Summer Games Mess 2024

With the Playstation State of Play today and SGF next week, it's time to talk about all the gaming news and predictions.

What excited you from the State of Play, if anything? What do you expect to see next week?

I for one am hyped for the high-effort Dynasty Warriors reboot. 

There's an extremely vocal minority of people shouting their heads off at the new Astrobot game and I'm happy for them. The most Nintendo-like thing Sony has ever published. I'm excited for God of War Ragnarok on PC. I could have played that game years ago on my PS4, but the news had just come out back then about Sony's porting big games like that off their systems, and I was willing to wait for an uncompromised version. 

Here's the schedule for Summer Games Fest. Not really sure what to expect other than a lot of plucky indie games getting added to my Steam Wishlist 

Nothing, State of play was a joke with nothing looking good. 2 more hero shooters? Why, nobody wants that. While I was hyped for Silent Hill konami once again ruins everything they touch.

16 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Nothing, State of play was a joke with nothing looking good. 2 more hero shooters? Why, nobody wants that. While I was hyped for Silent Hill konami once again ruins everything they touch.

Maybe there is something good. The way I feel about Where Winds Meet is that if it has difficulty settings, it stands to be the AAA Wuxia game I've always wanted. (But if it's just more Soulslike/masocore guff, no thanks).

13 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I for one am hyped for the high-effort Dynasty Warriors reboot. 

From the brief glimpses it seems to be akin to the Samurai Warriors Chronicles games on the 3ds. Considering that was the height of the series I'm rather pleased with that. 

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

From the brief glimpses it seems to be akin to the Samurai Warriors Chronicles games on the 3ds. Considering that was the height of the series I'm rather pleased with that. 

Sounds like its only gonna have 1 playable character which... is awful for a Musou game.

25 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Sounds like its only gonna have 1 playable character which... is awful for a Musou game.

Is that confirmed? Because an Oc being selectable alongside the other characters seems the more likely scenario.

For the actual SGF this year, I’m hoping for two things:

1. A new KH4 trailer

2. Nintendo does their June Direct the literal Wednesday (6/5/24) before SGF starts (6/7/24) (half-joking with this bullet point)

18 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Is that confirmed? Because an Oc being selectable alongside the other characters seems the more likely scenario.

AFAIK, it isn't totally confirmed.

I think the likely scenario is Story Mode - Create-A-Character OC, Free Mode - other characters.

44 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I think the likely scenario is Story Mode - Create-A-Character OC, Free Mode - other characters.

I could be drawing the wrong conclusions due to the whole OC idea being so similar to Samurai Warriors Chronicles, but if they really do follow that game's template then a character switching mechanic would seem likely. Your oc being accompanied by several other character who you can switch between.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Base on what was translated from the Koei site it’s a spinoff focusing solely on the oc.

Edit: it’s up on psn and is offline only and single player.

Edited by ciphertul

I watched the Sony State of Play. I find it quite hilarious that, in a presentation that's supposed to be all about PlayStation, the second announcement in the presentation is a PC port.

Honestly, nothing in the State of Play really caught my eye except Monster Hunter Wilds. The idea of sandstorms happening during hunts is cool; in a "message from the developers" that released around the same time as the trailer, the developers said that they wanted to emphasize "a more unforgiving side of the ecosystem" with this game, and what they've shown with the sandstorms does convey that idea. I just hope that there's a variety of environments and not just desert.

Posted (edited)

Thinking back on that Concord reveal, that's gotta really hurt. You can really see they're trying to make Overwatch lightning strike a second time by getting you invested with its characters before its gameplay. But with these live service genre games, you're always taking a risk. Gamers engage with one, maybe two of these at a time because of the battle pass structure demanding so many regular play hours, and you and your friend group all have to decide together whether you'll like something. And yet dozens of these come out a year. To be the one that they pick, you gotta be the best. 7 out of 10 or 8 out of 10 won't cut it for the live service model. Unless you're a sequel to the last 10 out of 10, I suppose.

Meanwhile, if you're doing a contemporary, non live service game, say, a souls-like, you generally benefit from bigger fish doing the same thing. As long as you don't launch the same week, you'll get people buying in just because they want more Elden Ring. Sony put together a whole studio for THIS game, and it gets announced so close to Marvel's version of it. Marvel doesn't even have to do the heavy lifting of Overwatch's Step 1 of getting you to like its characters, since we all know what Marvel is.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Very happy with what I saw for Monster Hunter Wilds. Can't wait to play it.

There'll probably be some Elden Ring content showcase before the dlc releases.

Also enjoying Sparking Zero. I can already see this being 80 dollars and taking half of my wage away.

Alright, predictions time. I'm going to shotgun out 10 predictions. And since we just got one, none will be musous.

1. Devil May Cry VI - possibly as the mic drop final trailer.

2. Titan Quest 2 release date trailer.

3. New Tales of game, releasing next year.

4. Lord of the Rings PS2 hack and slash trilogy remaster/HD collection.

5. Megaman Star Force Legacy Collection

6. Star Wars Diablo-like (think Marvel Ultimate Alliance)

7. Dragon Age Dreadwolf release date trailer

8. Soul Calibur VII

9. Borderlands 4, but it's probably a long way off.

10. Marvel vs. Capcom returns

Posted (edited)

Honestly, there was nothing for me (that I didn't already know about).

And I hate that Dark Souls has poisoned the modern action game climate so much. Now every single cool looking third person action game I see with big bosses (you know, the most generic thing), I have to ask myself if I'll even be able to play this, or if it'll just be more exclusionary trash.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Posted (edited)

I wasn't able to tune in today but yesterday Keighley opens up the show talking about the resilience of the industry in the wake of all these layoffs. And you know it's like whatever Keighley. No one asked for your hollow takes. But then later we find out it's teeing up these two devs that get on stage to say "hey we made a lot of money making Among Us, we want to give back and fund other peoples' games. and it's got me thinking maybe there's hope for us.

So far, Most charming Indie game: Building Relationships

As for most charming Indy game? I guess we'll see tomorrow with Harrison Ford looking for that Great Circle.

Oh and of course happy birthday to everyone's favorite mascot

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

the dredge dlc is coming out the day before my birthday i am the happiest guy in the fuckin world right now

Perfect Dark is not vaporware, it's an immersive sim

Although I guess it's too early to tell how much choice will matter in its mission structure based on a heavily edited trailer. But we're in a good place if adding a Guns Blazing alternative to missions is all we need to meet the definition. Non lethal takedowns, environmental interaction, this is good stuff. This plus Stalker really smooths over the void left by Deus Ex getting cancelled and the Dishonored studio getting shut down. 

There's a lot to digest from the xbox show. Gears of War E-Day is hitting that same "Wanted this so bad ten years ago". They even have 'Madworld' in the trailer. If you know you know.

In terms of new announcement, I consider Expedition 33 to be the game of the show, and it's even coming to Gamepass. 

Existing games wise, Dragon Age looks damn good, Metaphor looks better every time I see it, and I'm sure I'll have some fun with The First Descendant as a junkfood game.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Is Tevinter the setting this time around? That was always my big hope. 

Pretty sure that's been confirmed for a long while now.

The game starts at some point following the events of Dragon Age: Inquisition, particularly those of Trespasser. The location has been confirmed to be Tevinter Imperium.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

In terms of new announcement, I consider Expedition 33 to be the game of the show, and it's even coming to Gamepass. 

This was a surprise reveal because when the action started, I wasn't expecting turn based combat with action commands. That's the sort of one two punch that knocks me off my chair. What's a good french expression that means "I'm in"

Between this and Alzara: Radiant Echoes, it's been a good week for French RPGs (FRPGs?)