Higurashi

Defeatist Elitist

Real men spend their nights huddled in the fetal position under their bed, clutching a baseball bat to their chest.

They also WILL NEVER SPEAK TO A GIRL AGAIN! AND DEFINITELY NEVER ACCEPT HER COOKING WITHOUT A METAL DETECTOR! Hell, even with one!

Anyone else seen Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? I'm on Episode 10, which is in the middle of Satoko's arc...

But this show is pretty damn good at this horror spiel. :D

First season if wtf. Second season is fucking awesome. This is the best anime I've seen in years. Incredibly spoiler-heavy, though, so it's sensitive topic in that sense.

Anyone else seen Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? I'm on Episode 10, which is in the middle of Satoko's arc...

But this show is pretty damn good at this horror spiel. :D

You're in for a treat then. Mion's (or was it Shion's) Answer Arc is the fucking pinnacle of the series and you'll be coming up on it soon. Enjoy!

I was considering watching this after I finish Clannad. What's it really about?

Higurashi is about a remote village named Hinamizawa, around the month of June near the time of the local cotton drifting festival. It starts out at a pleasant slice of life anime, of school-time days with the children, but quickly descends into mystery, intrigue, paranoia and murder.

The main character dies when he claws his own throat open in episode four.

Episode five sees everything reboot, and the story plays through with subtle differences.

The main character is killed with a baseball bat by one of his friends.

Episode 9 sees things reboot. Etc. Anything else is far too spoiler intensive to post here.

Note: I may have been a bit foggy on the details, and swapped the order of BAD ENDs, or misremembered the exact episode positions. I don't care at this point to correct things for accuracy, as it will get the general gist of the series across just fine.

Edited by Balcerzak

I was considering watching this after I finish Clannad. What's it really about?

I'll warn you, what will follow will describe at least some of what the genre is, which you would not guess from looking at it. I don't plan on revealing any major plot points, but if you want to totally surprised by the show then you need to watch it without reading below. And, for the sake of not making some think that I am really spoiling it, I'm not going to mark the small summary. So be warned, if you're the kind that likes jumping into an anime totally unaware of anything about it, you should stop here:

The program centers around a young boy named Keiichi Maebara. Keiichi's a normal boy that just moved to the small town of Hinamizawa in the sunny summer of 1983. He adjusts quickly, and in a short time comes to know four young girls as good friends. All in all, life in Hinamizawa is simple and easy, and without hardship. Nothing more than a run-of-the-mill hamlet in the old countryside; or so it seems. Something's...not quite right about Hinamizawa. Perhaps it's something in the water that bothers Keiichi, or maybe it's just his imagination, but as the days near ever closer to the annual Watanagashi Festival, he gets the feeling that there's a sense of unease in the air. Perhaps Hinamizawa isn't just a normal village; perhaps there is something wrong. Keiichi is determined to find out exactly what's going on, even if it kills him. And unbeknownst to him, it just might.

You're in for a treat then. Mion's (or was it Shion's) Answer Arc is the fucking pinnacle of the series and you'll be coming up on it soon. Enjoy!

Shion's. Mion's involved, but...yeah.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I was thinking of watching it, but I'm confuse by all the episode mix ups. :[

They're divided into "arcs", in what seem to be different outcomes of similar situations. Like I said before, the first season leaves you with a real "wtf" feeling, since there are alot of unanswered questions (hence some are known as the "question arcs") while the second season will address each and every one of these, and everything just pulls together really well.

I have to warn you guys, though... there's alot of violence. Maybe not so much as Elfen Lied, but you feel really bad for it, since Elfen Lied is meaningless slaughter while this has some more... "background" to it. It's much more psychological violence than Elfen Lied.

I've seen series one and two, after hearing of it from Wist in the Anime & Manga topic, ages ago. It's a great piece of anime, easily one of my favourites. The arcs can be confusing af first, but you will soon get used to it. Although some of the ways in which the main characters die can be a little "wtf". But it's all good. Series two is the best, though - as is it's OP theme.

Can't wait for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (series three).

I watched the first 17 episodes months ago, but never really got around to finishing it. I guess I should.

The thing that convinced me to watch it was Casey and Friends.

I've only watched most of Season One, but I know quite a bit about all the plot twists in Season Two because I did quite a bit of research on the games it's based on. (Also know as: I like spoiling things for myself. :3)

Has anybody read the poems done by Frederica Bernkastel before each story arc in the games? I don't believe they had it in the anime, but I wouldn't really know because I haven't seen it all. XD

Anyway, here's a link for people who are interested: Poems by Frederica Bernkastel

I've only watched most of Season One, but I know quite a bit about all the plot twists in Season Two because I did quite a bit of research on the games it's based on. (Also know as: I like spoiling things for myself. :3)

Has anybody read the poems done by Frederica Bernkastel before each story arc in the games? I don't believe they had it in the anime, but I wouldn't really know because I haven't seen it all. XD

Anyway, here's a link for people who are interested: Poems by Frederica Bernkastel

Wow... I especially love the maze one... I need to bookmark these. Thanks, Songbird.

Excellent. Although, I'm not overly fussed on the english voices. I don't believe they are decent.

English voices have to be pretty bad to make me watch it in japanese with subs. I mean REALLY bad

English voices have to be pretty bad to make me watch it in japanese with subs. I mean REALLY bad

Ahh... I personally prefer subbed to dubbed. I mean, I'll watch dubs, I am for Ah! My Goddess, but I'll watch subs whenever I can. Although, I will refuse to watch Love Hina dubs, no matter what...

• 3 weeks later...