Branched Promotions or One-Way Promotions

Junkhead

Branched Promotions or One-Way Promotions?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Wich do you prefer?

• Brached Promotions
    • One-Way Promotions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Single Promotions for me. Unless IS is intelligent enough (pun not intended) to actually balance both classes and make them both viable, there will inevitably be one of the two classes that is completely better than the other, effectively making the choice for you, unless you just really like the other class. I'm moreso a fan of having character-specific promotions instead, where a character would determine what class they promote to from their base class instead of giving the branching option.

Single promotion. I always believe that there are ties between a character and his/her class. So I prefer the specific promotion that will keep the characters images.

Both of them have their strong points, but I'd go with one-way because that's how tradition normally dictates that things be done, and it's easier on the mind since you don't have to worry about which class promotes to what as much. (This class also promotes to this class?)

One-way cause some of the classes are already unbalanced. Branched promotions is just creating a furthur imbalance. I'd like to see a balanced FE game (no classes being absolutely superior/inferior to others) but sadly, I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Why the hell would people want promotions to be one-way!?

Branched promotions means that you'l have more classes, and if you don't like what a character promotes into, you can get something entirely different. Branched Promotions make everything funner and adds more creativity to playing the game, instead of it having static options you're forced to choose.

If the branched promotion system would be similar to the one used in that one Genealogy hack (forgot its name), then branched. Otherwise, though, I prefer one-way promotion, since it's been a tradition for units to promote to a certain class, and I like to stick to that tradition. It's why all FE8 Cavaliers become Paladins and all Pegasus Knights become Falcoknights for me in Sacred Stones ;)

I would say 1-way promotions are way better. The idea of branching promotions is cool, but for many characters there is 1 class that is much better. So in the end you have a 50% chance of getting a crappy unit who could have been good as a different class.

I voted for one-way promotions simply because I like my characters to fit their class. For example, I totally can't envision Ewan as a Summoner.

Although the strangest thing is I don't mind FEDS's Class Swap system. In fact, I rather like it. Maybe that's because their growth rates actually change. *shrugs*

Wait, what?

Sorry, did I hear: "One way is better because sometimes one class is way better"? Well then just use that class, at least you have another option.

It's like saying: Would you rather get an apple, or an apple and a banana? Some people might not like bananas, but who cares because it's something extra. You don't HAVE to eat it, and you might not eat it, but at least it's THERE.

If the branched promotion system would be similar to the one used in that one Genealogy hack (forgot its name), then branched.

I think you mean the Binary hack.

Otherwise, though, I prefer one-way promotion, since it's been a tradition for units to promote to a certain class, and I like to stick to that tradition. It's why all FE8 Cavaliers become Paladins and all Pegasus Knights become Falcoknights for me in Sacred Stones ;)

But I like my flying snakes of doom and their transgender riders

As for me, I'd say make it more like FE 5. Yes, it was a single path but there was some differences, namely Machuya the Mercenary and Miranda the Mage Knight.

IIRC, we're getting this in MK404's hack, minus the playable Assassins and Wyvernknights but there's always the Nightmare editor for that...

Branched promotions do add a little variety, but in most cases, one class is often better for the unit promoting. (Like Ross into a fighter, since there's basically only one Ocean Seal, and Colm's most likely getting that.) Unless Intelligent Systems does something about it, the balance between classes, I feel, will still seem uneven. Thus, I feel that one path > a branched path.

Edited by Staraptor

Branched promotions do add a little variety, but in most cases, one class is often better for the unit promoting. (Like Ross into a fighter, since there's basically only one Ocean Seal, and Colm's most likely getting that.) Unless Intelligent Systems does something about it, the balance between classes, I feel, will still seem uneven. Thus, I feel that one path > a branched path.

Seriously, can someone give me the reasoning behind this?

One class is better, therefore having no choice wins? With branched, you can always just choose the better class, but you also have the OPTION of taking the other one. Single path only has one option period.

YOU GUYS LACK LOGIC! GRAH!

EDIT: And if you want to extend that, some CHARACTERS are clearly better than others, so should we cut it down to a one CHARACTER game?

Just asking is all, the position seems poorly thought out.

Edited by ZXValaRevan