Nintendo Direct 06-18-24 - Predictions, Hopes, and Followup

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Suddenly getting a mental image of "Puyo Pop but with Zelda". Chuchu Pop?

I honestly had to look up Puyo Pop because I had never heard of it before. Thank you for the information. The only games I could think of with a spellcaster as a protagonist were Ys Origin (and even then only if the player chooses to play as Hugo Fact, as the other two protagonists are fighters), and Forespoken; a game that is probably best forgotten. Oh, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn has Micaiah as one of the protagonists, but she gets overshadowed in her own game.

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

That's a pretty sound analysis. Link can do many things, but there are a few things he always does. For a game like this to work, those things have to be taken away, thus it wouldn't feel like Link. So, a game like this only works if Link isn't the main protagonist. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to hear that's what lead them to make Zelda the protagonist this time around.

I agree. This game really would only work if the player doesn't have things like the sword and shield, as the player must be encouraged to see the fight as a puzzle to solve through the echo mechanic rather than just being able to charge in. How many players will create bait for crows and then create an echo of a Deku Baba if they can just use a sword?

For a good example of "not feeling like Link" in a mainline Zelda game, look at the beginning of Majora's Mask: one of the ways it established its eerie atmosphere early on is by having the player play as normal Hylian Link for about ten seconds before then forcing him into the form of a Deku Scrub which plays differently. Deku Link still had a melee attack and a shield, making it recognizably Link, but it was still off just enough to contribute to the game's eeriness.

Regarding the Dragon Quest 3 remake, I think I mentioned earlier that I've been trying to find the original NES version of the game and all I've found are old remasters. Something I just thought of was this: NES games are tiny in terms of storage since they had to be, so I think it would be cool if these three HD-2D remakes included the original versions as well so the player could directly compare them and see the differences for themselves. I know it's really unlikely, but I think it would be neat, and how much extra work would it take to do that?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Regarding the Dragon Quest 3 remake, I think I mentioned earlier that I've been trying to find the original NES version of the game and all I've found are old remasters. Something I just thought of was this: NES games are tiny in terms of storage since they had to be, so I think it would be cool if these three HD-2D remakes included the original versions as well so the player could directly compare them and see the differences for themselves. I know it's really unlikely, but I think it would be neat, and how much extra work would it take to do that?

Metroid: Zero Mission did exactly that back on the gameboy, because, really, why not? It's not going to be a huge burden on the rom and it won't cut into the profits of a defunct game. Though, some exec somewhere would probably argue that it would, because of the virtual console service which any given NES game may or may not be on, but realistically no one is buying those services for a singular NES game that they wouldn't otherwise sign up to if it were available on another release.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Metroid: Zero Mission did exactly that back on the Gameboy, because, really, why not? It's not going to be a huge burden on the rom and it won't cut into the profits of a defunct game. Though, some exec somewhere would probably argue that it would, because of the virtual console service which any given NES game may or may not be on, but realistically no one is buying those services for a singular NES game that they wouldn't otherwise sign up to if it were available on another release.

Such an exec would have even less or an argument than usual in this case, as I've tried to find ports of the original NES version of Dragon Quest 3 and I cannot find it available anywhere. They aren't on Switch Online, and every console digital store I've checked only has the later 16-bit remasters. It would be impossible for this to interfere with sales of ports of the original version of Dragon Quest 3 as there doesn't seem to be any such ports.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Is any of that not equally true for Gaiden, the game they actually did make?

Yes, if not moreso! The original Gaiden sold less than the original Genealogy, at only about a third of a million. And we didn't have Engage, nor a full-swing Heroes, to promote its characters. I would absolutely balk at the notion that "millions of people are asking Nintendo for a Gaiden remake"! I'd say a couple hundred thousand, at the most.

For my part, I wasn't in the "actively asking Nintendo to remake Gaiden" camp. But I bought it, and now it's one of my favorite FE titles. So while it sold around a million copies, I'd wager that the crowd specifically asking for a remake was a fraction of that.

Genealogy of the Holy War has also been available digitally to Japanese fans in some form since the Wii era, being available on Wii, Wii I and (apparently) 3DS.

Huh, I didn't know about it showing up on the Wii. That helps its case somewhat. As would the Wii U, if anyone had actually bought that console LOL.

Regarding 3DS, I assume it was a "New 3DS exclusive" in Japan? I'd love to see the game running on that system.

So I don't see it unreasonable to say it has millions of fans.

Have multiple millions of people played Genealogy? At this point - probably, yes. Does that mean multiple millions of people are actively asking for a remake of the game? See, that's a totally different question. Plenty of folks who have played the original game don't care about a remake - because they didn't enjoy it, or it works fine for them as-is, or they just grew out of gaming. Conversely, there will be some people who haven't played the original, but actively want a remake - those who've enjoyed "Let's Plays" on YouTube, or are curious about the characters from their other canonical appearances.

Which group outweighs the other? Hard to say, really... although I lean toward the former. I could believe that, maybe, there are a solid million fans out there, who are gung-ho for a remake (and I'm one of them). But that feels like a high estimate, and crossing into the million(s) seems stretchier still.

We mistook the Echoes subtitle to suggest they were going to do more remakes when the entire time it's just been a play on words with Gaiden

Speak for yourself. I was the one saying that "hey every remake has 'Shadow' somewhere in the name, so that's the trend". If it weren't, why would they subtitle the Gaiden remake "Shadows of Valentia"? Coulda been "Tales of Valentia" or "Twilight of the Gods" or "Crossing of the Brands". There's not really anything "shadows" about the game.

My bet is, the FE4 remake - if/when it come out - will have "Shadows of the Holy War" somewhere in its title.

We probably will see a Genealogy remake some day, but it's clear one has not been planned.

No! My hopium! I need that to- HRK-

even a good chance that, much like New Mystery skipped over Gaiden, we could see Jugdral skipped over in favour of the GBA games.

I do think the context is a bit different. FE3 was a direct sequel to FE1, whereas Gaiden was more of a "side story". Hence the name. If they were only going to remake two classic FE games on the DS, then 1+3 makes more sense than 1+2. (Of course, they could've done 3+2, where the remake of FE3 included both Books 1 and 2, but then we wouldn't have Pyrathi on the DS, so...).

Could they "skip ahead" to the GBA titles? For sure. But there's not as compelling a reason to do so. It's not like they're a natural follow-up to Three Houses and Engage, any moreso than Genealogy would be. It would basically boil down to "Roy's our boy" which... damn, I can't even deny. It's crazy how popular he is for a character that basically doesn't exist outside of Japan. Getting FE6, officially in English, would be a massive coup. As big as getting the Jugdral games? Maybe not. But I'll take my wins wherever they come.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Conversely, there will be some people who haven't played the original, but actively want a remake

Oh, hey, that's me. But on the other hand, I also actively want a remake of Binding Blade. And a remake of Path of Radiance. And a brand new Fire Emblem game in a new setting. And a sequel to Three Houses. And a sequel to Tokyo Mirage Sessions. And... you get the picture. Of all the people who actively want a Genealogy remake, how many of them would place it as their single top most-wanted next Fire Emblem game?

At the end of the day, it's pretty much guaranteed that IS is working on something Fire Emblem related, and I'll happily accept pretty much anything on that front. And it will come out when it comes out. I don't want a bad, rushed game. And I also don't want for a game to be announced early and then go through multiple delays. I'd much rather wait.

I think the presence of blue in the Zelda trailer is pretty cute. They revert back to everyone's traditional style but still pay a bit of homage to the main design chance introduced in BOTW.

It won't happen due to this game clearly being part of Zelda's ''NES era'' but I think it would be really cool if Ganondorf had his transformation switched up. Normally he transforms from a man into a boar, but what if he were to turn from a boar into the giant daddy of a man introduced in Hyrule Warriors and Tears of the Kingdom.

Because aside from the design being amazing its also a lot more imposing than a fat pig.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the presence of blue in the Zelda trailer is pretty cute. They revert back to everyone's traditional style but still pay a bit of homage to the main design chance introduced in BOTW.

It won't happen due to this game clearly being part of Zelda's ''NES era'' but I think it would be really cool if Ganondorf had his transformation switched up. Normally he transforms from a man into a boar, but what if he were to turn from a boar into the giant daddy of a man introduced in Hyrule Warriors and Tears of the Kingdom, because aside from the design being amazing its also a lot more imposing than a fat pig.

I figured that the blue was because of the emphasis on wisdom; green represents Farore and courage, blue represents Nayru and wisdom, and red represents Din and power. That's also a good interpretation.

Ganondorf in a 2D Zelda game would be cool to see, as I'm pretty sure that he always is Ganon in the 2D games and has only been Ganondorf in the 3D games.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yes, if not moreso! The original Gaiden sold less than the original Genealogy, at only about a third of a million. And we didn't have Engage, nor a full-swing Heroes, to promote its characters. I would absolutely balk at the notion that "millions of people are asking Nintendo for a Gaiden remake"! I'd say a couple hundred thousand, at the most.

For my part, I wasn't in the "actively asking Nintendo to remake Gaiden" camp. But I bought it, and now it's one of my favorite FE titles. So while it sold around a million copies, I'd wager that the crowd specifically asking for a remake was a fraction of that.

Huh, I didn't know about it showing up on the Wii. That helps its case somewhat. As would the Wii U, if anyone had actually bought that console LOL.

Regarding 3DS, I assume it was a "New 3DS exclusive" in Japan? I'd love to see the game running on that system.

Have multiple millions of people played Genealogy? At this point - probably, yes. Does that mean multiple millions of people are actively asking for a remake of the game? See, that's a totally different question. Plenty of folks who have played the original game don't care about a remake - because they didn't enjoy it, or it works fine for them as-is, or they just grew out of gaming. Conversely, there will be some people who haven't played the original, but actively want a remake - those who've enjoyed "Let's Plays" on YouTube, or are curious about the characters from their other canonical appearances.

Which group outweighs the other? Hard to say, really... although I lean toward the former. I could believe that, maybe, there are a solid million fans out there, who are gung-ho for a remake (and I'm one of them). But that feels like a high estimate, and crossing into the million(s) seems stretchier still.

How many people are actively asking for it is not really important. It's how many people will actively buy it. And between people who have played it in it's original form and liked it (but were somewhat frustrated by the elements that haven't aged as well) and people who are general fans of the franchise, quite a few people would buy it. Especially if they advertise it as "the original Three Houses".

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Could they "skip ahead" to the GBA titles? For sure. But there's not as compelling a reason to do so. 

The compelling reason is money. The nostalgia factor for GBA is bigger than SNES nostalgia, especially in the west. But considering how well GBA lord's to in stuff like Heroes compared to Jugdral lords, I'd say it's probably true in Japan too. Hey confidently gave us Lyn in Fire Emblem Warriors as DLC which had zero Jugdral characters entirely.

Regarding Prime 4, who is the character that appears at the end of the Metroid Prime 4 trailer? I've seen people online talk about that character appearing at the end like it's a big reveal, but I have played Metroid Prime Trilogy and I have no idea who it is. Is this the person whose ship was following Samus at the end of Prime 3?

Overall, I am definitely looking forward to Prime 4, but I do have one small concern about it; namely, the controls. I played Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U, and it was easy to just hold the Wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right, enabling me to aim Samus' arm cannon with my left hand since I'm left-handed. From what I was able to gather about Metroid Prime Remastered, it, like every Switch game with gyro controls except Nintendo Switch Sports, mapped all the gyro/pointer controls to the right joy-con's gyro with no option to have those controls mapped to the left joy-con's gyro instead (and both joy-cons have the exact same hardware for motion controls). I'm just a little concerned that, without a left-handed option, the controls in Prime 4 will feel like a significant downgrade for me.

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Regarding Prime 4, who is the character that appears at the end of the Metroid Prime 4 trailer? I've seen people online talk about that character appearing at the end like it's a big reveal, but I have played Metroid Prime Trilogy and I have no idea who it is. Is this the person whose ship was following Samus at the end of Prime 3?

Overall, I am definitely looking forward to Prime 4, but I do have one small concern about it; namely, the controls. I played Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U, and it was easy to just hold the Wii remote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right, enabling me to aim Samus' arm cannon with my left hand since I'm left-handed. From what I was able to gather about Metroid Prime Remastered, it, like every Switch game with gyro controls except Nintendo Switch Sports, mapped all the gyro/pointer controls to the right joy-con's gyro with no option to have those controls mapped to the left joy-con's gyro instead (and both joy-cons have the exact same hardware for motion controls). I'm just a little concerned that, without a left-handed option, the controls in Prime 4 will feel like a significant downgrade for me.

I believe that was Sylux - one of the rivals in Metroid Prime Hunters and a favorite to get in Smash.

6 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I believe that was Sylux - one of the rivals in Metroid Prime Hunters and a favorite to get in Smash.

Ah, I see. Thanks. That would explain why I've never seen Sylux before; I've never played Metroid Prime Hunters. I've only played the Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid, and Metroid Dread.

I know it wouldn't totally make sense lore wise but I'd be trice as hyped if it was Ravenbeak who was in Sylux place. He's just too imposing of a figure to serve as a one and done kind of villain.

Not that I'm complaining. Sylux has been set up for over a decade now so they must have big plans with him. Or her. Definitely her. 

36 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I know it wouldn't totally make sense lore wise but I'd be trice as hyped if it was Ravenbeak who was in Sylux place. He's just too imposing of a figure to serve as a one and done kind of villain.

Not that I'm complaining. Sylux has been set up for over a decade now so they must have big plans with him. Or her. Definitely her. 

Raven Beak was a cool antagonist, but one of the things that helped him work was that he was unknown and a surprise: the idea of a living Chozo that's a villain was a big surprise, and Samus is just as surprised as the player by his existence. For him to appear chronologically earlier would make him no longer a surprise. He could work as a greater-scope villain that's content to stay behind-the-scenes, but not as a villain that appears in front of Samus.

By any chance, was Sylux the one whose ship was in a post-credits scene of Prime 3?

Regarding Echoes of Wisdom, one of the first things I noticed in the trailer when I watched it was cracked walls; I thought little of it since they appear before the Tri Rod is revealed to be item that the gameplay revolves around. Now, I'm wondering how the cracked walls will work: will there be a bomb echo (and, if so, will other items appear as echoes), or will enemies such as bombchus appear and be echoes?

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Metroid Prime has never really cared about making lore coherent with the main series. The fact that we see Metroids just casually floating around in the trailer here too suggests that has not changed.

To be fair, the Prime games are supposed to take place before Samus Returns, if I'm not mistaken. So it's perfectly plausible the Space Pirates still have access to Metroid "stock" in Prime 4. What I wonder is how Prime 4 will involve Metroid Prime, seeing as the Prime series is named after her (of course, Prime Hunters didn't involve her either, but it was also intended to be a side game). I suppose it's possible she's cloned?

On that note, I've long liked the idea of someone cloning Samus in the series - and no, not in the way Metroid Prime or SA-X did. I mean an honest-to-goodness clone of Samus, perhaps bioengineered for some kind of nefarious cause.

Edited by Lord_Brand

18 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

What I wonder is how Prime 4 will involve Metroid Prime, seeing as the Prime series is named after her (of course, Prime Hunters didn't involve her either, but it was also intended to be a side game). I suppose it's possible she's cloned?

I think it is very likely that, at this point, Metroid Prime is going to be something of an artifact title (what TV Tropes calls a series title that only makes sense in the first set of installments and begins to make less sense as the series goes on; a good example being how the Mega Man Star Force games are named after a power that the protagonist only has in the first game). 

The Metroid Prime/Dark Samus's storyline is done; all the phazon was supposed to be destroyed at the end of Prime 3, and Dark Samus killed alongside it since it was a product of phazon. It's more than just lore/plot, as Prime 3 was very much built around being the climactic finale to the phazon storyline, and the Metroid Prime/Dark Samus is an inextricable part of that. Prime 3 would lose a large chunk of its appeal if it turned out to not be such a finale after all, and it would feel a bit cheap in Prime 4 if it were revealed that Dark Samus was able to somehow survive/return (just saying that is giving me, "Somehow, Palpatine returned" flashbacks). So I imagine that Prime 4 will be a new start with a new storyline and, if they want the Prime name to still make sense, they will attach it to something new to Prime 4.

Don't get me wrong; I'm well aware that the series is no stranger to cloning villains that were supposed to have been killed off (if I remember what I read correctly, Ridley was cloned at least twice so he could appear in games that took place after Super Metroid). I'm just saying that I don't think it's very likely.

54 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

To be fair, the Prime games are supposed to take place before Samus Returns, if I'm not mistaken. So it's perfectly plausible the Space Pirates still have access to Metroid "stock" in Prime 4. What I wonder is how Prime 4 will involve Metroid Prime, seeing as the Prime series is named after her (of course, Prime Hunters didn't involve her either, but it was also intended to be a side game). I suppose it's possible she's cloned?

On that note, I've long liked the idea of someone cloning Samus in the series - and no, not in the way Metroid Prime or SA-X did. I mean an honest-to-goodness clone of Samus, perhaps bioengineered for some kind of nefarious cause.

Them having stocks of Metroids all over the place is precisely what I don't like about the lore. The Metroid Prime series does not apply the same weight to Metroids as the main series does. They're just there, casually wherever the pirates go because it's the Metroid series so Metroids have to be there. While in the main series Metroids are rare and significant. Their presence is contained and even their DNA is a vital commodity. Does it make a huge amount of sense that what is essentially an animal would be so powerful and feared in a space fairing setting. Eh, not really, but the Alien series manages to get away with it too. In the Prime series though, Phazon just overshadows Metroids completely in it's threat level and utility. It just doesn't gel with what the main series has going on to pretend all these events occur in the same universe. It'd almost make more sense being a separate series entirely. But, if it were then Metroid would certainly be a dead series and people would only know Samus from Smash Bros.

Everyone thinks they're so hecking clever with The Legend of Link jokes which have been around for at least a decade, applying mostly to the CDI games. Nobody realizes my name for it so much funnier. The Legend of Zelda: Asset Flip

Man don't get me started on Metroid Prime's "place in the timeline", cramming all those games in between Metroid 1 and 2. Implying that the Galactic Federation waited until the Metroids have been distributed to the furthest reaches of the galaxy before they decided "okay, they're at least as much of a threat that we should greenlight Samus' mission to eradicate their home world". But only after all those adventures does she encounter the Baby, realize Metroids are living creatures just like us, get saved by it, get saved by it AGAIN years after it dies, and the outbreak of the X parasite shows us that the only future for our galaxy is co-existence. Just because we can play God doesn't mean we should. Metroid 2 works much better as an immediate sequel to Metroid 1 in terms of characters making good-intentioned mistakes. If anything Prime should be the generations-later sequel series, not Metroid 2 to Dread

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

6 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Everyone thinks they're so hecking clever with The Legend of Link jokes which have been around for at least a decade, applying mostly to the CDI games. Nobody realizes my name for it so much funnier. The Legend of Zelda: Asset Flip

Asset reusing is nothing new to Zelda games. The Oracle games used a lot of assets from Link's Awakening DX, Majora's Mask reused a ton from Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks reused from Phantom Hourglass, and even Twilight Princess was made using a modified version of Wind Waker's engine and the Goron Mines dungeon was very likely a recycled version of a dungeon that was scrapped from Wind Waker. It was inevitable that assets from Link's Awakening remake were going to be reused; most just thought they would be reused for an Oracle games remake, rather than a new game. This really is nothing new.

I do agree about the "The Legend of Link" jokes being overdone; personally, I think the funnier jokes are jokes about Zelda using tables and chairs to fight enemies.

EDIT: Speaking of Echoes of Wisdom, I've seen people theorize that either Link or Shadow Link will be an echo in the game. I think that a Link or Shadow Link echo would be cool, but the Shadow Link theory got me thinking: what if a Shadow Zelda appears in the game at some point as a boss or mini-boss? We did get something close in Tears of the Kingdom with (spoilers for Tears of the Kingdom below)

Spoiler

Phantom Ganon disguising itself as Zelda, though it was ultimately fought without its disguise.

I guess really the question is how feasible would it be to have an enemy in the game that also potentially can create echoes? I imagine one way to make it easier to implement would be to restrict Shadow Zelda to only creating echoes of enemies, making them essentially an enemy-summoner boss.

Edited by vanguard333

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Asset reusing is nothing new to Zelda games. The Oracle games used a lot of assets from Link's Awakening DX, Majora's Mask reused a ton from Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks reused from Phantom Hourglass, and even Twilight Princess was made using a modified version of Wind Waker's engine and the Goron Mines dungeon was very likely a recycled version of a dungeon that was scrapped from Wind Waker. It was inevitable that assets from Link's Awakening remake were going to be reused; most just thought they would be reused for an Oracle games remake, rather than a new game. This really is nothing new.

I do agree about the "The Legend of Link" jokes being overdone; personally, I think the funnier jokes are jokes about Zelda using tables and chairs to fight enemies.

EDIT: Speaking of Echoes of Wisdom, I've seen people theorize that either Link or Shadow Link will be an echo in the game. I think that a Link or Shadow Link echo would be cool, but the Shadow Link theory got me thinking: what if a Shadow Zelda appears in the game at some point as a boss or mini-boss? We did get something close in Tears of the Kingdom with (spoilers for Tears of the Kingdom below)

Hide contents

Phantom Ganon disguising itself as Zelda, though it was ultimately fought without its disguise.

I guess really the question is how feasible would it be to have an enemy in the game that also potentially can create echoes? I imagine one way to make it easier to implement would be to restrict Shadow Zelda to only creating echoes of enemies, making them essentially an enemy-summoner boss.

You've just reminded me that they went and made Hilda aka Evil Zelda the twist antagonist of A Link Between Worlds, but then didn't give us an actual boss fight with her for no good reason at all.

So I've been looking into that Metal Slug game. It's a full conversion of a mobile gacha game that shut down last year with all the real world money transactions removed. Resource acquisition rebalanced. Units rebalanced. No daily log in bonuses, limited time/seasonal events, or player stamina system. So you go at your own pace and can grind everything with time. I'm very interested in this model of un-gacha'd gacha game, and whether it can work for Fire Emblem Heroes

5 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Now see, you're missing the double meaning. It's not about deriding the game as an Asset Flip. The joke is that Asset Flipping is the game's central verb. Hitting Copy on an object, and pressing Paste to put it where it doesn't belong. 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

You've just reminded me that they went and made Hilda aka Evil Zelda the twist antagonist of A Link Between Worlds, but then didn't give us an actual boss fight with her for no good reason at all.

Oh, yeah. I honestly didn't mind that when I first played it; I minded more that the return of Ganon was built up immensely only for Yuga to absorb him and continue being the villain. After Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom gave us Ganon being the main villain again, I don't mind that so much anymore, and yeah; not fighting Hilda after the reveal is noticeable.

What do you think is the likelihood of there being a Shadow Zelda in this game as a boss or mini-boss?

5 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Now see, you're missing the double meaning. It's not about deriding the game as an Asset Flip. The joke is that Asset Flipping is the game's central verb. Hitting Copy on an object, and pressing Paste to put it where it doesn't belong. 

Ah, I see. That makes sense. That is fairly funny. I guess I've just seen asset flipping be derided enough recently that my mind immediately thought of that, rather than it referring to the central gameplay gimmick.

I've even seen people deride the reuse of assets from the Link's Awakening remake. I will admit that I myself initially thought the choice to have the same art style was a bit odd, since I thought the reason for that art style in Link's Awakening remake was because the game took place in a dream, but the art style is charming enough that I like that they reused it for this game.