Game of the Year nominees revealed

Perkilator

I've got no experience or much interest in Baldur's Gate but still I find myself rooting for it. It really came out of nowhere with surprisingly production values. Tears of the Kingdom is far more up my alley but I don't think it would fully deserve a game of the year due to how similar it is to its predecessor. 

9 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I’m not gonna lie, but that is one heck of a generic list. I don’t mean that in a bad way, there is no surprises there.

I consider Super Mario Bros Wonder to be a huge surprise, and I wasn't actually expecting Spiderman 2 or Alan Wake 2. The most generic possible list would have included Starfield and Armored Core 6, tbh.

Speaking of which, I'm glad Starfield got "snubbed". Because it's an aggressively 6/10 game that didn't earn it.

35 minutes ago, Integrity said:

bg3 would be utterly robbed to not win tbh

Yeah. Off of sheer ambition alone, Larian has punched so far above their weight class and delivered something objectively more impressive than anyone else this year. Even if this game genre isn't your cup of tea, you should respect it as an artistic triumph.

I am fully expecting this to be the most viewed TGA's in history because the competition is hotter, and the announcements that are already said to be there are huge.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I'm hoping Tears of the Kingdom will win, but I'm expecting Baldur's Gate 3 to win; the sheer hype, momentum and coverage surrounding Baldur's Gate 3 was simply too immense for it to not win.

I'm not really too interested in Game of the Year; to me, The Game Awards is a joke, so the only award they give that I pay any attention to is the Player's Voice Award... and Baldur's Gate 3 is probably going to win that one as well.

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm hoping Tears of the Kingdom will win, but I'm expecting Baldur's Gate 3 to win; the sheer hype, momentum and coverage surrounding Baldur's Gate 3 was simply too immense for it to not win.

I'm not really too interested in Game of the Year; to me, The Game Awards is a joke, so the only award they give that I pay any attention to is the Player's Voice Award... and Baldur's Gate 3 is probably going to win that one as well.

See, back when like, Three Houses won, I respected the Players' Voice Award.

But last year, the reward was a mockery. We had Genshin Impact, a gacha game which rewards/bribes its players when it wins awards... vs. Sonic Frontiers, a mediocre game for a mainstream IP. And instead of disqualifying both fandoms - Genshin for bribery and Sonic for botting, they chose to omit the bot votes, admonish the Sonic fandom on stage, and give the award to Genshin.

This year, I'm fully expecting it to be between Genshin for the same reasons, and god damn Hogwarts Legacy. 

My GOTY is Hi Fi Rush, followed by Resident Evil 4 Remake. I've got some serious hangups about a Remake winning one of these things so I'm hoping it doesn't even if I literally can't think of any way it could be improved, conceptually or on a technical level. It's hard not to notice that Mario is the only one on the list that is neither a sequel nor a remake. Then again that's pedantic. It's not like it's the first or even tenth 2D Mario. It's just the first 2D Mario where Miyamoto was shooed out of the office. Overall I'm rooting for either Baldurs Gate 3 or Mario. I haven't played either, but they are the two games whose artistic and technical quality was in the greatest doubt. Whose surprise factor is closest but not especially within striking distance of Hi Fi Rush

My Expectation has not changed over the years: Zelda will take it. And the rest will run away with a bunch of no brainer, smaller categories. Heck, Disco Elysium didn't even take a GOTY nomination and still ran away with four awards total. Baldurs Gate 3 is a game that people actually played, by comparison. It stands no chance of being forgotten.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

7 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

See, back when like, Three Houses won, I respected the Players' Voice Award.

But last year, the reward was a mockery. We had Genshin Impact, a gacha game which rewards/bribes its players when it wins awards... vs. Sonic Frontiers, a mediocre game for a mainstream IP. And instead of disqualifying both fandoms - Genshin for bribery and Sonic for botting, they chose to omit the bot votes, admonish the Sonic fandom on stage, and give the award to Genshin.

This year, I'm fully expecting it to be between Genshin for the same reasons, and god damn Hogwarts Legacy. 

Huh. I didn't know about that; I didn't really pay attention to the game awards last year. Not disqualifying Genshin is definitely not good.

I honestly don't think either of those will win; Genshin, maybe, but I think the discourse around Baldur's Gate 3 is enough to enable it to win. If I'm wrong, I'll be surprised, but I probably won't give it much thought afterwards.

27 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Who actually decides which games win (and are nominees for) The Game Awards? Is it anyone whose opinions I should actually care about even a little bit?

As per the Game Awards FAQ: Games are nominated by a selected Voting Jury of over 100 organizations representing different facets of the industry (reviewers, influencers, esports, and accessibility experts). These same people are 90% of the voting weight for each category, leaving the remaining 10% to the fan vote

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

49 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh. I didn't know about that; I didn't really pay attention to the game awards last year. Not disqualifying Genshin is definitely not good.

I honestly don't think either of those will win; Genshin, maybe, but I think the discourse around Baldur's Gate 3 is enough to enable it to win. If I'm wrong, I'll be surprised, but I probably won't give it much thought afterwards.

I think people generally treat PV as a chance to rally behind games they see as getting "snubbed." I say Hogwarts is probably taking it (unfortunately) because it's both the best selling game this year and too mid to win critic awards.

52 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

As per the Game Awards FAQ: Games are nominated by a selected Voting Jury of over 100 organizations representing different facets of the industry (reviewers, influencers, esports, and accessibility experts). These same people are 90% of the voting weight for each category, leaving the remaining 10% to the fan vote

I generally don't take them that seriously for this reason. I will remind people often that Last of Us II was voted GOTY for 2020, that game was pretty widely praised in terms of reviewers and influencers, but the general reaction for it was much more polarised.

Not to say these two opinions won't often align, because I would be very surprised to see BG3 not win here after almost universal praise, but worth keeping in mind.

Edited by Tryhard

29 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

So, in short, no, definitely not worth my caring about their opinions. Not that I've anything in particular against game reviewers, but I don't see them as having any particular expertise; they're just regular guys and gals who have their own tastes and opinions, just as I have my tastes and opinions. I'm not super into award shows generally, but at least with something like the Oscars or the Grammies there's the knowledge that at least the people deciding on the awards are industry professionals who for sure know more about films/music than I do. Looking at the nominations, I'm noticing that there is absolutely no overlap between the nominees for Best Score and Music at the Game Awards and those for Best Score Soundtrack for Video Games at the Grammies. I know which one I'm more likely to take seriously.

There are also publications in there which, regardless of how I feel about the individual reviewers, I absolutely do not trust the corporations behind them. The ones that immediately stood out to me as untrustworthy were Metro and any of the sites owned by Fandom, Inc (Gamespot and Giant Bomb). And there doesn't seem to be any rule for how each outlet decides its votes, so we just have to trust that they're acting responsibly. Which I don't.

Also, finally, for the absolute "there is no end to the ways I am not going to take your awards seriously" piece de resistance, when I first went to look at the voting jury page, I just got a splash screen telling me to rotate my device because whoever was in charge of their web design didn't think that I should be able to look at their page on my ipad in landscape mode. What a bunch of absolute muppets.

Oh well. Thank you for answering my question, anyway!

Octopath Traveler 2 is my personal goty, and it's not nominated for anything. For a variety of reasons I don't care much for the actual awards, but it still kinda feels bad.

As for the actual goty candidates, I've only played TotK and RE4R, and the latter would get my vote. I do want to play Baldur's Gate 3 eventually, though.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Octopath Traveler 2 is my personal goty, and it's not nominated for anything. For a variety of reasons I don't care much for the actual awards, but it still kinda feels bad.

As for the actual goty candidates, I've only played TotK and RE4R, and the latter would get my vote. I do want to play Baldur's Gate 3 eventually, though.

It's just been a strong year for JRPGs, so it's hard for even something as great as Octopath 2 to stay in the limelight.

And well, next year's going to be even better for JRPGs. Possibly even the best year. That lineup is actually insane.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:52 AM, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's just been a strong year for JRPGs, so it's hard for even something as great as Octopath 2 to stay in the limelight.

And well, next year's going to be even better for JRPGs. Possibly even the best year. That lineup is actually insane.

Lets see. Aside from Octopath 2 we got the Xenoblade DLC, FF16(if it counts), Star ocean and Mario RPG. 

Next year we'll have FF7 remake of course. But what are the other JRPG's coming out next year?

48 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Lets see. Aside from Octopath 2 we got the Xenoblade DLC, FF16(if it counts), Star ocean and Mario RPG. 

Next year we'll have FF7 remake of course. But what are the other JRPG's coming out next year?

This year we also had Sea of Stars, Persona 5 Tactica, One Piece Odyssey, Fire Emblem Engage, Trails into Reverie, and Disgaea 7. Also a Tales of Arise expansion. And yes, FF16 counts, because it's as much of a JRPG as Ys is.

Next year has a big lineup. Heavy hitters bolded and my most anticipated underlined.

FF7 Rebirth

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth

Metaphor Re Fantazio

Persona 3 Reload

Paper Mario TTYD Remake

Unicorn Overlord

Dragon's Dogma 2

Suikoden Chronicle 1 and 2 Remake

Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes

Granblue Fantasy Relink

Trails Through Daybreak (localization)

Ys X Nordics (localization)

SaGa Emerald Beyond

Decapolice

Then there are also wildcards like the FE remake, FFT remake, Fuga 3, Kingdom Hearts 4, Armed Phantasia, Penny Blood, Nexomon 3, etc. that could easily happen in either 2024 or 2025. The year is already historic without them, and becomes even better if any of them slot in here.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

• 2 weeks later...

Hey um where's Peter Weller's Robocop for Best Performance? Yeah I realize it's not the first time he reprised this role (Hello Mortal Kombat 11 DLC), but he is the definitive Robocop performance. It elevates the game that he's here, 35 years later