Share your wishlist / ideas for the next Smash game (Discussion thread)

Perkilator

Fighters

Spoiler

New Fighters (Bold indicates a new series being added)

• Pauline
  • Waluigi
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ravenbeak
  • Waddle Dee
  • Slippy Toad
  • Peppy Hare
  • Krystal
  • Gengar
  • Gardevoir
  • Braixen
  • Octoling
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Tails
  • Knuckles
  • Dr. Wily & Robot Masters
  • Proto Man
  • Chun-Li
  • Garland
  • Alucard
  • Gruntilda
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Shantae
  • Custom Fighters (see New Features)

New Costumes

• Ninten for Ness
  • James McCloud for Fox
  • Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man

Cuts I Wouldn't Mind

• Mr. Game & Watch
  • R.O.B.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Dr. Mario
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Little Mac
  • Mii Fighters
  • Piranha Plant

Bosses

Spoiler

Mother Brain
The final boss of the original Metroid, who made a dramatic return in Super Metroid with a large, terrifying body and a devastating beam attack.

Death Egg Robo
Eggman's most iconic boss mech, which serves as the final boss of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Wily Machine
One of Doctor Wily's many battle machines. This one comes from Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters for arcades.

Chaos
The final boss of the original Final Fantasy. Garland takes this form when the Warriors of Light encounter him 2,000 years in the past.

New Features

Spoiler

Custom Fighters
I'm not talking Mii Fighters, to be clear here. I'm talking a much more full-fledged custom fighter system, with a wide variety of aesthetic and gameplay options such as series, species, build, colors, clothing, voices, specials, fighting styles, etc. Create a variant of an existing fighter, or one wholly new yet fitting for their series. Some of the cut fighters could also be recreated this way, especially the Mii Fighters who would probably be folded into this feature.

Adventure Map
A more interactive adventure map with personality. Different characters hang out here and can be talked to, many of whom have quests or challenges for you. Different stages show up as dioramas here.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

On the topic of the pre-mentioned roguelike Adventure Mode, my vision would entail the following:

• Branching paths with levels split between text-box interactions, platforming, enemies, Target Test, bosses and rescuing fighters similar to NASB 2
  • Side-scrolling levels in a similar vein to Melee's Adventure Mode and SSE
  • Enemies and stat boosts from Smash Run
  • Spirits to benefit you depending on the nature of your run, similar to WoL
  • Slowly rising difficulty with the progression through each stage, similar to Ultimate's Classic Mode, except here the difficulty is based on the theme of the stage
    • The early stages are Beginner difficulty, while later stages rise to Easy to Normal to Hard to Expert
Edited by Perkilator

Hmm...what if each fighter had their own portion of the Adventure Board? Like, their own set of stages, their own boss(es), and perhaps fighter unlock stages that in turn open up new areas of the board? When attempting to clear a stage on the Adventure Map for the first time, you may be required to play a specific fighter, but after clearing that stage the first time, are free to use any fighter you like.

I also think it'd be neat if they had some "transition" stages that connect different sections of the board together. For example, say Mario and Sonic's sections of the map are connected by such a stage that transitions from Mushroom Kingdom to Green Hill Zone or vice versa. Depending on which side of the stage you enter from, you end the stage either by jumping through a giant ring at the end of Sonic's half, or sliding down a flagpole at the end of Mario's half. Thus, this stage could be said to have "A" and "B" variants.

Fighters would have Adventure Stage clear animations accordingly. Regardless of the exact stage clear mechanism (each series could have one), the fighters will perform their stage clear animations afterward.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I want Alain in the next Smash, because the reaction to a blue-haired sword lord who isn't from Fire Emblem would be aggressively hilarious to me.

And also, Unicorn Overlord is genuinely the best game in its genre in damn near 20 years, so it's earned it.