What Game Genre is Princess Peach: Showtime! Supposed to Be?

Randoman

What game genre is Princess Peach: Showtime! supposed to be? They've shown a fair amount, regarding the game, but it still isn't clear to me what game genre it falls under (eg: platformer, RPG, etc.). I mean, from what I've seen, it seems with every transformation Peach has, the game genre changes. With Detective Peach, it makes the game seem like an RPG/detective game. With Pâtissière Peach, it makes the game seem like a mini-game compilation. The Mario Wiki states it's an action-adventure game, but with how much the gameplay changes with each transformation, I don't exactly agree with that.

I was interested in hearing your guys' thoughts/predictions on the matter. I ask since knowing a game's genre is a pretty big factor in determining if I buy it or not, and I have little to no idea as to what game genre Princess Peach: Showtime! is, especially regarding the conflicting information I'm getting.

From what the trailer showed, I think "Action-Adventure" is applicable enough, but we probably haven't seen everything the game has on offer. If you're hesitant about getting it, I'd wait for a review and see what they have to say regarding gameplay and mechanics.

Sorta unrelated, but the little star with the blue dress is called Stella? In the Spanish localizations they changed Rosalina's name to Estela. I wonder if they're going to call this new character Rosalina in the Spanish version lol

Anyway, you know A Hat In Time? The first world is traditional enough for a collect-a-thon 3D platformer, you just run around grabbing stuff, but then each subsequent world starts mixing things up and you end up getting levels that each follow their own distinct structure and play differently, even with their shared control scheme. From the looks of it, this might be something along the lines of that.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The game has a lot of platforming in it, so definitely qualifies as a platformer. "Action" also applies, particularly for Swordfighter, Cowgirl, Mighty, and Martial Artist. "Adventure"? I guess you could say there are adventure elements, but exploration is fairly limited here compared to most modern platformers. The structure is highly reminiscent of Kirby games, which makes the comparisons between this Peach and Kirby funnier. I'd say "Action Platformer" fits best.

On 3/31/2024 at 5:05 AM, Lord_Brand said:

The game has a lot of platforming in it, so definitely qualifies as a platformer. "Action" also applies, particularly for Swordfighter, Cowgirl, Mighty, and Martial Artist. "Adventure"? I guess you could say there are adventure elements, but exploration is fairly limited here compared to most modern platformers. The structure is highly reminiscent of Kirby games, which makes the comparisons between this Peach and Kirby funnier. I'd say "Action Platformer" fits best.

Good to know, thanks! I was hoping someone would give insight on Princess Peach: Showtime's genre once the game was out.