FF7 Rebirth State of Play announced for 2/6

Perkilator

This genuinely shocked me because I thought they would do a trailer for today's State of Play but this is pretty exciting!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to pretend that this is where Tifa is announced for Tekken 8

It makes sense that they'd give this it's own state of play.

It looks interesting, and I'll probably give it a watch, but I know I'll be sitting out on Rebirth, at least for a while. The FF7R games are a timeline-sequel where the plot relies on the player having prior knowledge on the plot of FF7, and I don't; I'm a complete newcomer to the franchise. I bought Final Fantasy 7 Remake because Square Enix falsely-advertised it as a remake and I thought that a full-overhaul remake of FF7 would be perfect starting point, only for the game to lose me when it started doing the timeline and plot-ghost stuff.

I'm glad that there hasn't been any such false-advertising with Rebirth; they have been acknowledging what the game really is. However, they're still trying to advertise the game to newcomers who haven't played FF7. Hamaguchi: the director of Rebirth, actually said in an interview that he thinks it wouldn't make sense to direct people to FF7 when FF7R exists, and that was in the same interview where he revealed that the Whispers (the plot-ghosts) will be returning in some form in Rebirth. How does he not see the contradiction?

28 minutes ago, Hrothgar777 said:

As a complete Final Fantasy noob who's never played a single entry to the series, my question is: how many times does FF7 need to be remade? Am I missing something here?

The FF7R series: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and the third one that will be announced after Rebirth releases, are not remakes; they are one story split across three games, and that story is a timeline-sequel to Final Fantasy 7.

A much easier way to think to of them is to think of the whole FF7R project as one sequel to FF7, with "Remake" being part 1 and "Rebirth" being part 2.

To my knowledge, FF7 never actually has been remade. It's been ported a million times and received multiple spinoffs and a prequel (Crisis Core), but it has never received an actual remake. That's one reason that FF7R turning out to be a sequel and not a remake really disappointed a lot of fans and newcomers who wanted a remake and were led to believe that it was a remake by FF7R Part 1's false advertising.

It all looked pretty good. So much so that I'm tempted to finally get a PS5 because of it.

My main hope is that the game will finally fix Sephiroth. After the original game he and Cloud were greatly simplified into two very boring characters. And while remake went above and beyond to make Cloud an engaging character it seemed to revel in the simplification of Sephiroth. Shinra was quite the great and topical antagonist so if they want to replace them with Sephiroth then Sephiroth needs some work to match them. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor