Introducing Myself

Hi there,

I wanted to write and introduce myself as a new-ish fan of Fire Emblem and SPRGs ing eneral.

I'm totally blind, and have always been interested in games that I can play with the help of accessibility tools. I recently discovered that with sufficient patience Fire Emblem is one such series. 

The core gameplay of FE is turn-based, and a lot of the later games at least display info in a format that OCR software can pick up. It's tedious to handle large maps tile by tile, but I've found that sometimes if I have an overview of the layout beforehand I can do decently well.

I just wanted to drop in here as it seems to be quite a vibrant community, and I'm fascinated by the genre in general. 

Looking forward to much entertainment.

It's really great to hear that Fire Emblem is a series that you can enjoy without the ability to see. If you have the time, I'd be totally game to hear what sort of process you go through to complete any given chapter. And hey - now any playthrough you do is technically a blind playthrough!

...Sorry, bad joke. In any case, welcome to the Forest!

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. 🙂

I have yet to complete any of the games but have had some success in Path of Radiance, and to a lessor extentSacred Stones. I keep trying new games in hopes of finding something that really clicks with me, most recently Vestaria Saga which may as well be FE for PC.

I don't really have a process, it's a matter of taking each turn slowly and trying to explore with the free cursor as much as I can. If I had a way to view the map more hollistically, or answer questions like "Where's the closest enemy?" things would be a lot more pleasant.

I'm a bit of a masochist but always on the lookout for tips, tricks or mods to make the games easier to enjoy. Most recently I've discovered that some of the newer AI models are able to provide me more readable versions of, say, stats pages than the raw OCR output. If only I could be 100% sure that they were accurate :)

18 minutes ago, Alensin said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcome. 🙂

I have yet to complete any of the games but have had some success in Path of Radiance, and to a lessor extentSacred Stones. I keep trying new games in hopes of finding something that really clicks with me, most recently Vestaria Saga which may as well be FE for PC.

I don't really have a process, it's a matter of taking each turn slowly and trying to explore with the free cursor as much as I can. If I had a way to view the map more hollistically, or answer questions like "Where's the closest enemy?" things would be a lot more pleasant.

I'm a bit of a masochist but always on the lookout for tips, tricks or mods to make the games easier to enjoy. Most recently I've discovered that some of the newer AI models are able to provide me more readable versions of, say, stats pages than the raw OCR output. If only I could be 100% sure that they were accurate 🙂

It's good that you're a masochist, because that's a useful trait for a Fire Emblem player. Even though this is turn based you might find it being a lot harder than you anticipate. There is just a lot of data to sift through every turn. Experienced Fire Emblem players might few the series as easy, but it's really not. It's very punishing for even minor mistakes and it's very easy to make mistakes. Path of Radiance is probably a good start with that in mind. And, unlike most people, I'd actually recommend the first game in the series to you. Unlike most series that started on the NES, the first game has the reputation for being the easiest in the series, but it should still help you get the flow of the gameplay. Most people are turned off by the pretty poor UI, but that's... probably less of an issue for you. On the other hand I'm not sure how much external support would exist for an old NES game like that.

I have actually been curious to try the original just out of interest, it would be neat to see how things evolved.

But yeah, a lot of my problem is less with the data and more access to it. I am kind  of limited to a small view of the map and sort of  have to guess what happened between turns sometimes. But there's nothing in the game design, per se, which is difficult, it's all in getting the info into a format I can process.

Sorry I tend to pontificate a little. Accessibility is literally my day job, but game accessibility is my passion. It's a good combination for this sort of thing I guess.