FE12 Fan Criticizes FE12 Maps For Far Too Much Of His Time

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

0 Dollar footlong, because you didn't pay for this game.

I actually have paid for a copy of New Mystery. Because I was under the impression original DS titles didn't have region locking only to be cucked by the fact that New Mystery has online features or something and thus is region locked. Stupid DSI.

This chapter is neither of those thing, and is therefore the only good gaiden map in this game.

Hey, I liked the Legion gaiden. Especially on Normal Mode where it's a whole map based around the arena concept of "How long can I gamble on grinding using this before I lose someone". On Maniac it became more of a desperate rush to the top right Legion and hope the rng made him the real one (it is randomized, right?). But in fairness to be I was doing a challenge run on Maniac so the normal mode vibe might be more easily felt if you're not stuck using the newly recruited Dice and Malice (Horace will still be there dying like wet tissue paper though).

Now let me talk about the REAL reason this chapter is amazing, past the map design. This chapter respects Wrys. Many units in FE12 are simply thrown in for the sake of "Everyone is here!". But my guy the one who cannot fight gets his own chapter, and it's actually good! Tell me that's a coincidence! To top it off, he even re-recruits himself with his iconic catchphrase: "Rebellions are like seeds". 

The assassins are going out of their way to murder this particular old man, while people like Athena are simply thrown at you at the start of 13x, and Ceasar and Radd are simply there because mercenary moment, although Ceasar is a bit interesting to me. To Oblivion with Malicia. Wrys is where it's at!

You find Caesar interesting? Well let me direct you to this fangame in which he stars Okay, I'll take a break from shilling Pyrathi this time. Instead I'll shill this thread

Because it's about that very concept and you're right. Wrys  getting a moment to himself is good. Shame New Mystery barely bothers to do so beyond that.

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

To top it off, he even re-recruits himself with his iconic catchphrase: "Rebellions are like seeds". 

My favorite part of FE12 is when Wrys says "that wasn't even my best trap," unsheathes his levin sword and defeats Hardin singlehanded.

Anyway, yeah, this map's always a fun time. If only the rest of them could've been more like this.

58 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My favorite part of FE12 is when Wrys says "that wasn't even my best trap," unsheathes his levin sword and defeats Hardin singlehanded.

Anyway, yeah, this map's always a fun time. If only the rest of them could've been more like this.

Honestly I feel like Riev doesn't even do anything at all. He basically stands around looking menacing and then you fight him twice near the end where it's a moment of "Oh yeah, that guy's still alive." Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but he actually has zero connection to Lyon's experiments or corruption and stuff. That's all Knoll's territory. Lyon just got corrupt all on his own and Riev basically just showed up afterwards to do the Demon King's bidding, being lucky enough to be the one crazy satanist worshipper who happens to be alive at the same time his god is actually returning by sheer happenstance. Not saying it be necessarily better if Riev was the man behind it all, it's good that Lyon is corrupted via his own ambition and naivety rather than some obviously untrustworthy guy telling him to do something obviously shady. But it does leave Riev largely without a role or purpose in the plot other than to be basically Xemcel (I do wish Xemcel got to stand around looking menacing earlier in Shadow Dragon though).

Riev is by far the best bonus unit though. A staffs+slayer+defense better than Moulder = a monster's worst nightmare.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Honestly I feel like Riev doesn't even do anything at all. He basically stands around looking menacing and then you fight him twice near the end where it's a moment of "Oh yeah, that guy's still alive." Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but he actually has zero connection to Lyon's experiments or corruption and stuff. That's all Knoll's territory. Lyon just got corrupt all on his own and Riev basically just showed up afterwards to do the Demon King's bidding, being lucky enough to be the one crazy satanist worshipper who happens to be alive at the same time his god is actually returning by sheer happenstance. Not saying it be necessarily better if Riev was the man behind it all, it's good that Lyon is corrupted via his own ambition and naivety rather than some obviously untrustworthy guy telling him to do something obviously shady. But it does leave Riev largely without a role or purpose in the plot other than to be basically Xemcel (I do wish Xemcel got to stand around looking menacing earlier in Shadow Dragon though).

Riev is by far the best bonus unit though. A staffs+slayer+defense better than Moulder = a monster's worst nightmare.

Aptly put, just uh... wrong thread lmao

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's what happens when I post after my bed time.

• 2 weeks later...

Replies:

Spoiler
On 4/30/2024 at 9:38 PM, Jotari said:

I actually have paid for a copy of New Mystery. Because I was under the impression original DS titles didn't have region locking only to be cucked by the fact that New Mystery has online features or something and thus is region locked. Stupid DSI.

So now you're obligated to become a collector. Congrats.

Hey, I liked the Legion gaiden. Especially on Normal Mode where it's a whole map based around the arena concept of "How long can I gamble on grinding using this before I lose someone". On Maniac it became more of a desperate rush to the top right Legion and hope the rng made him the real one (it is randomized, right?). But in fairness to be I was doing a challenge run on Maniac so the normal mode vibe might be more easily felt if you're not stuck using the newly recruited Dice and Malice (Horace will still be there dying like wet tissue paper though

You can actually find out which legion is the right one through an exploit in unit cycling. Use the L button to cycle through regular bad guys, and whichever boss it lands on first is the one selected. This will reset each time you restart the chapter though, so if you die, don't just assume it's the same.

That said, that doesn't mean the chapter is fun. Gambling for xp isn't good map design, or even map design at all. It's literal admitted RNG, in which ambush berserkers with crit can just kill you even if you are prepared and just trying to beat it quickly in an ironman setting is hectic when you physically cannot do anything about reinforcements that WILL be in your range. It's just stupid no matter how you look at it. Of course, this post is with maniac and lunatic only in mind. It's possibly fair in normal, as I assume the Legion's aren't ambush, but that would make them too easy to abuse for xp, but I guess normal mode players aren't looking for balanced gameplay.

You find Caesar interesting? Well let me direct you to this fangame in which he stars Okay, I'll take a break from shilling Pyrathi this time. Instead I'll shill this thread

Because it's about that very concept and you're right. Wrys  getting a moment to himself is good. Shame New Mystery barely bothers to do so beyond that.

Ya know, I respect how often you're willing to shill things you've made. One day I'll find the time to play your thing, but damn is that catalogue getting full. Ruben will start a war against America if I don't start Berwick soon, and I fear Biden accidentally sending a nuke to his own country instead of Spain.

On 5/1/2024 at 7:47 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Gharnef trembles and stammers as the Darksphere shatters into a thousand pieces, completely useless against the man with no hair. 

"No! Not into the pit! It buuuuurrrrnns!"

On 5/1/2024 at 7:47 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Why didn't you do anything about this Ruben?

On 5/1/2024 at 8:57 AM, Jotari said:

Yeah that's my favorite part of chapter 3x. Can't believe I forgot to mention that.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:36 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

How could you do this to me Ruben? You're awful. I will never recover.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:49 PM, Jotari said:

That's what happens when I post after my bed time.

It happens to the best of us.

Chapter 4: Yumina vs Yuliya

Spoiler

HjDDbCl.png

50% Joy

50% Sorrow (Walk Emblem)

Note:

• 2 pirates are added from Normal to Hard mode (1 west, 1 east)
  • Reinforcements are significantly increased between Hard mode and Maniac mode (4 to 11)
  • You obtain 3 units at the start of the map on the opposite side of the map, with 1 recruitable enemy unit nearby and a unit you enter a village to recruit:

New Units:

1. Yubello (Jubelo): 18 HP   1 MAG   1 SKL   6 SPD   5 LCK   3 DEF   3 RES   [D rank Tomes]
    • Yubello, as a result of FE12 class bases clashing with FE3 bases, has a magic base stat of negative 2
      • Class base is 3 magic. Yubello has 1 as a mage. 
    • In the original FE3, Linde and Merric only have a 20% magic growth, while Yubello has 50%. In FE12, Merric and Linde have been given a 40% magic growth, but Yubello was left at 50%
      • Yubello's bases are exactly the same as his FE3 counterpart, with the only difference in growth rates being a +10% increase in skill. speed, defense, and luck (17% for RES)
  2. Yumina (Yuliya): 16 HP   2 MAG   1 SKL   7 SPD   9 LCK   2 DEF   5 RES   [D rank Staves]
    • In FE3, Yumina was the only unit capable of using the rescue staff. This has been changed so anybody capable of wielding staves can use it, requiring the bare minimum of an E rank in staves.
    • Saint Rubenio really likes this unit for unknown reasons.
  3. Ogma: 27 HP   14 SKL   13 SPD   5 LCK   8 DEF   0 RES   [C rank Swords]
    • Levels and growth rates are carried over from the prologue
  4. Sirius: 28 HP   12 STR   1 MAG   14 SKL   13 SPD   4 LCK   11 DEF   6 RES   [A rank Lances, B rank swords] 
    • Talk with Ogma to recruit him
    • He is often considered one of the best units in the entire game, with his low luck even considered a greater benefit than a bane due to how it can manipulate the enemy AI
    • Is a mysterious figure whose identity is still a New Mystery to the fandom to this day
  5. Castor: 24 HP   7 SKL   10 SPD   4 LCK   6 DEF   0 RES   [C rank bows]
    • Enter village to recruit
    • Even if one don't want to use him, recruiting him gives you a rare hunter slot available for reclassing

Enemy Stats:

• Maniac:
    • Pirate: 25 Might
    • Pirate 24 Might
    • Hunter: 16 - 17 Might
    • Devil Thief: 26 - (27) Might
    • Steel Thief: 17 - (18) MIght

IKBPbGo.png

• Average Might: 26 and 17 might
    • Units such as untrained Bord and Cord can survive against brigands with 2 spare HP, however will die if reclasses to certain other classes, such as Hunter Cord
    • Hunters are relatively weak and shouldn't pose any significant threat to your units if not sharing range with a brigand.
      • Their strength stat barely changes between difficulties, unlike fighters who gain +3 strength per difficulty increase (except for the jump to lunatic).
  • Average Speed: 10 and 14
    • Cavalier Palla at base will have 14 speed, allowing her to double most non thief enemies (certain hunters may spawn with 11 spd) and she can make short work of brigands if given the lady sword.
    • Matthis barely has enough speed to not get doubled. 
    • Bord DOES get doubled at base. If using him, pirate is recommended at first. The +2 speed bonus is practically mandatory to make Bord viable at first.

• Lunatic:
    • Hand Axe Pirate: 24 - 25 Might
    • SIlver Axe Pirate 29 - 30 Might
    • Hunter: 21 - (22) Might
    • Devil Thief: 28 - 29 Might
    • Silv Thief: 23 - 24 Might

TzFmYxD.png

• Average Might: 30 Might and 24 Might
    • Although 29 is more of an average amongst enemies, I always go into this chapter with the 30 threshold in mind. It's an intimidating number that will destroy units like Matthis, Bord, and Cord if not moderately trained with decent HP growths. 
    • Hunters likely kill most units in combination with brigands other than Kris, but units such as cav Palla can survive 2 hunter strikes as a cavalier.
    • Hunters kill an untrained Linde in one shot.
    • Even at the lower RNG rolls, a hunter and a brigand will be enough to kill Sirius, so he is not viable for choking the point on lunatic.
  • Average Speed: 11 and 16
    • There is a 50% chance that brigands will have 10 speed, which is identical to what they had back in ch1, only now Marth should be much more likely to have reached doubling threshold, if you had trained him earlier.
    • 10 speed is enough for base cav Palla to double and 1RKO the brigands with the lady sword.
      • Personal suggestion for those unfortunate enough to use Catria is to have her leveled enough to double as cav (16/17 as peg, 14/15 as cav), which is relatively easy given her incredibly high speed growth, and have her double with the lady sword while Palla remains as a flier to use her silver lance while having high reach, helping immensely on the sand terrain and reaching the eastern zone where the Grust royals are trapped in time. As hunters can spawn with 12 speed, her 16 base speed will let her double them as well.
      • If not using either, it is recommended that you bring them anyways on lunatic simply to let Catria plug one of the starting forts as a flier quickly while Palla works on aggro'ing the eastern brigands before they launch their assault on Ogma balls.
    • At this point, enemies will start becoming noticeably faster each chapter, so units such as Matthis will need extensive feeding to catch up with their measly speed of 7, as many units should either have 10+ speed by now or be Palla and Catria, who are naturally speedy. 
      • General Arran can still avoid being doubled by most enemies, but not for long.
    • Bord has 6 speed as a fighter. He has 8 as a pirate. This reclass will allow him to avoid being doubled by pirates, although there is a good chance he will die in one hit anyways.

Reinforcements:

• Maniac:
    • Turn 3, 5, & 7: 
      • One hunter from the center of the western forts
      • Two barbarians from the left and right of the western forts
    • Turn 5 & 7:
      • One pirate from the east fort
  • Lunatic:
    • Turn 2, 3, & 4:
      • One hunter from the center of the western forts
      • Two barbarians from the left and right of the western forts
    • Turn 3 & 4:
      • One pirate from the east fort

Review: 

By now, if you are not planning on using unconventional units such as Matthis and Bord, you should have a team of relatively fast units by now. Palla and Catria are generally very fast and won't have trouble reaching the doubling threshold even on the highest difficulty. Marth is the most dependent on RNG, but he generally should double brigands if you were giving him decent kills in prologue 8 and a few dracos eariler. Units like Draug and even invested Lukes can also quickly reach 16+ speed by now. I mention this because if you ARE using someone like Matthis, you are already getting doubled and it's only getting faster from here, as you likely only obtained him at the end of chapter 3, and using him in a fast paced chapter like 3x is extremely unviable.

Spoiler

Ed4bRjj.png

Most of the time at least

In many other cases though, it's not the biggest worry anymore like in the first 2 chapters with the 7th platoon. At this point, you've received many competent units that you can replace them with, so they will no longer be mentioned with upcoming chapter stats in mind, as you realistically would only be having 2 or so of them that you've given a lot of xp to. Many enemies in chapter 2 and 3 had 11 speed, and it's mostly the same here. These past few chapters are your chance to get growths that will allow you to outgrow the enemy while their stats remain relatively unchanged. However, after this chapter, enemies will start getting stronger and fast each chapter, so train units wisely.

5bhvDcT.png

As for the actual chapter itself, the first turn is quite challenging. Although it looks like nothing more that 5 enemies generally parked around forts, the sand surrounding them makes their ranges just spread out enough so that you can take them out without overlapping with too many of them if played just right. Moreover, it makes reaching the forts themselves to block its own challenge. This is especially apparent on lunatic, where they spawn as early as turn 2, and you will not have time to fend them off, as you need to race the other side of the map at lightning speed if you wish to save the Grustians and Scar Face. This map is often used as an example of good ambush design, as its one of very few times in the series where a cutscene explicitly warns you that they will attempt to ambush you soon. Of course, you could argue that you won't know of the turn 2 change on lunatic and will still be surprised, but at least you die very early on, so almost no progress is lost, and for what it's worth, the tactics of designing your starting turn and move-set around defeating the enemy and plugging the forts while having spare units give chase east is very fun and challenging to me, so I think it's a sacrifice worth making.

Z9jgUar.png

vTXcoYg.png

Here is one of my many runs of this chapter in which I hyper fixate over a single turn in a DS game and why it's the best thing in an early game, combining pretty well with chapter 3x. This one came from a no Kris run, and after a shard trade with Bord, Ryan deals just enough damage to finish off a brigand.

You can see from these screenshots that the northern brigand and hunter out of visibility have a very peculiar range in which you have a chance to attack the lower brigands with 2 range. If you can't 1RKO them, and you probably can't, you'll need someone to go and finish them off, which can be difficult depending on your team.

Ryan here is in range of the hunter above, who is luckily weak, so you aren't necessarily forced into having tanky units that can survive a 30 and reach this part of the map on turn 1. 

1LOf24O.pngr

The western brigand however DOES share range with a heavy hitting north brigand, so if you attack from 1 range, you will need a reliable tank such as General Arran if you cannot use someone like Kris to survive. Your ability to approach these enemies on turn 1 hinges on your preparation deployment, something I always appreciate requiring careful planning in your FE. You'll need just the right balance of mounted units far enough to make it far northeast while having your foot units close enough to contribute to the fight in sand land. It's especially fun when you have shards to consider and trade strats that can make or break your strategy such as the Bord+Ryan combo shown here.

Keep in mind that there is a thief down below at the start of the map, so you will also need to dedicate at least 2 units to kill them. I often have Bord and Cord work together on them, but sometimes I use mage Matthis, or curate Matthis but that's irrelevant. Turn 1 is incredibly tight and every move matters, especially on lunatic. The main difference between maniac and lunatic here is the leniency of how much time you have to plug the forts and rush right. Whether you enjoy being pushed to your limit to plan perfectly and pull off just the right move-sets to guarantee safety or desire a bit of a breather in between battles will likely determine the difficulty you'll gratitude towards, but both provide competent challenges that are more interesting to work around than the standard FE map.

7Ijxc3T.png

In this particular run, I actually decided to not use any fliers for once. This led to me being unable to plug all 3 points by the end of turn 2, but luckily you can still survive if just one is left open, assuming the nearby units aren't your more fragile ones. In this situation, my moderately trained Bord had a shard and I knew would barely survive by 1 HP. They will keep spawning until turn 4's end, so do keep that in mind if fighting them.

It should be obvious by now, but the main challenge in reaching the forts is the fact that they are surrounded by sand. Combine this with the 2 turn limit on lunatic, and you really need to count your tiles to ensure that you can plug the holes in time, something that's really difficult to do if you're heavily reliant on cavs, who happened to be the best classes for Palla and Catria combat wise.

Similarly, once you're past this part, you'll need to run a marathon straight to Oghma mountains, as the platoon of enemies will all rush the funny children the moment the eastern reinforcement brigand spawn. In other words, on lunatic, you have only 3 turns to get their attention. This is....really annoying on your first run or 2, as you might not expect them to ambush clearly underleveled units so fast, and any old plans to have Sirius tank like in lower difficulties simply won't work, so it's very common to get multiple death resets here. That said, once you've gotten it in your head that there's a strict time limit and that Sirius can only be good outside of his base class not under babysitting duty, it can be quite fun dealing with said enemies.

• One annoyance worth noting: On maniac, you might end up dying to the turn 7 eastern ambush spawning brigand, as he can be rather unexpected. Once you see the turn 5 one spawn, you may assume the fort served its purpose of aggro'ing the squad. Given that you have more time to send your army on maniac, it's very possible to rout the majority of them between turn 5 and 7, so heading east only to be insta killed by a sudden spawn feels extremely random and cheap.
    • On hard, reinforcement spawns happen all at once in turn 6. Only maniac adds repeating waves. I consider them to be unnecessary and only serve as jump scares and cheap deaths.
    • Lunatic reinforcements happen the same number of times as maniac, but are placed together, happening on turn 3 and 4, so it's incredibly unlikely this will actually impact you, and the added enemy is mostly there to be an extra threat to the now mobile wave headed your way, while the western plugged zone is at least consistent now and you know to leave after 3 turns instead of fearing they'll spawn later.

Often times, I use Palla with a silver lance to gain 1 brigand's attention, causing the remaining brigands to give chase (except occasionally one). At this point, you will have to retreat and fend off the oncoming wave while ensuring you don't let the sand prevent you from outrunning the bandits. It's something I've enjoyed quite a lot in recent runs specifically. It sounds simple as a premise, but pulling it off can be rather complicated. It's not completely unfair or reliant on stat bloat either, as I have done this while feeding kills to peg Linde. The extreme might of brgands essentially guarantees that you physically cannot have anyone tank them through vuln chugging, not even Kris. 

That said, there was 1 or 2 runs where I did simply rescue Kris north with Yumina and have him actually tank the enemies, but this requires a Kris that has more or less already capped this early into the game AND that you're using rainbow potions. It's an extremely unreliable strategy overall, but it is somewhat feasible for Kris abusers in maniac, and the rainbow potion does help Sirius tank a fair bit on maniac, but this thread isn't about cheating. That's for Caedas. 

Yumina is expected to rescue Ogma back to her once talking to Sirius, as he will be sliced into a thousand balls on maniac and above, but there is always the option to rescue other units to her, although it's mostly for the best that you conserve rescue uses for now. 

Unfortunately, once you finish all that, you are left with the saddest part of the map.

4atgepU.png

Genealogy reference.

I won't bother showing as example, because it's plainly obvious from the map layout itself. It's long. It's really big. There will be a lot of walking. Just walking. Especially for Mr No Pants. If you didn't already make Marth head down due to needing him in combat, you have to walk Marth allll the way back to the beginning to enter the bottom village, just so he can walk aaallll the way north east on the opposite side of the map, past multiple sand tiles, just so he can re-recruit the man who's outdone by a reclassed Cord in Shadw Dragon. Then he can go back down through MORE sand, just to seize the throne. You will spend several  turns after routing most the of map with Marth running around the place. This is the main flaw with the design of a rush map built around sand while placing villages for the lord to run about, almost completely irrelevant to the map design itself. 

In other words, it's a great map with some cheap shots and way too much walking, because chapter 3 didn't have enough of that, and this sadly won't be the last time either. This is also known as a Kaga moment.

Rating: 7.5/10

Spoiler

It's a good map for sure, and it comes close to being a great map, but those first few maniac/lunatic runs of reinforcement deaths combined with the mind numbing degree of walk emblem afterwards really brings it down. Unfortunate. It has some of the best moments of early game FE12. I find this chapter to be much better on lunatic than on maniac, despite the seemingly less forgiving ambush spawns. Maniac ones being spread apart by an extra turn only serves to throw off players and when you're playing lunatic, you're likely aware of the maniac reinforcements and least and will eventually learn the pattern that many reinforcements on lunatic are maniac reinforcements, but done 1 turn earlier. There will be exceptions however, as we'll soon discuss.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

So now you're obligated to become a collector. Congrats.

Nah, gave it to my coworker's son. When I asked her a month or two later she said he found it too difficult. I wonder if normal mode is extremely challenging for a child or if he jumped into Lunatic right away 🤔 

with his low luck even considered a greater benefit than a bane due to how it can manipulate the enemy AI

That's interesting. You will go into detail about how that works, right?

There will be a lot of walking. Just walking. Especially for Mr No Pants. If you didn't already make Marth head down due to needing him in combat, you have to walk Marth allll the way back to the beginning to enter the bottom village, just so he can walk aaallll the way north east on the opposite side of the map, past multiple sand tiles, just so he can re-recruit the man who's outdone by a reclassed Cord in Shadw Dragon

Yeah, that's basically what I remember from this chapter. Desperately needing Marth for combat in the first handful of turns but him being busy recruitment Castor. If they were going to do a Genealogy reference, why not give me the pursuit ring or something from that really suspicious peninsula that is absolutely irrelevant? And what is Castor even doing in that village? He's from Talys, just work him into the plot by having him be working for Ogma. Then we get a long range chip option on the right side.

Also you never mentioned it, but what a Ghebtastic boss design.

Edited by Jotari

So I skipped over 3x because I'm rather indifferent about it, it's the one gaiden chapter that is okay-ish for me, and all I really have to say is it's probably the clearest sign of how much FE12 manipulates enemy stats with armors matching archers for speed. Your call whether you like it or not, I'm just telling it like it is.

Continuing on my redaction in Chapter 3, this is another map where I don't like the changes from the original. Sirius would auto-recruit himself, and while it is complete overkill in FE3 it would be a lot more appreciated here because of how unfair that corner is. Thankfully the enemy density was also halved, but when each enemy has the strength of ten it's less of a comfort. You can always burn a Rescue charge or two to bring Marth and a better fighter up but that it doesn't feel good having to use such a rare and limited staff, although in Marth's case it does shorten the map. (Seconding everyone who thinks Marth should start in range of Shaver on turn 1.)

And I'll go one further on Jotari's point about making Castor more available: move Barst to joining here with Ogma instead of plopping him in the very next chapter. It'd give him a better entry point, give that squad another front-liner and maybe encourage people to use him more.

Closing thoughts, I got two questions for you, Shaky:
1) What do you think about Drill Grounds and its unique leveling formula? Slightly relevant since you get it here.
2) More intended for earlier, what would you say to this change: Pegasus Knight class gets +2 Speed base and it's taken out of the playable pegs' personal bases.

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

And I'll go one further on Jotari's point about making Castor more available: move Barst to joining here with Ogma instead of plopping him in the very next chapter. It'd give him a better entry point, give that squad another front-liner and maybe encourage people to use him more.

It would be a bit excessive to have all three of the axe bros with Ogma here on this chapter, but they all should have been connected to him narratively. They're in this part of the world because they're helping Ogma out. Not because they decided to travel to the complete other side of the continent to help Marth with a conflict Marth didn't even know he would be fighting. So, yeah, putting one of them here instead of the complete randomness of their other join times makes perfect sense. But the other two should mention Ogma when they join too. Hell maybe one of them should join in Chapter 1. You don't get any natural axe users with the starting brigade and it's already in close proximity to Ogma.

This post won't be about chapter 5, but rather a shrine to Wrys who I've yet to include in any display whatsoever, as well as bits of elaboration on replies and other things about FE12 in general. Chapter 5 might take some time due to how immense the changes from maniac to lunatic are. I've highlighted replies that will have particularly informative answers, at least to the best of my abilities. 

Replies:

Spoiler

On 5/10/2024 at 4:05 AM, Jotari said:

Nah, gave it to my coworker's son. When I asked her a month or two later she said he found it too difficult. I wonder if normal mode is extremely challenging for a child or if he jumped into Lunatic right away 🤔 

I know a guy who jumped straight into lunatic. I have no idea why, they weren't even that experienced with FE.

That's interesting. You will go into detail about how that works, right?

I believe I briefly touched this during the prologue, but given that it has been months since those posts, and something like that should be frequently brought up to bring everyone reading up to speed, I do apologize for saving myself 45 seconds of explaining it and giving Jotari a panic attack. Plus, there's a lot to say about Sirius and how enemy luck will average out throughout the game, so let's discuss that now (I will be frequently bringing up Sirius base stat reclass thresholds in the next few posts similar to how I bring up Pirate Draug bases or General Arran bases while they last).

Throughout the next several chapters, enemies will have an average of 6 crit. Sirius has 4 luck.

This means that the majority of enemies will have a 2% chance to land a critical hit on him for the majority of the first half of the game. 

This is often considered to be a good thing, as enemies who have a chance to land a critical strike will calculate the damage input as if the critical was guaranteed. While this could be benecial on many difficulties, lunatic players will find this especially useful, as enemies who deal 3x damage are almost certain to kill anybody in one hit, meaning they will always attack Sirius over anyone else (with exception to being in range of other OHKO targets with worse avoid and such). 

For example, if you had Marth in range of 2 enemies who kill him if they both strike at him and land their attacks, but Sirius was in range of one OR both of them, that enemy (or those enemies) will instead attack Sirius, applying damage more as "[12*3=36]+[12*3=36]" instead of "12+12=24", which would not be enough to actually kill him. 

In many situations you might find yourself in, he can more or less serve as a free bail out to any unit who happens to be surrounded by enemies who 2+RKO them, provided he does not die in 2 hits himself, something that isn't terribly difficult to accomplish with his solid stats and stellar growths. Worst case scenario, you can hand him an angelic robe, and he'll be good for a while. 

One particularly useful situation crit abusing the AI works is with ballistaes, especially in chapter 19. If units would be attacked while within ballistae range, you can bait the ballistae's attention (who will ALWAYS go first) with a unit who has slightly below their crit chance (I believe it's 10 or 11 but don't quote me on that), and then any paladins or such who would ruin your nosferatu plan will be too preoccupied with their gambling addiction to attack the unit they should obviously be attacking, provided your Sage Norne doesn't get naturally OHKO'd by it of course (although they might still target the low luck unit depending on avoid rates, or at least I assume avoid is the factor based off experience).

Of course, there's the obvious downside of "but what if they land the crit?". Well then, unlucky.

Probably don't try this strat in an ironman. It's more of something you use liberally when in a pickle, although I believe is abused a lot in ltc's or 0% runs. Besides. this is the game with save circles that serve as checkpoints given in the middle of the map, so it's not an immediate death sentence to resort to this tactic, and the odds are pretty low for a long time.

From what I recall, enemies retain 6 crit until the middle of the Anri's Way arc, in which you'll see it become 7, but be careful with dragons, as they'll usually have more, particularly ice dragons, although you can use a shard that increases luck by 2 to have 6 against the 7s if you hadn't gotten growths for it yet. By the time you reach chapter 15, aka the Archanea arc, enemies will now have 10 crit (9 in maniac I believe). By then, Sirius has hopefully gained a few luck growths, and preferably a goddess icon booster. Based off the average team, Sirius will likely need it the most but you should give them to Bord and Matthis. The goal is to try having him 1 or 2 luck points below what the enemy's critical rate it, which isn't too hard, but is of course, somewhat RNG based. 

Happy Johto?

Yeah, that's basically what I remember from this chapter. Desperately needing Marth for combat in the first handful of turns but him being busy recruitment Castor. If they were going to do a Genealogy reference, why not give me the pursuit ring or something from that really suspicious peninsula that is absolutely irrelevant? And what is Castor even doing in that village? He's from Talys, just work him into the plot by having him be working for Ogma. Then we get a long range chip option on the right side.

While that would probably be completely useless against the million overpowered brigands on maniac and lunatic, it would help against the thief and the occasional one or two that might still run up depending on unit ranges, and it especially helps the tedium of Marth running all over the place, so I approve of this. 

It's a good chapter, then it decided to be the worst game and ruins itself.

Also you never mentioned it, but what a Ghebtastic boss design.

I actually really like Gail for his design alone, but decided to not mention it because that last bit of the stage is mostly a nothing burger in the game anyways, and I was honestly too tired to include another paragraph of "here's 3 enemies you probably trivialize with Kris and Sirius" and then reference Gheb FE and get boo'd.

KAN8no1.png

Just look at him. Hell yeah. 

I wonder what he looks like in Myster-

V8eq607.png

Of course he does. Of course he does! Why wouldn't he look like that!? I'm so stupid! Damn you Kaga.....

7 hours ago, X-Naut said:

So I skipped over 3x because I'm rather indifferent about it, it's the one gaiden chapter that is okay-ish for me, and all I really have to say is it's probably the clearest sign of how much FE12 manipulates enemy stats with armors matching archers for speed. Your call whether you like it or not, I'm just telling it like it is.

I like the stats, which is obvious coming from me who just nerded out over the stat threshold said stats demand being much more smooth than "2 speed but 15 defense" and non slayers do nothing. You can still kill with regulars if you're strong enough, and archers basically are armors in Archanea anyways with their high DEF and low move. While 2 speed would really help hammer Bord, it'd screw over everyone else, and even Marth wouldn't do anything with his rapier with extreme forging, and then you'd more or less be forcing Linde aura gaming as mandatory to fight armors in the next few chapters. It's odd for sure, but I personally approve.

Besides, we know 3x gets praise only because it has the funny bald man and for not being any other x chapter this damned game has.

Continuing on my redaction in Chapter 3, this is another map where I don't like the changes from the original. Sirius would auto-recruit himself, and while it is complete overkill in FE3 it would be a lot more appreciated here because of how unfair that corner is. Thankfully the enemy density was also halved, but when each enemy has the strength of ten it's less of a comfort. You can always burn a Rescue charge or two to bring Marth and a better fighter up but that it doesn't feel good having to use such a rare and limited staff, although in Marth's case it does shorten the map. (Seconding everyone who thinks Marth should start in range of Shaver on turn 1.)

Yeah, they should've had him auto recruit, because that would save you a rescue use and still retain the rescue mission aspect and rush element FE12 provides, but instead they settled for a mandatory rescue staff tutorial, as if maniac/lunatic players need that. Maybe they consider that a high difficulty balance, similar to other games giving you less ammo/item uses per difficulty increase, by forcing you to have 1 less rescue, or 1 less Ogma.

Don't plenty of people use Barst? 

I'm relatively indifferent about this decision. I can't see it making me any happier or sadder. A part of me likes recruiting him with Bord/Cord in ch5 and having an extra axe against the dracos, but I could see him here with Ogma being cool narratively and of course, it gives you a bit more to work with in the case of enemies actually attacking them. Lord knows they need help with that 1 magic having ass lad.

Closing thoughts, I got two questions for you, Shaky:

1) What do you think about Drill Grounds and its unique leveling formula? Slightly relevant since you get it here.

Better to cover it here because I can see chapter 5 being long enough as a post:

Given that this game is essentially the start of modernization of FE while also being one of the most hardcore FE games in terms of simple but extremely demanding gameplay, drill grounds is unsurprisingly the middle ground of grinding in FE while being a limited resource itself. Most FE games after this simply have free grinding whenever, at least on lower difficulties, and games that aren't Sacred Stones and Gaiden will garner fans that think they're gods because they don't give their bad units 2 level ups to be somewhat bearable. 

With Drill Grounds, you can give units level ups they might need for level ups to fulfill certain benchmarks for an upcoming chapter, something that I find myself using many times throughout my many runs of this game. Because it's something you can partake in during the prep screen, you can hypothetically reset and rig these battles to always end with you receiving the desired growth. Personally, I wouldn't even call it cheating here because it's a service you're paying for, and if I'm forking over 800 gold to get +1 speed to double that fighter, then I deserve that damn speed. It's a 60% growth!

As X-Naut points out, it has a unique leveling formula, one which seemingly makes it more difficult to rig certain level ups to proc, almost favoring certain averages for given units. Now, I unfortunately don't know the exact formula, nor do I desire to search it up extensively, as it's clearly not something the game expects the player to think about, and it doesn't cause any certain rigs. It's still possible to get someone like Arran to get STR+SPD+DEF if you are incredibly patient, but it's more complicated than hoping he rolls a growth for all of his natural percentages. 

The specifics of Drill Grounds are odd to talk about, as it can be annoying to rely on it only to become addicted to "I just want strength and speed" and that take away from the natural experience of obtaining growths throughout the map, but that's mostly on the player anyways, and FE11 players could've easily been abusing the checkpoints to rig an upcoming growth of Bord to actually get speed, so it's not an issue only brought to existence by Drill Grounds. You can also abuse it by using dragons like Bantu or Tiki and the game will go easy on them due to using their base stats as a frame of reference for giving them opponents to fight, ignoring the massive stone bonuses, basically turning every battle into a cakewalk. Combine this with the mechanic where the more battles you do in a row, the more xp each fight rewards you with, you can reach multiple easy levels for your manaketes for a somewhat cheap price. This tactic is much harder to pull off on lunatic however, as that difficulty prevents you from obtaining HP in between rounds.

That said, I like using the Drill Grounds and consider it to be mostly inoffensive. As bloody hilarious as it is to say to elitists, I really do mean it when I say "if you don't like it, don't use it". It's not like Kris. It's pretty easy to ignore it and use your money on anything else, but for those that have money to spare, and consider the potential to catch up a unit for 500 gold over a forge that could provide slight benefit, but in a way avaiable to everyone of a certain weapon type, your options increase significantly, and I like that financial responsibility, as I need to make sure I have thousands saved for Arran's statboosters. Besides, you have no idea how often I need just that 1 extra speed to make my life 5 times easier....

14 hours ago, X-Naut said:

2) More intended for earlier, what would you say to this change: Pegasus Knight class gets +2 Speed base and it's taken out of the playable pegs' personal bases.

So you want enemy pegs to peg harder?

Who does this help? Reclassed Athena? Peg Linde? Female Kris? Because Kris really needs more buffs, surely.

This sounds more like an unnecessary nerf to the main peg trio, and while I do hate how OP they are, it feels cruel to drastically nerf them outside of their class, especially given that you probably will inevitably class them out of that class multiple times. I mean I've already listed multiple times where cav Palla and Catria help mitigate a lot of the early game troubles, and punishing them for not staying as a peg that gives them lance disadvantages sounds annoying. 

It's weird because as I said, I hate Palla and Catria because they feel game breaking and put the cool dude units to shame as far as first impressions go, but man do you need those in the early game. I can't pretend I didn't desperately need lady sword Catria in my first few runs of this game. Hmmm....well now I'm indifferent the more I think about it. They'd be garbage at other classes, but I suppose nobody's really making them archers, just snipers, which they'll probably cap speed anyways by then, but I could see that being a problem in mid-lategame lunatic, and their draco speed caps will really hurt them in the long run, which I suppose can make Palla a mini jeigan....

You know what, maybe I'll get back to you on that. I'm simultaneously disappointed by the punishment of reclassing, something I love doing, but also gladdened at the idea of making Palla and Catria slightly closer to bad to give Cord a chance to shine, but at the cost of most players getting filtered in ch3x because holy shit that lady sword cav user is damn near mandatory, and no one using cav Cecile on lunatic.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

t would be a bit excessive to have all three of the axe bros with Ogma here on this chapter, but they all should have been connected to him narratively. They're in this part of the world because they're helping Ogma out. Not because they decided to travel to the complete other side of the continent to help Marth with a conflict Marth didn't even know he would be fighting. So, yeah, putting one of them here instead of the complete randomness of their other join times makes perfect sense. But the other two should mention Ogma when they join too. Hell maybe one of them should join in Chapter 1. You don't get any natural axe users with the starting brigade and it's already in close proximity to Ogma.

I can't see a chapter 1 axe boy really working. It's supposed to be the iconic Altra squad of 1 combined with 7th platoon, so the Bord Cord duo that the uneducated normies likely never used will be very off putting, and giving them Barst on chapter 1 will simply cause exactly why no one gives said 2 axe men a chance in FE11. 

Besides, chapter 2 is full of trees, and Cord's a woodcutter. It's heaven for him.

Wrys Appreciation Post:

Spoiler

rofgDaj.jpeg

Wrys: 16 HP   3 MAG   6 SKL   7 SPD   3 LCK   3 DEF   7 RES   [E rank staves]

"Here's what's gonna happen. I'm gonna use my heal staff. I'm gonna heal your wounded. And you're going to be glad you took me with you. No half vulnerary heals."

Note:

• His stats will likely be a tad higher, as he retains his stats from the prologue, and he has almost certainly level up up at least once through healing. 
  • Wrys has the highest RES growth in the entire game at 50%, with only Malicia, Yumina, Etzel, and Katarina (plus 4 Kaga'd bishops if you include them) coming in close with 40%
    • Everyone loses 10% RES growth upon promoting. 
  • He has 2 more base RES than Malicia and Yumina
  • He cannot fight, but his staff can heal your wounded
  • He is bald
  • He is married to Luke
  • Wrys is not a vulnerary
  • Berserker Wrys is a well known concept among many old school FE fans, shown through a famous FE cipher artwork of him
    • The picture:
      • Spoiler

Dp9heyM.jpeg

• Berserker Wrys is canon
    • The proof:
      • Spoiler

gkvjuft.jpeg

Old Is Gold:

FE12 does many things right and many things wrong, and Wrys is the embodiment of a world where humanity was not held back by sin, which is where the bad design comes in, to remind us of what happens when we don't take Wrys with us. We'll be very upset we didn't.

There's nothing I can actually say here about him however. Just look at him. This is peak. He is the first healer in the series, and somehow, he still remains the best. It's over.

If you want an unironic discussion about his value as a unit, here's an obvious use for him. He is by far the best RES tank in the game. 

He is the ONLY res tank in the game. You might get lucky with Malica or Yumina, but Wrys is almost always reliably tank in the REs department, which combined with the fast XP growth of healers, lets him quickly reach RES stats reaching 20 by the first 10 chapters. Particularly, his high res can be a major boon in chapter 9, and he can generally prove useful against strong early lunatic bolgonone mages in chapter 7, 8, 10, and against any siege tome user. He is a unit I often consider most useful on lunatic due to how many units can die in a single hit to magic, or at best tank with only 5 HP remaining. With Wrys, he can still tank against 4 of them, something that no one else can really say. Units like Katarina and Etzel show up too late as prepromotes with not enough base res to provide much there, so Wrys certainly has his uses, something that's much harder to argue for in FE11, where people mostly just care about C rank base warp abuse, because who actually wants to play the game? 

There's one thing that me and Ruben have been saying for years at this point. FE12 is the only game in the series that respects Wrys. Think about it. In FE1, Kaga gives you Wrys, or Riff as some would say, only to throw Lena the warp lady at you 2 chapters later, followed by Wendell who is arguably the single best unit in the entire game, rendering Riff completely pointless as a healer. If you wanted to try training Riff anyways, good luck because you cannot gain healing xp. At all. You have to dodge your way to leveling up. You are clearly not meant to use this unit past the first few chapters.

If you believe that was just Kaga finding his footing, and Wrys being shafted was simply a mistake that won't be repeated, think again because in FE3 Book 1...

nv6GD2W.jpeg

He's a fucking vulnerary

Kaga, what the actual fuck? What did he do!? What, you just gave up? Don't even try to make him work! Just let the player lick their wounds with the help of a drug until the guys you actually put lore or desire to brainwash show up. And now we don't even get in him book 2 either! He was basically retconned! How dare you!?

FE11 decided to be faithful to FE1 and brig back Wrys, but instead of prevent him from gaining XP, her gets more of it. This is much better than FE1, but sadly people are boring and would rather use the warp woman. You probably won't use Wendell as a healer though. Everyone reclasses him. At the very least, Wrys as a mage isn't too shabby.

But FE12 is the only game where he is not only crucial to your survival in the prologue, ensuring the player WILL make good use out of him for a while, but he is the FIRST person you get from the gaidens and he get an entire chapter dedicated to saving just him. As I said multiple times, it recreates the iconic quote of his that warms the hearts of old school fans, something that I will always give an absurd amount of credit for. It just feels like genuine love for Archanea, even if it's mostly there for laughs. It's way more thought and care put in than anything Kaga did with him. And as a unit, Id' argue he's at his best here.

868FBSE.jpeg

This is on lunatic. He is a deity. A saint. A Rubenio, if you will.

0I1hRdl.jpeg

Who needs to painstakingly sponge 7 swarm uses while eating all the world's supply of vulns. Be the vuln man himself.

All in all, I love Wrys, and Wrys is done so well in FE12, and as such, FE12 is objectively the best in the series. I don't even have to continue this thread. Goodbye.

Rating: 12/10

Spoiler

Er94Sme.png

30 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I know a guy who jumped straight into lunatic. I have no idea why, they weren't even that experienced with FE.

To be fair to him, I usually jump into any new game I play on the hardest available difficulty with the arrogance of Mongolian Kahn. I'm an experienced gamer, I've been doing this shit almost thirty years. No new game is going to kick my ass! Unless it's a game from Treasure, then I know better.

Point is, Fire Emblem isn't an easy series. Permadeath is very punishing for very minor mistakes, and I expect many new players would struggle even with the reputable easier titles in the series. There probably is a correlation between the series' success and the introduction of casual mode. Experienced Fire Emblem players who knows how to avoid the pitfalls and which stats to focus on might find a lot of Fire Emblem games pretty easy, but that stuff is not intuitive to noobs. There are a lot of games where arrogance in one's general gaming skills will not be punished, but Fire Emblem is not one of them. You have to learn how to Fire Emblem well. That's why I try to urge newer players to play Genealogy early. Because that game is way more intense and fun when you're bad at Fire Emblem.

Posted (edited)

@Shaky Jones With regards to my questions...

Spoiler

1) Drill Grounds: The formula for Drill Grounds is based on a unit's growth rate total. For example, a unit with 335 total will gain three points guaranteed with a 35% chance of a fourth. Sort of like FE10 Bonus EXP but with more flexibility like you said and is not always a fixed number. Also worth noting that capped stats' growths are still included but those stats can be rolled for and amount to nothing... yeah, not a fan of these phantom procs/missed procs.

It's an interesting concept for random but regulated growth and I wouldn't mind seeing a Fire Emblem game that uses it as the standard rather than relegating it to a niche base arena. Of course, the cast could be better designed around it... units like Catria having close to or over 100 total growth more than fellow "growth units" doesn't leave a good taste, and you probably wouldn't want growth totals swinging 30-50 points across some reclasses. While I won't call it a perfect solution, I think following FE10's principle of picking a hundreds bracket and trying to fit every unit, or at least every "normal growth unit" to it is a good start. Jagens, Ests and other atypical units can be exceptions.

2) Peg Knights: Yes, that's the idea, make Peg Knight more accessible as a reclass option while curbing the power of the base pegs reclassing into other classes. It's somewhat of a reversal of the change from FE1 to 3, where Pegasus Knight's base speed was lowered from 11 to 7 but the characters' bases weren't changed. This led to playable pegs being pretty spoiled in base speed relative to other units... there were a few other beneficiaries of this like mages and armors, and archers actually lost 1 personal Str/Def because the class was buffed (tbf though, the class was too lowballed to begin with). Cavaliers also had Speed/Def nerfs that got reversed on the DSFE, so it even outs.

And IMO this really only affects Palla and Catria. Caeda's so fast she'll probably make up the difference and Est joins so late you're coddling her anyway. Catria will likely outgrow it too eventually (not much you can do without nerfing those growths) but it does hamper some of her early reclass thresholds. Palla is the most affected but is so good everywhere else, and 14 Speed as a Dracoknight is still serviceable through the earlygame.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. What enemy peg knights? 😛

Edited by X-Naut

On 5/12/2024 at 8:56 AM, Shaky Jones said:

In FE1, Kaga gives you Wrys, or Riff as some would say, only to throw Lena the warp lady at you 2 chapters later, followed by Wendell who is arguably the single best unit in the entire game, rendering Riff completely pointless as a healer. If you wanted to try training Riff anyways, good luck because you cannot gain healing xp. At all. You have to dodge your way to leveling up. You are clearly not meant to use this unit past the first few chapters.

Or you can be based and give him all the favoritism.

There I shilled like you asked

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure all DSI games are region locked.

Posted (edited)

Replies:

Spoiler
On 5/12/2024 at 12:32 AM, Jotari said:

To be fair to him, I usually jump into any new game I play on the hardest available difficulty with the arrogance of Mongolian Kahn. I'm an experienced gamer, I've been doing this shit almost thirty years. No new game is going to kick my ass! Unless it's a game from Treasure, then I know better.

If FE12 was just easy normal hard, sure. That said, you'd be a lunatic to think you can do lunatic blind. It tells you that it's the hardest difficulty the series can provide, and that's arguably not an exaggeration. And this is for a franchise known to be one of Nintendo's harder and less forgiving games. I'll play Star Wars III on hard mode blind, but if game has multiple hard modes, I know I ain't jumping straight to the top. Closest I had to that was Mass Effect 3 on Insanity, but that's the 3rd game in the series, so I can just be confident there. 

Just play maniac. It's hard, but manageable. 

On 5/12/2024 at 12:32 AM, Jotari said:

Point is, Fire Emblem isn't an easy series. Permadeath is very punishing for very minor mistakes, and I expect many new players would struggle even with the reputable easier titles in the series. There probably is a correlation between the series' success and the introduction of casual mode. Experienced Fire Emblem players who knows how to avoid the pitfalls and which stats to focus on might find a lot of Fire Emblem games pretty easy, but that stuff is not intuitive to noobs. There are a lot of games where arrogance in one's general gaming skills will not be punished, but Fire Emblem is not one of them. You have to learn how to Fire Emblem well. That's why I try to urge newer players to play Genealogy early. Because that game is way more intense and fun when you're bad at Fire Emblem.

I'd never tell anyone to do FE4 early. The only reason to play FE4 is to play FE5, and that's not a game you should start with.

On 5/12/2024 at 6:36 AM, X-Naut said:

1) Drill Grounds: The formula for Drill Grounds is based on a unit's growth rate total. For example, a unit with 335 total will gain three points guaranteed with a 35% chance of a fourth. Sort of like FE10 Bonus EXP but with more flexibility like you said and is not always a fixed number. Also worth noting that capped stats' growths are still included but those stats can be rolled for and amount to nothing... yeah, not a fan of these phantom procs/missed procs.

Even with this information, I'm probably not going to think about this ever.

It's an interesting concept for random but regulated growth and I wouldn't mind seeing a Fire Emblem game that uses it as the standard rather than relegating it to a niche base arena. Of course, the cast could be better designed around it... units like Catria having close to or over 100 total growth more than fellow "growth units" doesn't leave a good taste, and you probably wouldn't want growth totals swinging 30-50 points across some reclasses. While I won't call it a perfect solution, I think following FE10's principle of picking a hundreds bracket and trying to fit every unit, or at least every "normal growth unit" to it is a good start. Jagens, Ests and other atypical units can be exceptions.

I just wish you could choose a level growth at the cost of more money. 

2) Peg Knights: Yes, that's the idea, make Peg Knight more accessible as a reclass option while curbing the power of the base pegs reclassing into other classes. It's somewhat of a reversal of the change from FE1 to 3, where Pegasus Knight's base speed was lowered from 11 to 7 but the characters' bases weren't changed. This led to playable pegs being pretty spoiled in base speed relative to other units... there were a few other beneficiaries of this like mages and armors, and archers actually lost 1 personal Str/Def because the class was buffed (tbf though, the class was too lowballed to begin with). Cavaliers also had Speed/Def nerfs that got reversed on the DSFE, so it even outs.

And IMO this really only affects Palla and Catria. Caeda's so fast she'll probably make up the difference and Est joins so late you're coddling her anyway. Catria will likely outgrow it too eventually (not much you can do without nerfing those growths) but it does hamper some of her early reclass thresholds. Palla is the most affected but is so good everywhere else, and 14 Speed as a Dracoknight is still serviceable through the earlygame.

Yeah you know what? Fuck Palla and Catria. Sorry to the lunatic players that rely on cav Catria and Palla with ladyblade to make the earlygame work. X-Naut just made your life that much harder. Now you HAVE to use Cecile, and good luck with her surviving a single hit. Maybe now you casuals will give Cord a chance.

At least Catria will have 9 speed so she doesn't get doubled by dracos in ch3 and Palla can't be bad. Then again, she'll only have 12 as a cav, which will no longer be enough to 1rko the archer in ch3x unless you get a lucky speed proc (archer has 9, she'd have 12), and having at least one failsafe rush unit for that chapter is pretty vital, unless you trust that she'll level a speed growth in ch3 or let maybe only give the peg class one speed instead of 2, giving Catria 10 as a cav. 

Either way, Est really cannot afford to be nerfed out of her class, so you'd probably just let her keep the +2 (or 1) peg bonus with no repercussion for reclassing because she broke all her limbs in between Gaiden and here.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. What enemy peg knights? 😛

Now how will I harm women?

On 5/13/2024 at 3:18 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Or you can be based and give him all the favoritism.

There's the shilling. I'm sure Kaga would've wanted this. You can prove that by using him in FE3.

Chapter 5: This Is The Hardest Chapter in The Game

Spoiler

The difficulty spike of FE12 from maniac to lunatic is known to be significantly lower than that of hard to maniac, although lunatic is also considered its own level of merciless compared to most if not all other difficulties in the series including FE12's maniac mode. This is due to many lunatic exclusive changes made to this game, whether it's due to changes in individual chapters, or mechanics and rewards in the game as a whole (or hidden features such as all enemies gaining +10 hit to make dodge tanking basically impossible).

This is been brought up a few times throughout this thread, but I remind everyone now because this chapter is a completely different experience between these 2 difficulties. So much so that I have to split this review into 2 different parts. I will give the chapter 2 different perspectives and commentaries, as well as 2 different scores, as bringing them up as one feels like a disservice to the chapter based on how drastically different it plays out, and FE12 is not a game where everyone who discusses it naturally plays on the highest difficulty such as with FE6 or even FE11.

Chapter 5 on maniac mode is challenging, but simple and lax enough where the player can afford to train some weaker units while generally taking their time.

Chapter 5 on lunatic mode is like giving birth while on a speeding ambulance.

Maniac Mode:

Spoiler

aWn3ua2.png

Note:

• The sniper close to the boss is only present on maniac mode and upwards.
  • Jeorge and his snipers will not attack your army unless you initiate combat with them.
  • There is a secret shop in this chapter. The first one only sells master seals.
    • The location of Anna's crack house is between the armory and the shop.
  • Julian has just enough HP to survive the elfire mages by 1 HP. This allows him to safely recruit Rickard even on maniac mode.

New Units:

1. Barst (The Inferior Axe Trio Member): 26 HP   12 STR   10 SKL   11 SPD   6 LCK   7 DEF   0 RES   [D rank Axes]
    • Barst can be recruited either through Ogma, Bord, or Cord. 
      • With the 3rd member of the iconic axe trio, the player can now utilize the first triangle attack of the game. It can be particularly useful on lunatic mode, especially when it comes to landing shaky hit on promoted enemies or bosses with weapons such as unforged steel axes or hammers, as triangle attacks will always rig the attack to land alongside ensuring the critical hit.
  2. Caeda (Do You Guys Say "Sheedah", "Seeda" or "Ka-Ae-Da"?): 19 HP   6 STR   7 SKL   15 SPD   13 LCK   7 DEF   6 RES   [D rank Lances]
    • She joins during the prep screen, so the player is able to reclass her immedietely.
    • She retains her growths from the prolouge as well as her iconic wing spear from FE11
      • Although not as useful as the one in the Shadow Dragon remake due to the significantly lower number of armors and cavaliers, the next few chapters will feature several of them, so her wing spear will be extremely useful for her join time, and by the time said enemies stop appearing for a while, she's likely gained enough levels to ensure that her speed will let her consistently double, remaining a good unit with steel weapons and the lady sword to patch up her poor STR.

Reinforcements:

• Turn 8:
    • A single thief in the forests northwest of the castle, 2 tiles west and south from the sniper
      • They will head towards the village to destroy it. You generally have ample time to rescue it.

Stats:

• Knight:
    • Steel Lance: 20 - [21] Might
    • Javelin: 14 - [15] Might
  • Sniper: [24] - 25 Might
  • Cavalier:
    • Steel Lance: 21 - 22 Might
    • Silver Sword: 25 - 26 Might
    • Javelin: 15 - 16 Might
  • Mage: 18 - 19 Might
  • Thief: 17 - [18] Might
  • Dracoknight:
    • Silver Lance: 24 - 25 Might
    • Silver Axe: 24 - 25 Might

YqBB2VD.png

Average Speed: 10

• Snipers are fast with their 13 speed, but most of them are optional battles not meant to be fought.
  • Armor knights will usually have 7 speed, meaning Barst will be able to double them at base

Average Might: 21 and 25 [19 MAG]

• Multiples enemies in this map use silver weapons, meaning the difference in might is not too different between maniac and lunatic, although said increases will often be enough to OHKO Caeda, while she barely scrapes by silver attacks on maniac at base.
    • Linde will still survive the steel enemies at base, while the silver users will OHKO her.
    • If Caeda is hit by a 26 Might Silver Sword Cav, she will survive due to WTA reducing the enemy's might by at least 2, although if for whatever reason the player decided to unequip her, she will die. If reclassed to a cavalier, her increased defense will guarantee her survival.

Review:

There isn't too much to say about this chapter overall. It's generally a simple map in which you mostly rush to kill the thief who tries to leave with a master seal while cavaliers try to halt your advance. As long as you don't actively cause misery upon Jeorge and his npc coworkers he is socially distant from, they will not pose a threat. Keep in mind though that there is an obtainable physic held by the bishop guarded by the snipers, so as you play the stage, he will heal all units whose HP reaches under 50%, something you wish to avoid for the maximum amount of uses to have for yourself.

Other than that, the only other part of the map is fighting the few enemies protecting the boss and rushing your best unit against the ballistae men to then clear the map. There is an optional path you can take using the lower bridges, but as it's in range of multiple ballistae and armors, it's unviable to attempt, especially given that you have to rush upwards anyways to save the village holding a hammerne from the reinforcement thief, something that you have plenty of time to obtain provided you take the northern path.

The dracos are honestly mostly just there for xp assuming you have at least 1 bow unit or decent mage user, as they don't pose too much of a threat on their own given you can choose to aggro each of them separately (at least from what I remember). It's a serviceable map with not much going for it other than slightly faster enemies and some promoted units that help you get more xp for later on, similar to chapter 3 in a way, but with moderately less walking. Moderately, not significantly. There is unfortunately still some degree of Walk Emblem here. A lot of it is justifiable, at least in the first half, especially on lunatic, but most of the western zone past the top bridge tile is empty with little going for it. Other than having Marth wait on the throne and test your might killing as many snipers as you can before leaving the map, as well as ensuring you kill the bishop for his physic.

The main criticism from the map itself is how pointless the small island of 3 forts feels. You're going to go to north for the village. It's the damn Hammerne. What is there to be done south? There's no reinforcements down there. Perhaps I'd remove the path down there and add reinforcements that would then move and make it harder to reach the boss and his group of ballistae, as to incentivize reaching hom while it's still relatively empty (remove armors near boss and have armors appear on a certain turn like 12 or so who then try to run towards you. Do this every other turn for about 3 waves and then on turn 16 when the 3rd one shows up, Jeorge begins to move. Narratively, I'm not too sure how this would work. Perhaps he is worried that he looks too suspicious and will get his men executed for treason. Gameplay wise though, it would help cause this potential pincer attack that prevents the player from waiting on the armor reinforcements to get themselves killed fighting your Kris and mostly wasting your time standing near the boss on their slow way to reach you, while a fast player could kill the boss before they even appear. It also helps justify the somewhat lacking number of enemies on the west side, as you having to rush them makes it less viable to bait dracos one by one or bring every unit and fully heal them before provoking the sniper cavalier squad. This would make it nearly impossible to kill the bishop though, so I would move him where the southern save circle is, where the new threat is running directly to where the armors are spawning from. I'd move the 2nd save circle to a few tiles below the hammerne village. It's close to the other circle, but it wouldn't be the first time DSFE puts checkpoints close to one another and the first one is practically unusable on lunatic anyways.

As for the enemies themselves, they can be a nice change of pace from the repetitive stats of the last few chapters, and you have Sirius now to alleviate the difficulty of the game with his A rank lances dealing huge blows to cavaliers for easy finishers while tanking hits pretty well as a dracoknight, significantly reducing the might of the hard hitting silver sword cavaliers. Plenty of mounts will let Caeda stand out, which I consider to be worthy of some praise, and this chapter marks the beginning of enemy mages since the prologue, so the player will learn just how bad they have it in a game where having res means you are in the 1% and everyone else in the roster wants you dead.

Lunatic Mode:

Spoiler

qjVJLOH.png

Note:

• List of Lunatic Only Changes:
    • Jeorge and his snipers will immediately move upon being in any of their ranges.
      • An extra sniper has been added to his ranks, increasing the range of the firing squad and making it impossible to cross the mountain safely as any basic infantry unit.
    • Rickard is moved up by 1 tile, meaning Julian cannot reach him on turn 1.
      • If he leaves this chapter, he will appear again in chapter 6, so you could choose to ignore his recruitment process. However, he will still be an inconvenience by parking in a vital spot in the mountains that the player could've used in during turn 2 when the cavaliers approach.
    • An extra dracoknight has been added to small squad in the middle of the mountains in the west.
      • Furthermore, the AI of these dracos will cause ALL of them to become aggressive the moment you provoke one of them, mostly likely being the new 4th one
        • The 4th wyvern and the newly added sniper create a connected shared range in which you cannot progress upwards while avoiding their ranges. The moment you run far up enough to avoid the snipers, you will provoke the dracos.
    • One of the generic thieves has been moved to the center, closer to his escape point.
  • There is a secret shop in this chapter. The first one only sells master seals
    • As recruiting Rickard is made much harder, it is difficult to obtain the member's card needed for this shop, although it's unlikely the player will be in urgent need of master seals this early in the game.
    • The location of Anna's crack house is between the armory and the shop.

New units:

1. Barst (The Inferior Axe Trio Member): 26 HP   12 STR   10 SKL   11 SPD   6 LCK   7 DEF   0 RES   [D rank Axes]
    • Barst can be recruited either through Ogma, Bord, or Cord. 
      • With the 3rd member of the iconic axe trio, the player can now utilize the first triangle attack of the game. It can be particularly useful on lunatic mode, especially when it comes to landing shaky hit on promoted enemies or bosses with weapons such as unforged steel axes or hammers, as triangle attacks will always rig the attack to land alongside ensuring the critical hit.
  2. Caeda (Do You Guys Say "Sheedah", "Seeda" or "Ka-Ae-Da"?): 19 HP   6 STR   7 SKL   15 SPD   13 LCK   7 DEF   6 RES   [D rank Lances]
    • She joins during the prep screen, so the player is able to reclass her immedietely.
    • She retains her growths from the prolouge as well as her iconic wing spear from FE11
      • Although not as useful as the one in the Shadow Dragon remake due to the significantly lower number of armors and cavaliers, the next few chapters will feature several of them, so her wing spear will be extremely useful for her join time, and by the time said enemies stop appearing for a while, she's likely gained enough levels to ensure that her speed will let her consistently double, remaining a good unit with steel weapons and the lady sword to patch up her poor STR.

Reinforcements:

• Turn 8:
    • A single thief in the forests northwest of the castle, 2 tiles west and south from the sniper
      • They will head towards the village to destroy it. You generally have ample time to rescue it.

Stats:

• Knight:
    • Silver Lance: 26 - [27] Might
    • Javelin (Forged): 20 - [21] Might
  • Sniper: 25 - 26 Might
  • Cavalier:
    • Silver Lance: 27 - 28 Might
    • Silver Sword: 27 - 28 Might
    • Javelin: 21 - 22 Might
  • Mage: 23 - [24] Might
  • Thief: 23 - 24 Might
  • Dracoknight:
    • Silver Lance: [26] - 27 Might
    • Silver Axe: [25] - 26 Might

Xf2NTEz.png

Average Speed: 11 and 14

• Caeda at base can still double basic enemies, however she will likely die from a counterattack.
  • Sirius cannot double, but can do so if he is given a speed buff, either through speed potion, rainbow potion, or a speedwing purchased from the armory if you've already beaten lunatic once prior. Reclassed Sirius can double, but Sirius is much better as a mount for this chapter.
  • Barst barely avoids being doubled by dracos and snipers. 
  • Speed has become noticeably faster than previous ones for many unit types
    • Cavs have gone from 9 average to 11
    • Dracos have gone from 11 to 14
  • Units such as Bord and Matthis will need multiple speed growths to not be mutilated by enemies if hoping to contribute to the battlefield
    • Pirate Bord barely avoids being doubled by basic 11 speed enemies

Average Might: 27 [23 MAG]

• Might is not much different from previous chapters overall
  • Flier Caeda at base will be OHKO'd by all physical attacks except for silver sword cavaliers who roll the lower end of 27 Might due to WTA, as well as javelin armors.
    • If reclassed, her added DEF will make her survive most attacks, but she will lose 2 speed, meaning she will need to have gotten 2 speed growths throughout the prologue in order to double the non promoted enemies, assuming the cavaliers don't roll the higher speed stat from rng.

Review:

Everytime I play this chapter, I gain 7 grey hairs. For those who haven't played lunatic, you have no idea how difficult this chapter can be, and I hate that saying. It's TTYD season and I hear more than enough of that phrase because I am apparently foreign to the concept of nostalgia. In this context though, chapter 5 has consistently been the hardest part of the early game and often most of the game. In fact, when I played reverse lunatic, I counted every single reset I had to do for my deathless run. I ended up with 20. For some games, this would be an embarrassing number, but I was pleasantly surprised with my own total. For a game as unforgiving as New Mystery, I was expecting a lot more, but compared to to my first maniac run, it's nothing. I was used to this game by now. I knew what to do, and some of these come from the obligatory crit rigging for certain bosses I'll get into when we get there, not dying.

That said, half of those attempts were from this chapter alone. I don't remember exactly how many attempts this chapter gave me in my first regular lunatic run, but I'm pretty sure it was also around 10, maybe more. Chapter 2 and 3 are mostly the same past silvers. Chapter 4 requires you to be a lot faster, but the way you play is generally the same, at least if you naturally play fast. If you can beat this chapter in maniac, you can absolutely beat them in lunatic. This though? There are 3 major changes that completely change how the first few turns go, and by extent the bulk of the map's content. 

rpc2CKg.png

The first sentence perfectly exemplifies the amount of time I spent beating this map Kris-less. I'm glad I posted my progress here, because I unfortunately deleted my screenshots from this run despite keeping so many FE12 units and these being the ones I was most proud to show off pulling off.

DYtSpyZ.png

gMloRcr.png

x376KFO.png

It's imperative that you kill the cavaliers instantly if you wish to obtain the master seal, which is pretty useful given how long it takes to get them for a while. It's not worth paying at the secret shop over, but even if you want to, it's incredibly unlikely here because of RIckard, that piece of shit who decides to park on the one spot that could help you target cavs while covered by mountain tiles outside of sniper and draco range. Whether you're trying to recruit him or not, he is a pain. It's generally better to not bother, as you need every good unit you can deploy for this chapter, but if you really want to, it's doable. I did it myself, and I never want to attempt that ever again. 

EBBa66E.pngT

The worst part is when you try to block him like here so he can't escape, but then he'll just attack you and get himself killed! For no reason! Why does he do this? He does zero damage! And most units OHKO him. It doesn't help that everytime I've had to reset from this, he always targeted Sirius. I could put anyone else next to him, but he'll always attack Sirius, and pisses me off. There's so many things to micro manage, and you essentially have to waste a unit's turn unequipping JUST so he doesn't get himself killed, because even if you're not trying to recruit, you still want him alive, but he doesn't even let THAT be easy! And when i park there, it's not even for the intention of blocking him. It's just the only spot I can afford to be in that lets me chip cavs without aggro'ing the snipers and dying.

The main point this screenshot is meant to highlight though is that the cav above would kill cav Caeda, so I have to run another unit to block them, protecting her from death and both Sirius and I believe Ryan do survive 2 hits from the upper cavs.

I used to have multiple more screenshots from many runs of this chapter, but they generally showcase that you have to hug the walls just to BARELY scrape by, and with the cavs being as fast and bulky as they are, it's rather difficult to kill them fast when you have such a limited fighting space compared to maniac. Remember, this is the early game where you don't have physic and on turn 1, you have to deal with bolganone mages that will eat most of your health, something you don't have time to heal for turns 2 and 3.

This chapter will likely make you forge weapons to 1RKO. You need to REALLY consider your positioning, as you have very few tiles to work with, and where you are on turn 1 will heavily affect how far you can reach on turn 2, something that will make or break the run, as 2 cavs will always be out of range so the enemies you do reach need to be disposed in a w ay that don't leave you too exposed against their silvers. This is why draco Sirius is EXTREMELY useful, as his 13 DEF 28 HP gives him enough HP to survive 2 silver sword cavs due to the WTA and A rank bonus. In fact, if they roll the 27 Might roll and you give Sirius the Tauros shard, he can actually survive 3 hits even on lunatic. He is a really beefy unit with stellar weapon ranks in a chapter where you are desperate for good mounts. It's not as easy as silver lance Palla, as taking any counter damage means you're as good as dead when the cavs hit you on enemy phase, and it's really hard to form a wall when you can only hug the left side of the mountain wall. 

And then by turn 3, the thief already makes his getaway. Luckily, Sirius can reach him and OHKO him with a silver lance (and potentially a shard if rng roll), so if you rushed Sirius, that part isn't technically hard. However, the thief is placed in a spot where you will aggro the dracos. You can't try attacking him from east, as that would provoke Jeorge's men, so you're essentially forced to aggro the dracos on a specific turn, rather than at your own leisure. Even if you were ignoring the thief, you can't be too slow given the hammerne village being a thing, and in this version, the snipers cover 7 tiles vertically at the east zone, meaning you can't even send units who aren't mounted to the 2nd half of the stage. Sooner or later, the newly added 4th draco will now cause the rest of the dracos to fly east, giving your team another problem to deal with.

Now it admittedly isn't the hardest thing to deal with if you retreat properly, but it can be overwhelming to the unprepared or easily distressed. You need to make sure that none of your lower moving units were on the higher tiles of the east mountain corners, as they then won't be able to outrun the dracos, but if you try retreating everyone immediately after killing the remaining cavs, they'll simply go after whoever killed the thief or generally aggro'd the new draco, typically Kris or Sirius. It's about baitng them to head southeast to the bulk majority of your infantry units, who will wait for when they're close enough, then go all out while your mounted units make their way west to deal with the sniper cav squad, with cavalier Kris most likely being your unit you throw to the boss to beat up.

After that, there really isn't much to say. This becomes really boring for your infantry squad afterwards though, as they can't move north due to the snipers, and it's borderline impossible to take the southern path on lunatic without waiting 50 bloody turns for every ballistae use to run out, and yes, I did do that for my ironman. It was incredibly boring. And I lost SIrius. Not because of the overwhelming difficulty of the first 3 turns. No, I first try'd that after spending 90 minutes in the prep screen planning everything out.

GZpPFVc.png

I just forgot to give Sirius a vulnerary that he needs to survive the new draco that can kill him relatively fast without consistent healing, something I forgot to mention about the rush strat, as he likely won't be able to 1RKO the draco, but Sirius can't afford to fly down, as he'll clash with the oncoming triple flier squad and be overwhelmed. It's its own mini puzzle where you consider how many heals to use, what shards to give him beforehand, and when to use what weapon type because going for high damage too early will only lead to the bishop healing said draco.

At the very least, the small 4 unit squad at the bottom left of the map is made a little more interesting when you have less units to work with, and I often barely make it out of killing most of them by end of player phase, sometimes needing to kill the cavs in a way that trap the sniper who will OHKO my fliers. It's fun and engaging, unlike the remainder of the stage that is now Marth walking a lot because he now has to take the slow way all the way to the hammerne village and then allll the way back because he wasn't allowed to naturally progress through the normal route. 

Don't worry, you still can purposely provoke the Jeorge squad at the end and try to get as much xp as possible before leaving. It's tradition. However, I consider getting the physic on lunatic to be borderline impossible, given you can't really afford to get in close, and you're not going to be able to rout them to have time to. It is still possible, but don't count on obtaining this one on lunatic runs. 

It might sound like I hate this chapter on lunatic, but I actually think it's made to be much better overall. When I'm not losing my mind, I'm enjoying the new experience and extreme challenge that the map forces me to work around. They turned a map previously used in one way and gave it a completely new purpose, almost like a complete redesign, or as I should say, a remake. This does come with it's own problems though, and I would be lying if I said I didn't think this could be a bit much, mostly because of Rickard of all things. That 1 tile moved Rickard is such a dirty trick, but at least I can use that argument to prove that lunatic mode is more than just stat bloat emblem. It's a clearly well crafted difficulty given how this chapter exemplifies the meticulous crafts and edits they'll go through to throw off players that thought they know how to play the map. I often have to forge like with Ryan's iron lance in my no Kris run, or a thunder for Cecile in my ironman run, using pegs with javs and wing spear to try killing cavs while avoiding as much opportunities to be countered as possible. It's genuinely fun and exactly the kind of challenge I expect from lunatic mode being labeled as the hardest in the series. Sometimes though, I just wanna get the chapter over with, I'll admit that. I mainly like killing dracos and snipers with Bord and fighter Wrys. It's extremely annoying on reverse lunatic though where you try to use wing spear Caeda, but they go first and literally instantly kill you, so she's effectively worthless. I really hated that experience.

Too bad my recommendation to fix doesn't exactly work on lunatic, since if I blocked the way to the south path, how would Marth be able to run up. I honestly do respect the gimmick of locking zones so that you have to trigger the dracos to avoid the snipers, but it is silly that Marth just kinda HAS to wait until the mounts finish the stage before he's allowed to progress. Maybe there's certain tiles the draco and sniper could be moved where 7 move units are enough to get by the snipers in the mountain zone while not just skipping the draco trigger.

This will not be the only time this happens, but do not expect this to happen often. Many times, the changes are different enough to add a twist to experienced players who've accustomed to FE12's maps, but if you can beat these maps in maniac, you can assuredly beat them in lunatic with a few tweaks in your strategy or slightly better focus during gameplay. Saying that about chapter 5 would lead to a beatdown. Your beatdown. By me. 

Rating:

Spoiler

Maniac: 5.5/10

Spoiler

It's....okay. I don't dislike it. It can be fun at times. I like seeing Jeorge serve as an enemy of Altea forced to serve under Hardin while clearly trying to avoid us. The cavaliers and mages can be a somewhat fun tussle. But it's otherwise a pretty long and boring map with not much happening.

Lunatic: 7/10

Spoiler

It's so brutal, but I prefer cruel engagement over being completely bored. Other than getting enraged by Rickard ruining my plans, it's really fun and rewarding seeing my planning finally work out and ensuring I can take out the most amount of enemies taking the least amount of counter damage under a time limit while having restricted movement (not sand restrict). Sometimes it does feel reliant on having good levels on your units, and the southern bridge's pointlessness followed by the inability to even reach the boss from the south path without waiting for your mounts to clear the rest of the chapter can be pretty boring, but I mainly want to give the chapter a high amount of praise simply for being creative with how it added difficulty. There's something so respectable about the cruelty of the devs and what they're willing to do to end me. Not counting the obligatory silver additions (which I'd argue play an important role into the fear element of positioning your units for enemy phase cavs and choosing who fights the bolgamages), this feels like the kind of change you'd see from Conquest Hard to Lunatic. I respect it. I hate what this chapter has done to my mental health, but I respect it. That's the tl;dr.

Also I like Toras. C'mon, he's got like, the most memorable battle quote. Dude knows his math, Nobody knows math. Especially not FE fans.

Then again, this chapter has the hammerne staff, which is locked to Malicia for no good reason. What if I wanna use Wrys!? 

[Edit: The score was originally 7.4, but I forgot about the annoyance of turn 1 mages simply choosing to run towards you in a way that still leave them in sniper range. If that happens, you basically lost. That and I should probably dock a few sub-points for feeling forced to rig cavs to have thuer lower speed at you might be desperate to reach the speed threshold for this specific chapter and reacing 16 SPS is quite difficult.]

Edited by Shaky Jones

25 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

If FE12 was just easy normal hard, sure. That said, you'd be a lunatic to think you can do lunatic blind. It tells you that it's the hardest difficulty the series can provide, and that's arguably not an exaggeration. And this is for a franchise known to be one of Nintendo's harder and less forgiving games. I'll play Star Wars III on hard mode blind, but if game has multiple hard modes, I know I ain't jumping straight to the top. Closest I had to that was Mass Effect 3 on Insanity, but that's the 3rd game in the series, so I can just be confident there.

Oh, I know that, because I'm a Fire Emblem fan and I know the reputation New Mystery has. I'm more saying that 19/20 times if an experienced gamer goes for a higher difficulty on a game they have no experience with, such arrogance won't be punished. New Mystery of the Emblem specifically, and also Fire Emblem as a series more broadly, is the 1/20 exception.

31 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Other than that, the only other part of the map is fighting the few enemies protecting the boss and rushing your best unit against the ballistae men to then clear the map. There is an optional path you can take using the lower bridges, but as it's in range of multiple ballistae and armors, it's unviable to attempt, especially given that you have to rush upwards anyways to save the village holding a hammerne from the reinforcement thief, something that you have plenty of time to obtain provided you take the northern path.

Oh wow, you don't take the lower bridge? I just Kris tanked those ballistae and sent fliers up to deal with the thief. It was pretty straight forward in Maniac. Though it did result in a few boring turns of Marth walking at the end.

Speaking of the Hammerne village, the guy who gives it to you is the same guy as Shadow Dragon, Lena's Grandfather. Which makes the completely different surroundings very confusing to me.

41 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

If Rickard leaves this chapter, he will appear again in chapter 6,

Oh cool, I didn't know that. He has a minor Cath thing going on there. I like it, multiple opportunities to recruit a character that is. I'm playing Tear Ring Saga now and recruitment conditions are so precise and easy to fuck up, it feels like you need to consult a guide every time there's a conversation (and there are a lot of conversations).

Then again, this chapter has the hammerne staff, which is locked to Malicia for no good reason. What if I wanna use Wrys!? 

I will never forgive Maeda for this. I mean, technically Kaga did it, but Kaga also removed Wrys. Which was worse. Stupid fucking Kaga. I will never forgive Kaga for this.

Chapter 5 is hard, but I never found it outstandishly so. As usual, optimize the first turns for the mages, cavaliers and thieves. For the Dracos, you can already use a save point.

Too lazy to look up how the cool kids do it, but a decade a go, my MyUnitless approach was this:

I could have a very good Caeda, but I see no reason not to favor her during the prologue. Watching the first 2-3 minutes, it doesn't seem too stressful.

6 hours ago, Aircalipoor said:

Chapter 5 is hard, but I never found it outstandishly so. As usual, optimize the first turns for the mages, cavaliers and thieves. For the Dracos, you can already use a save point.

Too lazy to look up how the cool kids do it, but a decade a go, my MyUnitless approach was this:

I could have a very good Caeda, but I see no reason not to favor her during the prologue. Watching the first 2-3 minutes, it doesn't seem too stressful.

Ah, 144p, my old enemy.

So you took the lower route too. That's basically how I handled it on my Maniac playthrough. Only with more Kris dominance. I'm surprised Shakey recommended going all the way around. It probably is more secure, but just way less fun. Plus, you will have to deal with the double ballistae cover at some point anyway. They seemed to always go for the same unit in your video, but I think you can put a weaker unit in range of the non boss ballista to make them target separate units.