Fire Emblem: Dark Stone - FE8, but you play as the bad guys! [Overhaul with a new story]

On 7/2/2024 at 3:08 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

I also made one for FE6 if you want to see more. It's a much smaller and in ways clunkier hack but hey, it exists!

I'll definitely take a look, great stuff!

v1.7 released!

• Fixed a sniper on the overworld not disappearing after the intro to chapter 22.
  • Changed the generals that appear in the arena to the version without great shield.
  • Zabba’s resistance growth has been increased by 5%. @Pengaius

Very small patch this time. With any luck this will require less versions than the previous two hacks.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Zabba’s resistance growth has been increased by 5%.

More. MOOOORE.

Posted (edited)

v1.8 released!

• Increased Selena and Beran's luck by 1. Lowered their growths to compensate.
  • Added talismans to the Rausten secret shop on the worldmap for the postgame.
  • Increased Morva's experience gains slightly and his base strength by 3.
  • Moved Melina's first scene in chapter 6 to immediately after the start of the chapter.
  • Updated the guide to reflect the different promotion options of the two monk variants. Yeah, again. I just checked and immediately after 1.6 I started uploading an outdated version of the guide I had in my other computer lol. If anyone notices any other discrepancies, please let me know.

On 7/9/2024 at 7:19 PM, Pengaius said:

More. MOOOORE.

No. All in moderation, Butterman.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

v1.9 released!

• Changed the menu class of Lyon’s necromancer class and Morva’s manakete class to an unused class with a power level of 0 to avoid potential issues. This should not impact their experience gains, and there are no issues that I am aware of currently, but this was brought to my attention and I decided better be safe than sorry.
  • Lowered Orson’s luck by 1 so it’s tied for the lowest luck in the hack. For flavor.
  • Updated the guide to fix a number of inconsistencies and mistakes.

v1.10 released!

• Fixed a tile in chapter 26 not having the correct platform and background assigned, and a tile in chapter 9 not having the correct platform assigned.
  • Fixed L’Arachel’s AI change in chapter 26x potentially causing issues.
  • Fixed the secret book on the boat in chapter 13 not being droppable.
  • Made playable Morva’s class unpromoted, to further increase his experience gains.
  • Increased the boost of secret books and goddess icons to +4 skill and luck, respectively.
  • Increased unlock staff’s range to 1-3

Good to see you doing well for yourself Ruben.
Some point I'll have to work out a way to try this. Been a long time since I touched an emulator.
Might have to look into trying my own romhacks as well, if I ever find the free time again.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Good to see you doing well for yourself Ruben.
Some point I'll have to work out a way to try this. Been a long time since I touched an emulator.
Might have to look into trying my own romhacks as well, if I ever find the free time again.

Eyyy, The Roger! Good to hear from you. Yeah, I've been keeping busy haha. If you end up trying this out, I hope you enjoy it!

v1.11 released!

• Raised Joshua’s luck so he’s less likely to die from a random crit.
  • Lowered a chapter 4 merc’s skill by 1 so Caellach isn’t immediately at risk of dying from a random crit.

I apologize for the updates in quick succession, but this one’s kinda important. I was going to put this in the previous patch but there were a couple kinks that needed to be ironed out.

v1.12 released!

• (Hopefully) wrapping up the experience gains arc: The hack’s EXP formula has been changed. Getting down to brass tacks, this shouldn’t affect most units - The main effect is that Lyon now has actual unpromoted experience gains. Previously it was in a “close enough for me” state.
    Big thanks to ATHATH, who graciously did the heavy lifting on this! I simply took the solution they provided to me.
  • Added a guide entry unlocked at the end of chapter 5 noting that the hack only uses master seals to avoid any confusion.

v1.13 released!

• Removed a mercenary from chapter 2 to make Valter less likely to fly east and get murdered before the player can do anything about it. I can’t believe this has never been reported.
  • Swapped Orson’s vulnerary for a concoction in chapter 5x to hopefully make him less difficult to keep alive.
  • Reverted Orson’s luck nerf. The flavor of him having the lowest luck in the hack is funny to me but it also made him take 1% crit chances in chapter 5x, so uh. Sorry 'bout that.

On 7/24/2024 at 3:55 PM, Saint Rubenio said:
  • Swapped Orson’s vulnerary for a concoction in chapter 5x to hopefully make him less difficult to keep alive.

Finally!

On 7/24/2024 at 3:55 PM, Saint Rubenio said:
  • Reverted Orson’s luck nerf. The flavor of him having the lowest luck in the hack is funny to me but it also made him take 1% crit chances in chapter 5x, so uh. Sorry 'bout that.

Just buff other units' luck.. ez

And now its time to show my unfinished team (at ch 22) since i can never finish a hack without taking long breaks. Warning, its long and i'll post it in parts, dont want to lose all the writing accidentally like before..

Spoiler

All my units are promoted at 20 and only lyon used a stat booster, angelic robe.

Mages:

1.png.3459a8396a031c508e331fda0cc50e0a.png

Getting the question out first, im not sure if i should even do his last support (according to the guide he loses his dark rank..) unless the reward is really good. rn, he is a nuke with his flute aside from the regular bard stuff.

2.png.079cd0d1f6c6f07c094f33293c138082.png

His bulk aside, he is consistently good thanks to nosferatu and proving a staffer with supply access is broken.

16.png.2adfed99d8ab06b79ee79e204e18a82c.png  11.png.63cd1190f333f8844ba7c502ee6ea4ae.png

Novala was great thanks to his bulk and both lyon and his summon made the last map pretty easy.

I wanted to do the canon promotion for Riev, but i can never pass up a dark mage. He was the best among the generals in early game.

9.png.700eebb7b44bc330a4a61b663ce80574.png  17.png.2a1c08889546c10aeddd9ab8df0c33ba.png

Both are really good, though they didnt get to promote for a while thanks to not having enough master seals.

21.png.ecc17de547da97a50b69047140460f19.png  14.png.2525b9e4ddb9944aeae847c16e069285.png

Sorry about the snapshots, didnt notice before and too lazy to redo them..

Saaga was fine as a backup staffer, but is a bit generic.

McGregor is great and i needed a light mage fast and he didnt disappoint.

Monsters:

12.png.ee376bda4cdb1faa24015e01ab7a73cc.png  28.png.787e4a4057c96cec52f44871ad8a5d0b.png  23.png.a196c78f4d7846f6d3cedd1c893919fb.png

The spider was my earlygame mvp, fell off a bit when i benched him after promotion.

Penelope was.. disappointing. A frontliner that cant enemy phase due to poor bulk. She kills anyone that attacks her but cant take the next enemy's hit. I regretted not picking the bonewalker early instead. Idk if i was just unlucky but unlike myrms, she couldnt dodge tank either.

Monlica was hard to keep alive at first, but still did well thanks to having better weapons earlier than the other two.

Bow Users:

22.png.0d557fbfbc3c91546f652bb8f8fbfb64.png  8.png.bc41f42eea8876c2d86cbc7b6ca45de4.png  29.png.94e25a7340209c64f73eb782316c01b7.png

Beran was my mvp throughout the game alongside bazba. I already liked him in vanilla and sniper being my favorite FE class, the choice was obvious.

Hayden suffered from being another unit that needed the promotion but i wasted a lot of master seals promoting units i wasnt even using.

I used Binks as a primary bow user and he did well. Not to mention the class, you buffed them to crazy levels, arguably the best class in the game.

Axe Users:

4.png.e7e6ca6c2232225b9d5560d3c376c012.png  20.png.a4ea60dd2fac92117b1ce5119f524646.png 

Idk if this is a visual glitch but Bazba gets to break his speed caps thanks to rennac's talk convo last map. He was my best unit early to midgame. His best achievement, soloing the chest room and rescuing mcgregor in gheb's map.

Melina was another juggernaut after the early levels. Was thinking of going archer, but lack of axe users in early game made me go fighter and now i have too many warriors and too less snipers..

10.png.fb33df3c8c45e24926348ab01e0e158c.png  6.png.0d1611b28a2b50a326199790c5b8c965.png

Went hero with O'Neill for variety, but he also would prefer warrior.

Iirc it was the support convo with zabba that made me want to use Bone. He did fine as a primary thief.

Riders and Flyers:

3.png.d55770c3173593c1f96b75bb0711ce69.png  19.png.82279dc5df505a709063f654d3cc86b2.png  30.png.366d835b2f4900b6edca2679e6274229.png

I forgot Aias gets to be a falcoknight here, otherwise i would make orson the great knight. But he got to save his speed thanks to turning the pegasus down. As an unit he did what i expected him to do, a mounted tank.

Orson didnt perform as good due to his average bulk, probably the best contender for stat boosts.

I simply used Murray's brigade as a meme, but he still performed well.

7.png.4eeb39ff760a53752b6230589a6ba98c.png  18.png.8ef2033b45fb3bc5e4a7b35bef983738.png  27.png.781108a2580ea926204e3e8b5fa6e19c.png

Liselott would go wyvern if i went falco aias, she was a really good unit throughout.

Valter and Glen were wierd. Early game, valter did really well while glen was pretty useless. Midgame, glen's bulk made him much more valuable while valter struggled. Now after promotion, valter is again doing great while glen havent got to play yet.

Knights:

13.png.9230d15b8fdf6b0d81120039b7df8bea.png  24.png.743527cc072df4169f162721b5af567e.png  15.png.babf8ad0bf8e9f53b9a840db05b98a18.png

The knights trio would be in my final team if saar didnt do so terrible. 

Tirado did great and probably the only knight i'll use till the end. Breguet did great early but he was another unit held up due to late promotion.

Sword Users:

5.png.b530a741b15b35fa868ae3e667d8ced8.png  26.png.158cb8cb6476fd8b8fef7be8dc55c345.png  25.png.e9699ab3544b062f21cf0b14954782b6.png

Assassin is another of my favorite class, only reason i didnt use them much here was lack of seals and zabba doing terrible till her promotion. 

Carlyle was my primary sword user early and he did great. Caellach didnt do as well, but was fine.

Overall, i liked the cast and would love if more slots were available. All of the other units i trained upto lv20 and promoted the ones that did well. I also liked what you did with knoll and garcia. Although, beating them was super easy due to the summons and sleep staff. Looking forward to more surprises after this.

*Edit: Idk if this was intentional but currently at ch23 and i cant even get all the convo at once in this map.. you need 15 units to get all the talks and boss convo since lyon is mandatory but you get 14 deployment slots.

Edited by ranger016
long post

To celebrate the (almost) one month anniversary of the hack, here’s a couple of neat things.

v1.14 released!

• Medusa now joins with the stone item in the main campaign. I hadn’t done that initially because it was broken against bosses - Big thanks once again to ATHATH, who made a script that grants bosses immunity to the stone status effect.
  • SPOILERS no longer loses weapon ranks on chapter 25. At first I did it because there were no animations available for them, but I have now made some myself. I am no animator but I think they turned out decently.
  • Djieien now joins with both a poison claw and a lethal talon. The lethal talon obtainable in chapter 15 is now instead a large talon, which is no longer dropped by a reinforcement in chapter 25.
  • Slightly shifted Orson’s starting position in chapter 5x so he can better choose which corridor to go down to when he escapes.
  • Fixed Riev’s battle convo with L’Arachel not playing in chapter 26x.
  • Increased Beran, Selena and Pablo’s luck by 1.
On 7/25/2024 at 8:35 AM, ranger016 said:

And now its time to show my unfinished team (at ch 22) since i can never finish a hack without taking long breaks. Warning, its long and i'll post it in parts, dont want to lose all the writing accidentally like before..

Oh shoot! I almost missed your post.

Spoiler

Getting the question out first, im not sure if i should even do his last support (according to the guide he loses his dark rank..) unless the reward is really good. rn, he is a nuke with his flute aside from the regular bard stuff.

Bit late by now I imagine, but well, the support gives him 1 movement which is helpful for his bard stuff in the final few chapters. He also gets a good ending from it and then regains dark in the postgame, though as I recall it's a low level so you have to grind it up again.

I used Binks as a primary bow user and he did well. Not to mention the class, you buffed them to crazy levels, arguably the best class in the game.

That's funny considering Binks doesn't really enjoy the benefits of warrior which mostly stem from their shiny new promotion gains. He does get sure strike, but I can't imagine it's that helpful to him, since he focuses on the more accurate bows anyway.

Idk if this is a visual glitch but Bazba gets to break his speed caps thanks to rennac's talk convo last map.

Implementing cap checks for talk stat boosts would've been a massive nuisance. The overflowed stat is real, but it is adjusted back down to the cap when the unit enters a round of combat, so consider it a temporary boost that lasts one battle. Feature, not bug!

I forgot Aias gets to be a falcoknight here, otherwise i would make orson the great knight. But he got to save his speed thanks to turning the pegasus down

He actually gets more speed from turning down the promo. Falco is still probably better but I figured I wouldn't make it the only viable option for those who'd rather keep him grounded.

I simply used Murray's brigade as a meme, but he still performed well.

I think that's the first time I see someone use Murray's Brigade. At least, of the people that have been posting and sharing their teams. Good to see the poor guy get some love.

*Edit: Idk if this was intentional but currently at ch23 and i cant even get all the convo at once in this map.. you need 15 units to get all the talks and boss convo since lyon is mandatory but you get 14 deployment slots.

In the lategame getting all the talk convos gets tricky, I would recommend only grabbing the ones for the units you intend to use or like.

...Still, I'm fairly certain it's possible to get all convos in all maps, even if in some it requires full deployment of talk units. Ch.23 only has 10 units that talk. Even if you meant ch.24, that has 14 units, with one of the convos having no effect and being skippable under most circumstances.

Posted (edited)

v1.15 released!

• Buffed avoid and hit boosts from supports. The support formula makes it weird when they’re not multiples of 5. Still less powerful than in vanilla due to the avoid formula but it should at least be noticeable now.
  • Changed Agrippina and Djieien’s affinities.
  • McGregor now joins with a restore staff. Chapter 21 no longer has a droppable restore.
  • Phantoms are now promoted. This shouldn’t have any effects other than letting them retain S rank should they need it.
  • Made the demon king able to summon. I could not put limits to his vanilla horde summon, so he only summons draco zombies like any other summoner. I know, I could have used cyclops here, but I won’t lie, it felt like a profoundly underwhelming summon for the guy.
  • Added a stealable red gem on a myrmidon in chapter 10. Moved stealable red gem on chapter 12 from the ranger reinforcement to the priest at the start.
  • Novala and SPOILER’s conversation in chapter 9 now grants them a C support. Added a special conversation between Agrippina and Lieselotte to chapter 22. I know, I know, way too many convos in that map, but both of them already had convos there so it was the least intrusive place to put it, really.
Edited by Saint Rubenio

v1.16 released!

• Fixed bard being an unpromoted class and thus being unable to retain S ranks.
  • Slightly modified a cutscene in chapter 16 to correct a lore inconsistency.
  • Modified Amelia’s con to match her vanilla value.
  • Added variations to the scenes of villages in chapters 10 and 15 for certain characters that are likely to visit them.

v1.17 released!

• Made it impossible to rescue Tiffani in chapter 5 and the spy in chapter 11. Even with unpromoted Saaga.
  • Swapped the chapter 11 spy’s weapon to a lancereaver.
  • Fixed the stationary dracozombie becoming able to move without displayed movement in chapter 27.
  • Added number of turns until the boss spawns to chapters 16 and 28.
  • Added hints to the dialogue of chapter 16 to make the points where the enemy will board from more clear. Also made the rightmost chest visible at the start.

I may have forgotten to post a changelog here

v1.18 released!

• Golden Blade now only works as a hoplon guard for Orson, as intended. Big thanks to ATHATH once more for providing the code needed to make this possible! Also tweaked the sword’s stats a bit.
  • Added the golden blade to one of the secret shops of the postgame, since I neglected to do it before.
  • Triangle Attack now properly only works when all three knights are either knights or generals. No more initiating a janky TA with great knights. Thanks to ATHATH for this fix as well.
  • Added a battle convo in chapter 18.

Not making any promises here, but if I were to add a new playable character to the hack, is there any among these blokes that you’d prefer? Just thinking about it, I might end up not doing anything, but I’d like to know people’s opinion.

https://strawpoll.com/PKgleeVNoZp

(If you’ve any different suggestions, go ahead and send them, I’m just toying with ideas here)

v1.19 released!

• New playable character added! As per popular demand, no longer is there a monster class missing among the playable roster.
    Deep in the Caer Pelyn range, during a battle that would change the course of history, a fiend with a heart is swayed by the purest soul amidst the wicked…
    Multiple character convos and supports have been added for the new character as well.
  • Postgame Lagdou floor 2 has been modified to reflect this addition.
  • Added a new weapon, the greataxe. It’s basically just a bigger, meaner battle axe.
  • Changed the stat values of the special songs. Thanks to ATHATH once again for helping me to give each of them separate values.
  • Modified Agrippina’s stat progression when recruited from chapter 22 onwards.
  • Raised Binks’s skill growth to 55%, his base skill to 16 and his base level to 2.
  • Corrected a couple of unit labels in chapter 21.
  • Changed the contents of a chest in chapter 11.
  • Removed an enemy reinforcement in chapter 11 to hopefully prevent the issue where it spawned underneath another reinforcement.
  • Changed some enemy classes in chapters 28 and 29 to hopefully avoid a glitch from too many distinct classes present on the map.
  • Fixed Orson’s death quote having the wrong portrait outside of his join chapter.
  • Prep store no longer has increased prices on the items available. No changes have been made to the contents, at least for the time being.

v1.20 released!

• Fixed an issue where bosses’ stats were higher in normal mode than in hard mode. This issue may have affected Vanessa, Gerik, Saleh and Innes, so be sure to update if you’re playing on normal mode and haven’t fought those characters yet.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

v1.20 released!

• Fixed an issue where bosses’ stats were higher in normal mode than in hard mode. This issue may have affected Vanessa, Gerik, Saleh and Innes, so be sure to update if you’re playing on normal mode and haven’t fought those characters yet.

That's actually a freaking hilarious glitch XD So all the regular enemies are nerfed in normal mode but the you fight these inexplicably jacked bosses. What caused it?

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's actually a freaking hilarious glitch XD So all the regular enemies are nerfed in normal mode but the you fight these inexplicably jacked bosses. What caused it?

A setting I believed did nothing: the level setting in the unit ID. Vanessa was the first one discovered to have this issue, and when I checked the numbers on her I realized the level on her ID was lower than the level she has on chapter 11 by one. Making them coincide fixed the issue, so I went through the rest of the bosses in the game (hopefully I didn't miss any) and made sure all the levels matched up.

...I'm just rather baffled by the fact that this only affected normal mode. Huh. Now I'm wondering if I've made the same mistake the devs of FE7 did when they created stuff like Super Fergus and Maxime.