateslandia 😁

I gave a quick look in the Fates prisoners name (cause I have nothing better to do). Its interesting that many of the names were used in the future games, more specifically in Three Houses and Shadows of Valentia. Ingrid, Hilda, Hubert, Jeralt, Annette, Brigitta (Brigid, the land, etc),  If this points anything It can give an Idea of some future names of playable of major characters that the developers like.  The ones not used yet are: 

-Male:  Sven, Tancred, Theobald, Tobias, Virgil, Wenzel, Wolfgang, Andreas, Liam, Ludwig, Manfred, Otto, Christof, Edsel, Elmar, Fritz

-Female: Adele, Beatrice, Ernesta, Freyja, Gisela, Karline, Louisa, Lulu, Rita, Romy, Verona

There's a parallel to this with the generic arena enemies in Genealogy of the Holy War. Many of which ended being names used in later games. I don't think it's intentional foreshadowing of any kind though, just an indication of what names the current staff gravitate towards when asked for a random western sounding name.

The Almyran names from 3H are of Arabian origin. Claude is Khalid, his half-brother is Shahid. The name of that one general who appears in Verdant Wind is Nader. Though, having said that, I guess it's just three people.

I should add that Aisha has become a mainstream name among the black community in the US in the last half-century, so it wouldn't be such a strange name for Western audiences at this point.

Hmm. I didn't know of this person, but okay.

Ah, the Almyrans. On retrospect, Cyril's name seems to stand out now. Maybe he should have been called little Ahmed or something. I wonder if that would have alternate people's perception of him. Also makes me wonder if Rhea changed his name. If so then Shahid is the only Almyran character to only have one name, since Claude and Nader both went by other names for a time (I'm still confused what the point the whole Nader-Nardel thing was).

13 hours ago, Jotari said:
19 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

... who be this other Nina?

Capturable unit.

Which chapter? Paralogue 22? I´m completely stumped here and I can´t find anything on a capturable unit called Nina and your list doesn´t have a pic attached to the capturable character.

Edit: Nvm, it´s just randomized names lol.

Prisoner - Fire Emblem Wiki

Edited by Imuabicus der Fertige

27 minutes ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Which chapter? Paralogue 22? I´m completely stumped here and I can´t find anything on a capturable unit called Nina and your list doesn´t have a pic attached to the capturable character.

Edit: Nvm, it´s just randomized names lol.

Prisoner - Fire Emblem Wiki

Yes, it was a randomly generated name. I thought that was obvious from the context I made before, but I guess when people think captureable units they default to the capturable bosses and not the random npc enemies. Looking at the list though, it seems the two Nina situation is entirely a result of the localizers, as the capturable unit is called Florian in Japanese (and the playable Nina is called Eponine...which I'm slightly confused they changed, it's not like that's a super weird name, it's in Les Miserable).