What games do you think we'll see announced at The Game Awards?

Fabulously Olivier

One of the largest gaming announcement events of the year is just over a week away. What do you think we'll see? What are you hoping to see?

I'm going to throw out 5 guesses:

1. It's finally time for the Final Fantasy Tactics Remake/Remaster from the Nvidia leak to get announced.

2. Star Wars Warriors (Star Warriors?)

3. Capcom's unannounced game is Monster Hunter World 2

4. Assassin's Creed Red (Japan) gets a cinematic reveal trailer. 

5. Another new League of Legends indie game spinoff is announced and it's nothing remarkable.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

3. Capcom's unannounced game is Monster Hunter World 2

the monkey's paw curls. it's monster hunter rise 2. i wail and gnash my teeth and curse God.

I don't expect to see much of anything I'd be too interested in, but I'll throw out a suggestion for something Castlevania as I desperately cling onto the sliver of hope that the animated series garners enough interest for that. Maybe a follow-up to last year's Transformers game announcement, though I kinda doubt it.

11 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I don't expect to see much of anything I'd be too interested in, but I'll throw out a suggestion for something Castlevania as I desperately cling onto the sliver of hope that the animated series garners enough interest for that. Maybe a follow-up to last year's Transformers game announcement, though I kinda doubt it.

Another Monkey's Paw. It's Lords of Shadow 3, which pleases me and literally no one else.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's rare to see two fanbases in the same franchise dislike eachother as much as World and Rise fans.

i've always been tsundere as hell for monster hunter tbh. i had the same response to generations (a game i played a whopping thirty-five total hours of, compared to 200+ for every other monhan i've played) and my first response to rise was that i'd have the same issues with it i had with generations.

then i played rise, and i found out that i largely had the same issues with it that i had with generations, but it was in the REngine and runs and controls really nicely at least

Edited by Integrity

4 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

2. Star Wars Warriors (Star Warriors?)

Its been rather quiet on the Warriors front hasn't it? I don't recall there even having been one after Hopes. Well apart from Pirate Warriors bizarrely enough getting dlc four years after the game's been released. 

On that front I wouldn't be surprised if we see BOTW Warriors 2.

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its been rather quiet on the Warriors front hasn't it? I don't recall there even having been one after Hopes. Well apart from Pirate Warriors bizarrely enough getting dlc four years after the game's been released. 

On that front I wouldn't be surprised if we see BOTW Warriors 2.

Unless you count Fate Samurai Remnant, then no, it's been one of the longest dry periods in franchise history.

My dart is just landing on Star Wars because they've repeatedly said they wanted to do it, but haven't done so for just long enough that I could potentially believe they actually were NDA'd.

I had some ideas of what we could see in The Game Awards announcements this year are:

1. Nintendo games announced (Plus, some more new trailers of already announced upcoming games)
  2. Konami's third Castlevania Collection (I think we could see the Vampire Killer (MSX2 game), Adventure Rebirth, N64 games, PS2 games, &/or Nintendo DS games added in)
  3. Capcom's new Mega Man Legacy Collection
  4. Another trailer of SNK's Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves (I think we're going to see the rest characters who had their voices showed up from the previous first look CG trailer and Mai is going to get a brand new outfit that might going to be fit in the Good Boys & Good Girls rule for SSB (Cero A) and that will make her appear in the possible next SSB title)
  5. Square Enix shows off a trailer of Dragon Quest 12 finally and more footages of the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.
Edited by King Marth 64

7 hours ago, Integrity said:

the monkey's paw curls. it's monster hunter rise 2. i wail and gnash my teeth and curse God.

7 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's rare to see two fanbases in the same franchise dislike each other as much as World and Rise fans.

Huh; this is news to me, but I haven't spoken to many in the Monster Hunter fanbase and I'm brand new to the series, with my first Monster Hunter game having been Rise.

I really enjoyed Rise; part of it was a case of right game at the right time, since I had just played a ton of demos for various story-driven JRPGs at the time and I really needed something with deep combat and a focus on the core gameplay loop, but I went back to it a year later to play the Sunbreak expansion, so I clearly enjoyed it for more reasons than just that. And, honestly, I'd really like to see the next Monster Hunter game bring back at least some gameplay elements from Rise, such as the wirebugs and the followers mechanic introduced in Sunbreak (I mainly play single-player and I liked a lot of the characters in Rise, so the follower mechanic was great for me).

What I hope to see:

1. It's not a game, but now that there's an official release date for season 2 of Arcane, an official trailer for it would be cool to see.

2. Either a new 2D Zelda game or an Oracle Remake bundle that includes the cancelled third game. Tears of the Kingdom just released this year, so the latter of the two is a lot more likely, but I do miss how previous 3D Zelda games had 2D Zelda games released in-between them.

What I Predict:

1. No real announcements from Nintendo, as Nintendo already made a lot of announcements for its 2024 games.

2. An Assassin's Creed game set in whatever historical period is closest to the current bandwagons. Last time it was Vikings.

13 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Huh; this is news to me, but I haven't spoken to many in the Monster Hunter fanbase and I'm brand new to the series, with my first Monster Hunter game having been Rise.

I really enjoyed Rise; part of it was a case of right game at the right time, since I had just played a ton of demos for various story-driven JRPGs at the time and I really needed something with deep combat and a focus on the core gameplay loop, but I went back to it a year later to play the Sunbreak expansion, so I clearly enjoyed it for more reasons than just that. And, honestly, I'd really like to see the next Monster Hunter game bring back at least some gameplay elements from Rise, such as the wirebugs and the followers mechanic introduced in Sunbreak (I mainly play single-player and I liked a lot of the characters in Rise, so the follower mechanic was great for me).

What I hope to see:

1. It's not a game, but now that there's an official release date for season 2 of Arcane, an official trailer for it would be cool to see.

2. Either a new 2D Zelda game or an Oracle Remake bundle that includes the cancelled third game. Tears of the Kingdom just released this year, so the latter of the two is a lot more likely, but I do miss how previous 3D Zelda games had 2D Zelda games released in-between them.

What I Predict:

1. No real announcements from Nintendo, as Nintendo already made a lot of announcements for its 2024 games.

2. An Assassin's Creed game set in whatever historical period is closest to the current bandwagons. Last time it was Vikings.

I love what Arcane is doing for the IP, and I hope Riot one day licenses a League game I actually want to play. Used to be an active League player before I quit PvP games entirely. 

I also hope my boy Twisted Fate is in Season 2.

My dart is just landing on Star Wars because they've repeatedly said they wanted to do it, but haven't done so for just long enough that I could potentially believe they actually were NDA'd.

Normally I'd say a big shot western company would probably feel themselves too good for a niche wacky Japanese hack and slash but...well the company that allowed Kingdom Hearts will allow just about anything. 

Keighley always comes down the chimney with some World Premieres. I know he said that would be less of a focus for this year, but that's just to throw us off!

But also be prepared for things that were technically "announced" years ago in a financial report and we're finally seeing a trailer for. Like that Fallout show. Or the third Sonic movie. Actually with the strikes ending a couple weeks ago, there's a big backlog of film stuff that's been waiting to be announced and re-advertised, not just the video game-related film stuff.

I guess I'm just hoping to see The Outer Worlds 2. Starfield's alright, but I couldn't get out of my mind how much neater it would be if the RPG stuff was championed harder than the Simulation aspects.

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Normally I'd say a big shot western company would probably feel themselves too good for a niche wacky Japanese hack and slash but...well the company that allowed Kingdom Hearts will allow just about anything. 

They're also the same company that allowed Koei's other dev team to do Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I love what Arcane is doing for the IP, and I hope Riot one day licenses a League game I actually want to play. Used to be an active League player before I quit PvP games entirely. 

I also hope my boy Twisted Fate is in Season 2.

Same, except I have never played League of Legends; I don't play online multiplayer games at all. I did know a little bit of the lore of League of Legends before watching Arcane, but not a lot.

I see; I honestly don't know much about Twisted Fate. I would say that I hope Warwick appears in season 2, but I think it's pretty clear that Warwick's definitely going to appear.

Spoiler

All the hints that Vander is Warwick, the sight of an unfinished Warwick in Singed's lab at the end of episode 9, and the howl heard at the end of the audio-only teaser trailer, all strongly imply if not outright confirm that Warwick is going to be in season 2.

Since Arcane is about the conflict between Zaun and Piltover, one character that, in hindsight, I'm surprised hasn't even been mentioned yet in the show is Janna: in the lore, she's singlehandedly responsible for keeping Zaun's air pollution from killing everyone and she's greatly revered in Zaun because of it, so I'm a little surprised she was never mentioned and that there wasn't a statue of her in Zaun or anything like that.

Since season 1 did set up that Noxus is likely to get involved, I wouldn't be surprised if Urgot makes an appearance.

GTA6. Rockstar said there is supposedly a trailer coming in "early December," and while Rockstar are known for typically doing their own thing and dropping their announcements off-hand independently, I wouldn't be surprised if Geoff managed to land what is going to be one of the biggest reveals in the gaming generation.

An obvious one is the Elden Ring DLC announcement, finally. As Miyazaki/From have a good relationship with Geoff and the awards show and it's likely that it will be announced with a release date before Q2 2024.

EDIT: Of course, very soon after I posted this it seems like the GTA6 trailer is going up 5th December. I did think it had a chance to appear the game awards, but I guess not.

Edited by Tryhard

Anyway, I made my predictions, but here's some of my pipe dreams. The announcements that would really make my day.

1. Team Asano's next game isn't another mediocre Bravely title. Instead, it's a new IP - their take on Pokemon.

2. League of Legends Warriors - an IP that already has the roster, and the base mechanics, and the dedicated mooks. Just needs an enjoyable, low stress PvE game I can sink many hours into.

3. Injustice 3 announced and has just as much PvE and gear as Injustice 2. As well as the noob-friendly combo mechanics of SF6. And the first guest character is the Power Rangers.

4. Embracer announces a wave of Lord of the Rings remasters. Namely, a remastered collection of the PS2 hack and slash games, and a substantial remake of The Third Age.

5. Gambit gets an open world superhero game in New Orleans. Could best be described as the beautiful love child of Batman Arkham and Yakuza.

9 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

1. Team Asano's next game isn't another mediocre Bravely title. Instead, it's a new IP - their take on Pokémon.

Yeah; I hope they're not making another Bravely Default. I never played the original Bravely Default games; only the demos, but every demo of Bravely Default 2 left me feeling disappointed in a way I didn't feel with the Bravely Second demo, and I think it's because the first two Bravely Default games, while by no means masterpieces, had a lot that made them stand out and be memorable that Bravely Default 2 just doesn't have: the hand-drawn environments and the creative fourth-wall breaks being two examples, and while I wouldn't expect a Switch game to have features that were clearly made with the 3DS in mind, Bravely Default 2 didn't really have anything in their place.

25 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

2. League of Legends Warriors - an IP that already has the roster, and the base mechanics, and the dedicated mooks. Just needs an enjoyable, low stress PvE game I can sink many hours into.

I could see a Warriors game that uses the League of Legends IP. It's unlikely, but I could see it.

I have some more predictions:

1. Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War. There will be a trailer, it will open with one of King Rauru's lines from Tears of the Kingdom about the founding of Hyrule. We then see footage of Hyrule at the time of King Rauru, and then Aonuma appears after the trailer and says, "This game takes place tens of thousands of years before the events of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In that game, the Imprisoning War was mentioned, but the actual event itself wasn't shown in full. In this game, you'll be able to experience the events of the Imprisoning War." However, there's a strange zonai construct shaped like a celery stick that wasn't in any of the flashbacks...

2. A developer at Atlus says, "Now that we've finally exhausted every type of Persona 5 spinoff imaginable, here's what all of you have actually been waiting for" and we get a tiny little teaser for Persona 6 that doesn't provide a release year, let alone release date.

26 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; I hope they're not making another Bravely Default. I never played the original Bravely Default games; only the demos, but every demo of Bravely Default 2 left me feeling disappointed in a way I didn't feel with the Bravely Second demo, and I think it's because the first two Bravely Default games, while by no means masterpieces, had a lot that made them stand out and be memorable that Bravely Default 2 just doesn't have: the hand-drawn environments and the creative fourth-wall breaks being two examples, and while I wouldn't expect a Switch game to have features that were clearly made with the 3DS in mind, Bravely Default 2 didn't really have anything in their place.

I could see a Warriors game that uses the League of Legends IP. It's unlikely, but I could see it.

I have some more predictions:

1. Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War. There will be a trailer, it will open with one of King Rauru's lines from Tears of the Kingdom about the founding of Hyrule. We then see footage of Hyrule at the time of King Rauru, and then Aonuma appears after the trailer and says, "This game takes place tens of thousands of years before the events of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. In that game, the Imprisoning War was mentioned, but the actual event itself wasn't shown in full. In this game, you'll be able to experience the events of the Imprisoning War." However, there's a strange zonai construct shaped like a celery stick that wasn't in any of the flashbacks...

2. A developer at Atlus says, "Now that we've finally exhausted every type of Persona 5 spinoff imaginable, here's what all of you have actually been waiting for" and we get a tiny little teaser for Persona 6 that doesn't provide a release year, let alone release date.

As far as western IP go, League's probably one of the least unlikely, given how open they are to licensing it out to other devs. Only western IP I could see as maybe more likely are Star Wars, LotR, Marvel/DC, and Warhammer.

Why do people think there's a large market for another musou based on the BotW universe? What would even be the point? Who would they even add to justify it to new players?

You underestimate Atlus. Get ready for Personio Party.

13 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm waiting on Persona: Psyche Sphere. International football time, let's make Persona sporty! Actually let's remake Persona 2 and fix its sloggy gameplay while giving its zany yet rather solid story & characters a modern facelift. But supposedly Atlus refuses to touch the Old Trilogy in respect of its lead creator, which would be like Intelligent Systems not remaking FEs 1-5 out of respect for Kaga, a tad excessively reverentially strange.

I'm not sure if Atlus would even move on to announcing P6 before getting P3R out the door. That could steal the attention from that, though certainly not money. I'm sure that wouldn't happen until that Re: Fantazio thing is released, P6 too close to Fantazio and maybe Atlus would end up squishing its little new IP under the hindquarters of the Modern Persona behemoth.

32 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As far as western IP go, League's probably one of the least unlikely, given how open they are to licensing it out to other devs. Only western IP I could see as maybe more likely are Star Wars, LotR, Marvel/DC, and Warhammer.

Why do people think there's a large market for another musou based on the BotW universe? What would even be the point? Who would they even add to justify it to new players?

Indeed; that's one reason I was saying that I could see it.

My two predictions, including the one of another Hyrule Warriors that this time pretends to be a prequel to TotK instead of BotW was mainly meant as a joke; I probably should have stated that they were jokes.

As for why some think there's a large market for another one, I think there's a simple answer: Age of Calamity sold 3 million copies; outselling every previous game in the Warriors franchise. Of course, that argument doesn't take into account many different factors, such as the following:

1. Age of Calamity released in late 2020, when we were all trapped inside and there wasn't much competition

2. A not-insignificant number of those copies sold can be attributed to false-advertising that made the game seem more relevant to the Zelda franchise and BotW than it actually was.

3. The hype around Age of Calamity died very quickly after release and, at this point three years later, most people have forgotten that the game even existed.

However, I can't quite completely dismiss the possibility of it actually happening because business executives aren't likely to consider those factors; they're likely to just see the sales numbers.

I mainly meant it as a joke, but yes; I am probably underestimating Atlus.

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Indeed; that's one reason I was saying that I could see it.

My two predictions, including the one of another Hyrule Warriors that this time pretends to be a prequel to TotK instead of BotW was mainly meant as a joke; I probably should have stated that they were jokes.

As for why some think there's a large market for another one, I think there's a simple answer: Age of Calamity sold 3 million copies; outselling every previous game in the Warriors franchise. Of course, that argument doesn't take into account many different factors, such as the following:

1. Age of Calamity released in late 2020, when we were all trapped inside and there wasn't much competition

2. A not-insignificant number of those copies sold can be attributed to false-advertising that made the game seem more relevant to the Zelda franchise and BotW than it actually was.

3. The hype around Age of Calamity died very quickly after release and, at this point three years later, most people have forgotten that the game even existed.

However, I can't quite completely dismiss the possibility of it actually happening because business executives aren't likely to consider those factors; they're likely to just see the sales numbers.

I mainly meant it as a joke, but yes; I am probably underestimating Atlus.

It really is just the size of the BotW fanbase. 

AoC's 4 million sales (updated figure), represents less than 13% attach rate to BotW. Compared to as much as 25% for P5 Strikers, as much as a third for FEW3H, and as much as half for FEW.

Granted, none of that math accounts for Dynasty Warriors fans who don't like those franchises. There are dozens of them.

29 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It really is just the size of the BotW fanbase. 

AoC's 4 million sales (updated figure), represents less than 13% attach rate to BotW. Compared to as much as 25% for P5 Strikers, as much as a third for FEW3H, and as much as half for FEW.

Granted, none of that math accounts for Dynasty Warriors fans who don't like those franchises. There are dozens of them.

I am in full agreement; it really is just the size of the BotW fanbase + circumstantial factors, and there is not a significant enough audience for a second BotW/TotK Hyrule Warriors. I am only saying that, unfortunately, business executives have an unfortunate tendency to just look at numbers and precedence, so I can't discount the possibility of it happening even though it is definitely a bad idea.

I'm surprised that we didn't get a single Nintendo announcement on this years Game Awards except for the trailer of Super Nintendo World. But, I did saw they did showed off a new trailer for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth with first look of Vincent Valentine and Cid. But, none of the others I mentioned were shown off in the Game Awards didn't showed up. But I'm surprised that Matthew Mercer is now voicing Vincent in the Remake and as well as having him showed up for the Game Awards for talking about Asgard's Wrath. But, I did saw there was three Nintendo games were won in each category. But, Super Mario Bros. Wonder and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom nearly won, but snag by Baldur's Gate 3 as Game of the Year. But, I didn't expect that they showed off a new trailer that World of Goo is getting a sequel called World of Goo 2 for around 15 years.

Edited by King Marth 64