New Spirit Events confirmed for Ultimate

Perkilator

Roughly in English: ““Super Smash Bros. SPECIAL” celebrates its 5th anniversary today! Starting tomorrow, we will be holding an in-game event "Thank you!! 5th Anniversary of Super Smash Bros. SP Release" for 5 days. During the period, the experience points and SP you receive after battle will be multiplied by 5, and you can also obtain 5 additional "Snack L".”

Sakurai also tweeted about this.

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Thank you!! 5th Anniversary of Super Smash Bros. SP Release"

Huh, TIL I learned that Ultimate's Japanese name is Super Smash Bros SP.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
"Today I learnd I learned" LOL

I'm definitely wondered if the new Spirit Events are going to be heavily focused on post SSBU era games after SSBU was done. I do know that there are some recent Nintendo Switch games that didn't have any Spirits in SSBU such as Fire Emblem Engage, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Super Mario RPG (not the SNES), Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp, Pokémon Scarlet & Violet, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, etc. since I do know that Sakurai does have his team host Spirit Events when new Switch games were used to come out in the middle of the SSBU DLC development and then Sakurai had his team stopped making new Spirits after Sora was released after Evil Ryu became the last Spirit.

I'm definitely wondered if the new Spirit Events are going to be like 2023 Nintendo Switch titles since they haven't gotten the Spirit Event treatment unlike the other Nintendo Switch games had before Sora came out.

Edit from 12/7:

I just saw the notification in SSBU said that the four new additional spirits are coming on January 2024. I'm still thinking the team are pretty much need more time to set up the four new Spirits coming in January 2024.

Edited by King Marth 64

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Kind of a weird time for DLC. First One Piece Warriors gets a new DLC wave years after the game came out and now Smash gets one long after the new content wave ended. 

Actually, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did got their first DLC after 5 years straight after Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's overall DLC ended. I definitely wondered what the first batch of new Spirits going to be from depending on which video game franchise that haven't got into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

56 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Actually, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did got their first DLC after 5 years straight after Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's overall DLC ended. I definitely wondered what the first batch of new Spirits going to be from depending on which video game franchise that haven't got into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

Alear feels likely to me.

I just realized something; the last Spirit Event before this was in January 2022, when Evil Ryu was added to the Spirit Board. After that Spirit Event, the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass ran from March 2022 to November 2023, and then after the Booster Course Pass ended, here we are today with brand new Spirit Events starting in January 2024.

TL;DR the Booster Course Pass is more or less the reason why we didn’t get any new Spirit Events from March 2022 - November 2023.