GD Hunting by Daybreak Maddening

I'm currently at HBD on the maddening GD route. Claude, Leonie and Hilda are all in flying classes, while Byleth is still an Enlightened One. When Lorenz and Ignatz spawn, I just let them die bc I'm not using them. 2 questions:

- How do i manage to safekeep Byleth? I can't kill enemies fast enough with the other 3 to prevent Byleth from getting swarmed.

- Lysithea, Marianne and Rafael just don't spawn? I've made it to turn 13 and these pricks still haven't appeared despite the others spawning at like turn 4

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, lvrossem said:

Lysithea, Marianne and Rafael just don't spawn? I've made it to turn 13 and these pricks still haven't appeared despite the others spawning at like turn 4

You need to reach a certain column on the map for the northeast bunch to spawn in. Once you've moved far enough east, they'll spawn the next turn.

How do i manage to safekeep Byleth? I can't kill enemies fast enough with the other 3 to prevent Byleth from getting swarmed.

Hm, maybe you could put Teach in a corner and have a couple other units surround them? That way, even with Pass, the enemy Thieves and Assassins couldn't get to Teach.

Reposting something from another thread talking about the same battle:

Avoid agrroing the snipers (that is, ending your turn inside their attack range) until you need to. If one wakes up, the crowd of other enemies around them will too. Instead, use any fliers you have (Claude obviously, any others are a nice bonus) to bait individual non-sniper enemies, thinning them out as much as you can. Note that once an enemy is woken up, they will move toward your squishies unit, generally, and if they move beside an enemy, THAT enemy wakes up to, so be careful about waking an enemy then retreating.

Claude's Ashes and Dust is a huge get-out-of-jail free card if a turn looks bad. You get two shots, use them wisely.

Remember that Claude (and any other fliers) can dismount if you want him to take a hit from a sniper... or just in general, because of the thicket evade bonus.

8 hours ago, lvrossem said:

Lysithea, Marianne and Rafael just don't spawn? I've made it to turn 13 and these pricks still haven't appeared despite the others spawning at like turn 4

Like was said earlier, you gotta cross a certain part of the map first. Then they show up.

If you can survive to Turn 13, I'm surprised you haven't already finished it, as it isn't a map that has reinforcements (I guess the boss is technically a reinforcement when he spawns). Step 1 is to secure the 90 degree flipped T formation of thickets immediately nearby the starting position (to the Northeast, assuming you have not rotated the camera from its default position). I don't think I've ever come into this map with a Byleth and Lord that could avoid doubles from Thieves, so I would strongly consider a shield. Especially if the Aegis Shield is sitting in your Convoy (that's mitigating up to 12 damage right there). Enlightened One Byleth may have good performance with a Levin Sword as well, since it will ignore terrain and have higher accuracy on forested opponents. A forged one can even counterattack Snipers. And don't be afraid to lift an elixir/concoction from Byleth's convoy - this map is precisely a situation where that is a viable option compared to just killing another of your attackers.

Seeing as you've got a crew of fliers, you should have little difficulty taking out the Snipers after they've fired at your thicket base - use Ashes and Dust on the same turn to lock down the Thieves so that they don't rush to kill whoever got them.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I didn't manage to secure anything other than the starting 2x3 lmao. No one can survive 2 rounds of combat against silver swords/bows, but I'll try more stuff 🙂

It finally worked out by one-shotting pallardo with Falling Star, warping Marianne, dancing, and doing it again. Keeping Byleth alive that long was definitely the biggest problem, as she couldn't stay in the initial 2x3, so I had to let her run along with the 3 fliers at the bottom, hanging on for dear life using nosferatu on enemy phase. It really felt like the scene in POTC where Jack desperately outruns a small army :)). If anyone else but Marianne had been my dancer, this would have been a whole other story xd

It finally worked out by one-shotting pallardo with Falling Star, warping Marianne, dancing, and doing it again. Keeping Byleth alive that long was definitely the biggest problem, as she couldn't stay in the initial 2x3, so I had to let her run along with the 3 fliers at the bottom, hanging on for dear life using nosferatu on enemy phase. It really felt like the scene in POTC where Jack desperately outruns a small army :)). If anyone else but Marianne had been my dancer, this would have been a whole other story xd

Congrats on making it! That's some clever strategy. Yeah, chapter 13 tends to be a high water mark for difficulty.