Square Enix shifts priorities to multi-platform

I can't say I've ever really cared for console exclusive games (except for Nintendo since that's their whole strategy to begin with). The more places something is available, the better. 

I've been avoiding the recent Final Fantasy titles in the hopes that they'll eventually be ported to PC so I can play them myself (and not shill out a bunch of money for a console that I would end up playing a single game on), so it's nice that I may not have to worry about that with the final FF7R game if this news stays true.

Posted (edited)

Makes sense. Their biggest budget titles have had timed exclusivity with Sony, and that cuts hard into sales. Sony itself is gradually shifting its titles onto PC so expecting Square to stay with them looks a tad hypocritical.

If Final Fantasy XVI had come out on Steam, I might have bought it since I liked the look of its combat. I'm kind of on a half-intentional Squeenix boycott for the last six years due to their business practices. It's more like ten years with the exception of Kingdom Hearts 3. Yes I know exactly how pathetic that sounds. By now though Square has no doubt sunk many millions into quiet NFT related disasters and have already sold a ton of legacy IP like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex. And the more recent news about $140 Million worth of unannounced projects having to be cancelled to cut costs. I could imagine the company's under new leadership after this awful track record.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I don't have a PS5, so this should make it easier for me to get Square Enix games. However, there aren't really any that interest me. I liked the gameplay and presentation of FF7 Remake, but, as a complete newcomer to Final Fantasy, it lost me when it turned out to not actually be a remake, but a weird alternate-timeline sequel metanarrative that may as well have held up a big neon sign saying, "Come back after you've played FF7!" So, even if I did have a PS5, I wouldn't have bought FF7Rebirth.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:21 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Great news for PlayStation and XBox gamers, who will eventually secure access to such vaunted releases as Hexagon Strategem and Bravely Third V: For the Trilogy.

Genuinely don't know and have to ask, but is that sarcasm?

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Genuinely don't know and have to ask, but is that sarcasm?

It's a joke about how "Square Enix goes multi-platform" would be beneficial to Sony and Microsoft gamers, because the hypothetical sequels of existing Switch (and PC)-only games would come to their consoles. The joke is that this would be a far bigger deal than, say, the FE7 remake trilogy existing outside of Sony's infrastructure.