State of Play announced for 1/31

Perkilator

31 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

What are the chances of a new Musou?

I don’t really know what else to think outside of the major ones.

I'm gonna go with "much less likely than the February Direct, but not impossible." If it does, it's mainline DW or SW.

And I think we can entirely rule out the possibility of a Sony IP musou (God of Warriors, cough) for the forseeable future, because Sony views their titles as prestige games above that.

41 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

What are the chances of a new Musou?

I don’t really know what else to think outside of the major ones.

I think that's more likely to be shown in a Nintendo Direct. 

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

And I think we can entirely rule out the possibility of a Sony IP musou (God of Warriors, cough) for the forseeable future, because Sony views their titles as prestige games above that.

True. Warrior games have been rehabilitated to some extend since focusing on Nintendo characters and anime boys instead of obscure historical figures but they are still seen as pretty low brow. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think that's more likely to be shown in a Nintendo Direct. 

True. Warrior games have been rehabilitated to some extend since focusing on Nintendo characters and anime boys instead of obscure historical figures but they are still seen as pretty low brow. 

Low brow is an unkind way of putting "intentionally entry level," but yes. 

I'm of course only calling it as I think Sony sees it. Though the notion that The Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima are somehow more high brow and culturally significant than Zelda, FE, and Persona is absurd nonsense to me.

I watched the State of Play. Most of the games don't really interest me; not that they're bad or anything; just that most of them are not my cup of tea.

1. V Rising kind-of looks interesting; a vampire RPG with base-building elements is an interesting premise.

2. I've heard good things about the gameplay of Dragon's Dogma and mixed things about the story of Dragon's Dogma. The sequel looks like it'll be similar, but I need to see more of it before making a decision.

3. I know it's a Team Ninja game, but with how much the historical setting is the main thing they're selling Rise of the Ronin on, I was not expecting the glider or the grappling hook, and I definitely wasn't expecting what appeared to be a zombie with claw weapons. Otherwise, the game looks kind-of like a Nioh version of Sekiro but with rifles and flamethrowers.

Incidentally, I recognized the name of the boss that appears in the trailer: Nagakura Shinpachi. He's a historical domain character that appeared in the anime Golden Kamuy. He was a member the Shinsengumi: an order of samurai that fought for the Shogunate. I'm going to guess that either the fight is unwinnable or the game has him survive the battle after you beat him, and I think this because the historical Nagakura survived the Boshin war between Meiji and the Shogunate, lived as a kenjutsu instructor in Hokkaido, and died in the 1910s (the game takes place in the mid-to-late 1860s).

4. They really gave a lot of time to Kojima. Wow. I'm surprised that the game is a new Death Stranding game; I thought he would've moved on to a new IP. It sounds like he's then going to make a new stealth game after this; that sounds neat. But all this attention being given to him, and him saying that he hopes the stealth game will be the culmination of his prior work, makes me wonder if he's considering retiring or at least taking a break.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The Meiji restoration is always a fun era so I have my eye on Ronin. 

It is certainly an interesting point in history. If I were in Team Ninja's position, I would lean heavily on the "set during the Boshin war" aspect of the game.

There's a small part of me that would like to see a DLC set in Hokkaido (then called Ezo) during the tail end of the Boshin war, when the last of the Shogunate forces fled to Hokkaido and tried to form the Republic of Ezo. I think that would push me toward wanting to get the game, as I find Hokkaido's history really fascinating.