hey go watch wonka (2023)

Integrity

venturing outside my moderation-and-blogging sphere to implore you to go watch wonka (2023) with timmee chalomet

it's deserving of being spoken of in hushed tones alongside the 1971 original, though it's absolutely not quite as good as it

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Already seen it. My opinion is...very...unextreme? It's a movie. That's for sure. Hope the kiddies like it.

you have discharged your duty with honor

2 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, it kind of killed any sort of character development that the winning kid had.

chuck bucket in depp wonka was the biggest nonentity film's ever seen, but it's not like anyone else coated themselves in glory tbf

2 hours ago, Armchair General said:

The musicals were kind of good, though

danny elfman is a legitimate master of his craft.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Nah. Roald Dahl kinda (read: actually and earnestly and with/in all truth) blows.

roald dahl can suck both my nuts and if i met him on the road i would kill him. i maintain the op to you

13 minutes ago, Integrity said:

but it's not like anyone else coated themselves in glory tbf

sorry i forgot about mrs beauregard who spent the entire half-hour of the film she was in making disgusted faces at johnny depp. iconic role tbf

I do not think I will ever understand why all the movie adaptations and spin-offs from this book seem to want to focus on Wonka. To me at least, Charlie Bucket is by far and away the more interesting character. Wonka isn't even a character, really. He's just a piece of plot that happens to Charlie. The heart of the story is about the working class kid who has never had any opportunity in his life, but suddenly gets one and ends up being able to seize it better than his far more spoiled and pampered contemporaries. But Hollywood isn't interested in telling that story, for some reason?

(Also: agree that Dahl varies from "a product of his time" at best to "bigoted doggerel" at worst.)

(Also also: I definitely won't be seeing this on the big screen, because I hate going to the cinema with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, but maybe I will see it when it makes its way to the small screen.)

On 12/23/2023 at 11:29 PM, Integrity said:

roald dahl can suck both my nuts and if i met him on the road i would kill him. i maintain the op to you

23 hours ago, lenticular said:

Also: agree that Dahl varies from "a product of his time" at best to "bigoted doggerel" at worst.)

That's a very passionate opinion to have about someone I know nothing about and who didn't cause the holocaust, I meant that his stories are bad.